Tips for tool and die maker interviews.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (47)

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming tool and die maker interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

Nicholas Pallotto in Brooklyn, New York

98 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming tool and die maker interview?
I,am a tool maker, for 50 years. you make different dies all the time.i love to form grind & jig bore & design,wire cutting makes my job easy.I still work two days a week. PS can't get enough
NICK from BROOKLYN

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Billy in Ardmore, Alabama

93 months ago

I've been in this trade nearly 30 years now. It is a dying trade due to manufacturing jobs leaving this country and I would not recommend it to anyone starting out. If you're already in it like me then be thankful if you still have a job.

Since there is such a wide variety of die types and sizes and piecepart quality requirements it is a good idea to research your prospective employer to see what their standards might be. For example, small high-speed dies require different skills than large panel dies. Knowing your prospective employer's products will make a good impression as well during the interview.

Remember that jobs is this field are getting scarce so you can't be too choosey these days. Show eagerness in an interview even if you're not excited by the work. Be excited by the paycheck!

Let them how versatile you can be. Everyone can operate standard machine shop equipment so CNC experience is always a plus and sometimes a necessity these days. If you don't have experience then get some, even if it's only a little. Stress any troubleshooting skills you have in an interview. Anyone can sharpen and shim a die but not everyone can troubleshoot one.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

John in Tullahoma, Tennessee

87 months ago

Being just excited by the paycheck is why the US is in trouble with manufacturing, people have gotten lazy. Have been in the trade for over 40 years and have seen shops in US,Japan,Taiwan,China and Canada.Only diemakers that whined and complained were in Canada and US. In and interview stress your mechanical abilities and how you like to get dirty and work with your hands. If you don't try something else. We are starting a hands on tool and die school because of demand locally.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

alex in Brighton, Michigan

79 months ago

Host said: Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming tool and die maker interview?

Expiriens is the bigest ,for emploeyer. If you now the staf tolk abaut it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Alexander in Southgate, Michigan

78 months ago

My apprenticeship as a tool & diemaker began at the age of sixteen in Scotland; I am now retired. CNC experience is all very nice, however to me it's similar to many people wanting to find a niche in life progamming computers instead of finding out the construction of the computer itself.
Learn to use the basic tool room equipment, the first items should be the micrometer, then the height gauge.
The machining should start with surface grinders, then if available, an I.D.- O.D grinder.
One of the most important machines is the Lathe, not only can it be used for standard turning, but with a little imagination, and a "face plate" precision boring can be accomplished also.
I believe that the Bridgeport Mill is the workhorse of every tool room, properly used, wonders can be worked.
When working for five years as an apprentice, my wages were almost non existant. To give an example, when I was twenty years old and had a further year before becoming a journeyman tool & diemaker, a pair of coveralls cost thirty shillings..my weekly wage before taxes was twenty shillings: in essence, by the time I paid bus fare, I was working for nothing, and living off my parents for five years. I learned my trade well, I have worked on tooling ranging in the manufacture of fine jewelry to heavy automotive panels. When I started serving my apprenticeship those sixty years ago, I was advised by a few journeymen to get out of it, as it was a "dying trade"... sound familiar?
Three years ago I became bored with retirement, so I applied to a small precision shop, I got the job. I re-retired in April to do some more travelling.
If it was me, I would find a shop with basic machines and offer to work for several months without pay just to learn the basics. If you become a really 'GOOD' tool & diemaker and simply not one who can merely talk a good job, and believe me there are thousands out there... I've met many of them, then there will always be a high paying job waiting for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Abe in Miami, Florida

78 months ago

I work for a company today that is looking for tool/die makers to set up a state of the art die/mold making shop at one of our plants in Honduras. All dies/molds would be used exclusively for our own manufacturing operation and not for outside use. It is impossible to find die makers down there and the ones from Mexico are few. Do you know of any excellent die/mold makers who would be willing to move to Honduras? While pay may not be equal to the USA, it would be very close and the dollar sure goes a long way there. We would need to hire quite a few people... CAD designers, die/tool/mold makers, EDM operators, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jawaid Iqbal in Cambridge, Ontario

78 months ago

Hello,I have eperance in stamping, compnd die , prag die, and all finsh and the of this month CNC programing and MasterCam from coestoga college, If you want reply me , i fax you resume . thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Abe in Miami, Florida

78 months ago

jawaid Iqbal in Cambridge, Ontario said: Hello,I have eperance in stamping, compnd die , prag die, and all finsh and the of this month CNC programing and MasterCam from coestoga college, If you want reply me , i fax you resume . thanks

EMAIL TO: GLOBAL5722@AOL.COM

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mds3211 in Staten Island, New York

77 months ago

We have a opening for one tool and die maker in Long Island New York. The person must have experience in the jewelry industry. All tools and dies are hand made. Must be a self starter and able to the make tools, dies, piercing tools with very fine detail.Good pay for the right perso. email me at mds3211@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Larry DaSchmoe in Georgetown, Kentucky

77 months ago

mds3211 in Staten Island, New York said: We have a opening for one tool and die maker in Long Island New York. The person must have experience in the jewelry industry. All tools and dies are hand made. Must be a self starter and able to the make tools, dies, piercing tools with very fine detail.Good pay for the right perso. email me at mds3211@aol.com

More information please!
I am trying to relocate from Kentucky...originally from Upstate NY... 28 years in trade...

sevket sonmez in Glenview, Illinois

75 months ago

Abe in Miami, Florida said: I work for a company today that is looking for tool/die makers to set up a state of the art die/mold making shop at one of our plants in Honduras. All dies/molds would be used exclusively for our own manufacturing operation and not for outside use. It is impossible to find die makers down there and the ones from Mexico are few. Do you know of any excellent die/mold makers who would be willing to move to Honduras? While pay may not be equal to the USA, it would be very close and the dollar sure goes a long way there. We would need to hire quite a few people... CAD designers, die/tool/mold makers, EDM operators, etc.

Yes i am very much interested of this job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Larry DaSchmoe in Georgetown, Kentucky

75 months ago

Abe in Miami, Florida said: I work for a company today that is looking for tool/die makers to set up a state of the art die/mold making shop at one of our plants in Honduras. All dies/molds would be used exclusively for our own manufacturing operation and not for outside use. It is impossible to find die makers down there and the ones from Mexico are few. Do you know of any excellent die/mold makers who would be willing to move to Honduras? While pay may not be equal to the USA, it would be very close and the dollar sure goes a long way there. We would need to hire quite a few people... CAD designers, die/tool/mold makers, EDM operators, etc.

What else do you have for Tool & Die work...
I could send you my Resume if you are interested...

Abe in Miami, Florida

75 months ago

sevket sonmez in Glenview, Illinois said: Yes i am very much interested of this job

Please email resume to: GLOBAL5722@AOL.COM

Thanks.

Dizzle in Dorr, Michigan

75 months ago

Well i just read all the comments. If I was a employer I would only hire a few guys that answered. The age of computers today and e-mail and faxing of resumes you need to really make a good first impression. First is a good resume that has ALL the words spelled correctly and good grammar. After that if you do get a interview go in with confidence. Do not go in to a interview and say "uh well I can do a lot of stuff and uh". Listen to what they are asking and think before you speak. Tell them specifically what you can do.
Also as someone said do some research. Just because you schooling is over does not mean you do not have homework. Research what the company makes for tooling. Get a idea of the customer base. Go into the interview with some questions you will ask them. That will show that you are interested in the position.

These tips seem to help me and land me jobs in the past.
I have been a Die maker for 10yrs. I am the youngest Tool maker in our shop and I get the big nasty ugly dies no one wants. I look at it as a challenge. Yes its hard but in the mass layoffs my shop has had I am still there and I have seen guys that had 20+ more years in the trade get booted out the door.

Yes Tool and Die is not as good as it use to be but there will always be a need for tool makers. (Someone needs to fix the imported tools until the shops figure it out)

So once again its all about having confidence going in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Larry in Georgetown, Kentucky

75 months ago

In 30 years I don't remember a formula for that one.
There is a formula, I am just not sure what it is...
Have you tried a Machinery Handbook, Metal Forming magazine or other trade magazine?
It is out there somehwere...
When you do find it let me know what it is...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

www.efunda.com/processes/metal_processing/stamping_blanking.cfm -

industrial press.com

try these websites
If no luck, contact a die component manufacturer and ask them...

keith in Downers Grove, Illinois

73 months ago

gcodeguy in New Providence, Pennsylvania said: Beg pardon but I'm pretty new and green when it comes to software and forums. I was looking for a forum that I could ask a question about a die that I am making right now. The die that I am making is called blanking process. I've done a lot of studing and every where I look I cannot find the answer to this question. What is the formula for the amount of excess material to insure a good blank. Does it not really matter? If my stock is .750 thick I'm pretty sure you would have to leave more than .06 around the punch. If my stock is only .031 thick can I get pretty close? When making the die the spacing between the parts should be calculated so the die is not scrap and the excess material does not move and cause a failure in the blanking process.

Sincerely, Dan
gcodeguy@gmail.com

Hello: Dan, There is a formula for figuring out your punch and Die block clearances. In general your blank is going to be the same size as your punch. There is a chart or graph out there that you can look at and see what type of material you are stamping and it will give you a percentage to mutiply it times the material thickness. This is total clearance so if your punch is round or square devide it by two and that will be your clearance for one side only. If you have any more questions just E-mail me at drhodes03@yahoo.com

dale in Westland, Michigan

71 months ago

gcodeguy in New Providence, Pennsylvania said: Beg pardon but I'm pretty new and green when it comes to software and forums. I was looking for a forum that I could ask a question about a die that I am making right now. The die that I am making is called blanking process. I've done a lot of studing and every where I look I cannot find the answer to this question. What is the formula for the amount of excess material to insure a good blank. Does it not really matter? If my stock is .750 thick I'm pretty sure you would have to leave more than .06 around the punch. If my stock is only .031 thick can I get pretty close? When making the die the spacing between the parts should be calculated so the die is not scrap and the excess material does not move and cause a failure in the blanking process.

Sincerely, Dan
gcodeguy@gmail.com

dan as a general rule 10 to 15% is standard for breakage. so if your matierial is .750 of an inch think your breakage would be .070 of an inch per side...if your material is .031 of an inch thick your breakage would be .003 of an inch per side. hope this helps with your question.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

RHAmbertx in Tularosa, New Mexico

71 months ago

Please fwd details to RHAmbertx@yahoo.com

May know someone.

salvador in Querétaro, Mexico

71 months ago

i salvador servin i a die maker with 20 years to experience in die maker if you need some help i can help you is my work fix a die problems you pay me and i go to you if i dont fix the problem you dont pay thanks and letme chance to help you

Miguel Vargas in Chicago, Illinois

71 months ago

I'm from Mexico and I finished mechincal engineering in college , and then came to the U.S and I attended school for tool and die making. I worked in progressive carbide dies and stamping dies , forming dies , and right now I'm working as a tool maker in Klein Tools.

Toolmaker in Aurora, Illinois

71 months ago

salvador in Morgan City, Louisiana said: i a die maker like 17 years i have 38 years old and i loking for jov like die maker if some body any information please contact me by e mail i want work in canada in any city i work rigth now in usa but i want work in canada thank you and have a good day. servinkt@hotmail.com

Try spell check

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

John J. in Mississauga, Ontario

71 months ago

Sincerely, Dan
gcodeguy@gmail.com

I believe its no more that 5-7% clearance depending on the material being used.

John J. in Mississauga, Ontario

71 months ago

keith in Downers Grove, Illinois said: Hello: Dan, There is a formula for figuring out your punch and Die block clearances. In general your blank is going to be the same size as your punch. There is a chart or graph out there that you can look at and see what type of material you are stamping and it will give you a percentage to mutiply it times the material thickness. This is total clearance so if your punch is round or square devide it by two and that will be your clearance for one side only. If you have any more questions just E-mail me at drhodes03@yahoo.com

yes that is the right answer

Shane Davis in Buena Vista, Georgia

70 months ago

I have been in machine shop work for 20 yrs the last 13 as a toolmaker for an aircraft co. I reall love my work. I recently got laid off and having a hard tim getting responses from the jobs I apply to online. Any advice would help. I AM WILLING TO RELOCATE!

Deval Krishan Arora in Ludhiana, India

70 months ago

Firstly thanks to indeed.com that had put alarge information in tool&die which i like most it help me to know more about tool&die.
thanks

Deval Krishan Arora in Ludhiana, India

70 months ago

John J. in Mississauga, Ontario said: yes that is the right answer

Hello Mr john i m doing tool &die making course in central toolrool in India. My course will be over in December ,so after that i want to do job. so where i should go for a job of fresher.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

rp in Freeport, New York

70 months ago

If you are intersted in a job on Long Island NY as a toolmaker please email me at mds3211@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Artie in West Lafayette, Indiana

68 months ago

keith in Downers Grove, Illinois said: Hello: Dan, There is a formula for figuring out your punch and Die block clearances. In general your blank is going to be the same size as your punch. There is a chart or graph out there that you can look at and see what type of material you are stamping and it will give you a percentage to mutiply it times the material thickness. This is total clearance so if your punch is round or square devide it by two and that will be your clearance for one side only. If you have any more questions just E-mail me at drhodes03@yahoo.com

I disagree with the blank being the size of the punch. It should be the size of the die. The punch is smaller than the die for clearance. So the shear on the O.D. of the part will be the size of the part and it will break to the punch.

Venny in Quincy, Massachusetts

68 months ago

mds3211 in Staten Island, New York said: We have a opening for one tool and die maker in Long Island New York. The person must have experience in the jewelry industry. All tools and dies are hand made. Must be a self starter and able to the make tools, dies, piercing tools with very fine detail.Good pay for the right perso. email me at mds3211@aol.com

Hi,Is still available the posission? What is the hourly vage?Reply to varkri@comcast.net

nimesh in Hartford, Connecticut

63 months ago

I am ready to come and i have seven years of experience in this field.

brandon in Toronto, Ontario

62 months ago

Alexander in Southgate, Michigan said: My apprenticeship as a tool & diemaker began at the age of sixteen in Scotland; I am now retired. CNC experience is all very nice, however to me it's similar to many people wanting to find a niche in life progamming computers instead of finding out the construction of the computer itself.
Learn to use the basic tool room equipment, the first items should be the micrometer, then the height gauge.
The machining should start with surface grinders, then if available, an I.D.- O.D grinder.
One of the most important machines is the Lathe, not only can it be used for standard turning, but with a little imagination, and a "face plate" precision boring can be accomplished also.
I believe that the Bridgeport Mill is the workhorse of every tool room, properly used, wonders can be worked.
When working for five years as an apprentice, my wages were almost non existant. To give an example, when I was twenty years old and had a further year before becoming a journeyman tool & diemaker, a pair of coveralls cost thirty shillings..my weekly wage before taxes was twenty shillings: in essence, by the time I paid bus fare, I was working for nothing, and living off my parents for five years. I learned my trade well, I have worked on tooling ranging in the manufacture of fine jewelry to heavy automotive panels. When I started serving my apprenticeship those sixty years ago, I was advised by a few journeymen to get out of it, as it was a "dying trade"... sound familiar?
Three years ago I became bored with retirement, so I applied to a small precision shop, I got the job. I re-retired in April to do some more travelling.
If it was me, I would find a shop with basic machines and offer to work for several months without pay just to learn the basics. If you become a really 'GOOD' tool & diemaker and simply not one who can merely talk a good job, and believe me there are thousands out there... I've met many of them, then there will alw

62 months ago

Extremely well put... And I have only been doing this stuff for 30 years...I can relate to most of this except I did all my training in the USA...

bela in Paso Robles, California

60 months ago

Can you give me more info? What do you manufacture?

Alexander in Allen Park, Michigan

60 months ago

Abe in Pompano Beach, Florida said: Automotive air conditioning heat exchangers (radiators, condensers, evaporators, heater cores, oil coolers, etc). Originally we were looking to set operation in Honduras, but we will most likely set up in Florida or Mississippi in the very near future.

Trying to set up a successful operation in either Florida or Mississippi and hoping to attract "truly skilled tool and die makers" will probably prove to be as fruitful as trying to set it up in Honduras.
Quality wages attracts quality workers. Always keep in mind that you only get what you pay for.
It remains a constant, garbage in, garbage out.
No doubt this was discovered in Honduras.

don h. in Sonoma, California

57 months ago

Artie in West Lafayette, Indiana said: I disagree with the blank being the size of the punch. It should be the size of the die. The punch is smaller than the die for clearance. So the shear on the O.D. of the part will be the size of the part and it will break to the punch.

I agree with you ,the die size is the size for blank die,for hard material I used to use 10% die clearance and 5% for soft material

Richard in miami florida in Miami, Florida

57 months ago

any body here looking for cnc operator like cnc milling machine cnc wire edm and cnc edm sinker.or a mold maker or a tool and die maker

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Deepinchips24 in Lindenhurst, New York

57 months ago

Looking for a tool and die or high precision shop to invest/purchase/partner in and work/supervise in the Nassau-Suffolk county area of New York. I have several of my own accounts. Email me at wvernis@optonline.net with ideas.

Jamie Hardway in Tecumseh, Ontario

56 months ago

The reality of the tooling industry is that, many of the compines want you to belive that there are more skilled workers(actual skilled/experanced touch)then jobs.
Take a look at the talent pool.
If your 30 or over you might know what I'm trying to say.
Start saying NO to the lower wages. When your given a task, get off your ass and do it. Don't delagate the work out then stare at the prints like your doing something. Everyone wants to make the money but,
you have to work for it. Now days, tool shops want to hire green horns at low wages. Well, when the job won't make a part don't call in the oldschool on a contract to get it out the door. There used to be alot of great shops in my area, but when the owners were more concerned with getting the new car or house then taking care of who made them the money people leave. Sure it is their shop but, without a great designer and a good team on the floor you got nothing. A big shop full of zero skilled workers.
You have to spend it to make it.
Chances are when it comes back and it will. A few more will be closed.
Holding back wages and games do not fly when you have another option.
Take a look around at who your working with.
Better yet look at your manager. This is what your dealing with...Stand up for all the years you have put into the trade.
A pat on the back, good job, have a beer. This doesn't pay the bills.
Remember this: The only people who are going to be there pat'n you on the back when your 70 is your family.

Marco Moreno in Santa Catarina, Mexico

53 months ago

I have a wire edm (ROBOFIL 400) and i need to know, What is the correct technologies that i need use to work in faster cut.

I´m from Matamoros, Mexico

Thank´s

Marck Moreno in Matamoros, Mexico

53 months ago

I have a wire edm (ROBOFIL 400) and i need to know, What technologies i need use to work in a faster cut.

I´ll agree all your coments.

Thank´s

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Troy Rosales Tooling manager in Bridgeton, Missouri

46 months ago

I am looking for a good experience tool and die maker in Bridgeton Missouri. Opening is for 3rd shift after training.

sanjaykumar0312@gmail.com in New Delhi, India

43 months ago

Hi, you have any sample of tool and die maker resume??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

looking for tool makers in Cleveland, Ohio

42 months ago

We are growing and highering tool makers. We have been in business 70 years in Cleveland Ohio. We are the real deal!

jawaid Iqbal in Cambridge, Ontario said: Hello,I have eperance in stamping, compnd die , prag die, and all finsh and the of this month CNC programing and MasterCam from coestoga college, If you want reply me , i fax you resume . thanks

looking for tool makers in Cleveland, Ohio

42 months ago

dcronin@wlsstamping.com. 70 years in business - great company - we are hiring.. send us a resume. We are very interested!

QUOTE who="Shane Davis in Buena Vista, Georgia"]I have been in machine shop work for 20 yrs the last 13 as a toolmaker for an aircraft co. I reall love my work. I recently got laid off and having a hard tim getting responses from the jobs I apply to online. Any advice would help. I AM WILLING TO RELOCATE!

juelner@uelnertool.com in Dubuque, Iowa

41 months ago

Would you consider relocating to Iowa? If yes, please send resume to juelner@uelnertool.com

Thank you,

Jayne

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.