Hard to find company paid CDL training and be home 3 or 4 weekends a month?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 146 of 146)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

Darrell in Santa Barbara, California

52 months ago

I am scheduled to attend CR England's "Zero Tuition" Refresher Class, however, I know that if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is too good to be true. On their website, CRE's refresher class usually costs $1,495, and a motel in California costs, say $60 a nite. So the 10-day refresher class (with weekends) at the motel could run another $900 bucks. My recruiter states there are no chargebacks, hidden charges, or financing agreements for the refresher class, with the exception of the $100 application fee and $35 for physical. Does anyone know what happens if CRE does not, for whatever the reason, end up hiring you? Do they come back at you for the above $2,500 in costs for the "ZERO TUITION" refresher class? If they do, that's not really "ZERO TUITION" is it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

lolaylor88 in Mount Laurel, New Jersey

51 months ago

As the battle of transportation funds go on, there is a lot of drivers in need of jobs. Its hard finding places where there are <a href="truckingpartners.com/">Drivers wanted</a>. Fortunately some companies assist in finding trucking jobs, for example, Trucking Partners.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lawtrux in Arlington, Texas

51 months ago

CR England had great training in Cedar Hill Texas where I went, but the company as a whole to work for. NOT!!! They find more ways to screw you out of and screw around with your pay. The one drivers that I saw making the money were phase 1 trainers. Alot of times your trainer may only have 2 weeks more training than you. Learn together they say. They are willing to gamble with lives to save a buck. Rude dispatcher. Check out Schneider,Swift and Werner and for flatbed Maverick. Be Safe!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

outlaw6473

51 months ago

bluegene261@cox.net in Tulsa, Oklahoma said: Why do companies want you to take a refresher course. I have not drove otr in 8 years but the company I work for now has me on there insurance and I have keep up my DOT physical. I am not a driver but I would think with 3yrs otr would be satisfactory. Don't drink and never have never got any kind of tickets of any kind always passed dot inspections was never late for pick-up or delivery. I know there are a lot of drivers out there that have had dui and other violations and still driving. Is this something we need to take up with our local Congressman. What ever happened to the EOE, I do believe this is Discrimnation and the trucking industry is getting away with it.

----My husband has over 8 year experience but hasn't drove OTR in 7. He drives a 10 speed tri-axle dumptruck where he works now. He stopped OTR to be with his daughters, but now they are grown. But all we can find out is that he has to go through the actual school again, without the tests, in order to qualify to work with the majority of companies we've looked at (whick is alot). All he has in his pocket is a piece of plastic that doesn't account for the school he already went through once or his experience, no matter how long ago. No tickets, violations, or felonies. His MVR is totally clean. Why can't they offer him something less than 6k to just get updated since that what the companies want? So, we understand the frustration. It's not right and there need to be some changes made in our favor...Sorry for the long story...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sean C in Bensalem, Pennsylvania

50 months ago

Quinn in Woodstock, Minnesota said: I am thinking of going to CR England School in November any thoughts of that.

DO NOT GO!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

pootie tang in Atlanta, Georgia

50 months ago

jessica051182 in martinsburg, West Virginia said: Okay, I have a little situation, and cannot seem to find an appropriate answer. Hopefully you can all help:)

I am a daddys girl(he drives a truck) and I have considered the career many times before, as far as actually going to get my CDL learners and getting enrolled in the school.

I am interested in going with a company that offers the CDL training themselves(1 yr contract to repay, i know)but here is my CATCH. I want a truck driving job where I am home 3-4 weekends a month. I know it sounds far fetched, but my father works for Star Transport out of Morton Ill and he is home 3 weekends a month, would be for 4, but he just stays in a hotel a few hours away from home for that 4th weekend. But Star only offers CDL training to IL residents only.

So I know I can find a company who would, but I have no idea where to look.

My second CATCH would be that I have a child that lives here in the WV/MD area and I would have to be here in this area every other weekend. But I am planning on moving to NC next month, so would need to be in NC the other 1 or 2 weekends so I can spend time with my husband and our child.

If I cant find a company that would atleast TRY and accomodate me, then I wouldnt drive, simple as that. my family is way more important to me.

I know these may seem unreasonable, but I thought I would try. My father has driven a truck for MANY years, and said it isnt impossible, I only have to search for it.

Any ideas from anyone??
Thanks!

I live in WV and

sage

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Harvey in Nashville, Tennessee

50 months ago

To anyone who can't find a trucking m Harmon .Trucking co. in St. Louis Mo a small trucking co private own no benfits but its a job until you can get back with a company

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Frank B in Ridgeland, South Carolina

50 months ago

I am liking CR England with the exception, I just got out of school, got my cdl A and cannot find a job, they will hire me, but I have to do 10 day school, why, I just graduated, less than a week ago. I do have some things on my record, one ticket in the past three years, these trucking co. are fudged, I cannot wait to open up my own trucking co., as are my intentions, and all of you folks out there whining,can come and see me in 10 yrs. because I will have a min. of 10 trucks on the road, if not more. Watch out big Co. I am going to be the next one on your watch list taking your loads with all of these out of work drivers!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

eastcoastdriver in Hancock, Maryland

49 months ago

Quinn in Woodstock, Minnesota said: I am thinking of going to CR England School in November any thoughts of that.

dont go to cr england

patriciajnsn in Sioux City, Iowa

49 months ago

eastcoastdriver in Hancock, Maryland said: dont go to cr england
Have you done your homework with Cr england?You're going to either lease with them or they'll find a way to fire you.But then again they have a way of getting the drivers to lease.I would highly suggest talking to other drivers before you do something you may regret.You do know if you attend their school,you're going to have to sign a yr contract don't you?

49 months ago

Harvey in Nashville, Tennessee said: To anyone who can't find a trucking m Harmon .Trucking co. in St. Louis Mo a small trucking co private own no benfits but its a job until you can get back with a company
ok so what are'nt you telling us about this company besides they have no benefits?

eastcoastdriver in Hancock, Maryland

49 months ago

they freaking suck the only thing good about them is you get your cdls in 2 weeks

Orobouros in San Diego, California

49 months ago

Another option to consider is going to one of your local One-Stop Career Centers. They have government WIA money, and can help you get training paid for ata reputable school (to receive federal funding they must meet certain criteria). Check it out, it's got to be better than the company-paid training thing..which was how I originally got my CDL-A. Fortunately, I was able to get a better job than most companies are offering. But if attaining your CDLK is your dream, don't give up.
Here's a link that might help:
www.rescare.com/one-stop-services.php
Good Luck this New Year...

Chester

48 months ago

Anyone out there that wants to get a CDL in Texas there is a great place in Weatherford that will assist you in getting your CDL. I know there are a lot of friends of mine that has used their service and are working in the oil field or knows someone they can drive with until they have the experience required by a company. Their name is CDL Rental, www.cdlrentaltx.com is their website. If you want a CDL and can't afford an expensive school or be away from home for extended periods of time this company can help. They put safety first because the used to be on the road.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

William in Bel Air, Maryland

48 months ago

Jesse in Gaithersburg, Maryland said: I have my cdl learner permit and need to find someone to train me on the truck so that i can get my cdl permit can anyone help me. that know a company that will train me . I have not work in over 7 months now...

Try Drive-Rite in Glen Burnie.

William

favoriteclash in Lincoln, Illinois

48 months ago

jessica051182 in martinsburg, West Virginia said: Okay, I have a little situation, and cannot seem to find an appropriate answer. Hopefully you can all help:)

I am a daddys girl(he drives a truck) and I have considered the career many times before, as far as actually going to get my CDL learners and getting enrolled in the school.

I am interested in going with a company that offers the CDL training themselves(1 yr contract to repay, i know)but here is my CATCH. I want a truck driving job where I am home 3-4 weekends a month. I know it sounds far fetched, but my father works for Star Transport out of Morton Ill and he is home 3 weekends a month, would be for 4, but he just stays in a hotel a few hours away from home for that 4th weekend. But Star only offers CDL training to IL residents only.

My second CATCH would be that I have a child that lives here in the WV/MD area and I would have to be here in this area every other weekend. But I am planning on moving to NC next month, so would need to be in NC the other 1 or 2 weekends so I can spend time with my husband and our child.

If I cant find a company that would atleast TRY and accomodate me, then I wouldnt drive, simple as that. my family is way more important to me.

I know these may seem unreasonable, but I thought I would try. My father has driven a truck for MANY years, and said it isnt impossible, I only have to search for it.

Any ideas from anyone??
Thanks!

I live in WV and

You could try Maverick. They train and get you home every weekend. KLLM is the same as Werner, where I think you need to have attended a school already then they'l do the reimbursement, and then they get you home weekends on certain accounts. Roehl, US express, and Knight transport are companies that train and get you home every wknd on certain accounts. Hope that helps. Good luck

48 months ago

Jessica must have this post copied,I have read the same exact post on different forums.Look Jessica if u wanna drive trk and very serious about it then u need to tough it out and stay out at least a month not get home every weekend.

tina in Austin, Texas

45 months ago

wife of a trucker in grants pass, Oregon said: hey if you cant handle it you shouldnt be there my husband went to school in may is on the road with his trainer and cr england is being very good to him you have to work hard and if you dont then you shouldnt be driving truck .

Maybe he just wanted to get away from you and all the yapping kids!

c in Wentzville, Missouri

44 months ago

Sassy in Buckhannon, West Virginia said: CRST will train you but they only have teams I think so they will pair you up with someone.

CRST seems to be a bad company. Husband was there and NEVER got any hours.. Just sat around in a hotel..

gregcr in Austin, Texas

44 months ago

crengland will train u and u pay back little by little while u drive for them about 6 months

howard in Atlanta, Georgia

44 months ago

peace, are there any companies out there that will hire a felon?

lucas in Anniston, Alabama

42 months ago

go to mid-florida if ur in florida

luci in Greenbrier, Arkansas

41 months ago

My husband is an OTR for a large trucking company. He is not getting paid for his last delivery and driving more than 100 miles to his home yard to come home for 2 days. His dispatcher says they don't have to pay him because he is coming home. I thought you got paid for every mile you drove a company truck...whether loaded or unloaded. This is the 2nd time this trucking company has not paid him.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Driver in Mendota, Illinois

38 months ago

Kathy in Fairfax, Virginia said: How much does it usually cost to get training for CDL Class A and C? How long does it take to get the training needed to pass the test?

At 160 Driving Academy it only takes 4 weeks and you get tested right there at the school. They have financing available and they do job placement too.
See www.160drivingacademy.com

Driver in Mendota, Illinois

38 months ago

ron3516p in Woodstock, Illinois said: Thanks for the info,you have been very helpful. I also am(or was) in the trades and am looking for a new career. I have looked at cr england and was thinking of applying to them. I also agree with you that you must work hard and have a positive attitude. Thank you again...........Ron

Why go to a company just for the training when there are schools such as 160 Driving Academy in Morton Il that offers financing to cover your tuition and then you can choose any company to work for? Most companys do tuition reimbursemt too.... www.160drivingacademy.com

herv in Greensboro, North Carolina

38 months ago

luci in Greenbrier, Arkansas said: My husband is an OTR for a large trucking company. He is not getting paid for his last delivery and driving more than 100 miles to his home yard to come home for 2 days. His dispatcher says they don't have to pay him because he is coming home. I thought you got paid for every mile you drove a company truck...whether loaded or unloaded. This is the 2nd time this trucking company has not paid him.

Question: Is this abnormal? Is trucking company wrong?
Short Answer: No

Breakdown.....

Luci it all depends on the trucking company. Some will pay for ALL miles but most don't. Some will pay for miles going home and most don't. Most will make the driver understand from the beginning that they don't pay for them to go home and some don't. Some might simply assume that it is understood. Think about it, they are already burning fuel to go home, to pay on top of that unless they are under a load is asking a lot.

Consider this, some trucking companies won't even let you drive the truck home. In this case he would have to drive a personal vehicle 100 miles and leave it there or you would have to pick him up. That means burning your gas and time up.

So that is another way to look at this.

I always tell drivers to find a trucking company with a terminal as close to home as possible and that may be you case to help eliminate this problem.

Another alternative is for your husband to ask the dispatcher to arrange for him to get home while enroute to deliver or under a load so that it will be paid. The issue here is that some trucking companies will allow the driver to go home under a load and some will not.

So the next thing is.....if he changes company again, find out before hand if they will pay him to go home. Depending on where you live and the quality of trucking company that you are dealing with, you may or may not find what you are looking for.

Lance in Grovetown, Georgia

30 months ago

I am a vet that is interested in truck driving and going to a paid training cdl school using by GI Bill but I am wondering which school is the best one to choose that accepts va benefits so I don't have to pay and how long does it take for you to get paid when you join the school. I want to make this a career.

its610time in Goldsboro, North Carolina

30 months ago

Hello, I am 21 year old. My dream has been to drive trucks. Now that I'm old enough I want to pursue it. however I do not have the funds at the moment to go to college for it. would anyone be interested in training me or heading me to a company that will?

thank you. you may email me. its610time@gmail.com

shakur856 in Camden, New Jersey

30 months ago

Hello all, im looking to get in the trucking field. I have a 6 year old felony convivtion. Does anybody no what trucking school would enroll me. Im willing to travel dont really have family nor children, so i can bounce whenever. Just need to get in a school. PLEASE HELP!!!!

will in Wilmington, Delaware

28 months ago

Frank B in Ridgeland, South Carolina said: I am liking CR England with the exception, I just got out of school, got my cdl A and cannot find a job, they will hire me, but I have to do 10 day school, why, I just graduated, less than a week ago. I do have some things on my record, one ticket in the past three years, these trucking co. are fudged, I cannot wait to open up my own trucking co., as are my intentions, and all of you folks out there whining,can come and see me in 10 yrs. because I will have a min. of 10 trucks on the road, if not more. Watch out big Co. I am going to be the next one on your watch list taking your loads with all of these out of work drivers !!!

So how did that go? How many trucks on the road?

Bernard in Temple Hills, Maryland

27 months ago

timone in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina said: i know how it is now. been there before, its hard. but if you wannnt ot get your training and cdl license i have a proposal for you. I have a class a cdl w? / hazmat, no luck in getting a driving in a long time, but i found a company that will pay 44 cent a mile ( 5000 to 7000 dollors a month) but i need a partner to do this. its a 24 foot truck with a sleeper 3wks out 1 wk in. if you want the exp. and traing provided by me to get your cdl let me know 843 461 five eight nine nine tim

Is this company still hiring and also do you know of anyone else who needs a partner soon I just got out of cdl school and I need the otr experience I dont care about the time out email me bgenesis01@yahoo.com If you know of anyone

james1968 in Michie, Tennessee

27 months ago

timone in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina said: i know how it is now. been there before, its hard. but if you wannnt ot get your training and cdl license i have a proposal for you. I have a class a cdl w? / hazmat, no luck in getting a driving in a long time, but i found a company that will pay 44 cent a mile ( 5000 to 7000 dollors a month) but i need a partner to do this. its a 24 foot truck with a sleeper 3wks out 1 wk in. if you want the exp. and traing provided by me to get your cdl let me know 843 461 five eight nine nine tim

wherer are you from interested

Henry in Roswell, Georgia

18 months ago

Is there any place were you can get a free CDL or sponsored in Atlanta with out having to go over the road for training?

BigD in Sarasota, Florida

15 months ago

ASANAlex in Riverview, Florida said: I've recently been looking into getting paid CDL training. Unfortunately for whatever reason Florida seems to be the worst place on earth for that very thing. I talked with a couple of the schools around here, and they all want $4-$6.5k for the training, which I just don't have, I would love to get in with CR England, or Schneider because they have paid training or something close to it, but there's nothing in Tampa. I have a clean background, and I meet all the qualifications(age, DOT req's, etc.), I just need to find a company who is either based somewhere close(within a state or two) or a company who can put me up for as long as the training takes or until they start paying. Anyone have any advice, or know of any companies this far south that offer paid training? email me if you've got any good advice, but no scammin' please, and I don't need any links to another truck driving school that wants money up-front. I am looking Strictly for paid training.

CRST has a program you might be interested in

jcox964 in Houston, Texas

15 months ago

Jesse in Gaithersburg, Maryland said: I have my cdl learner permit and need to find someone to train me on the truck so that i can get my cdl permit can anyone help me. that know a company that will train me . I have not work in over 7 months now...
Conway, FedEx & several other companies are continuously posting positions either titled Driver Trainee or Driver Apprentice. Go to conways, fedex freight,,self (southeastern freight) & several other webs to see posted positions. They only require a permit. They offer I house training.

cw43205 in Columbus, Ohio

15 months ago

Absolutely nobody wants to come out of pocket for training. If the trucking co u want to work for is on "the hook" for the cost of your training your chances of getting a crappy job (that u will hate) are much greater if u train on their dime. If youre looking to get into a situation that's almost forced slavery then go with a company where u have to pay nothing. But keep in mind trucking companies have plenty of ways to screw with drivers pay. So if u made $800 per week they might take $150-200 (after tax) & leave u with 250~400 a week. Only the runs/miles u get can vary greatly for any number of reasons. So if u have a bad week of $300 & they take $150 (that no money down trucking school FEE) after tax U might get a $28 paycheck. Where if u paid 100% of your training u might get with a company that pays MORE per mile & treats u better. So u might come home with $1000 per week & drive top equipment instead of coming home with $200-300. Also try eating 3 good meals a day at your closest truck stop & write down what that costs & multiply that times 28 or 56 or how ever many weeks your "out" over the road:). Theres no such thing as a free lunch. I know Im a lot happier putting needles in patients arms than I was shifting every 3~8 mph :)

cw43205 in Columbus, Ohio

15 months ago

shakur856 in Camden, New Jersey said: Hello all, im looking to get in the trucking field. I have a 6 year old felony convivtion. Does anybody no what trucking school would enroll me. Im willing to travel dont really have family nor children , so i can bounce whenever. Just need to get in a school. PLEASE HELP!!!!

US Xpress loves felons (with a clean driving record).

15 months ago

Shakur856 you're willing to travel are you also willing to take whatever company that will hire you? I do know of one company that does take ppl with felonies but the pay is bad.While in training you'll receive 10 cpm and the company will ecspect you to work hard for it.They have forced long haul dispatch.It is one of the bottom of the barrel bottom feeder companies but if this is what you truly wanna do and can't get hired with many other companies you'll have to settle for what you can get.Try Carolina cargo.Just google the company,they do have a website.

starr in Columbus, Mississippi

12 months ago

Hi, I myself am going to get my cdl license and do not have the money to pay for it upfront. I am going through a school where two trucking companies sponsor the school, but you have to sign a year contract stating you will work a year with them, and your school will be paid. The first 6 months of OTR will be for me team driving, then I will go solo. I am going to tell you just about ANYWHERE you go to get started, you will pretty much have to team drive at first. Not all but most. But for experienced drivers, oh gosh, I saw where tons of companies were hiring experienced drivers, you just have to sit down and have tons of time to go through all the companies. I looked for days and days, I never knew about some of the companies that are out there. But as far as going through a school, to get experience I am telling you , you are never going to be home 3-4 weekends a month. I hate to say that but I stayed up night after night talking to company after company. so if you sign up with a school like I did, the school was 6000. but nothing upfront, I sign a year contract with this trucking company and 6 month team driving at first and then solo, if I stay within contract, my schooling is paid, if I break it, then I have to pay remainder. And their are tons of companies that are doing this right now, believe me they are calling me. but you gotta be careful. I learned these recruiters are sometimes sharks. good luck

12 months ago

Darrell in Santa Barbara, California said: I am scheduled to attend CR England's "Zero Tuition" Refresher Class, however, I know that if something sounds too good to be true, it usually is too good to be true. On their website, CRE's refresher class usually costs $1,495, and a motel in California costs, say $60 a nite. So the 10-day refresher class (with weekends) at the motel could run another $900 bucks. My recruiter states there are no chargebacks, hidden charges, or financing agreements for the refresher class, with the exception of the $100 application fee and $35 for physical. Does anyone know what happens if CRE does not, for whatever the reason, end up hiring you? Do they come back at you for the above $2,500 in costs for the "ZERO TUITION" refresher class? If they do, that's not really "ZERO TUITION" is it?

I usu

12 months ago

I usually do not do this but DARRELL, email me please starrhamilton43@gmail.com YOU WILL want to hear what I have to say :)

12 months ago

BigD in Sarasota, Florida said: CRST has a program you might be interested in

Hi, after reading your post, I am in kind of similar circumstances. I will throw something out there to you because this is what im doing. You just have to literally call these recuiters, and I am telling you if you think that they are your friend , please do not. LOL Its really sad it really is, which its their job to make money necessary, but anyways I live in Mississippi, but I am going to little rock Arkansas, and I take the CDL and they just charge me a 29 $ transfer fee, you do not have to stay there. and some will pay for your flight, trip, whatever. you just have to call around. But make a list, look on line, I could tell you what I had to ask, you gotta be detailed or they will screw you. Sit down and write a question list, ask about hidden fees, get it in writing, I did, ask definites about what the training pay will be, blah blah, and then you look at all the ones and decide. I never knew how many trucking companies that have CDL programs until I started looking them up, it will take time and patience on the computer and phone, but it will be worth it. Anyways, hope this helped you a bit.
Good luck

noni in Baltimore, Maryland

11 months ago

Swift will train you just apply online

Roland Smalls in Griffin, Georgia

11 months ago

Chad Nelson in Orlando, Florida said: i need to find somebody withh a truck that would be willing to rent so ican get my cdl .I already have the permit and cant afford those expensive truck driving schools. I have a place that will do it for $175 but i need the truck.

Hey try a refresher course I had the same problem it's a class for cdl drivers that haven't drove in a while I paid 300-350 for a 3 day course they let you use their truck on test

Ryan G in Hanover Park, Illinois

10 months ago

I am interested in going with a company that offers the CDL training themselves(1 yr contract to repay, i know)but here is my CATCH. I want a truck driving job where I am home 3-4 weekends a month. I know it soundsr fetched, but my father works for Star Transport out of Morton Ill and he is home 3 weekends a month, would be for 4, but he just stays in a hotel a few hours away from home for that 4th weekend. But Star only offers CDL training to IL residents only.

Any ideas from anyone??
Thanks!

I live in WV and

Ryan G in Hanover Park, Illinois

10 months ago

so does your father work for star transport in Morton Grove Illinois I'm little confused with what city you think your father works at in the state of Illinois you just put in Morton can you be a little bit more specific go ahead and email me back and let me know or you could tell me. there's a few companies that I heard of that might let you do that because you have a child and a husband it varies from time to time you have to understand what your truck driver there's no such thing as family time that's what I've been told and I have 2 kids

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.