Getting a tow truck driver job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (46)

Host

How did you get your start doing tow truck driver work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

owner in Morgantown, West Virginia

95 months ago

no. just good reading and writing skills. it also helps to have a pleasant demeanor as the field heavily relies on good customer relations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

bobbyphenom in Lowell, Massachusetts

78 months ago

i filled out an app. and they took me out n showed me what to do one call in a wrecker one in a ramp...it was busy that day so they just gave me a truck and said go see what u can do..i been driving ever since.. that was 8 years ago. never had any accidents or any trouble towing anything since.. now i'm unemployed and have my own wrecker to start my own..its the only way you make good money is if u have your ow truck.....its not rocket science.. jr high grad is fine..ive seen some real dummies doing this job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

bobbyphenom in Lowell, Massachusetts

77 months ago

i dont know about other places mass and r.i you dont. florida i believe u need an e or ee license.. ohio not sure. best bet is ask someone locally.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

T0ny79@yahoo.com in High Point, North Carolina

72 months ago

I'm In The Market Of Finding New Employment Because I Was LayedOff Driving Commercial Trucks I'm Interested In Driving Tow Trucks I'm Experienced And I Have Already Completed School/Training For Obtaining Class A.I Have Traveled All Around Throughout Many Different States Driving Commercial Trucks,Being That There Are Many,Many,Many Different Websites That Per Individuals Can Go Onto To Get Information About Tow Trucks I've Been On Several Websites But Where Do I Start To Look On Becoming A Tow Truck Driving.Anyone I Need Your Assistance That Will Direct Me In The Right Direction.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

kountzer in Houston, Texas

71 months ago

My ranger p/u got towed an impounded this past Sunday while I was working p/t delivering pizza. It was at this below average apt complex on beverly hill st in Houston. Tow truck driver was the one that let me in the gate. I was mad as a hornet. I don't own a gun, but if I had one, I don't know.

I had to rob Peter to pay Paul to get it out. I am still trying to catch up. It'll take a miracle for me to pay my truck note this month.

You know what though? If you can't beat them, join them. I am thinking about becoming a part time tow truck driver. They seem to have an air tight hustle. I am sure it is dangerous. I know how I felt, and to a certain extent the feeling still lingers. But hey, if it pays good, why not? I am tired of delivering pizzas part time anyway. And guess what?
My regular job is at a dps office. I don't work with titles or anything like that, just driving tests, etc. So don't get it twisted. My driving record is good. Anyone needing a p/t time tow truck driver in Houston? Hit me with an e mail.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

hd1450 in Bulverde, Texas

71 months ago

I have just accepted a position at a smaller towing company in the San Antonio/Austin area. At my current job i dont make much more than minimum wage. To get my foot in the door, I just accepted a job at a smaller towing company for less than min. wage, 70+ hrs week for training with help with certs. I have managment experience, automotive training, and a strong desire to learn and do this job. Is this a normal way to get into this industry or am I getting screwed? Any input about this is GREATLY apprecieated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

don in Missouri City, Texas

70 months ago

hey man learn the business then buy ur own truck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

snowdens in Beaufort, South Carolina

66 months ago

my father in law owned a towing company and he passed away now i have all this towing equipment and i want to keep it going but i dont know were to start anyone got any advice

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bobbyphenom in Lady Lake, Florida

66 months ago

my advice is hire the best tow driver you can find and let them help you under a supervisor/manager position. it wont come cheap cuz remember u get what u pay for.. but trust is also a major factor in selecting someone in this position.. you dont want someone that will take advantage of you. but again if you take care of them they wont think about screwing you..let them do the hiring because they know what to look for..its a complicated business to get into if you've never sat in the drivers seat..exp means everything...........wish i lived near there i could help u out..i,ve been out of work for 2 months now...going back to rhode island from florida just to work..hard times...good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bobbyphenom in Lady Lake, Florida

65 months ago

tinky winky in Houston, Texas said: I CAN GO POTTY ALL BY MYSLEF

um ok well i'm happy for you..good luck hope everything comes out ok..dont forget to wipe cuz that can become a pretty s h * t t y situation...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

snowdens in longview, Texas

65 months ago

bobbyphenom in Lady Lake, Florida said: my advice is hire the best tow driver you can find and let them help you under a supervisor/manager position. it wont come cheap cuz remember u get what u pay for.. but trust is also a major factor in selecting someone in this position.. you dont want someone that will take advantage of you. but again if you take care of them they wont think about screwing you..let them do the hiring because they know what to look for..its a complicated business to get into if you've never sat in the drivers seat..exp means everything...........wish i lived near there i could help u out..i,ve been out of work for 2 months now...going back to rhode island from florida just to work..hard times...good luck

ok that makes since but what do i do about the licens probem and i have been i the service biz a long time not in towing but in that i have learnd if some one thinks they hold all the licens then they think they that they are the biz and make poor and selfish choices because they think you owe them something and that is what im trying to get around to make the biz more stable

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mr. Giggidy in Odessa, Texas

65 months ago

snowdens in Beaufort, South Carolina said: my father in law owned a towing company and he passed away now i have all this towing equipment and i want to keep it going but i dont know were to start anyone got any advice

Call 757 two three two 4123

I may be interested. Leave a message please.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dave404 in Seffner, Florida

61 months ago

I just got on at a small tow yard> I will be driving a flat bed truck. I have no exp can some one help me on the basics i have a family to support .....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ronnie dukes in Long Beach, California

60 months ago

i need a job as a tow truck driver

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

bigman99 in Saint Catharines, Ontario

60 months ago

tinky winky in Houston, Texas said: I CAN GO POTTY ALL BY MYSLEF

SAme bro

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

STP in Houston, Texas

55 months ago

Worked for impound lots and drove a wrecker in Houston for a number of years. Had to get out of driving a wrecker. I like driving a wrecker, but all the wrecker company owners are as*holes, work you WAYYY too many hours until you burn out, then they treat you like crap on top of all that. Again, I like driving a wrecker, but not 12-14 hours a day, 7 days a week, the owners treat you like sh*t, then they sit around wondering why their drivers keep quitting on them. Duuhh. I wonder .
If i could find a job driving a wrecker 40-60 hours a week and was treated with respect and didn't get cheated on my paycheck, I'd do it again. I doubt if I'd ever find a wrecker company that treats their drivers with respect and appreciation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

t.w. lundquist in San Antonio, Texas

54 months ago

STP in Houston, Texas said: Worked for impound lots and drove a wrecker in Houston for a number of years. Had to get out of driving a wrecker. I like driving a wrecker, but all the wrecker company owners are as*holes, work you WAYYY too many hours until you burn out, then they treat you like crap on top of all that. Again, I like driving a wrecker, but not 12-14 hours a day, 7 days a week, the owners treat you like sh*t, then they sit around wondering why their drivers keep quitting on them. Duuhh. I wonder .
If i could find a job driving a wrecker 40-60 hours a week and was treated with respect and didn't get cheated on my paycheck, I'd do it again. I doubt if I'd ever find a wrecker company that treats their drivers with respect and appreciation.

i couldent aggree more with u on what u hadto say! if the owners would simply pay an hourly & tow truck driverom. it would change things but their to greedy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

t.w. lundquist in San Antonio, Texas

54 months ago

i dont get what happend..lol i meant hourly & % com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

greg in Weston, West Virginia

53 months ago

owner in Morgantown, West Virginia said: no. just good reading and writing skills. it also helps to have a pleasant demeanor as the field heavily relies on good customer relations.

hey i , ve run a small business for the last 13 years ( in trucking ) and am looking for a change . you would not happen to be hiring a light or medium duty driver . im not afraid of long hours or working nites. 304 two eight 1 3 one seven 3

greg

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

big dog in Chicago, Illinois

52 months ago

Im lookin to buy a wrecker and drive it myself as a part time gig. How
much income you think that would bring in monthly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

HR Bingham Corp in San Lorenzo, California

52 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing tow truck driver work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

BINGHAM TRUCKING CORPORATION DRIVER JOBS FLEXIBLE SCHEDULES call five, one, zero, nine, three, eight,nine, four, six, seven.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Tookie in Toronto, Ontario

52 months ago

quick question...once you get hired by the tow company....would they provide you with a truck or how does it work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

stp in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

To Tookie :
The companies will generally supply the truck. Depending on the company, you might get a nice truck in good working condition, or you might get a complete P.O.S. . I have had to drive wreckers that were in such piss-poor condition it was downright embarrassing .
With proper training, it's not a difficult job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jflatt in Humble, Texas

47 months ago

Hit me with an e mail.

I am looking for a good Tow Truck Driver. When and If you get your TDLR license hit us up - Overhaulin Pro 832-237-2TOW ask for Jason or fill out an application at www.overhaulinpro.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Matt Garrison in San Bernardino, California

45 months ago

hello,
I am currently in high school and I'm interested in becoming a tow truck driver. I'd like to know how much I would get paid an hour, and what type of license I would need to drive either a regular tow truck or what license needed to drive a rollback/flatbed tow truck. Please send me some info about being a tow truck driver and that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and have a good day

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

tow god lol in Houston, Texas

44 months ago

STP in Houston, Texas said: Worked for impound lots and drove a wrecker in Houston for a number of years. Had to get out of driving a wrecker. I like driving a wrecker, but all the wrecker company owners are as*holes, work you WAYYY too many hours until you burn out, then they treat you like crap on top of all that. Again, I like driving a wrecker, but not 12-14 hours a day, 7 days a week, the owners treat you like sh*t, then they sit around wondering why their drivers keep quitting on them. Duuhh. I wonder .
If i could find a job driving a wrecker 40-60 hours a week and was treated with respect and didn't get cheated on my paycheck, I'd do it again. I doubt if I'd ever find a wrecker company that treats their drivers with respect and appreciation.

I completely feel ya! I have been driving in houston for 23 years,know the buisness inside and out.I cant find a company who respects or understands the family needs or the finacial needs.greed takes the industry down!This industry is suffering bad due to greedy owners and the corrupted tdlr system!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

tow god lol in Houston, Texas

44 months ago

tow god lol in Houston, Texas said: I completely feel ya! I have been driving in houston for 23 years,know the buisness inside and out.I cant find a company who respects or understands the family needs or the finacial needs.greed takes the industry down!This industry is suffering bad due to greedy owners and the corrupted tdlr system!!!!

I am currently working for a company,That pays 25.00 a car plus fuel.They work you 7am to 7 pm six days a week.
Lets see average pay to company from lot 155.00.I tow 40 to 50 a week(towed 53 last week).They make 6200 to 7750 per week.Hmmmm they pay me 1000 to 1250 a week before taxes.Fuel for one week 431.00 ( last weeks bill).trucks are old and payed for.they clear 5000 per week i am still broke!!!!!!!I need a new job!!I honestly feel 50.00 a car is fair for the work involved.Go jacking,dollies and the drama.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

futuretrucker9331 in San Bernardino, California

44 months ago

ok and what kind of license would I need in order to just drive a regular tow truck and what license for a rollback tow truck?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

futuretrucker9331 in San Bernardino, California

44 months ago

what kind of license do you need if you live in Texas? I have family out in Iowa Park, Texas and wanna move out there after I graduate High School and I've been there before and I love Texas. The people, the weather, etc.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tow pro in Houston, Texas

44 months ago

futuretrucker9331 in San Bernardino, California said: what kind of license do you need if you live in Texas? I have family out in Iowa Park, Texas and wanna move out there after I graduate High School and I've been there before and I love Texas. The people, the weather, etc.

.
You will need to start with tdlr first(antichrist). Then decide what type of towing. Best option is incident management because it covers all. Then get with the county you'll be working in. There isn't a difference between flatbed or wheel lift unless driving a heavy duty( such as 18in wheeler).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

futuretrucker9331 in San Bernardino, California

44 months ago

sorry, meant to say Montana. I've been forgetting that my cousin told me that Montana is the place that I'd like, I like cold weather and it sounds like thats the place I'd love to check out. Anyways, so I do need a special license then for towing in general, so what is the license for Montana? and I think I'm gonna move to Billings, Montana which is about two days away from where I live right now

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

futuretrucker9331 in San Bernardino, California

44 months ago

Wyoming*

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AJ in Houston, Texas

43 months ago

tow god lol in Houston, Texas said: I am currently working for a company,That pays 25.00 a car plus fuel.They work you 7am to 7 pm six days a week.
Lets see average pay to company from lot 155.00.I tow 40 to 50 a week(towed 53 last week).They make 6200 to 7750 per week.Hmmmm they pay me 1000 to 1250 a week before taxes.Fuel for one week 431.00 ( last weeks bill).trucks are old and payed for.they clear 5000 per week i am still broke!!!!!!!I need a new job!!I honestly feel 50.00 a car is fair for the work involved.Go jacking,dollies and the drama.

not worth it especially if u pay the fuel. U need to make what you are making now, but the owner needs to pay for fuel!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

towhappy in Lynnwood, Washington

42 months ago

I have a good employer who pays a good rate. what you fail to realize is that the 5000 the owner clears goes to taxes, licensing, insurance(big bills), fuel, payroll for office staff,answering services, shirts, jackets, notepads, pens, and then when everyone else has had a taste, they get paid. its not easy work, but i like it and ive been at it for about 15 years. i do very little impound work....we want to be the ones you call to help when your on the side of the road. our rates are a little steeper, but we feel your getting a better service. i dont get why your paying the fuel cost at all.... 1000 to 1500 a week??? your making pretty good money...minus fuel that you paid for still equals a pretty good monthly salary for this industry. maybe its just me..but you might want to look around and see what your options are before you complain....not trying to be a jerk...just saying...im happy with 3grand a month.....maybe im just living within my means....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ajeeze in Houston, Texas

42 months ago

All of these owners want to complain about paying the fuel, but they want to send you all over the place when you are paying the bill. My gas bill alone monthly ($2000) is more than the owners truck note and the maintainence bill together monthly, and he wants to pay me 50% commission. People in this world always want something for nothing, and I work 80+ hours per week! Not a good deal!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

burkes towing in Hampton, Virginia

41 months ago

i like the towing job u see new things and go to new places that you probably havent been too before

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

wreckerdriver009 in Houston, Texas

39 months ago

pumpkingut in Ravenna, Ohio said: Do you need any special license to be a tow truck driver?

yes im a wrecker driver and you need to take some classes drug test and you will get your towing license

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

futuretrucker9331 in San Bernardino, California

39 months ago

if your driv'n a regular wheel lift tow truck, all you need is a Class C driver's license. If your driv'n a wrecker truck (truck for tow'n big rigs, school buses, trash trucks, city buses, motor home/RV's, etc.) then you need a CDL. A flatbed tow truck used for small cars and pickups also require a Class C driver license

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

futuretrucker in Crestline, California

39 months ago

I'm in 11th grade and will be dropp'n outta school in June. Do I need a high school diploma to drive either semi trucks or tow trucks? I know you need a CDL for truck'n but what license do I need to drive a wheel lift tow truck? I live in Crestline, California and I'm look'n for a good pay'n job that will buy me my first pickup, and plenty of money to pay my bills for my apartment

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

futuretrucker in Crestline, California

39 months ago

and also I will be 18 next month

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

saul perez in Houston, Texas

38 months ago

I am looking for a Job driving a flatbed roll back.. I just moved to Houston tx From pennsylvania with three years of experience.. I am 35 years old and dont mind working 12 hrs a day..so if you're in need of a good worker for your company please till free to call me at seven2four21seventhirtyone90 or email me at perezsaul66@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

foxytowgrl in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

32 months ago

Hey can anyone tell me what a flatbed driver makes in the Revere/Winthrop/Boston area? Hubby and I are thinking about moving up there to be closer to his mother (Winthrop)but not sure what the pay and opportunities are.
In fact if anyone is looking for an experienced driver in that area......
Hubby has 15 years with the same company (flatbed and wheel lift for police impound and motor club) here in Florida and although I don't drive anymore but I can handle even the worst customers, dispatch etc....My experience level is 15 years driving a flatbed, light service truck, dispatch and driver's trainer for a AAA company.
Just yell we are hoping to move by the end of the year or next summer vacation (school)at the latest.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

foxytowgrl in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

32 months ago

futuretrucker in Crestline, California said: I'm in 11th grade and will be dropp'n outta school in June. Do I need a high school diploma to drive either semi trucks or tow trucks? I know you need a CDL for truck'n but what license do I need to drive a wheel lift tow truck? I live in Crestline, California and I'm look'n for a good pay'n job that will buy me my first pickup, and plenty of money to pay my bills for my apartment

You need to be at least 18 in some states and 21 in others to operate heavy equipment and a tow truck IS considered heavy equipment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Wardenwise in Athens, Alabama

29 months ago

futuretrucker in Crestline, California said: I'm in 11th grade and will be dropp'n outta school in June. Do I need a high school diploma to drive either semi trucks or tow trucks? I know you need a CDL for truck'n but what license do I need to drive a wheel lift tow truck? I live in Crestline, California and I'm look'n for a good pay'n job that will buy me my first pickup, and plenty of money to pay my bills for my apartment

Stay in school son, so one day you can make a living, quitters never succeed, finish what you started 11 years and one to go, Finish School then get the Tow job maybe someday you can own the truck. Don't be stupid finish school

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

zsolt in Hollywood, Florida

15 months ago

bobbyphenom in Lowell, Massachusetts said: i filled out an app. and they took me out n showed me what to do one call in a wrecker one in a ramp...it was busy that day so they just gave me a truck and said go see what u can do..i been driving ever since.. that was 8 years ago. never had any accidents or any trouble towing anything since.. now i'm unemployed and have my own wrecker to start my own..its the only way you make good money is if u have your ow truck.....its not rocket science.. jr high grad is fine..ive seen some real dummies doing this job

Hi,
My name is Zsolt, thanks for doing this, im planing on doing the same thing as you said, work in the business until i get my own wrecker.
My question is what kind off money do you make as a hard worker, as a owner?.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.