Why are international (at least Asian) air fares better with travel agents?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (17)

Alec in Beaverton, Oregon

83 months ago

Despite deep pocketed companies like Expedia, Travelocity in the
field, why are travel agents able to give better deals in
international air fares (at least Asia). Are Expedia, Travelocity etc
positionally weaker consolidators than the one's travel agents are
with, do consolidators always get better buck when they go through
travel agents, this doesn't seem to be the case for Domestic flights,
is this because North American market is deregulated and isn't
International market too de-regulated?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BNTG in Springfield, Virginia

83 months ago

Usually this is because the rules attached to consolidator tickets are varied and don't apply uniformly...this is something a TA would pick up on since we are talking case by case basis...and the customer purchasing the ticket can adhere to those rules...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BNTG in Springfield, Virginia

83 months ago

Consolidators "are" coming full circle however and I predict we're just on the horizon of having those fares published more "evenly" for the larger travel agencies to take advantage of en masse

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tyr in Portland, Oregon

83 months ago

BNTG in Springfield, Virginia said: Consolidators "are" coming full circle however and I predict we're just on the horizon of having those fares published more "evenly" for the larger travel agencies to take advantage of en masse

How soon is this tentatively gonna be? That seems to imply a sharp drop in the value the International travel agents can provide. Of course, not all go out of business as there are tour package providers etc where personal contact is better and there are many customers that don't buy tickets via internet (e.g., many baby boomers) but goto the brick-and-mortar agents, but those that usually purchase tickets (Domestic) on web and still goto agents for the International tickets (as they get better deals) are no more gonna goto the International travel agents. Is that rite?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Tyr in Portland, Oregon

83 months ago

BNTG in Springfield, Virginia said: Usually this is because the rules attached to consolidator tickets are varied and don't apply uniformly...this is something a TA would pick up on since we are talking case by case basis...and the customer purchasing the ticket can adhere to those rules...

Thanks for the reply

BNTG in Alexandria, Virginia

83 months ago

Remember, just because more of those consolidation fares will hit the market does not mean any significant changes to come fare wise. It will just be a slight increase in the number available, but look how many international fares there are out there! The market is very protected as the airlines see this market as very lucrative. The value of a good TA who can put together good itineraries will not go anywhere. The tickets won't drop to "that" point, but of course you will see those fares pop up from time to time depending on demand.

Your welcome of course.

BNTG in Alexandria, Virginia

83 months ago

TA's will always have a value believe me and in fact that value is going up. One thing the internet does is complicate things as far as researching travel goes and in fact there are more people starting to go back to their TA. Brick and mortar simply means a building/person you can touch of course but the same technology that backs the online travel sites are the same ones backing the brick and mortars.

Inspector in Missouri

78 months ago

I was a travel agent for many years.
What I am proud of mwas my relationship with different consolidators.

Also, i became somewhat of a routing expert, particularly on "Asia" fares.

I used tour operators and consolidators that were reputable, and who knew the best way to get to or around the country.

International air fares are more complex than domestic (and in a lot of ways are easier). First of all, international fares, for the most part are based on mileage and routing. It may be more expensive to travel to Beijing via Tokyo, than say via Seoul.

International flights do not go everyday to many places. Comepetition and capacity is a factor.

There is NOTHING WRONG with using a travel agent. Travel agents , the majority, now charge fees. Travel Agents have to make a living, too !

I considered myself a travel professional, when I was in the biz. People pay their lawyers, doctors, accountants for their expertise and think nothing of it, but they'll gripe to pay a few bucks to a travel agent.

I can't wait to have my operation on the internet !!

Inspector in Missouri

78 months ago

Alec in Beaverton, Oregon said: Despite deep pocketed companies like Expedia, Travelocity in the
travel agents, this doesn't seem to be the case for Domestic flights,

What people don't realize is Travelocity, Expedia and Orbitz are all TRAVEL AGENCIES. They operate online, but they are contracted by the different airlines,
hotels, tour operators, etc.

robert in Corpus Christi, Texas

75 months ago

Alec in Beaverton, Oregon said: Despite deep pocketed companies like Expedia, Travelocity in the
travel agents, this doesn't seem to be the case for Domestic flights, because travel agents have more resources than one search engine and they also have blocked cabins on cruises.I am a travel agent and I don't charge my clients for discounts and i have a huge database of discounts for travel anywhere in the world.e-mail me if you want to travel. batholomae@sbcglobal.net

because travel agents have more resources than one search engine and they also have blocked cabins on cruises.I am a travel agent and I don't charge my clients for discounts and i have a huge database of discounts for travel anywhere in the world.e-mail me if you want to travel. batholomae@sbcglobal.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

robert in Corpus Christi, Texas

75 months ago

because travel agents have more resources than one search engine and they also have blocked cabins on cruises.I am a travel agent and I don't charge my clients for discounts and i have a huge database of discounts for travel anywhere in the world.e-mail me if you want to travel. batholomae@sbcglobal.net

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

alex in Fort Belvoir, Virginia

73 months ago

travel agents gets a better deal and expedia has there own overheads.

I always check fare in expedia and compare against www.alexys.us and I find
the fare is lower at alexys.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

karthigan in Houston, Texas

68 months ago

Could you please point me to some international airline consolidators for Asia? I am working on becoming a travel agent. My focus in on international air travel from USA to Asia. I would greatly appreciate your help.

Kindest Regards,
Karthigan Srinivasan.

Inspector in Missouri said: I was a travel agent for many years.
What I am proud of mwas my relationship with different consolidators.

Also, i became somewhat of a routing expert, particularly on "Asia" fares.

I used tour operators and consolidators that were reputable, and who knew the best way to get to or around the country.

International air fares are more complex than domestic (and in a lot of ways are easier). First of all, international fares, for the most part are based on mileage and routing. It may be more expensive to travel to Beijing via Tokyo, than say via Seoul.

International flights do not go everyday to many places. Comepetition and capacity is a factor.

There is NOTHING WRONG with using a travel agent. Travel agents , the majority, now charge fees. Travel Agents have to make a living, too !

I considered myself a travel professional, when I was in the biz. People pay their lawyers, doctors, accountants for their expertise and think nothing of it, but they'll gripe to pay a few bucks to a travel agent.

I can't wait to have my operation on the internet !!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mufti63- Houston in New York, New York

62 months ago

On Interenet there are good companies, one or two I tried also, but to my surprise they just ignore special packages to the Holy sites of Muslims where millions of millions people go every year, and Finally we have to rely on the local travel agents. Even if I become a member of any Online renowned agency, still because of the non-availability of those special packages for UMRA AND HAJJ (The first one is smaller pilgrimage to MECCA and 2nd one is more days to live in Holy Meccs KSA), Can anyone point any online -internet based travel Business whome I can become a part of and start my home based business, as they are the people I can deal all the year long,

halinadahl in Houston, Texas

62 months ago

Where can I find best air- deals to Warsaw or Poznan (in Poland )?

putu susrama in Satellite Provider

46 months ago

suryatravel.webs.com

Bali is still a safe place to visit. Give a chance to this island to recover. So please come and spend your holiday in Bali. Surya Tours would be much more than happy if we could help you to make a memorable holiday in Bali, so please surf ahead our products. Should you need any further information, please just feel free to contact us.

Bali is nog steeds een veilige plaats om te bezoeken. Een kans te geven om dit eiland te herstellen. Dus kom en breng je vakantie in Bali. Surya Tours zou veel meer dan blij zijn als we kunnen u helpen om een onvergetelijke vakantie in Bali te maken, dus vooruit surf onze producten. Mocht u verdere informatie, kunt u gewoon vrijblijvend contact met ons op.

Bali est encore un endroit sûr à visiter. Donner une chance à cette île pour récupérer. Alors s'il vous plaît venez passer vos vacances à Bali. Tours Surya serait beaucoup plus heureux si nous pouvions vous aider à faire un séjour mémorable à Bali, donc s'il vous plaît naviguer à venir de nos produits. Si vous avez besoin de plus amples renseignements, s'il vous plaît juste n'hésitez pas à nous contacter.

Bali ist nach wie vor an einem sicheren Ort zu besuchen. Eine Chance zu geben, um diese Insel zu erholen. Also bitte kommen Sie und verbringen Sie Ihren Urlaub in Bali. Surya Tours wäre viel mehr als glücklich, wenn wir helfen könnten Sie einen unvergesslichen Urlaub in Bali zu machen, also bitte Brandung vor unserer Produkte. Sollten Sie weitere Informationen benötigen, zögern Sie bitte einfach Kontakt mit uns auf.

Bali è ancora un posto sicuro da visitare. Dare una possibilità a questa isola per recuperare. Quindi, per favore venite a trascorrere la vostra vacanza a Bali. Tours Surya sarebbe molto più felice se potessimo aiutarli a fare una memorabile vacanza a Bali, vi preghiamo di navigare avanti le nostre prodotti. Se avete bisogno di ulteriori informazioni, si prega solo esitate a contattarci.

putu susrama in Satellite Provider

46 months ago

Bali is still a safe place to visit. Give a chance to this island to recover. So please come and spend your holiday in Bali. Surya Tours would be much more than happy if we could help you to make a memorable holiday in Bali, so please surf ahead our products. Should you need any further information, please just feel free to contact us.

suryatravel.webs.com

Bali is nog steeds een veilige plaats om te bezoeken. Een kans te geven om dit eiland te herstellen. Dus kom en breng je vakantie in Bali. Surya Tours zou veel meer dan blij zijn als we kunnen u helpen om een onvergetelijke vakantie in Bali te maken, dus vooruit surf onze producten. Mocht u verdere informatie, kunt u gewoon vrijblijvend contact met ons op.

Bali est encore un endroit sûr à visiter. Donner une chance à cette île pour récupérer. Alors s'il vous plaît venez passer vos vacances à Bali. Tours Surya serait beaucoup plus heureux si nous pouvions vous aider à faire un séjour mémorable à Bali, donc s'il vous plaît naviguer à venir de nos produits. Si vous avez besoin de plus amples renseignements, s'il vous plaît juste n'hésitez pas à nous contacter.

Bali ist nach wie vor an einem sicheren Ort zu besuchen. Eine Chance zu geben, um diese Insel zu erholen. Also bitte kommen Sie und verbringen Sie Ihren Urlaub in Bali. Surya Tours wäre viel mehr als glücklich, wenn wir helfen könnten Sie einen unvergesslichen Urlaub in Bali zu machen, also bitte Brandung vor unserer Produkte. Sollten Sie weitere Informationen benötigen, zögern Sie bitte einfach Kontakt mit uns auf.

Bali è ancora un posto sicuro da visitare. Dare una possibilità a questa isola per recuperare. Quindi, per favore venite a trascorrere la vostra vacanza a Bali. Tours Surya sarebbe molto più felice se potessimo aiutarli a fare una memorabile vacanza a Bali, vi preghiamo di navigare avanti le nostre prodotti. Se avete bisogno di ulteriori informazioni, si prega solo esitate a contattarci.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.