Hard to find company paid CDL training and be home 3 or 4 weekends a month?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 142)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

jessica051182 in martinsburg, West Virginia

77 months ago

Okay, I have a little situation, and cannot seem to find an appropriate answer. Hopefully you can all help:)

I am a daddys girl(he drives a truck) and I have considered the career many times before, as far as actually going to get my CDL learners and getting enrolled in the school.

I am interested in going with a company that offers the CDL training themselves(1 yr contract to repay, i know)but here is my CATCH. I want a truck driving job where I am home 3-4 weekends a month. I know it sounds far fetched, but my father works for Star Transport out of Morton Ill and he is home 3 weekends a month, would be for 4, but he just stays in a hotel a few hours away from home for that 4th weekend. But Star only offers CDL training to IL residents only.

So I know I can find a company who would, but I have no idea where to look.

My second CATCH would be that I have a child that lives here in the WV/MD area and I would have to be here in this area every other weekend. But I am planning on moving to NC next month, so would need to be in NC the other 1 or 2 weekends so I can spend time with my husband and our child.

If I cant find a company that would atleast TRY and accomodate me, then I wouldnt drive, simple as that. my family is way more important to me.

I know these may seem unreasonable, but I thought I would try. My father has driven a truck for MANY years, and said it isnt impossible, I only have to search for it.

Any ideas from anyone??
Thanks!

I live in WV and

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (224) / No (53) Reply - Report abuse

jessica051182 in martinsburg, West Virginia

77 months ago

Thank you, but Werner only reimburses you for the truck school loans correct? I would have to pay out of my pocket for school first?? or do they actually send you to a driving school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (98) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

boulaye toure in Denver, Colorado

77 months ago

looking truck drivers cdl b & A tel 720 532 3158

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Quinn in Woodstock, Minnesota

77 months ago

I am thinking of going to CR England School in November any thoughts of that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (321) / No (111) Reply - Report abuse

jerry washington in Richmond, Virginia

75 months ago

i am like the daddy i want to learn more

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Slidell, Louisiana

74 months ago

I really hope you didn't go with Werner, they don't have the best rep with drivers, I'd try Con-Way or CFI, or maybe look into a dedicated or intermodal route with Schneider National. These all would get you home, and they're decent companies.

I saw a website about training...

truck-driver-training.blogspot.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Chad Nelson in Orlando, Florida

74 months ago

i need to find somebody withh a truck that would be willing to rent so ican get my cdl.I already have the permit and cant afford those expensive truck driving schools. I have a place that will do it for $175 but i need the truck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (41) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Quinn in Woodstock, Minnesota

74 months ago

Try truck companies that you want to work for and ask them if they would allow you to use there trucks. Try Community Colleges that have truck driving programs they might help you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Patty in Antigo, Wisconsin

74 months ago

I hate to rain on your parade.But you won't find a job and be home every weekend while youre in training.You better plan on being out 4 weeks before you can go home.Then after your hometime you have to go back out with a trainer and finish up your training.Good luck in whatever you decide Patty

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

djkew14@msn.com in Lakeland, Florida

71 months ago

looking for paid cdl training in orlando any one no dont mind being away or working day or nights dont mind reefers box flats low boys can rope and tarp and trap thanks let me no please danny

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jesse in Gaithersburg, Maryland

70 months ago

I have my cdl learner permit and need to find someone to train me on the truck so that i can get my cdl permit can anyone help me. that know a company that will train me . I have not work in over 7 months now...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (51) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Bruce in North Tazewell, Virginia

70 months ago

With the economy in such a situation, PLEASE HELP US_OBAMA??? Anyways, I ran across this post searching the web for a job!! I currently have a CDL (CLASS-A) with Tanker and Hazmat endorsements, and worked for a local distributor selling Budweiser in West Virginia until the recent death of my Mother-In-Law. However, I followed my Wife to Southern WV/VA line , near Tazewell, Virginia so she could care for her Father who is disabled and just lost his Wife. I'm relying on my truck driving experience to place me in a decent job to care for my family. However, I always had weekends off and to me this was my family time, but I now need employment. This is all new to me, so is there jobs out there in trucking to possibly work 3 weeks and off 5 days, or weekends off, etc...I'm 35 yrs old, dependable and want to work. If anyone is needing a team mate or could lead me in a career that is promising--give me a shout at ridindirtynwv@yahoo.com
Im not hard to get along with as a team, but would rather drive myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Patty in Pearson, Wisconsin

70 months ago

Bruce,you need to tell the people how much exp do you have.How long has it been since you drove a semi?Do you have any OTR exp?Most companies won't hire u unless you have some OTR exp.You'll have to get trained.Which is at least 6 weeks gone.Then you may be able to find a company that'll work with you on your hometime. Take Care and Good Luck Patty

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

timone in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

69 months ago

Jesse in Gaithersburg, Maryland said: I have my cdl learner permit and need to find someone to train me on the truck so that i can get my cdl permit can anyone help me. that know a company that will train me . I have not work in over 7 months now...

i know how it is now. been there before, its hard. but if you wannnt ot get your training and cdl license i have a proposal for you. I have a class a cdl w? / hazmat, no luck in getting a driving in a long time, but i found a company that will pay 44 cent a mile ( 5000 to 7000 dollors a month) but i need a partner to do this. its a 24 foot truck with a sleeper 3wks out 1 wk in. if you want the exp. and traing provided by me to get your cdl let me know 843 461 five eight nine nine tim

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

crowe in Sacramento, California

69 months ago

Does anyone know of a company that offers cdl paid training out of california? Im in sacramento all the ones I could find always say that you have to live n LA. I also need a company that will take me on with a misdemanor. Its a petty misdamenor though and its a year an a half old. I was considering C.R. England but have read to many bad things about them... i dont even want to touch them with a 10-foot pole so if anyone has any suggestions plz respond.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

drquinn18 in Marshall, Minnesota

69 months ago

Almost any company will accept you with a misdemeanor conviction but of course it will have to be several years old usually two yrs is what I am finding out. Stay away from CR England. Swift requires 10 years from date of conviction.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

crowe in Sacramento, California

69 months ago

well that doesnt help me.. i just got off da phone with c.r. england a few hours ago and they pay is BS!!! they told me $430 for the first 45 days or something like that and you dont even get a day off until 45 days after your training. Most companies ive found either say three or five years for a misdemeanor. The only other company I found that would take me is central but they declined me because of my misdemanor

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

poe tato in mount vernon, Illinois

69 months ago

hello, I have been talking with trucking compainies about thier cdl training programs for about 2 months now with no luck(not hiring trainiees).

I have a current cdl-a , but i have not driven a big truck in seven yrs now. So they tell me I have to go back to school.

I am hoping to find someone that might want to retrain me, hopefully close to Mount Vernon IL, but not required.

I have 6 months driving experince, but the company I chosse to go to work with left me sitting in West Virgina for four days over the thanksgiving day weekend after promissing me I would be home.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

alfredo torres in Orlando, Florida

68 months ago

I need training CDL class a

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

james blue in Louisville, Kentucky

68 months ago

Quinn in Woodstock, Minnesota said: I am thinking of going to CR England School in November any thoughts of that.

CR ENGLAND is nothing but a joke just got back from there and the pay aint worth
it ur make $300 the first 3-4 months and the only way u can drive company is team other
wise u got to lease a truck and they take a big lump out of your check each week screw
them there a JOKE!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

alfredo torres in Orlando, Florida

68 months ago

I have of authorization permission for CDL class A , I need of Paid training for license CDL class A and possible future work in you company thanks

Miguel in Orlando, Florida

68 months ago

I am looking some company that can paid me CDL training and I can emploeyme inmediately.

I have listen that it is a good idea.

Please help me I need a job. Now I am living in Orlando FL

Please e-mail me lopezmiguel32@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bluegene261@cox.net in Tulsa, Oklahoma

67 months ago

Why do companies want you to take a refresher course. I have not drove otr in 8 years but the company I work for now has me on there insurance and I have keep up my DOT physical. I am not a driver but I would think with 3yrs otr would be satisfactory. Don't drink and never have never got any kind of tickets of any kind always passed dot inspections was never late for pick-up or delivery. I know there are a lot of drivers out there that have had dui and other violations and still driving. Is this something we need to take up with our local Congressman. What ever happened to the EOE, I do believe this is Discrimnation and the trucking industry is getting away with it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

blueandsam in Louisville, Kentucky

67 months ago

Quinn in Woodstock, Minnesota said: I am thinking of going to CR England School in November any thoughts of that.

i am going to cr.england too this sunday 4/10/2009 ive heard alot of good things
about them and any company you go to u aint gonna make alot of money the first
couple of months

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

crowe in Sacramento, California said: Does anyone know of a company that offers cdl paid training out of california? Im in sacramento all the ones I could find always say that you have to live n LA. I also need a company that will take me on with a misdemanor. Its a petty misdamenor though and its a year an a half old. I was considering C.R. England but have read to many bad things about them... i dont even want to touch them with a 10-foot pole so if anyone has any suggestions plz respond.

hey man everybodys gonna say bad stuff about big companies i work for them and
they put me through there cdl training and now ive been there for 11 months and my pay was 375 aweek after taxes each week for the first 2 1/2 months and now i make about 790 aweek after taxes there a good companie you should try em out

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jamal Aim Omar in Palm Coast, Florida

66 months ago

I have no comment at this TIM.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Patty in Rockford, Illinois

66 months ago

blueandsam in Louisville, Kentucky said: hey man everybodys gonna say bad stuff about big companies i work for them and
they put me through there cdl training and now ive been there for 11 months and my pay was 375 aweek after taxes each week for the first 2 1/2 months and now i make about 790 aweek after taxes there a good companie you should try em out

You're lucky you're making good money wish everycompany was like that.So many drivers are sitting.What company are you driving for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

66 months ago

i drive for C.R.ENGLAND

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Patty in Rockford, Illinois

66 months ago

blueandsam in Louisville, Kentucky said: i drive for C.R.ENGLAND

CR ENGLAND and you're making that good of money?WOW,that's awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!How long you been driving for them?They have the worst rep.Wonder howcome if you're doing so well.Think it depends alot on the dispatchers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Fairfax, Virginia

66 months ago

How much does it usually cost to get training for CDL Class A and C? How long does it take to get the training needed to pass the test?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Aries5 in Lakeland, Florida

66 months ago

blueandsam in Louisville, Kentucky said: i drive for C.R.ENGLAND

then why did they leave me sitting at home after i came here for a wedding and they never called me back. now they want me to repay and go thru it again. i have a cdl a now why do that? they gave me my license and i can't come back. b/s. i was in a wedding and they knew ahead of time. i'm pissed about that. i was there for 4 months and this crap happens. my boy drives for them. he trained with me at the dallas school. but anyways good luck man and keep trucking!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lowdakota97@myway.com in Rossville, Illinois

65 months ago

I am a 50 year old man in illinios that is considering truck driving for a job.Im now a commercial roofer.I make good pay and good benifets but the job is very hard on the body and i dont want to do it any more.can anyone give me some idea of where to go and some of the companies to stay away from.I need a company that has cdl paid training.Never drove a truck before.have a clean driving record and a clean criminal record.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

drquinn18 in Saint Paul, Minnesota

65 months ago

I would go with anyone, thats right for you.

www.truckdrivertraining.com

They have a really good training program and several companies that hire from them.

Good Luck...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SCOTT CA in Rochester, Indiana

65 months ago

I have cdl permit,i don't want to go through a cdl mill like england,swift,werner etc to get cdl A ,does anyone know how i can get exp to get cdl?most companies need 3 months or more.i have pulled a 40' flatbed w/farm tractors to iowa,north carolina,vermont and tennesse with 1-ton dually in the last yr from indiana thanxs

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

drquinn18 in Saint Paul, Minnesota

65 months ago

A Community or Technical College is the absolute best way to get your CDL class A license.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

wife of a trucker in grants pass, Oregon

65 months ago

my husband went to cr england and he has been with his trainer for almost a month and he really likes it he likes driving for cr england if you work hard they wont scew you. only if you are lazy. good company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

matthew in Winter Park, Florida

65 months ago

are there any companies in orlando florida that are hiring and will pay for my cdl. i can find any companies that are hiring and i am not well informed on that companies are out their to look into. any help would be great.

omegaman in Knoxville, Tennessee

64 months ago

Hello,

I drove otr and had a semi local in state route out of FL.I drover for werner,Comcar ,National Freight,And star transportation.I drove for 2 years.The Comcar and Werner were the same home depot account.Werner took it over and screwed it up as only they can do.I was on that account for over a year out of the 2.

The National freight one was also in state dilvering GE appliances all over FL.I had to hand unload them with a dolly.As in Double stacked washers etc off the tail.I stood it about 6 months.

Last was Star Transportation out of Nashville.Not a bad company but insurance sucks I was home most weekends and drove monstly SE U.S.I was with them about 3 months when i had to come off the road because of a issue with my nephew need ing to live with us and he was a handful.

That was in 2003 or beginning of 4 I havent drove since then.Still have my class A with Double,Tanker and Hazmat.I want to get back out there and would like to be home 2-3 times a month.I now Live in Knoxville,TN

Where the heck can I find a company who will send me out with a trainer without having to goto another school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cooperlochert in Saint Louis, Missouri

64 months ago

i would not do the CR england deal i just came from there and they throw people out for the little things there was a guy with tape on his ss card and they accused him of defrauding a goverment issued id, there was another who had a state issued birth certificate from the state with a reciept from the state and it did not have his mothers name on it and they tossed him, there were 70 people in the class and they dropped 10 the first day and kept right on going they put you in crappy hotels and they have crappy food at the cafe in the building of which is only open M - T friday , sat, sun, you must find a ride to get something to eat . the recruiters do not return phone calls they lie about the hotel accomadations they lie about what you need to bring they sent a guy home because his recruiter that works for them did not tell him to bring food money or clothes he was there for 3 days with nothing and they would not help him they gave him a bus ticket home and the instructors are very rude and call people what ever they want and if theye are so good then why do they have all the repeat students who did not pass the first time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

hey if you cant handle it you shouldnt be there my husband went to school in may is on the road with his trainer and cr england is being very good to him you have to work hard and if you dont then you shouldnt be driving truck .

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

sorry to inform you not a waitress and been a retail manager for over 25 years and my husband was in construction for over 28yrs and he 50yrs old and works very hard dont know why you hate cr england so bad they have been very good to us so i dont know what you dont like about them unless you just couldnt make it with them!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

November in Massillon, Ohio

63 months ago

what are we teaching english here? Even worse is this the All Cr England site? I dont doubt that there are many praises and many Bitches about every program around what I want to know is more names of "Paid" or "contract" cdl companies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

November in Massillon, Ohio

63 months ago

Oh and sorry where ARE my manners to the girl who started this blog hun with a clean criminal record and driving record the WORLD of Trucking is YOUR oyster, Try Prime, or Driver solutions dot com. you would HAVE no choice but to plan to be away from home for at least 8 weeks to get started but from there wheather you honor your contract or breech it you can find what you seek and no worries about that contract as you can and will earn enough to pay the debt. also you can try Central Refridgerated they are a**holes but thats just my opinion and it stems from having been an a**hole myself if I had a clean history well Id bee happy with them, Maybe. Have fun and good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

wow whats with everyone we like CR ENGLAND DOES'T MEAN EVERYONE HAS TO. GOING ON TRUCK WITH HUSBAND AND I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO IT.MY HUSBAND ENJOYS HIS JOB AND YES HE HAS BEEN ON THE ROAD FOR THREE MONTHS AT A TIME BUT SO WHAT IF YOU LIKE YOUR JOB AND YOU DON'T HAVE KIDS AT HOME ANY AND YOU AND YOUR OTHER HALF ENJOYS BEING ON THE ROAD TOGETHER GO FOR IT. WELL THATS ENOUGH FROM ME I KNOW I WILL LOVE IT SO THATS ALL THAT MATTERS!!!! WIFE OF A TRUCKER

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Greg in Baltimore, Maryland

62 months ago

lowdakota97@myway.com in Rossville, Illinois said: I am a 50 year old man in illinios that is considering truck driving for a job.Im now a commercial roofer.I make good pay and good benifets but the job is very hard on the body and i dont want to do it any more.can anyone give me some idea of where to go and some of the companies to stay away from.I need a company that has cdl paid training.Never drove a truck before.have a clean driving record and a clean criminal record.

Hi, wondering what you decided to do? I'm also approaching 50 and thinking about driving. Greg

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

ASANAlex in Riverview, Florida

61 months ago

I've recently been looking into getting paid CDL training. Unfortunately for whatever reason Florida seems to be the worst place on earth for that very thing. I talked with a couple of the schools around here, and they all want $4-$6.5k for the training, which I just don't have, I would love to get in with CR England, or Schneider because they have paid training or something close to it, but there's nothing in Tampa. I have a clean background, and I meet all the qualifications(age, DOT req's, etc.), I just need to find a company who is either based somewhere close(within a state or two) or a company who can put me up for as long as the training takes or until they start paying. Anyone have any advice, or know of any companies this far south that offer paid training? email me if you've got any good advice, but no scammin' please, and I don't need any links to another truck driving school that wants money up-front. I am looking Strictly for paid training.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

lastonestanding in Williamston, North Carolina

60 months ago

Id like to know if anyone knows a trucking company in north carolina with paid cld training.I have my class A permit but no on the road experience.If not NC i need some place that wont make me start from the beginning i need to get to work soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rmrider689

59 months ago

Any advice for a 43 year old about to under go training. I have my class A license already but I do not have any driving experience. What would be the best company to work for out of Minnesota?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sassy in Buckhannon, West Virginia

58 months ago

Can anyone tell me a company that would hire a husband/wife team with the wife having a permit? I used to have a CDL but came off the road about 7 years ago and last year gave it up, then got married, my husband has been driving for over 20 years. We want to team and are trying to find a company that would allow him to train me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Amber in Knoxville, Tennessee

58 months ago

I have been tryiny to get my CDL training started for over a year now. I have been granted a $1500 WIA voucher and roadmaster told me they would take that and finance the rest through a company I would drive for. So I put in my notice at work. Now I was just informed today that now I will need another $1000 or a cosigner. Unfortunately I don't have either one. Schneider is only accepting experienced drivers right now.
I am in Tennesee so does ANYONE know of any company that is doing any paid training right now?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.