starting a new tow truck business

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 159)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

industryconsultant@*****.*** in Henderson, Nevada

72 months ago

Old Tow Guy in Auburn, Washington said:

Yes being dedicated is key - Hopefully you are still not working 24/7.
And yes you can get a loan or a business trade line of credit and make purchases accordingly. My business does have some major accounts to sustain the bootm line. If you walk into this business without atleast a few big accounts to send you work, then you are not starting your business correctly, do you remember when your limited revenue was not buying what you needed on the spot? and due to this your competitor was winning. Furthermore - I personally performed roadside assistance before towing and it made me 10 better than anyone who does not know spit and is trying to walk into this industry // By the way, still using your personal credit? Good luck with that, COPORATE CREDIT IS THE PLACE TO BE, EVER HEARD OF THE BLACK CARD old timer?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

AZsaxon in Queen Creek, Arizona

72 months ago

charlescarl in Phoenix, Arizona said: In Nevada, you need to put in 2 years or 10,000 hours in the tow business and need to take a 50 question test to get a business license, but the tow truck drivers does not to take any test, but to have a good driving record, only.. Can someone give me some ideas on how I can start my business, without having to work for 2 years or putting in 10,000 hours? P.S., does anyone have any idea what the test looks like and whats on the test? Thank you.

charlescarl in Phoenix, Arizona
can you please e-mail me. I have some questions about going solo and start-up bizz for a 1-man-team tow operation. Does Phoenix, AZ need all that 2 years 10,000 hours??? I don't think so. Thanx
Mike
Michshnly@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Road-Help.com in Henderson, Nevada said: Take your time, this business is very profitable or it can brake you. By the way - 19 tow truck companies would still not be enough. Learn the trade, be passionate & professional. Do your homework. Road-Help.com

Road-Help.com
Please e-mail me. I have tons of questions for you about the tow truck bizz. I need your expert advice on issues.
Mike
Michshnly@yahoo.com

72 months ago

Hi. My name is Mike and in need of some of the tow truck people's help.
Michshnly@yahoo.com
I have to many questions to ask and won't post to many here. Thanx and this website blog is really awsome.

Hollywood in Hampton, Virginia

72 months ago

I'm looking to start my own tow service in the Hampton roads area. I have no experience in this field. I just have the drive and motivation it takes to win. I'm looking for a mentor to guide me along and advise me on the proper steps.I'm 31 years old and I'll be working for and by myself. I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks a lot

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Old Tow Guy in Auburn, Washington

70 months ago

dans moto tow in Victorville, California said: We my husband and myself are about to start a motorcycle towing and roadside assitance busines. We have purchased a step van with a lift gate. (havent even seen it yet) My husband is a experienced motorcycle mechanic. Since we are new to this does any body have any suggestions about insurance, (I went to AAA they dont insure tow trucks) and were to go to get customer referals, is it better to work as a contractor or on your own and as a contracted driver can you drive for more then one company. so many questions. kelly

You can check with insurance companies like Proggressive to get a commercial business estimate. If you are towing the motorcycles back to your shop for repairs you may have to pay for garage keepers insurance. Check with the insurance sales agent. If you decide to operate your own business rather than working for someone else as a contracter then I think you will find it more rewarding although you will put more time into answering phones, less days off etc. but atleast you have full control of "your own business". Place advertising in your local phone directory. Contact local Motorcycle dealers in your area for business referals. Pass out business cards and flyers. You can even sign up with motor clubs to tow "motorcycles only" if thats your only preference. AAA, Allstate, NAC, Cross Country, etc. just to name a few.

renotech1@*****.*** in Reno, Nevada

68 months ago

what are the requirements for road swervice, tow truck, and recovery work in northern nevada??????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

renotech1@*****.*** in Reno, Nevada

68 months ago

your advice on which area brings in the most dollars regardless of work involved. more time and not afraid to earn than $$$$$$$$$$thanks

dans moto tow in Victorville, California

68 months ago

Let me just say be careful where you buy from We purchased a step van from Jackosonville auto links I was told It didnt have a rust problem. We took it to our mechanic and the rust is so bad it wont pass the DOT inspection " the axel is off center and the leaf springs are bent due to RUST"

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Yes - establish accounts! NOT MIRACLE ACCOUNTS but, working contracted relationships... this will permit your business to develop. When you meet with the customer - provide them with your business card. Make sure your business card is branded professionally. If you are running a 'joe blow' tow shop, you are not standing out from the rest of the local shops. Most folks are using online sources to seek a service provider. We had a lady last week that found us directly from her cell phone / Now that business in 2010. Sure - buy a truck and work hard is part of the process, but if you mess up your personal credit, then what? Again, separate your self from the business and establish business credit. It takes a minimal amount of time/funds and if something were to happen, then you establish another corporation the next day and move forward. Do not rely on your personal credit, if you have the means! If not right now, do it asap. Bless everyone trying to make it while the economy seems dull. TIP OF THE DAY - Once you have a corporation set up with your EIN, go to D&B.com and review the options for establishing business credit, you may be on the way to picking up your next truck(s) with only using your DUNN# ** (We are establishing roadside companies now for only $2500 by mentioning D&B WORKS FOR ME)

Benjamin in Sandy, Utah

67 months ago

industryconsultant@road-help.com in Las Vegas, Nevada said: TOWPASSION - you have posted so many ads on here I would of thought you had your towing business up and running by now - what do you need, someone to do it for you.... well we can make that happen but please move forward with the same ? over and over, get your business incorporated, get your state licenses and county licenses and get yourself a service vehicle, tools and get calls running. BUT whatever you do dont throw your kids out there and get customers cars damaged, do the industry a favor, get in or get out. We offer two different start up programs.. for roadside service at $5k and towing pogram starting at $10k - God Bless everyone !
Please send me some information on your services.

67 months ago

someboss in Phoenix, Arizona said: send me info on your programs

what is your email? and do you want towing start up info? or just roadside assistance?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

AWJ in Columbus, Georgia

67 months ago

i would like info on the towing and the roadside assistance please thanks for your time and effort!!!
anthonywjenkins@gmail.com

stacy in Louisville, Kentucky

66 months ago

recently a tow truck driver hooked up to my truck and dragged my 2005 chevy silverado heavy duty 3500 with 12' flatbed approximately 200' while my truck was in park and attempted to make a complete u-turn while dragging my truck while it was still locked up and in park, without my parking brake set!!!! What was this guy thinking? My neighbor watched the entire scene!!! Is this normal practice? Today the owner of tow company is furious! Just as I am! My question is...exactly how are your drivers trained how to tow vehicles or do you just hire any idiot with a license?

oldtowguy in Auburn, Washington

66 months ago

Tow Trucks

What type of truck should you buy?

There are several different types of tow trucks. The sling tow truck is old technology and seriously limits the vehicles that you can tow. Don't bother wasting your money on a sling tow truck. A wheel lift tow truck is your most economical solution. You can tow almost every car or SUV with this kind of tow truck however this usually involves more work and it will require special attention to the drive train of the vehicle being towed and proper hook up procedures to prevent transmission damage. The flatbed or rollback tow truck is my favorite option. However, they are the most expensive to purchase unless you purchase a high quality commercial flatbed trailer like the one I own. I will explain below what type I drive and why.

If you have the money/income and are experienced and know that you will be in the towing business for a long time then it may be beneficial to buy a new Flatbed or Wheel Lift tow truck to reduce maintenance costs otherwise I would suggest buying a used tow truck. Don't buy a cheap tow truck that looks bad or has a bad image. Make sure you won't have to put allot of money into it to keep it running. It is wise to have a mechanic inspect the vehicle before purchasing. Also check with your insurance company prior to your purchase. The rates may fluctuate depending on the type and year.

Flatbed or wheel lift? Personally I choose a flatbed and let me tell you why. There are many cars today that are AWD ( all wheel drive ) and you can't tow these cars with any of the wheels on the ground. If you do then you may damage the transmission. All the wheels work in sync with each other and if not then you are destroying gears or clutches. Even with vehicles that are not AWD you may still damage the transmission. When a vehicle is towed with the drive wheels on the ground the wheels are turning the drive axle which is turning the transmission. The transmission is actually spinning dry. The transmiss

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

Tow Trucks

What type of truck should you buy?

There are several different types of tow trucks. The sling tow truck is old technology and seriously limits the vehicles that you can tow. Don't bother wasting your money on a sling tow truck. A wheel lift tow truck is your most economical solution. You can tow almost every car or SUV with this kind of tow truck however this usually involves more work and it will require special attention to the drive train of the vehicle being towed and proper hook up procedures to prevent transmission damage. The flatbed or rollback tow truck is my favorite option. However, they are the most expensive to purchase unless you purchase a high quality commercial flatbed trailer like the one I own. I will explain what type I drive and why.

To learn more about towing or how to operate your own towing business please visit www.towingbusiness.info

66 months ago

You can find more information at www.towingbusiness.info

66 months ago

lt in Henderson, Nevada said: towpassion - ive read your comments here before, i'd like to help you but whatever you do, dont think for a half of second your boys can just walk into this industry without having any experience. they are going to cause damages and that can take you out of business before you even get to the BIG money)

That's why I created a website with all the towing information you need to operate your towing business without doing damage www.towingbusiness.info

towtruck4sale in Sunnyvale, California

65 months ago

Does anyone know who is interested in buying a tow truck? Because I have one that I had bought for $12k and willing to sell it for $10k or best offer!! A friend of mine was going to be the driver but he went back to the East Coast and left me with this Tow Truck, it never got to go on the road to tow any vehicle. I decided to just sell the tow truck because I don't know anything about the business. If anyone out there would like to start a tow business and interested in buying a tow truck, please contact me. This is a Diesel 1995 Ford F450 Tow Truck Wrecker New Engine replace at 300,000 mile it has approx. 335,000 mile now and also has a rebuilt transmission.

dynodale in Austin, Minnesota

63 months ago

TowPassion in Chicago, Illinois said: Hey guys, I am a female interested in the towing business. My kids grandfather owned a tow truck business for a number of years. He was a great man and left this earth too soon. I rode with their father day in and day out on tows and just became passionate about the business. My two boys are now 20 and 17 years old(both have clean driving records), both in school trying to decide their future, but I honestly think that we can pull this off. I think a lot people perceive towing as a male dominated business, do you have any advice for me?

towing biz are run across the country by females all the time they have a hege on us guys as they are a minority and can get grants and loans easyer to start there biz good luck!!

63 months ago

I am replying to a woman starting a towing business with two sons.

A woman absolutely can own a towing business. I sold my towing business in 2002 (I bought it back in 2008) and a woman ended up owning the business. She ran the business for six years. She hired drivers and she handled all the accounting and all the business decisions. A woman can also handle towing as most of the physical work is done with the winch. There may be times when you need to push a vehicle by hand but you can ask for help in these situations, as I do when I need help.

You said your sons were 17 and 20. Seventeen is a little too young yet. The twenty year old will probably be ok but check with your insurance company first as they might have age restrictions and try to get him some good towing information. Check out HowToTow.com which focuses on how to hook up properly to prevent damage claims (which is also in video format) and also Safety, Contracts, Forms, Unlocking Vehicles, Equipment, Service Calls, Motor Clubs etc. There are about eighteen different topics and you should find this towing information useful. www.HowtoTow.com
I wish you success in your towing business!

63 months ago

Update: I had people requesting the plans for building my Custom, High Quality, Commercial, Gooseneck, Hydraulic Tilt Car Trailer, that I built two back in 1998. So I have made available for the first time the plans which can be found at HowToTow.com

The car trailer is perfect for towing all light duty class vehicles. The Low profile loading angle is exceptional and will allow easy loading of exotic cars and low riders.

If you decide to build this car towing trailer, I think you will like the looks and performance. Mine has lasted for 13 years and still working today.

63 months ago

I see many people asking what are the requirements for their State?

It is probably best if you contact your local and state agencies for the answers. It really depends on the type of towing business you plan on operating.

If you are doing impounds or repo's contact your local and state agencies. All states have different laws. Also check zoning laws.

If your NOT doing impounds or repo's and are only towing a vehicle from point A to Point B, such as for the motor clubs, retail accounts and local accounts then you will more than likely only need a business license, Federal tax ID number and Insurance.

mo-mo84 in Dallas, Texas

62 months ago

dan said: I LIVE IN A RESORT AREA 40 MILES WEST OF AUSTIN , TX. THERE ARE APPROX. 9 TOW TRUCK COMPANIES IN THE SURROUNDING AREA.IS THIS TO MANY TO COMPETE WITH?
I HAVE THE FUNDS TO BUY ROLLBACK , IMPOUND LOT ETC.WHAT DO THINK.

Me and my old boss yust got permanatly laid off from a company that wanted to try thier hand at opening up a second branch but couldnt handle it now me and my boss are out of a job.. here is the thing my boss has like 2 or 3 trucks already but doesnt have the money to get them registered insured and properly equiped we are looking for investors that would like to help us out on starting up our own tow truck business we will now need another storage facility one or 2 more trucks and the trucks that we do have to be serviced or repaired.... please if you can help we are in the dallas area where there is always business with all the major highways in the area please comment me back at mactowncustoms84@yahoo.com

62 months ago

mo-mo84 in Dallas, Texas said: Me and my old boss yust got permanatly laid off from a company that wanted to try thier hand at opening up a second branch but couldnt handle it now me and my boss are out of a job.. here is the thing my boss has like 2 or 3 trucks already but doesnt have the money to get them registered insured and properly equiped we are looking for investors that would like to help us out on starting up our own tow truck business we will now need another storage facility one or 2 more trucks and the trucks that we do have to be serviced or repaired.... please if you can help we are in the dallas area where there is always business with all the major highways in the area please comment me back at mactowncustoms84@yahoo.com

It sounds like you are short on capital to run a storage yard. I would negotiate with local repair shops to work on your tow trucks in exchange for towing. I would also forget about the impound or storage yard temporarily and focus on towing for the Motor Clubs, local businesses and retail accounts until you have the capital to invest in a yard. You can get the motor club information after signing up at www.howtotow.com To your sucess!

patrick smith

61 months ago

itstherealdeal in Glendale, Arizona said: do you want to be one of the big boys? I am also a man with money with no experience so lets form a partnership. Sounds crazy or unreal - its not! I just did it with another business and it is working out great.

I'm in florida now and would like to talk to you about starting a company here. Please contact me by email at smithpatrick5@gmail.com .

Anytime Auto Rescue

60 months ago

industryconsultant@road-help.com in Henderson, Nevada said: what is your email? and do you want towing start up info? or just roadside assistance?

I have been trying to email you and I keeps bouncing back. Do you have another email address that I can reach you on?

kim sanderson in Redlands, California

60 months ago

HOW MUCH MONEY ANNUALLY (NET/GROSS & BEFORE/AFTER OVERHEAD COST) DOES AN OWNER OF A TOW TRUCK COMPANY EARN, PREFERRABLY THOSE IN THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA? OR WHAT WEBSITE CAN I RETRIEVE THIS DATA?

junkr in Martinsville, Virginia

60 months ago

wishing to hook up with someone in the sw va area, that is willing help some one get into the industry, i can do road side assitance, manliy home eduacated, but i do well with what i know, and not afaid to learn what i do not know. my long term plan is a medium duty flat bed,,,,

i have a cdl awith air brakes, no start up capital for the truck but with limite twoing experiance, i figure i could earn and learn at the same time.

i do not want to put my email out there for all the spammers, if you are around martinsville va, or on the border or nc and va please post your email and i will contact you, thank you all for posting here it is helping

junkr in Martinsville, Virginia

60 months ago

just reread my post, i am sorry for the typos and bad spelling, but decently eduacted

JohnnyB in Newport News, Virginia

60 months ago

I've been driving tow trucks for the last 11 years. I've done towing and recovery, road service and transport. This year, I decided to start my own company. Right now I am doing basic road service, flat tires, jump starts, fuel delivery and lockouts. Business is slow right now, just a few calls in the first month. I am wondering if not offering towing is a bad idea. Looking at insurances, licensing, and the purchase of a tow truck the costs are prohibitive at this point. Finding financing has been difficult at best as a start up. I'm in Virginia, in the Williamsburg/Newport News/Hampton area. I have talked to a couple of other companies in the are and this the same way they started and they say this the best way to break into the business. Any advice, suggstions, or other input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

60 months ago

Quote: I've been driving tow trucks for the last 11 years. I've done towing and recovery, road service and transport. This year, I decided to start my own company. Right now I am doing basic road service, flat tires, jump starts, fuel delivery and lockouts. Business is slow right now, just a few calls in the first month. I am wondering if not offering towing is a bad idea. Looking at insurances, licensing, and the purchase of a tow truck the costs are prohibitive at this point. Finding financing has been difficult at best as a start up. I'm in Virginia, in the Williamsburg/Newport News/Hampton area. I have talked to a couple of other companies in the are and this the same way they started and they say this the best way to break into the business. Any advice, suggstions, or other input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!! Unquote

I Know that it can be difficult starting out and trying to figure out the best way to make a small towing business successful. I know because I have been in the towing business for 23 years and I started my own business in 1995 with no money. The best advice I can give you is to read a towing business course that I put online which explains everything I learned as a independendent towing business owner and operator and how I got started. This will ultimately save you time and money from trial and error and hopefully help steer you in the right direction. There is a small fee to access the information but there is alot of valuable information. I wish you luck in your business! www.howtotow.com

60 months ago

Quote: I've been driving tow trucks for the last 11 years. I've done towing and recovery, road service and transport. This year, I decided to start my own company. Right now I am doing basic road service, flat tires, jump starts, fuel delivery and lockouts. Business is slow right now, just a few calls in the first month. I am wondering if not offering towing is a bad idea. Looking at insurances, licensing, and the purchase of a tow truck the costs are prohibitive at this point. Finding financing has been difficult at best as a start up. I'm in Virginia, in the Williamsburg/Newport News/Hampton area. I have talked to a couple of other companies in the are and this the same way they started and they say this the best way to break into the business. Any advice, suggstions, or other input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!! Unquote

I Know that it can be difficult starting out and trying to figure out the best way to make a small towing business successful. I know because I have been in the towing business for 23 years and I started my own business in 1995 with no money. The best advice I can give you is to read a towing business course that I put online which explains everything I learned as a independendent towing business owner and operator and how I got started. This will ultimately save you time and money from trial and error and hopefully help steer you in the right direction. There is a small fee to access the information but there is alot of valuable information. I wish you luck in your business! www.howtotow.com

JohnnyB in Newport News, Virginia

60 months ago

Old Tow Guy in Auburn, Washington said: Quote: I've been driving tow trucks for the last 11 years. I've done towing and recovery, road service and transport. This year, I decided to start my own company. Right now I am doing basic road service, flat tires, jump starts, fuel delivery and lockouts. Business is slow right now, just a few calls in the first month. I am wondering if not offering towing is a bad idea. Looking at insurances, licensing, and the purchase of a tow truck the costs are prohibitive at this point. Finding financing has been difficult at best as a start up. I'm in Virginia, in the Williamsburg/Newport News/Hampton area. I have talked to a couple of other companies in the are and this the same way they started and they say this the best way to break into the business. Any advice, suggstions, or other input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!! Unquote

Thanks Old Tow Guy, I'll take a look.

A.B in Minneapolis, Minnesota

59 months ago

i need help or partner i need to start tow truck business in minnesota area but i do.t have experience

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

davis in Clarksburg, West Virginia

59 months ago

bobbyphenom said: honestly dan. the towing industry is filled with guys like you that have the money to start but have no idea what to do..its not a knock on you but, you need to work for someone. learn the business before opening up and just hiring people. because those drivers are gonna hate you. the company i work for is that same way.. dude just has money and decided to get into towing....needless to say its a mess...things arnt right..i ve worked for twelve companies in three states.. ive come to the conclusion they are prettymuch all the same..unorganized,cheap and ungrateful...its guys like me and other drivers who need to open a companies.. not dudes who just have money and feel like towing that day...its a lifestyle not a job...unfortunately it takes money to make money and us drivers get paid jack!!!!

I am looking to open a towing company I have been driving truck for the last 7 yrs and am ready for a change I am looking at a fairly new truck. and plan to run day and night by myself do you have any advise for me

56 months ago

davis in Clarksburg, West Virginia said: I am looking to open a towing company I have been driving truck for the last 7 yrs and am ready for a change I am looking at a fairly new truck. and plan to run day and night by myself do you have any advise for me

I started my own towing business back in 1995 only on the dream to become independendent for myself and my family. I didn't have any real money to start with but I had the desire and dedication to achieve my goals. The main advantage I had was experience in towing vehicles for 7 years prior to committing to my own towing business. The rest of the towing operation I had to figure out on my own. So to make life easier for anyone trying to operate their own independent towing business I put all of my towing experience online and made it easily accessible for everyone. I have yet to find anyone else offering this detailed towing information. To answer all your questions here in this forum is impossibe but I can give you some insight of what you can expect If you visit and sign up at my website, howtotow.com I cover topics such as: The type of tow truck you operate with is a huge decision. Motor Club information with addresses and phone numbers, how to unlock vehicles, how to hook up to vehicles in video format also to prevent damage claims and so many more topics. The best advice I can give you is get all the information you can before you commit to your own towing business. This will save you untold amounts of money and time. I wish I ran into this type of towing information that howtotow.com has to offer when I started my towing business.
Good luck and success in your future towing business.

Gin Coffman in Jacksonville, Florida

54 months ago

itstherealdeal in Glendale, Arizona said: do you want to be one of the big boys? I am also a man with money with no experience so lets form a partnership. Sounds crazy or unreal - its not! I just did it with another business and it is working out great.

I own a Towing company and I cant seem to make money at it I have several garages that use only me however, the pay from garages suck. I have paid several companys to put me online and they dont do what they say they are going to. I will be out of business by the first of the year if I dont figure out how to make this work..
Any help yall can give me would be greatly appriciated gingin0202@yahoo.com

natew in Birmingham, Alabama

54 months ago

How do tow companies find their customers? Not all customers know where they are located or are good at giving directions...that being said..

How do tow companies find people in a reasonable amount of time? I know GPS helps, but only if you KNOW where you're going.

Thanks!

54 months ago

It's pretty tough out there with all the competition, fuel prices and the recession. You might have to work longer hours, maybe 24/7.
Try to get as many accounts as you can and keep your rates competitive but not to where your losing money.

Try to get good motorclub contracts and drop the ones that are not willing to pay a reasonable contract rate.

Hope that helps.

54 months ago

natew in Birmingham, Alabama said: How do tow companies find their customers? Not all customers know where they are located or are good at giving directions...that being said..

How do tow companies find people in a reasonable amount of time? I know GPS helps, but only if you KNOW where you're going.

Thanks!

It helps to know the area but if you don't that's ok as the gps will guide you to the address given.

abtowing

54 months ago

bobbyphenom in Lady Lake, Florida said: if your intention is to work with your kids hold off a few years.. most insurance companies will not insure drivers under 25 some 23. but definately not 17 and 20

now on my behalf im 19 and in the process of starting my own towing service and have had a quote for me and the truck im getting done and it was pretty reasonable bt hey they may do things differently in your state

54 months ago

Regarding insurance for younger drivers: There are insurance agents willing to take you on but are you willing to pay the premiums? Always call your insurance company before hiring a younger drivers as rates may be higher. If you are looking to purchase new insurance for your start up business and you are young then you may have to do allot of reserch to find a agent willing to insure you. You may be put in a higher risk bracket and therefore pay higher premiums. Keep searching for better insurance rates especially as your business gains experience and hopefully you can show no damage claims for a certain period of time. Anything is possible with research. Never give up trying to make your bottom line more profitable by reducing costs not only with insurance but in all areas of your towing business. Reducing your costs means your customers pay less and ultimately keeps your customers coming back to you and refering others as you have the competitive edge in pricing.

Gabrielytu in Tempe, Arizona

53 months ago

I have a tow truck parking in my garage, and I want to start a bussiness in the tow industry. I have my own job, and i want to keep it, until I see it is safe to leave it. I need to find out what i need to do in order to get started, what kind of licence i need and where to go an get it, also the cost of this licence. I know the insurance is expensive but I am willing to take the risk if i find the right driver in los angeles (van nuys area). If i find the right person and I can afford the cost of all this, I will be fair with this person. 30% after expenses if I got the costumer and 40% after expenses if the driver gets the costumer. so we can make a win win situation. Gabriel, my adress is:
Gabrielytu@aol.com

gabrielcalilosangeles in Los Angeles, California

53 months ago

I have a tow truck parking in my garage, and I want to start a bussiness in the tow industry. I have my own job, and i want to keep it, until I see it is safe to leave it. I need to find out what i need to do in order to get started, what kind of licence i need and where to go an get it, also the cost of this licence. I know the insurance is expensive but I am willing to take the risk if i find the right driver in los angeles (van nuys area). If i find the right person and I can afford the cost of all this, I will be fair with this person. 30% after expenses if I got the costumer and 40% after expenses if the driver gets the costumer. so we can make a win win situation. Gabriel, my adress is:
Gabrielytu@aol.com

53 months ago

You should be able to apply for the business license online. To get your business license type in google search: business license and your state. Cost should be about $50.00....You will also need a federal tas id number. Tpye that in google search also. As far as what your willing to pay your driver, you are in the ballpark.
If you need towing business training visit: howtotow.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gabrielcalilosangeles in Los Angeles, California

53 months ago

Old Tow Guy in Auburn, Washington said: by the way how much experience do you have? I am currently writing a ebook about starting your own towing business and it will show you everything except repo's and impound yards. I will send you a copy when I am done if you want.

I would like to have a copy of your book, just tell me how much it will cost me, this is my email address. Gabrielytu@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Gabriel,

It's not a book but a online towing training business course for $29.95 with a money back guarantee. You can sign up at howtotow.com and then you will be redirected to the members area. If for some reason you were not redirected immediately after payment contact me by email from the email address on the site previously mentioned and I will send you a link ASAP.

Best Regards,

Wally

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Here's the link to obtain a federal tax id number online. Another name for it is EIN or Employer Identification nnumber

www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=98350,00.html

Also your when registering for a state business license or federal tax id number make sure that .GOV is listed somewhere in your web browsers address bar so that you know that it is not a scammers fraudulent site.

For WA State business license the link is www.dol.wa.gov/business/ and yours states link should also have .gov in the address.

53 months ago

DMV towing in Woodbridge, Virginia said: for Old Tow Guy, I have been solo for about three years. I'm having a bit of troubl eexpanding. Mot because of the money but becuase I dont have the buisness to keep two or more truck rolling. Anyhow I know all the how to's of loading and unloading vehicles. So do you think its any other info in your course that i could benifit from?

Thanks for the question DMV.

There is other information in my course that you could benefit from such as the motor clubs phone numbers and addresses. If you need to keep two trucks rolling I would suggest signing up with as many motor clubs or roadside assistance companies as you can. The motorclubs will send you more work than local or retail accounts. They do not pay as well but they will make up for it in quanity and hopefully pay your bills.

Since you have been a owner operator for a few years and have experience I don't know exactly what infomation in my course you could benefit from. There is about 18 different topics and even trailer building plans.

DMV Send me your email to: support@howtotow.com and I will send you a link to access the members area and view the information for free. If you find it useful then you can go to howtotow.com to sign up or pay for the membership.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.