CDL and seizures

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (35)

beamrider747 in Bakersfield, California

55 months ago

I had a seizure in 2006.......I think u need to be off the meds for 5 years....then seizure free for another 5.....THAT'S 10 YEARS.......it really is the kiss of death. No doctor will even consider taking you off meds....putting you back behind a wheel...and you end up killing a bus load of kids....the doctors don't want that liability.
They never found any reason for my seizure.......I have only had 1.....I think the doctor called it a PARTIAL SEIZURE DISORDER...just to cover his ass.

I am too the point I am considering getting a lawyer.....and of course somewhere out there...I gotta find 2 doctors that will dispute the original doctors findings....but there again....it's all about LIABILITY..........I wish u all the best.............we r most likely outcast from the big rigs forever....strange how the diabetics can continue to drive. I did ask that question once.....I was informed that the seizure med DOES NOT PREVENT seizures.....just helps to lessen the chance you will have another.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Cathy in Cleveland, Tennessee

54 months ago

I would like to talk to them also. I've looked for any information I could find on the internet and I've seen 10 years to never. I'm gonna contact TN DOT today and ask them directly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

FedUpWithCA in Ripley, Tennessee

53 months ago

I used to know a "hopalong". In TN, I think your driving career is over. It sucks, but is way too risky for the state to permit you to drive. FMCSA is only part of it. Check with TN Dept of Safety.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Terry Barnhill in Bakersfield, California

52 months ago

I use to think about becoming a heavy equipment operator....it DOES NOT require a class A..........might b an option

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Cathy in Crossville, Tennessee

52 months ago

I'd even do that. I have authority issues and that's why I liked driving a truck. I would think being a heavy equip. operator would be somewhat similar. I'm gonna check into it. I'll let ya know... Thx

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cathy in Crossville, Tennessee

49 months ago

Cathy in Crossville, Tennessee said: I'd even do that. I have authority issues and that's why I liked driving a truck. I would think being a heavy equip. operator would be somewhat similar. I'm gonna check into it. I'll let ya know... Thx

I've checked with a heavy equip operator school in AL and they're telling me that being on seizure meds is not a problem. Gonna research further. They'll tell ya anything to get their $7,000....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Roger in Stony Point, New York

45 months ago

I had a seizure that made me pass out and have an accident last year. I was driving a CMV class B and the cause was a tumor on my right temporal lobe. They suspended my license indefinitely for 1 year and now my Dr. cleared me for driving my personal vehicle and not commercially....what do I do now? Driving is all I know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Mark Smith in Fresno, California

44 months ago

I had tumor surgery to my 5th cranial nerve on the left side of my head about 20 years ago. The surgery caused scares in the area that caused seizures. I was a police officer at the time and was medically retired about 5 years ago with what my doctor called a verbal disorder. I was taken off of medication in 2007 and allowed to have my commercial drivers license. I had not had a loss of consciousness since 1994. Unfortunatly I had a loss of counsciousness August of this year and was placed back on medication. I have had no problems since but was told I would never drive commercial again. There is supposed to be a study going on about possibly changing the dot rules. Is that true? The only thing I know to and wish to do know is trucking. I would like to know if there is something I can do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

twisk in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: You can get a CDL after 6 months seizure free. However you will never again be able to drive a commercial passenger vehicle regardless of much time passes or if you become medicine free

Most of the time unless you get the right DMV Hearing Officer you won't get your Class A for interstate and in California even intrastate back until you have been seizure free for 10 years and are off of medication. There are some states where you may be able to get an intrastate Class A. Check the epilepsy foundation website under drivers license laws by state. Good luck. I'm stuck in California so I probably will not drive a Commercial vehicle again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

41 months ago

Mark Smith in Fresno, California said: Most of the time unless you get the right DMV Hearing Officer you won't get your Class A for interstate and in California even intrastate back until you have been seizure free for 10 years and are off of medication. There are some states where you may be able to get an intrastate Class A. Check the epilepsy foundation website under drivers license laws by state. Good luck. I'm stuck in California so I probably will not drive a Commercial vehicle again.[/QU

Thanks for the info,
Sorry to hear that, I have discussed the DOT regulations with medical review and they said it will take about six months to review and decide whether I will be able to drive again " not guaranteed " though. Lots of luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mcek4you in Lancaster, Pennsylvania

38 months ago

twisk in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: You can get a CDL after 6 months seizure free. However you will never again be able to drive a commercial passenger vehicle regardless of much time passes or if you become medicine free

Can you explain how you got the CDL with current medical certificate. Who did you contact?

Thanks

mcek4you in Lancaster, Pennsylvania

38 months ago

C

How did you get the medical exam cleared?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

I've had a CDL for 15 years. DMV only suspended my license for 1 year because of the seizure and the accident. My license was restored five and a half months ago and now I'm trying to get a waiver from DOT so I can drive commercial vehicles again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

38 months ago

CA Vehicle Safety says the same thing about certain medications claiming it is a Fed DOT law. To my knowledge DOT is regulation and not law. Also, Fed DOT regulates only interstate operation and does not regulate intrastate operations. Intrastate operation is left to each state. The State of Oregon is a good example. It determines CDLs on a case to case basis for intrastate operation and allows seizure medications.

batman in Statesville, North Carolina

36 months ago

i had a seizure back in may of 2011. it's the only one i have had and all my test are not showing anything wrong. i was working some long hours and little sleep at the time. is ten years the guideline for being able to drive with a cdl again and are there any exceptions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Hopalong in Sparta, Tennessee

36 months ago

I have researched this extensively due to the fact that it was devastating to me that I could no longer drive a big truck. You have to go 10 years seizure free off medication in order to drive. However, I had every test you can have and they all pointed toward epilepsy. I had what they call "spikes" in my EEG which are seizure activity. They cannot explain how all of a sudden at age 48 I developed epilepsy. My husband is still driving and I got my old job back as a graphic designer but I'd much rather be driving a truck. Hope you have better luck than I have.

masmith1960@hotmail.com in Fresno, California

36 months ago

Thanks Hopalong. I feel the same as you. There are states that allow intrastate driving but in California I think I am stuck with the 10 year rule. Same thing on age. I am 50. Ten years pretty much closes me out.

36 months ago

I spoke to the head RN at the FMCSA and he told me for a single unprovoked seizure I have to be on a steady medicine regimen for 2 years and seizure free for 4 years in order to qualify for the exemption.There`s a good chance I will be able to drive again come 2013.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lawdog2062@gmail.com in Fresno, California

36 months ago

Roger, thanks for your info. I'll have to see what I can do. I hadn't had a loss of consciousness for over ten years. Mine is caused by scars from a tumor I had removed years ago. I don't know if they would consider it a non-provoked seizure or not but it is worth trying. I'll try contacting FMCSA and continue trying with state of California to get a intrastate CDL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

a.cure120411@gmail.com in Scottsdale, Arizona

24 months ago

hi there i wanted to ask all of you that have had seizures and CDL's a question. I am currently going to school to be a Auto/Diesel Technician but since I have Epilespy and the only thing preventing my seizures from reoccuring is to take medicine. Is there a Class CDL that I can get for working in Diesel Shops? I know I dont need a Class A with full indorsements. I tried asking my father who has been a OTR for 30 yrs but he doesnt have seizures so he didnt know. Any help would be great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

Hi A.Cure, To my knowledge no kind of CDL or endorsement is needed to be able to operate commercial vehicles while performing mechanics. The Department of Transportation/Federal Motor Carrier Safety Commission (FMCSA) website has information regarding this issue. The DMV of the state in which you live should have information regarding whether there are any requirements or not in that state. I'm still waiting myself for the DOT. This is the first time the DOT is considering an exemption for epilepsy and loss of consciousness. I hope I have been some help to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Hopalong in Crossville, Tennessee

24 months ago

Hi lawdog. Is DOT seriously considering making an exception? How long before you know? I haven't been able to drive for 2 1/2 years and am missing it desperately. I had one grand maul and haven't had one since. I would give anything to be able to drive again. Who do you contact at DOT for an exemption?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

BUBBA KENT in Eustis, Florida

24 months ago

i have epelepsy and im on meds and im suppose to be goin to Dallas TX for a truck driving school called FFE and now that ive been thankin im not to sure if they will take me it never occured to me b/c i have a regular DL and i have no problem at all im fine but i donk know what todo i could use a couple answers to help me out!!

WILL I BE ABLE TO CHASE MY DREAMS?
or no?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hopalong in Crossville, Tennessee

24 months ago

Don't do it bubba! If you have epilepsy, as I do, you can't drive a commercial vehicle. You have to be off meds for 10 YEARS with no seizures in order to drive. Did you tell them you had epilepsy? If so, and they told you to come on, I would report them to the proper authorities because they're just trying to get your money. I have a regular license as well, but I had to give up my CDL. My doctor told me he had my file well documented and if I got back in the truck and drove and had a seizure and killed someone I would go to jail for murder. I haven't had a seizure since the first and only one 2 years ago and would give anything to drive again. However, it's just not worth taking the risk of possibly killing myself, my husband, or some innocent family driving down the road. I have researched this extensively, but if you find something different please let me know.

24 months ago

Hi Hopalong. I applied for exemption in December. Found how to apply exemption on Department of Transportation/Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. I'm still waiting for an answer. They told me last month that it should be soon but was taking a while because it was not considered for seizure disorders in the past.

24 months ago

Hi again Hopalong. I know how you feel about getting back on the road. I've been off the road since Aug 2010. I have a good neuralogist who has taken care of my problem with proper medication and I have not had any problems since 2010. I was a trucker before going full time police officer. I spent 20+ years as a police officer but never was that happy with it and always wanted to go back to police officer. I was medically retired in 2007 my memory and ability to talk had been damaged from a surgery I had for a tumor years ago and over the years got to where it just effected me too much. I returned to truck driving but had the seizure which as you know disqualifies me medically. Like you I looked for a way to get an exemption. I found how to apply on the DOT website. Good Luck...Lawdog

24 months ago

Hopalong. I got reading my comment. On the 4th line I wrote "always wanted to go back to police officer". I meant I wanted to go back to being a truck driver.

TWOBEARS1SHOT@AOL.COM in New Castle, Pennsylvania

24 months ago

Does anyone know what the rules are for cdl,s and seizure disorders in Pa?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

24 months ago

epilepsy foundation should have something. I forget exactly what it is called but they have a search box at the usual spot on their web.

23 months ago

Hopalong in Crossville, Tennessee said: Hi lawdog. Is DOT seriously considering making an exception? How long before you know? I haven't been able to drive for 2 1/2 years and am missing it desperately. I had one grand maul and haven't had one since. I would give anything to be able to drive again. Who do you contact at DOT for an exemption?

Hi Hopalong. Hadn't seen anything from you I wondered if you got my message on DOT and possible exemption. I am still waiting. I called last week. They told me the paperwork had gone for reobservation and was on it's way to the administrator for completion. That is the last that I know regarding the exemption.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

SurvivorSean in Saint Catharines, Ontario

16 months ago

In 1980 I had my 1st seizure at the age of 8. I was put on Tegretol and eventually by the time I reached my teens I was taken off the medication as a recommendation by my teachers due to the side effects to memory and learning. As a teenager my dad was calling for me down the stairs as i was sleeping. He came in to see me putting on 2 pairs of underwear. I felt startled and a bit disoriented and he had thought I was on drugs. I decided to report it to my doctor as a possible seizure and they took my regular license away. I had to wait a year to get it back and that was 20 years ago.

I had a seizure for the 1st time under medication about 8 years ago and told my girlfriend at the time don't say anything because I was afraid to lose my license. About 3 years ago I had another one with what was then my wife and decided I had to do something. To my surprise I did not lose my license and was simply added another medication. To my knowledge I have been seizure free ever since.

Any scans always showed a slightly irregular brain wave on the left hand side. My seizures are nocturnal (only occur when sleeping). Considering I was clear to drive I figured this wouldn't be an issue going for a CDL. When I got my physical that is when I first heard of the red flag. As far as I now my neurologist said he would write a letter on my behalf. Not too concerned about if I get my license as I already paid for the physical. My concern now lies in will anyone hire me OTR which probably will included across the border.

I've been planning for this for 9 months now, and I'm afraid the dream is over. I'm trying to call companies like Schneider to get their take on this as I don't want to spend any further money if I don't have to on a wasted dream. But I really want this bad, and believe I'm good to go. Is my dream over?

Beamrider747 in Bakersfield, California

13 months ago

for those of us who have had seizures in the past....I was trying to post a web address but this forum

my email address is heavyfe@sbcglobal.net will not let me.

email me and I will send the link

13 months ago

for those of us who have had seizures in the past....I was trying to post a web address but this forum

will not let me.

my email address is heavyfe@sbcglobal.net

email me and I will send the link

SurvivorSean in Saint Catharines, Ontario

13 months ago

Thanks for the info

Looks like I'm still border line considering I've had 3 known documented seizures. I'm not diagnosed as epileptic, though I've had epileptic like seizures 3 total in my life (first 2 off medication, most recent a few years ago where they gave me a 2nd medication). Since that time I've been seizure free. I'm considered a controlled epileptic who has suffered from nocturnal (all have taken place while sleeping) seizures due to a slightly irregular brain wave on the one side of my brain.

I like the steps they've taken to give exemptions to some of these victims, but I wish they would take further steps to understand how little risk I pose considering my circumstances. There are very few jobs available with my experience these days, and this was one career that for now is still in demand.

With the risks involved of being rejected I've simply given up my desire for getting a CDL as I don't want any false hope or expenses in training eventually leading to a dead end.

Thanks

Sean

13 months ago

Just keep praying.....ask for guidance.....u will get it !!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.