New To Travel

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (28)

maryhoet in Surfside Beach, South Carolina

60 months ago

I am confused. Anyone please help. I am new to this. I've discovered you don't need formal education, but HOW do you go about selling and getting a commission. All I want to do is start part time with a small group for a cruise. I want to get a commission. WHO do I sign up with. So many people e-mailed me saying you pay X amt of $'s. Who can be trusted!? Any advice, please.Thank you, and may be all have a great year in bookings!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mommy24angels in Carpentersville, Illinois

59 months ago

Hi I have been in the travel industry since 1998. What kind of help you need? I am here to help.
Andrea

maryhoet in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

59 months ago

mommy24angels in Carpentersville, Illinois said: Hi I have been in the travel industry since 1998. What kind of help you need? I am here to help.
Andrea

Hi, I just want to know who I can go with to choose as a host agency, that doesn't have a high cost. I want to book one group per year, not get into travel agency a full time job. I have one group only, and want to make commission and free room, that's it.I just can't find a good host agency.

mommy24angels in Carpentersville, Illinois

59 months ago

I know I am independent contractor and I have to work everything on my own and follow foot steps. There is no easy way out of things. If you need help let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Rochester, New York

57 months ago

Jennifer in Phoenix, Arizona said: I have just the place for you! Check it out nettravelease.com/agentbusiness.html

Jennifer,

What makes net travel ease better than the rest?

Jennifer in Phoenix, Arizona

56 months ago

Scott in Rochester, New York said: Jennifer,

What makes net travel ease better than the rest?

For one, they pay 75% commission, they have ongoing, online training, they do not charge 495+ to join, they support staff, and are very helpful, you can build your bussiness they way you want, and they are there to help. check them out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Danielle in Folsom, California

47 months ago

Jim and Shannon - did either of you go with one of the agencies you discussed? I was looking at KHM Travel but looked at the two you mentioned as well. Did one of them have a better consumer facing web site? And have you started yet? I would love to hear more if you have.

Thanks!
Danielle

shannon slattery in Port Orchard, Washington

47 months ago

Danielle,
after 3 months of looking at all the different host agency and speaking with them on the phone, I have decided to go with TPI, this host agency will work with me and help me grow my business. It really depends on what you are looking for from the host agency. Make sure you call them on the phone to see how they handle your questions. Good luck.

Shannon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Danielle in Folsom, California

47 months ago

Thank Shannon! I will check them out too. How do you like your website? Can I take a look at it? Do you mind? I am really interested in booking travel to more family friendly destinations.

Thanks!
Danielle

shannon slattery in Port Orchard, Washington

47 months ago

Danielle,
TPI does not give you a website until you go through training and pass their test, I am new to the travel industry, if you are experienced you will get to develop you website as soon as you join. I will be happy to send my website in about a month.

Shannon

Jill in Westerville, Ohio

45 months ago

shannon slattery in Port Orchard, Washington said: Danielle,
TPI does not give you a website until you go through training and pass their test, I am new to the travel industry, if you are experienced you will get to develop you website as soon as you join. I will be happy to send my website in about a month.

Shannon

Hey Shannon, I've been following your posts on the forum and see that you joined TPI about a month ago. Are you happy so far? Any surprises? Would you recommend them? Which level did you join under? I am new to the travel industry so I'm leaning more towards the more $$ level so that I can learn all I can. Would love any input. Thanks.
Jill (jlbnagle@gmail.com)

The Dude in San Antonio, Texas

45 months ago

Jill,

Please read my posts on the other forum. Shannon is a tool slickly trying to promote this rip off online business. Dont fall for it.

-The Dude...12+ years in the travel industry and finally free!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jill in Westerville, Ohio

45 months ago

Dude, What other forum are you referring to? Who are you representing?

And this is not the forum to bash others.

shannon slattery in Lakewood, Washington

45 months ago

Dude,
I am new to the travel business just like Jill is. Successful people in any business must have a good attitude. I am not promoting a rip off online business. Why do you spend so much time reading this web site when you are no longer in the travel business? You need to move on to you new career.

Shannon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

The Dude in San Antonio, Texas

45 months ago

My new career is fine thanks. Since leaving on my own accord, I earned a master's degree, published 2 books and am working on a 3rd to be ready in October...about the Travel industry. I also have a nice little side business.

I'm not spending much time here at all. But it does send me an email everytime someone replies to the thread, and I will respond accordingly.

No worries. Doesnt take anytime at all.

Youre welcome!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Seeker in Redmond, Washington

45 months ago

I have also decided on looking at travel host agency's and not to sound rude but TPI's website looks like it was put together by a high schooler. compare TPI to KHM and their commission percentages and see for yourself which is better. KHM is 80% to the first $5000 and 90% after. TPI is 70%... then look at support. This is just some insight to those looking. I am still not ready to join one or another, but KHM is looking better. I just wish i could talk to someone that has joined KHM as a newbie and get input from them. cheers

Mousemom in Alexander City, Alabama

45 months ago

I have been working with a homebased travel agency called Fairytale Journeys. They are a small homebased business that specializes in Disney Vacations. I have been very happy with them. I would definitely look into them. I've only heard good things from all of our clients.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Danielle in Sacramento, California

45 months ago

Mousemom in Alexander City, Alabama said: I have been working with a homebased travel agency called Fairytale Journeys. They are a small homebased business that specializes in Disney Vacations. I have been very happy with them. I would definitely look into them. I've only heard good things from all of our clients.

Mousemom - I am so glad you mentioned them. I just emailed them and hope to hear back soon. If you have more info could you email me? Dani2358@yahoo.com

Thanks!

MomofTwins in Westerville, Ohio

45 months ago

Does anyone have any experience with Nexion, good or bad?

Doug Walsh in Crosswicks, New Jersey

38 months ago

There is a new site to help those interested in entering the travel industry. This should give you the help you need www.hottraveljobs.com/new-to-travel/

VOA in Ottawa, Ontario

38 months ago

I really hope someone who has been in this business for 6 months or more can share their experiences, both positive and negative, especially the genuine host agencies and how much one can make from this business.

Jae Taylor in District Heights, Maryland

34 months ago

I am new to the travel business. I need to join a host agency. I need recommendations. I have taken some courses at this time.

Doug Walsh in Crosswicks, New Jersey

34 months ago

E-mail me your resume doug@hottraveljobs.com

Nimeje97@gmail.com in Newark, New Jersey

33 months ago

Doug Walsh in Crosswicks, New Jersey said: E-mail me your resume doug@hottraveljobs.com

Hi Doug.

What exactly do you do?...how can you help a seasoned travel agent like me?

Doug in Berkley, Michigan

33 months ago

As our sister company has numerous opportunities for positions in the travel industry for "seasoned travel agents like yourself, probably nothing.

shamechelle in Kenton, Ohio

30 months ago

mommy24angels in Carpentersville, Illinois said: I know I am independent contractor and I have to work everything on my own and follow foot steps. There is no easy way out of things. If you need help let me know.

i need to know how do you get started in this business and is it very expensive to get started

Doug in Howell, New Jersey

30 months ago

If you go to www.hottraveljobs.com you can review a posting from Expedia Cruise Ships that are looking for IC's. You may also want to review the
"New to Travel" section, there is an FAQ section and other areas that will give you some insight.

Jennifer in Phoenix, Arizona

19 months ago

Jae Taylor in District Heights, Maryland said: I am new to the travel business . I need to join a host agency. I need recommendations. I have taken some courses at this time.

I recommend checking into Net Travel Ease, they have an awesome support system, they help you to grow your business, they also have awesome training and do not charge excessive franchise fees. I have been selling travel online for 13 years now and they are the best.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.