How to get a job as teller at HSBC?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Nick in Brooklyn, New York

59 months ago

I want to apply to HSBC, I have their requirements of cash-handling, and sales. But do they require an assessment test because I keep failing it for BOA and Chase? How can I get a job as a teller at HSBC? Many thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Will Johnson in Birmingham, Alabama

56 months ago

Use a little common sense. All the questions about doing something wrong or stealing, you obviously answer "No" or "strongly disagree".

You want to be a good teammate. You also want to take care of the customer first, but in the best possible way for the company.

If you're failing the math questions, I can't help you. Try Pre-Algebra.

But, seriously, the teller assessment is a good pre-screening tool. If you can't pass it, then you probably shouldn't be a teller.

"I'm not sayin'; I'm just sayin'..."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Angela in Brooklyn, New York

49 months ago

Hey I'm also from Brooklyn and I also cannot seem to pass these assessment tests. Will Johnson is just an idiot so don't listen to him. It's people like him who encourage these foolish and inaccurate "screening tests" to dominate every single workplace. These tests are very impersonal and take away the intuitive nature of a human being to make decisions. People can smell liars and people pleasers not computers.

It's not as clean cut as he makes it and these tests do not show whether or not you will be a good teller. I didn't score the highest on the SAT's but I was still an above 3.5 gpa student in college.. so these exams do not guarantee success. I have also seen people who pass these exams with flying colors and the people I have seen do this are all thieves (my personal experience) they have stolen from almost every company they have worked for. I on the other hand am extremely trustworthy and reliable individual and still cannot seem to pass the exam with honest answers (none negative).

Obviously it does not have to do with the math section because they are extremely easy and math is my favorite subject. It is all about the personality portion of the test. I love working with or without a team and I get the job done. That is obviously not seen in these foolish assessments. They can continue to hire thieves and liars who do everything thing in their power to find the exams online and pass them with flying colors.

I would suggest to you Nick.. to apply online and then go to the branch and meet with them in person. Ask to speak to the manager and hand them your resume. See if that helps. You no longer become a name online.. you are now a person.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

EB in Garden City, Michigan

39 months ago

Angela in Brooklyn, New York said: Hey I'm also from Brooklyn and I also cannot seem to pass these assessment tests. Will Johnson is just an idiot so don't listen to him. It's people like him who encourage these foolish and inaccurate "screening tests" to dominate every single workplace. These tests are very impersonal and take away the intuitive nature of a human being to make decisions. People can smell liars and people pleasers not computers.

It's not as clean cut as he makes it and these tests do not show whether or not you will be a good teller. I didn't score the highest on the SAT's but I was still an above 3.5 gpa student in college.. so these exams do not guarantee success. I have also seen people who pass these exams with flying colors and the people I have seen do this are all thieves (my personal experience) they have stolen from almost every company they have worked for. I on the other hand am extremely trustworthy and reliable individual and still cannot seem to pass the exam with honest answers (none negative).

Obviously it does not have to do with the math section because they are extremely easy and math is my favorite subject. It is all about the personality portion of the test. I love working with or without a team and I get the job done. That is obviously not seen in these foolish assessments. They can continue to hire thieves and liars who do everything thing in their power to find the exams online and pass them with flying colors.
QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more with your post. I failed the Chase assessment, I am very honest, reliable, and trustworthy. I know I passed the mathematical portion. I called to speak with the recruiter and was told it's all automated and she can't even look at mine!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RG in Columbia, South Carolina

32 months ago

To Will - that's nice that you note the obvious answers. But... c'mon. "Just use common sense."?! I am a very common sense, shoot from the hip kind of guy. I've been in sales 10 years -- just took 4 sales assessment tests over the last week - and according to these tests I am not the right fit for pretty much any sales force. Yes, I've been successful in sales for over 10 years! I'm looking for a change and to see how companies today "judge" people based on questions in an online survey are ridiculous. I've garnered numerous awards from past employers for performance, exceeding quotas, team building, managing sales teams, etc.. Also, being honest will --not-- guarantee success on any test. A company may not choose to meet me or hire me - but I can see how they could end up with Person X who turns out to be a cheat/liar/thief or of questionable character! Have we come to this in corporate America?! Judging someone's skills via a personality test?! And FYI, I managed sales teams at various companies for a decade - I know the 7 Steps of the Sales Process inside and out and it's served me and my customers well! I have hired, trained, mentored and coached others to success as well. So I know it's not me, my personality, my choice of character, my professionalism, my work ethic, or any other facet they'd like to test. I agree with Angela above on pretty much everything she said. And EB too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Concerned in Spring Hill, Florida

29 months ago

I was a customer service trainer and worked for a telecomm company for 11 years. I took the test and failed. Applying everything I was trained to do wasn't enough. Or was it too much? The worst part is I have no way of finding out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.