To be the best...

Comments (3)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every transportation manager must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your transportation manager expertise?

Michael in San Rafael, California

84 months ago

Brenda:

If I had to limit myself to just three things to focus on, here's what I would attempt to do:

Stay on top of industry trends - know what's happening in your industry; know what "best-in-class" companies do; benchmark if possible; know what your competitors are doing.

Challenge the status quo; challenge yourself (and others) to continuously strive for excellence. Hold yourself accountable for creating value. Scorecard your performance at the end of each week - how did you improve service / reduce cost / improve processes, etc. Remember, accumulated incremental changes can become transformational.

Develop as many relationships as you can - internal / external and cross-functional. Avoid becoming siloed and making siloed decisions. Understand the upstream and downstream impact of the decisions that you make. Strive to build and maintain high-functioning, healthy working relationships.

Brenda in Sterling, Massachusetts

83 months ago

Thank you for the memo I printed it out and will keep it. I do have a long long way to go in pursuing this career.It's nice to know ahead of time.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.