Closing a call center

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Maligned in Milwaukee in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

90 months ago

How much of a warning is a company required to give before shutting down operations? In January the corporate office all the sudden closed the call center i was working in with no warning.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth Ream in Meridian, Idaho

85 months ago

Maligned in Milwaukee in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: How much of a warning is a company required to give before shutting down operations? In January the corporate office all the sudden closed the call center i was working in with no warning.

I do not have the answer to your question, but I may have the answer to your lost job. How would you like to answer live calls from infomercials from your own home? Elizabeth 208 454-3883

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Senior Citizen in Atlanta, Georgia

85 months ago

Maligned in Milwaukee in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: How much of a warning is a company required to give before shutting down operations? In January the corporate office all the sudden closed the call center i was working in with no warning.

The answer is ZERO. There are no laws (that I have ever heard of) requiring a company to not go out of business nor to change their methods, locations or approach to business whenever they wish.

Many companies will sometimes be kind enough to offer separation compensation but they are not required to do so.

You would have to consult an attorney to determine if any such law exists.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nanlisa in Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

58 months ago

It all depends. After I lost my job as a part-time telephone agent in July, the call center that I worked in closed. There were heavy rains and thunderstorms here in the Philadelphia on Sunday, August 2. The company was located in a flood-prone area and two inches of water got into the building; damaging the call center. That Thursday (August 6), my coworker called and said that they decided to close the call center. When Tropical Storm Allison hit here in 2001, three feet of water got into the building, and they had to conduct business in the parking lot.

Also, back in the late 80's, I had worked at a medical telemarketing firm. After working there for 14 months, the company's Vice President of Sales came into our office and told us that they were closing the call center because the building's management decided not to renew their lease; and we all lost our jobs. We had worked out of a branch office, and the main office was not accesible by public transportation. To me, this was a sudden decision. I didn't know that they were delaying projects and laying people off.

Although it's sad but true, companies have the right to close up their call centers, and without warning. If that ever happens, you can always file for unemployment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.