Top test engineer skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every test engineer must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your test engineer expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

hasan kachal in Portland, Oregon

91 months ago

hello,
this is the first time i come across this test engineer forum.

I think this site going to help me improve some areas.

Thanks,
HK

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Cleveland, Ohio

78 months ago

six sigma black belt certification
programming: vb, c/c++, c#, any scripting language

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Somersworth, New Hampshire

76 months ago

EXPERIENCE-- it's a job that you need a lot of background in order to anticipate "what can go wrong" with DUT, operators, customers. And develop a test plan to capture these issues.

ABILTY TO CONSTANTLY LEARN -you need to know a little bit about a lot of different disciplines, to improvise and adapt techniques as required to the situation. Doesn’t matter much what you know today in a few years it will be obsolete.

SALESMENSHIP– as a test guy you can only do one of two things: a) give bad news-the DUT failed; b) give good news the device passed—(“why did we spent so much effort and $$ to test then?”) You have to constently justify yourself to Qtr-to-Qtr bean counters that do not understand and bad product on the market is a bad rap that puts everyone’s job at risk.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

alkaaby in Burnaby, British Columbia

71 months ago

1- Background of test fixture design.
2- C/C++, VB, and/or LabVIEW.
3- RF, Analog, and Digital electronics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Wade Massengill in Atlanta, Georgia

68 months ago

1.) You must be able to create your test plans and procedures from Specifications. Testing without specifications is just about pointless.

2.) You must be able to think like, to have empathy for, the end user of the finished product. Is the GUI clear and unambiguous? Are the controls simple, logically laid out, clearly labeled?

3.) You must be able to establish report with the design and development engineers. You have to write your bug reports and describe defects without annoying these people. You have to suggest improvements without sounding condescending or arrogant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mike Wascher in El Cajon, California

62 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every test engineer must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your test engineer expertise?

I have a question: Suggestions where/how to gain testing automation tools skills? Online universities or tech schools?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

David Weiser in Newhall, California

60 months ago

Mike Wascher in El Cajon, California said: I have a question: Suggestions where/how to gain testing automation tools skills? Online universities or tech schools?

A lot of the most important tools can only be gained by being allowed to dive in head first, such as documenting through an entire development life cycle and how to decide what to test 100% and what to leave to validation (for manufacturing test). In the end, your product will be paper.

Other than that, assuming you have a fair education in electronics and hardware, programming is the key skill that you can develop on your own. C, C++, C#, LabVIEW, and Java are all good tools to have in your belt. I started my career with LabVIEW, but have expanded my experience by developing mock test platforms that emulate the interface and functionality of my LabVIEW programs in C++ and C#.

If you can find the driver specification for a peripheral device you have, try writing functions to query the device for basic information. This will give you some practice in interfacing with peripherals and external libraries.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mike Wascher in El Cajon, California

59 months ago

Great comments. Does anyone recomment any recent books on the leading edge software/webware testing technologies?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.