Realities of Trucking

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Herv in Greensboro, North Carolina

16 months ago

I see so much pain from people who become drivers not knowing what to expect, so I wanted to leave this information to help those who are on the fence. Make sure you are compatible before becoming a trucker. Here are some things you should consider.

Starting pay is more like $25,000-$35,000 the 1st year.

You will likely not find a job to get you home every weekend. Usually you will be out for 2 to 3 weeks at a time. Depends largely on where you live. Same for local.

If you have used drugs, you should not try to become a trucker until you are sure it is out of your system and you should not use again. it will ruin your career.

As a trucker you can not go home at will.

If you have 1 felony or DUI that is over 5 years old it is possible to get a trucking job. It won't be easy, but it is possible. Especially if you have been employed between then and now.

The cost of trucking school is usually between $3,000 and $8,000 dollars. Community college may be the best value for most.

Company sponsored or free training is available at some trucking companies. This is a good choice for some. If you do go this route, make sure you understand the terms. Usually you will sign a contract to work for the company for a year or more in exchange for the 'free training'.

Try to fulfill your contract. If you decide to leave DO NOT take it upon yourself to drive the truck to a terminal and leave it. DO NOT leave it parked any where else and get a ride home. It will ruin your trucking career. Abandonment will be on your record.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Driver2013 in Kodak, Tennessee

15 months ago

I was a Driver here and there; starting in around 2000 to present, I have mounted around 5 years of experience. I let my cdl expire about 3 years ago and obtained a regular class d license and during that time I did something incredibly stupid and got a DUI which is now soon to be 2 years old. Since I did not have my cdl at the time and was driving on regular license in regular non commercial vehicle, would I have a shot getting a job at one of these "work for us we will pay for your licensure outfits?" If anyone KNOWS I would greatly appreciate the info. (Please no critics on my mistake/behavior; I am WELL aware what I did was WRONG and STUPID) However, I still need to support my family.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.