Top tow truck driver skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 95)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every tow truck driver must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your tow truck driver expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

ARYAN YESSAYAN in Los Angeles, California

79 months ago

ROAD KNOWLEDGE,HIGHDROLICKS ,ANDGANG OF ASS KISSING

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

Unhooked in Los Angeles, California

77 months ago

Knowledge of every menu at every fast food place around, breakfast lunch and dinner. Able to sleep with a radio in your lap ready to wake up and jump on the next call. Must also not want to continue being married or maintaining any meaningful long term relationship with anyone outside of work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

arringtonaggrivated in Peabody, Massachusetts

73 months ago

yep... I used to work all day, all night. now i lost all my hours... work the overnights, where there is usually no calls, no pay. so ass kissing, sacrafice and being able to go 48 hours w/o sleep are always required, unlessu work for a big enough company

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

36hourshiftsblow!!! in Desert Hot Springs, California

72 months ago

Tim in Temecula, California said: I am thinking of starting as a tow driver for a large tow company in san diego. it has contracts with all the local law enforcement agencies and i see them all over the road all day...am i making a bad move. i cannot afford to make less then i am now and the hr guy at the tow company said i will make at least 30k a year and often as much as 50 k a year avg

He could easily be telling the truth, there is certainly enough money being made for you to be paid that much, but I don't think anyone in the industry would be the least bit surprised to find out he's ball face lying to you either. I always see red flags when income is bracketed like that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

The company will train you, class C will do for most of there rigs. There are some Class B and Class A tow rigs. But those are for towing Class B and Class a Rigs, which isnt a prerequisite to get employment. Hope you read the rest of the postings above your own before you get into towing though

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Dana T in Manassas, Virginia

70 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every tow truck driver must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your tow truck driver expertise?

Safety, Knowledge of Equipment and When to say no!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Dana T in Manassas, Virginia

70 months ago

Shawn in Vista, California said: Hello, I have experience as a DHL driver but the company has recently laid a lot of people off, me being one of them. I just have a class C driver’s license. I would like to know how to become a Tow Truck driver. Is there some kind of training program I need to complete? Or just apply and the company will train me?

The TRAA or Wreck Master Inc. Just type in their names and surf. Dana T

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

T in Chilliwack, British Columbia

69 months ago

hEY THERE i HAVE BEEN A TOW TRUCK DRIVER FOR 3 YEARS.DEPENDING ON THE COMPANY YOU CAN AVERAGE 300 TOO 400 HUNDRED A DAY IN YOUR POCKET.THAT IS IF YOU ARE IMPOUNDING AND REPOING CARS TO SUPPLEMENT THE RETAIL WORK.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

jspd234 in San Mateo, California

68 months ago

you cant make any real money doing it 8 2 5. the only way to make real money is to work alot of overtime and/ or commission.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Katelyn in Spotsylvania, Virginia

68 months ago

ummm my dad is a tow truck driver and he gets pad by what he tows n stuff i love going to work with him lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Ric in Richmond, Virginia

68 months ago

Back in the day, I worked for a large towing company in San Diego. No names but white trucks with blue flames is all I can say. If you are willing to work long hard hours, you may be able to make money. As in all other ventures, your additude and work ethic are paramount to success. I would often make decent money in tips if I was in a good mood that day. I have nearly 16 years of wrecker service light, medium and heavy. Not all towing companies are bad but there are only a few I have found to be good. My motto: "It can be just as hard to find a good employer as it is for a good employer to find a good employee." Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

joshie36 in Pensacola, Florida

68 months ago

I recomend not getting a job in towing unless its for a large company and you live somewhere it never snows. I did it for 3 years for a small company in norhtern Connecticut, I lost my girlfriend and almost lost my mind. If you can find a place you don't have to work on call you're golden. Also try and find a place with benefits, which is almost non existent. I will say this, if your not tuff as nails before taking a job in towing, you will be if you last.
P.S. The most I made in a year before taxes (which are outrageous in CT) was $35k. And thats working 50-60 hrs a week plus being on call @ 30-40 hrs, for a small but very busy company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Rex Coberly in Jacksonville, Florida

67 months ago

Host said: What are the top 3 traits or skills every tow truck driver must have to excel?

1.make sher all your stuff is in working order 2.chek your truck 3.be on time on all your calls

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

socalguy in Riverside, California

67 months ago

i just got hired at at a pretty big company and am getting paid hourly , and mind you i have never towed before so i was told i will be getting paid hourly $8 an hour and after training moved up to $10 an hour and a raise of 50 cents every six monthes maxing out at $13 an hour do you think these is a good deal? jobs are few and far between here in ca . a warehouse job as a temp out here starts at $10 an hour and you are not promised a job they make you think theres a chance of getting hired but thats about it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

socalguy in Riverside, California said: i just got hired at at a pretty big company and am getting paid hourly , and mind you i have never towed before so i was told i will be getting paid hourly $8 an hour and after training moved up to $10 an hour and a raise of 50 cents every six monthes maxing out at $13 an hour do you think these is a good deal? jobs are few and far between here in ca . a warehouse job as a temp out here starts at $10 an hour and you are not promised a job they make you think theres a chance of getting hired but thats about it

8 bones an hour isn't unusual, but you ought to be getting commision on top of that, atleast for any on call jobs. Be sure to get that raise after "training" (probation), otherwise you won't be banking much in the long run.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

socalguy in Riverside, California

67 months ago

36hourshiftsblow!!! in Desert Hot Springs, California said: 8 bones an hour isn't unusual, but you ought to be getting commision on top of that, atleast for any on call jobs. Be sure to get that raise after "training" (probation), otherwise you won't be banking much in the long run.

ha ha well today i was told i'll only be working 4 hours a day while training for a month to a month and a half im being trained to only do highway tows i cant remeber the title of it but i have to get certified by the chp to do it and as far as i know its only hourly no commision

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Paso Robles, California

65 months ago

I am not a tow truck driver, I manage a tow truck company. I am so frustrated and at my wits end with every driver that has worked for us at this time. What I look for is quality in your overall character. We all go through our ups and downs but it is how we handle the ups and downs that makes us who we are. I have good people on my team. They just drive me nuts, and as for today no one had any quality left to them. I feel like most tow truck drivers want to be lazy and get paid top dollar to do it. Drive is also important. I know a good driver that has quality and drive - he also does not work for me. Go figure. He is one of the few I've come across in the industry with moralle. My men however are honest and that by far outweighs something. Honesty is at the top. Work hard and be honest - it works best for everyone, everytime.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Big Gil in Sacramento, California

64 months ago

Fuzzy_T in Vernon, British Columbia said: Other Information:In business for 35 yrs and looking for employees willing to learn and highly self motivated. All Employment Standard Acts are adhered to. Min wage guaranteed; drivers average $15 - $17 per hour.

Employer: Quesnel Towing

I dont know about other areas, but i'm just getting started and i'm pretty sure i need to compete with the little mom and pop shops which typically charge 50.00 per tow. if i want to get work and keep an employee, what do you believe his pay rate should be? can i contract him to avoid workers comp? anyone with advice please share.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

JackR4U

64 months ago

Question ? I Live in philadelpia, PA & i'm Looking for schools-
for training as a Tow Truck Opperator so i can get my -
Class A CDL Cert. Anyone Know of Training Schools in the area?
www.JackR4U@aol.com. Thank's for your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JackR4U

64 months ago

I call everybody in the phonebook, call the PA.State Police -
they no nothing. i call the Local auto tag & Insurance Places etc.
nobody has a clue. and the one's i know about are out of state.
Maaann.... I.. Tel.. Ya ! Where can i get an answer ?
Looking for Tow Truck Opperator Training Schools To get my -
Class A CDL Cert. It's not that i didn't try searching. Anyway.
anybody have any info please let me know. I'm looking to start
A knew career. never did this work before. Thanks again !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

JackR4U

64 months ago

level 2 thank you very much for your help. I'll Let you know -
what happens. I'll Get back to you asap Thanks Again !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bobbyphenom

64 months ago

JackR4U said: Question ? I Live in philadelpia, PA & i'm Looking for schools-
for training as a Tow Truck Opperator so i can get my -
Class A CDL Cert. Anyone Know of Training Schools in the area?
www.JackR4U @aol.com. Thank's for your time.

look up wreckmaster they have classes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Big Gil in Sacramento, California

64 months ago

what you should do if towing is what you want to do is either get certified by AAA or CTTA and reapply or see if anyone needs an assistant. I doubt if anyone would trust their truck with a newbie. Of course you can always leave Jackson and come to Sacramento and see if anyone would give you an opportunity here. I would start by getting some sort of drivers position somewhere probably.

fastaxi in Carlsbad, California

63 months ago

Big Gil in Sacramento, California said: what you should do if towing is what you want to do is either get certified by AAA or CTTA and reapply or see if anyone needs an assistant. I doubt if anyone would trust their truck with a newbie. Of course you can always leave Jackson and come to Sacramento and see if anyone would give you an opportunity here. I would start by getting some sort of drivers position somewhere probably.

CTTA sticks with one company. If you go to work for someone else you have to retest... just without the whole class.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

unemployed in Hemet, California

62 months ago

socalguy in Riverside, California said: i just got hired at at a pretty big company and am getting paid hourly , and mind you i have never towed before so i was told i will be getting paid hourly $8 an hour and after training moved up to $10 an hour and a raise of 50 cents every six monthes maxing out at $13 an hour do you think these is a good deal? jobs are few and far between here in ca . a warehouse job as a temp out here starts at $10 an hour and you are not promised a job they make you think theres a chance of getting hired but thats about it

Hi there, I also live in riverside. would you let me know when they are hireing. Thanks so much......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

unemployed in Hemet, California

62 months ago

does anyone know of any company in Riverside that might be hireing.. Thanks so much...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tim in Temecula, California

62 months ago

Tim in Temecula, California said: I am thinking of starting as a tow driver for a large tow company in san diego. it has contracts with all the local law enforcement agencies and i see them all over the road all day...am i making a bad move. i cannot afford to make less then i am now and the hr guy at the tow company said i will make at least 30k a year and often as much as 50 k a year avg

So did u ever get the job?? Im looking to get n the business as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Rich Moore in Temecula, California

62 months ago

36hourshiftsblow!!! in Desert Hot Springs, California said: 8 bones an hour isn't unusual, but you ought to be getting commision on top of that, atleast for any on call jobs. Be sure to get that raise after "training" (probation), otherwise you won't be banking much in the long run.

Can u recommend company's that will hire non experienced drivers n So Cal??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Tim in Temecula, California said: So did u ever get the job?? Im looking to get n the business as well.

So did u ever get the job?? Im looking to get n the business as well. What was the name of the company??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

I have a friend who wishes to get in the towing industry as well. Problem with him is he is a felon. Any hope for him???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

How do I get AAA certified??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

BigGil in Sacramento, California

62 months ago

if my competitors are charging 50.00 per tow locally...how much should i pay a driver if im paying solely commission? i cant afford to pay hourly as business is too slow, also this will give them incentive to go out and look for work. i need a driver as i am not available 3 days a week. is there any way to avoid workers comp?

bobbyphenom in Lady Lake, Florida

62 months ago

you have to go to a tractor trailer driving school to get your cdl. depending on where you live.. if you have exp driving and think you can pass the test without going to school just study the test know the answers. when the written part comes up nail it..when the driving part comes up nail that..if your a good driver you'll pass. but as for towing just fill out an app somewhere..the two dont get taught together that i know of..your best bet is get a job at a tow company that has heavy equipment. learn the industry and while you have time do ride alongs with the otehr guys in the heavy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

BigGil in Sacramento, California said: if my competitors are charging 50.00 per tow locally...how much should i pay a driver if im paying solely commission? i cant afford to pay hourly as business is too slow, also this will give them incentive to go out and look for work. i need a driver as i am not available 3 days a week. is there any way to avoid workers comp?

30% is the going rate usually. getiing around workmans comp is not really likely either way ur screwed..you can pay under the table to get around it but if you get reported or something happens your screwed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Rich Moore in Temecula, California said: How do I get AAA certified??

most companies wont hire a felon because they work for their local and sometimes state police dept's..your best bet getting into the industry is go straight to aaa. not a contract company.. if they have their own truck fleet in your area they will hire you with no exp. they like it that way so you do things their way and bring no habits in with you. aaa certified is a joke. i worked for aaa fleet. you show them that you know how to pick up a car in a wrecker and a flatbed then they say "ok your certified" and walk away. they dont even give you a certificate or a card or anything...you want certification go to wreckmaster classes its more impressive...

62 months ago

Alright thankx 4 the heads up on this. i looked on the AAA sites and there is no place 2 click on 4 employment. Should I go 4 company's that work with triple AAA or just go 2 AAA only??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

your best bet is to go straight to aaa. most companies that work for/contract for aaa want experienced operators because of insurance issues. they have a 2 million dollar insurance policy that they dont want to compromise with rookie mistakes. aaa doesnt care they'll train you..but be careful with them they are two faced and they treat you like s h *t. they treat the other employees great like the insurance people and all the office/corperate people. the tow drivers they treat as bottom of the barrel dirtbags..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Rich Moore in Temecula, California said: Alright thankx 4 the heads up on this. i looked on the AAA sites and there is no place 2 click on 4 employment. Should I go 4 company's that work with triple AAA or just go 2 AAA only??

give me your email address i'll send you a link to aaa employment not sure if they have your area but they may be..bobbyphenom@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bobbyphenom in Long Beach, California

62 months ago

Thankx for the reply I just sent u a e-mail. If you dont get it, its shadowviiilbc@yahoo.com Oh and Im n California.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Where's my ride in Pomona, California

61 months ago

For the past 25 years I have parked at the market down the street on sweeper day. In the 50's my grandfather and his neighbors parked there if the city needed the road in front of our houses. In the 60's and 70's may mother and her neighbors would park there.

I moved back in the 80's and it was an established thing to do if you did not have room in your drive way. Tuesday, me and 15 of my neighbors were towed from the market. Just like that! No warning, No signs, No nothing. My neighbors are all hard working decent people. I felt so bad when we went to pick up our cars to the tune of $340.00.

We were treated so rudely, and some of the cars were damaged.

Later, I found out there is a new property owner, and their security guard had our cars removed. I feel that we were violated. The next day the man that lives across the street from the market saw at 11:30 PM, the tow truch driver of all people putting up signs. That was a little late for 16 families that used their rent money to get their cars out of impound. And why would the tow truck driver be putting up the signs. Isn't that the job of the security guard?

Lynn

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Where's my ride in Pomona, California

61 months ago

Soooo......It looks like sign hanging is a part of the job description as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

little joey in South San Francisco, California

60 months ago

i am 23 ihave been driving tow truck for over for years my dad drove for 15 years i work for a big company out of redwood city ca i have my class a i love to tow but the its 24 7 all the time its very fun you meet new people all the time i grt paid buy the job i make good money when its busy but when its slow it sucks but you should give it a try good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Josh in Pensacola, Florida

55 months ago

Zoinks! That's pretty darn good. Granted the hours are a little odd. But at least you have the weekends off. And all that dough. Do you get to work from home? Or do you have to keep a "mobile office"? My best year in Connecticut I made 36K hourly and commission. And I had to deal with the snow and ice! That and AAA. I'm making a pitance now in Pensacola Fl. 25% commission of squat is less than squat I'm affraid, plus the hours are all goofy and they make up the schedule as they go. Small new company, not very professional. No snow though! Keep up the good work, stay safe out there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bobbyphenom in Portsmouth, Rhode Island

54 months ago

mike let me know if the place your working for is hiring. i'd move there in a heartbeat..you have the best towing job i've ever heard of...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pnuddy59 in Los Angeles, California

54 months ago

socalguy in Riverside, California said: ha ha well today i was told i'll only be working 4 hours a day while training for a month to a month and a half im being trained to only do highway tows i cant remeber the title of it but i have to get certified by the chp to do it and as far as i know its only hourly no commision

My husband tows currently in Alhambra, Ca. They tow for local law enforcement and CHP as well. Yeah, a real short course a written test, not very hard but a couple of trick questions, you pass and are issued a card by CHP. They only pay hourly, which includes time and a half and double time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

James Collins in Indio, California

53 months ago

Dana T in Manassas, Virginia said: Safety, Knowledge of Equipment and When to say no!

That not covered by your auto club card . the call is outside my zone thair will be and overcharge with that

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

The whipping boy. in Pensacola, Florida

53 months ago

James Collins in Indio, California said: That not covered by your auto club card . the call is outside my zone thair will be and overcharge with that

You forgot " Sorry, I'm really busy working a roll over on the interstate and I'm the only driver on tonight."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

heavywreck in Port Hope, Ontario

53 months ago

Big Gil in Sacramento, California said: i'm starting my own tow campany, just me and one flat bed truck can i get any advise?

charge accordingly and don't be cheap on the maintence of your truck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jmvaldez3480 in Chicago, Illinois

52 months ago

I cant belive that all they are paying is $8 an hour McDanolds pays more, but you have to do what ever it takes to start, good luck stay positive dont be in a rush remember you are towing someones car you will allways be blamed for damages you did not do allways allways allways walk around the car and if you spot any little damages no matter how small report it, all cell phones have camaras now adays take pictures apecially if you pick up a car unattended this will happen very often you will save your self your job and a lot of headakes and your boss will apreciate you for it, I have three trucks and there is never a dull moment there are people out there that make it a living in making claims against tow companys. Good luck to all of you gettin started in the towing industry remember that patience is your best friend out there.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.