starting a new tow truck business

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 159)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

dan

76 months ago

I LIVE IN A RESORT AREA 40 MILES WEST OF AUSTIN , TX. THERE ARE APPROX. 9 TOW TRUCK COMPANIES IN THE SURROUNDING AREA.IS THIS TO MANY TO COMPETE WITH?
I HAVE THE FUNDS TO BUY ROLLBACK , IMPOUND LOT ETC.WHAT DO THINK.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (82) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

sean in Mount Holly, New Jersey

76 months ago

no it is not what you need to do is offer a better service and lower rates then them with out cutting your chance of profit. i have been doing this for about ten years and know all the tricks to the trade. you can e-mail me at lehnercntrctng@aol.com if you need more advice

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

dan

76 months ago

dan said: I LIVE IN A RESORT AREA 40 MILES WEST OF AUSTIN , TX. THERE ARE APPROX. 9 TOW TRUCK COMPANIES IN THE SURROUNDING AREA.IS THIS TO MANY TO COMPETE WITH?

sean, i appreciate your advice.are you a provider for aaa road service and is the towing business in general a profitable business?do you have more than one truck and if not do you work alone on a 24/7 shift.any advice or tips you can provide would be greatly appreciated.thanks so much,dan, marble falls ,tx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Road-Help.com in Henderson, Nevada

74 months ago

dan said: I LIVE IN A RESORT AREA 40 MILES WEST OF AUSTIN , TX. THERE ARE APPROX. 9 TOW TRUCK COMPANIES IN THE SURROUNDING AREA.IS THIS TO MANY TO COMPETE WITH?

Take your time, this business is very profitable or it can brake you. By the way - 19 tow truck companies would still not be enough. Learn the trade, be passionate & professional. Do your homework. Road-Help.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Road-Help.com in Henderson, Nevada

74 months ago

I am searching for an area manager / driver for Phoenix who can provide roadside assistance. Anyone know of a valuable person? I will be in Phoenix tomorrow from 5 am till noon to meet with people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Big Gil in Sacramento, California

69 months ago

j in Pearl River, New York said: You got that right!

im starting a towing business and i need a driver...if you guys could tell me all the things i should do to be a good employer i would appreciate it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

bobbyphenom in Apopka, Florida

69 months ago

just appreciate what your drivers do for you.. working long hours extra days ect..keep in mind that he has a family or life outside the business..and if he's sacraficing that life for your business very simply let him know he's doing a good job..throw em a few extra bucks every once in awhile.. dont go overboard with stupid rules and regulations..let em feel comfortable..one thing that bothers me sometimes is having the right equipment on the truck to do the job..ask him what he equipment he needs to do his job...everyone has their own way of doing things and sometimes your way and his way might not be the same..doesnt mean one of you is doing it wrong just means you feel comfortable doing it one way and he feels comfortable doing it another..i believe being comfortable in your job makes you more confident which in turn creates less damages..thats pretty much it man..good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Carlos A in San Jose, California

67 months ago

Hi i live in California Santa Clara County where there is lots of vehicles always running around. An the best thing i live on a strip where there is 13 car dealer ships. I know in this time there isn't much work and i been looking for work i have the tow truck driving experience im a grease monkey mechanic i know how to tow a vehicle even if its on rims. But i tried applying for work with a tow company but im always turned down saying the position was already taken. What do u guys think i should do im applying for a grant to buy a tow truck and i really want to get into the business it doesnt matter about working days and nights as long as im working and im not sitting on my ass any feed back is really appreciated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bobbyphenom in Summerfield, Florida

67 months ago

Carlos A in San Jose, California said: Hi i live in California Santa Clara County where there is lots of vehicles always running around. An the best thing i live on a strip where there is 13 car dealer ships. I know in this time there isn't much work and i been looking for work i have the tow truck driving experience im a grease monkey mechanic i know how to tow a vehicle even if its on rims. But i tried applying for work with a tow company but im always turned down saying the position was already taken. What do u guys think i should do im applying for a grant to buy a tow truck and i really want to get into the business it doesnt matter about working days and nights as long as im working and im not sitting on my ass any feed back is really appreciated

start of doing jumps/lockouts/tire changes and out of gas.. with your own pickup truck...theres a guy in florida who started doing it that way in december of this past year with just one service truck and has already grown into a successful business with 5 service trucks and 2 tow trucks in 8 months...the key is advertisment,loyalty and good customer relations...be there when called on time and a good price will keep people coming back....a trick i like to use is treat every car u tow like a ferrari in front of the customer. make it seem as if your taking extra car with their car.. the people eat it up...good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

TowPassion in Chicago, Illinois

67 months ago

Hey guys, I am a female interested in the towing business. My kids grandfather owned a tow truck business for a number of years. He was a great man and left this earth too soon. I rode with their father day in and day out on tows and just became passionate about the business. My two boys are now 20 and 17 years old(both have clean driving records), both in school trying to decide their future, but I honestly think that we can pull this off. I think a lot people perceive towing as a male dominated business, do you have any advice for me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

bobbyphenom in Lady Lake, Florida

67 months ago

if your intention is to work with your kids hold off a few years.. most insurance companies will not insure drivers under 25 some 23. but definately not 17 and 20

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

topazeangdog in Reno, Nevada

67 months ago

bobbyphenom said: honestly dan. the towing industry is filled with guys like you that have the money to start but have no idea what to do..its not a knock on you but, you need to work for someone. learn the business before opening up and just hiring people. because those drivers are gonna hate you. the company i work for is that same way.. dude just has money and decided to get into towing....needless to say its a mess...things arnt right..i ve worked for twelve companies in three states.. ive come to the conclusion they are prettymuch all the same..unorganized,cheap and ungrateful...its guys like me and other drivers who need to open a companies.. not dudes who just have money and feel like towing that day...its a lifestyle not a job...unfortunately it takes money to make money and us drivers get paid jack!!!!

Towing company's make a lot, pending on city state and location.

I also would like to start a towing company,But I don't have the funds to do so.
But if i can someday find me a backer I will indeed make us a good and comfortable life style.

My spot would be Reno NV and surrounding areas.
Just need one tilt flat bed hauler and one tow truck to get started.

Anyone of interest and seriousness invest I'll pitch the rest in conference.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

pinons are welcome.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

road-help.com in Las Vegas, Nevada

67 months ago

anyone that does not have the funds to start but has the passion and maturity, email industryconsultant@road-help.com // the idea is to help you get going within this industry while running your own area. Your customer base would be customers of insurance and motorclub companies such as Geico and Allstate / Progressive and many others. We have the experience to teach you the services and believe me a tire change on a 30 ft recreational trailer with a single or dual axle can be simple if you know what you are doing and we have been doing this for years. So are you in? It is a lifestyle and anyone not being able to commit on a ON CALL basis 24 hrs 7 days even on holidays please look elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

I Would love to have my own Tow Truck business.
But the money to start it is to hard to come up with these day's.
Anyone that can help,I'm more then willing to hear about any ideal's that can put me in the driver seat.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TJGllc in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

66 months ago

TowPassion in Chicago, Illinois said: Hey guys, I am a female interested in the towing business. My kids grandfather owned a tow truck business for a number of years. He was a great man and left this earth too soon. I rode with their father day in and day out on tows and just became passionate about the business. My two boys are now 20 and 17 years old(both have clean driving records), both in school trying to decide their future, but I honestly think that we can pull this off. I think a lot people perceive towing as a male dominated business, do you have any advice for me?

Hello. To respond to bobbyphenom's response - he is correct, insurance may be tough. I'm a transportation insurance agent out of Milwaukee and it's tough to find carriers in IL that are willing to take on a risk with younger drivers. I only have a couple that will write the business with drivers under 20. Best of luck. Ryan.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

industryconsultant@road-help.com in Henderson, Nevada

66 months ago

so towpassion - its cold where you live? freezing cold? your boys - what training/experience do they have working outside for 8-12 hrs in this type of climate? what type of funds do you have prepared for this venture? if you asked me, i would consider them to begin as roadside personell first. As they clime into light then medium and then some heavy duty roadside for about 2 yrs or more then they can begin towing and hauling. this way its more financially feasible for you and the low risk on the service van vs. a tow truck. when you get there - ask yourself then, many yrs from now... how do you tow in the snow and colder climates? then if you asked me, yrs from now.. we can begin talking about your boys - now men - getting into towing. thats if you asked me, god ble$$ !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

mike in Yorba Linda, California

66 months ago

road-help.com in Las Vegas, Nevada said: best to start providing roadside services until you have some funds saved. remember tow trucks deserve plenty of maintenance, this means money to change the brakes.. make sure the leaf springs are changed... all this considering your going to purchase a used truck... because a new one will run approx. $65k and up if you get the right tow truck. then, where will you get the work to cover the insurance on your rig that will be about $800-900 per month. The diesel runs about $1,500 a month depending on how many and how far the calls your taking are. Should I go on? Start handling service calls and hauling motorcycles is an excellent way to start. If you have a service van or truck and the desire to start, we may be able to assist serious and mature folks only. (NO CALLS)

how do i get in touch with you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

LT in Henderson, Nevada

66 months ago

management@road-help.com // or // industryconsultant@road-help.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

craig condrey in porum, Oklahoma

66 months ago

topazeangdog in Reno, Nevada said: I Would love to have my own Tow Truck business.
But the money to start it is to hard to come up with these day's.
Anyone that can help,I'm more then willing to hear about any ideal's that can put me in the driver seat.

well i have been in the towing bussniess and transportation service for a long time i am about to start my own tow truck bussniess i have bought a roll back with a wheel lift a conventional with wheel lift and sling and i am looking for a heavy wrecker the both of tow trucks i have purchaced are old in the 87 and 93 mode range chevrolet style they have the tools on them but need transmissions and engines about 6000 dollars worth of stuff and some more along the way as proboblems arise till all the bugs are worked out of it so you can start like me and get on state county and city rotation i am currently eating my supper from last night the reason for that is that you get very little sleep so before you do this maybe you need to go to work for someone first and i also do reposessions so i dont have much time off

Alex in Reno, Nevada

66 months ago

TowPassion in Chicago, Illinois said: Hey guys, I am a female interested in the towing business. My kids grandfather owned a tow truck business for a number of years. He was a great man and left this earth too soon. I rode with their father day in and day out on tows and just became passionate about the business. My two boys are now 20 and 17 years old(both have clean driving records), both in school trying to decide their future, but I honestly think that we can pull this off. I think a lot people perceive towing as a male dominated business, do you have any advice for me?
Actually you can get insurance at 21 sometimes 20.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

lt in Henderson, Nevada

66 months ago

towpassion - ive read your comments here before, i'd like to help you but whatever you do, dont think for a half of second your boys can just walk into this industry without having any experience. they are going to cause damages and that can take you out of business before you even get to the BIG money - so - like i advise many - get into roadside assistance first.. if you cause damages, you can hopefull easily cover them, however when you start towing and causing damages then - your INSURANCE will hit you with deductables, taking away from your hard earned profits. Again - start with roadside assistance. The motorclubs and insurance companies are not taking any new small service agents that are just thinking they are going to walk into our industry.. so - do your boys know how to unlock any car?, change tires on any truck up to medium duty? do they know how to take care of a tow truck because you know they will be repairing it on the side of the road if needed like the pto switch malfunctioning while your customers car still needs to be dropped. By the way - what type of capital do you have to start this venture? We can set you up with the motorclubs and insurance companies providing roadside assistance first, then haul bikes, then haul vehicles. Then you're having fun! anyone can email - industryconsultant@road-help.com // (starting a business cost $$$$$ and you will not have a day off your first 5 years, are you ready?)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tow Masters in Romeoville, Illinois

65 months ago

I own a towing buisness in Joliet and women can dominate the towing industry if they try at it, women feel comfortable dealing with women and that could be your nich in the towing industry.

Any other questions email me at DownAndOutTowing@gmail.com

Jess in Dallas, Texas

65 months ago

Dan,
How did the startup go? Have you found some success? Hope you have a great new year!

harve in fruita, Colorado

64 months ago

if you are ever going to do it you should do it. if you are good at it. and if your kids are good at it to. becuase if you are gooding to do it with your kids you can do it with your 20 year old but you can't with the other. becuase insurance should cover you too but not the 17 year old. but he can ride along and thorw hock or something. i should know becuase i strated my towing business at 21 and i have been in going for years. but it is hard to start but if you think you can do it go for it. and good luck to you and your kids.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

industryconsultant@road-help.com in Las Vegas, Nevada

64 months ago

TOWPASSION - you have posted so many ads on here I would of thought you had your towing business up and running by now - what do you need, someone to do it for you.... well we can make that happen but please move forward with the same ? over and over, get your business incorporated, get your state licenses and county licenses and get yourself a service vehicle, tools and get calls running. BUT whatever you do dont throw your kids out there and get customers cars damaged, do the industry a favor, get in or get out. We offer two different start up programs.. for roadside service at $5k and towing pogram starting at $10k - God Bless everyone !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

5.0 Marco in Chicago, Illinois

64 months ago

I AM VERY INTERESTED IN GETTING TO THE TOWING/REPO BUS. HOW DO GET PAID FROM INSURANCE COMPANIES FOR TOWING CARS FROM AN ACCIDENT SITE? WHATS A GOOD SCANNER/CB TO USE? BESIDES INSURANCE, WHAT OTHER CREDIENTALS ARE NEED?
THANX FOR ANY HELP!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

someboss in Phoenix, Arizona

64 months ago

sean in Mount Holly, New Jersey said: no it is not what you need to do is offer a better service and lower rates then them with out cutting your chance of profit. i have been doing this for about ten years and know all the tricks to the trade. you can e-mail me at lehnercntrctng@aol.com if you need more advice

Hey Buddy, I appreciate your willing ness to help newbies. I have always done the same in my prior businesses. I am buying an existing tow company. Can you lead me to websites--forums--books--organizations etc Thanks KC kenneyhnclark@comcast.net

64 months ago

sean in Mount Holly, New Jersey said: no it is not what you need to do is offer a better service and lower rates then them with out cutting your chance of profit. i have been doing this for about ten years and know all the tricks to the trade. you can e-mail me at lehnercntrctng@aol.com if you need more advice

Hey Buddy, I appreciate your willing ness to help newbies. I have always done the same in my prior businesses. I am buying an existing tow company. Can you lead me to websites--forums--books--organizations etc Thanks KC kennethnclark@comcast.net

64 months ago

industryconsultant@road-help.com in Las Vegas, Nevada said: TOWPASSION - you have posted so many ads on here I would of thought you had your towing business up and running by now - what do you need, someone to do it for you.... well we can make that happen but please move forward with the same ? over and over, get your business incorporated, get your state licenses and county licenses and get yourself a service vehicle, tools and get calls running. BUT whatever you do dont throw your kids out there and get customers cars damaged, do the industry a favor, get in or get out. We offer two different start up programs.. for roadside service at $5k and towing pogram starting at $10k - God Bless everyone !

send me info on your programs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LT in Henderson, Nevada

64 months ago

the roadside assistance program is coordinated to get folks into the industry before they decide to tow. I am not sure how many folks on here are experienced because unless you know what you are doing, then you will damage vehicles and eventually go out of business. Witht hat said, training is the most important aspect to the risk of getting into claims for damages. So - Roadside Service is a great way to begin. After, may be a year or so, you can jump into a tow truck much easier, with proper training. The organization of the business, including licenses & insurance. Opening up to the public, after branding the business is all keys to success. For you to be successful you need money to start and run the project until funds start coming in and the profit margin is greater and greater. This industry is a very serious and unmerciful one so do not believe for a second you will get in and get going just because... Experience in management is one of the number one rules for companies failing, after capital. So dont forget about establishing your business credit because if you are still running things with your personal credit then you are one step closer to failure. Hope this helps. Contact us only if you are a serious enough to invest. industryconsultant@road-help.com

craig condrey in porum, Oklahoma

64 months ago

5.0 Marco in Chicago, Illinois said: I AM VERY INTERESTED IN GETTING TO THE TOWING/REPO BUS. HOW DO GET PAID FROM INSURANCE COMPANIES FOR TOWING CARS FROM AN ACCIDENT SITE? WHATS A GOOD SCANNER/CB TO USE? BESIDES INSURANCE, WHAT OTHER CREDIENTALS ARE NEED?
THANX FOR ANY HELP!

you just go to the wreck site pickup the car and the accident victim files al the paper work and the insurance company comes to get the vehicle

itstherealdeal in Glendale, Arizona

64 months ago

bobbyphenom said: honestly dan. the towing industry is filled with guys like you that have the money to start but have no idea what to do..its not a knock on you but, you need to work for someone. learn the business before opening up and just hiring people. because those drivers are gonna hate you. the company i work for is that same way.. dude just has money and decided to get into towing....needless to say its a mess...things arnt right..i ve worked for twelve companies in three states.. ive come to the conclusion they are prettymuch all the same..unorganized,cheap and ungrateful...its guys like me and other drivers who need to open a companies.. not dudes who just have money and feel like towing that day...its a lifestyle not a job...unfortunately it takes money to make money and us drivers get paid jack!!!!

do you want to be one of the big boys? I am also a man with money with no experience so lets form a partnership. Sounds crazy or unreal - its not! I just did it with another business and it is working out great.

bobbyphenom in Warwick, Rhode Island

64 months ago

if i were in your area that would work out..but i just moved back to r.i from florida and dont really wanna make another move..but i'm sure there are a ton of guys out there that would take you up on that offer... good luck. hope it works out for u..

bobbyphenom in Warwick, Rhode Island

64 months ago

they come to u man.. dont go looking for them..the longer the cars there the more they owe u..just dont be so anxious..treat that car like gold.. the money will come

mackboy400 in New Hyde Park, New York

64 months ago

I want to start a Tow truck company in Brooklyn NY, but there is only one big problem. Mike's Towing and Apple Towing. Do you think big companies like this will take up all my customer? Should I start out as a light duty or Heavy duty company?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

carlos in Oxnard, California

64 months ago

what are the regulation to run your own tow truck

universal.pro in Virginia Beach, Virginia

63 months ago

Good evening Mr. Sean. I am considering open a one tow truck business part time for myself. Do you have any information that could assist me. Thankyou for your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

carlos in Washington, District of Columbia

62 months ago

I would like to start my own tow truck business. I would like to to know what's the first thing I should do to get started. Some people tells me to start with roadside service. The only thing is that I do not have the experience to unlock cars. What kind of advice do you think I should do. Also whats the best kind of tow truck to start of with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bobbyphenom in Tiverton, Rhode Island

62 months ago

so i take it you've never had a job towing before? get one first. work for someone. maybe u wont like it and decide on something else..its not for everyone..if u like eating fast food, not seeing ur wife,family,kids,or girlfreind, if u dont like going out, or having a life at all then welcome to being a tow truck operator..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Johnny Tow Truck (NYC) in New York, New York

62 months ago

I HAVE THE FUNDS TO BUY ROLLBACK , IMPOUND LOT ETC.WHAT DO THINK.[/QUOTE

No, this is not too many to compete. As long as you provide quality service with clean well maintained equipment, you should be fine. The main key to prosper is to just lower your prices just a little under the the going rate. That way, you're not going broke, but customers will see a cheaper price and will solicit your business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

christopher rice in Chicago, Illinois

61 months ago

hello my name is christopher rice an im interested in towing . can u tell me the qualifications of towing. please contact me at bigchris2003us@yahoo.com . thank u an have a great day

bobbyphenom in Portsmouth, Rhode Island

61 months ago

christopher rice in Chicago, Illinois said: hello my name is christopher rice an im interested in towing . can u tell me the qualifications of towing. please contact me at bigchris2003us@yahoo.com . thank u an have a great day

chris u dont need much. watch are you smarter than a fifth grader.. if the kids are smarter then ur a perfect fit with the rest of us..you'll get paid close to nothing. you'll always be broke,eat alot of fast food,get fat,have no relationship worth keeping, most likely have a real 855hole for a boss, and be very unhappy.. all u need is a somewhat clean dl. and common sense

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Old Tow Guy in Auburn, Washington

61 months ago

An area can become saturated with too many companies struggling to get the same job. This usually involves companies under bidding their competitors. However the low bidder will hardly make any profit and must work in large quantities. However their is another drawback. Working in large quantities you have to take a risk that the equipment will not break down with all the mileage accumulated, IE: Transmission etc. When those repairs are needed it will be costly. So there is a fine line in bidding too low and making a profit. I see so many tow trucks popping up all over the place and there is only a limited amount of tows and roadside service. You will have to struggle to get accounts where the business owner is usually loyal to his current tow operator. I have been doing this for a long time ( since 1987 ) and it's a struggle for me as the new guys starting up are undercutting rates. But they will eventually find out that they will have to raise their rates in order to make a profit. Hence a new operator coming in will under bid him too. I find that most people will call three Tow companies to find the lowest rate but not necessarily receiving the best quality. Some of these independents don't even carry insurance. BIG RISK! Consumers assume they are legitimate and never ask. I know because no one has ever asked me if I carry insurance. Amazing huh? Well there is towing business basics 101 for ya and it was free. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Big Gil in Sacramento, California said: im starting a towing business and i need a driver...if you guys could tell me all the things i should do to be a good employer i would appreciate it.

Make sure the driver is qualified and has good references. You don't want to hire a rookie and then have damage claims later or a injury. Trust me! Make a list of company policys and have the driver sign it such as no taking wife, friends etc. for a ride with them. Insurance will be sky high if they get in accident and no taking the truck on personal quests such as pulling stumps out of their back yard. I think you get the picture. Employees will do just about anything unless you have a policy.

61 months ago

LT in Henderson, Nevada said: the roadside assistance program is coordinated to get folks into the industry before they decide to tow. I am not sure how many folks on here are experienced because unless you know what you are doing, then you will damage vehicles and eventually go out of business. Witht hat said, training is the most important aspect to the risk of getting into claims for damages. So - Roadside Service is a great way to begin. After, may be a year or so, you can jump into a tow truck much easier, with proper training. The organization of the business, including licenses & insurance. Opening up to the public, after branding the business is all keys to success. For you to be successful you need money to start and run the project until funds start coming in and the profit margin is greater and greater. This industry is a very serious and unmerciful one so do not believe for a second you will get in and get going just because... Experience in management is one of the number one rules for companies failing, after capital. So dont forget about establishing your business credit because if you are still running things with your personal credit then you are one step closer to failure. Hope this helps. Contact us only if you are a serious enough to invest.
" If your using your own credit one step closer to failure " I disagree! I started my business with a ford f150 pick up truck and a hydraulic tilt trailer in 1995. It wasn't glamorous but it was enough to get started and I was dedicated to my own business 24/7 and once the money came in I financed new trucks. The key is how dedicated are you to your business. Obtaining loans at the start will get you in trouble unless you have some miracle big boy accounts already lined up. Anyways I used my own credit when needed and sparingly but I hustled to make sure money was coming in. Also Doing roadside service only at first will not teach you how to hook up a car properly. I never had a damage claim.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

charlescarl in Phoenix, Arizona

61 months ago

In Nevada, you need to put in 2 years or 10,000 hours in the tow business and need to take a 50 question test to get a business license, but the tow truck drivers does not to take any test, but to have a good driving record, only.. Can someone give me some ideas on how I can start my business, without having to work for 2 years or putting in 10,000 hours? P.S., does anyone have any idea what the test looks like and whats on the test? Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

I never heard of a 50 question test or 10,000 hour requirement for obtaining a business license. I am in WA State and all you need is about 30 bucks to register your business. I work independatly and I do not have a impound yard and all the red tape involved there. I have been in business since 1995. However I do maintain a high level of insurance even though I have never had a damage claim or a accident.

61 months ago

Ok now I am understanding things a little better now that I know that it relates to reposessions. I can understand 2 years experience in towing rquired by the State and a test. The test is probably relating to your knowledge of the laws pertaining to repo's and your own safety as well. Have you tried to work with a repo company? That's where I would look first If that's what your interested in doing. If you don't have any experience at all then try working for a regular towing company for a year then work another year for a repo company. You should be able to start your business then.

charlescarl in Phoenix, Arizona

61 months ago

Old Tow Guy, I was just wanted to start a small business and be on control on my destiny for a change. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.