Women Truck Drivers....

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Cal911 in Anaheim, California

45 months ago

Poor choice, dogs life, no monies in being a company driver, trust me, don't even think of working for Knight Transport, all mormans and if you're not a morman, you're GONE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Chuck

42 months ago

sherri in Modesto, California said: I've a stay at home Mom most of my life, Now the kids are grown and I am single.I'm starting Western Pacific Truck School. I have no work history, but an exellent driving record. And I'm looking forward to seeing the country. Do you think this is a good move for me, also will any Co. hire me with no experience

Ive been an otr driver for many years. Well before it was common place to see a women behind the wheel of a truck. My Ex-wife and I drove teams for a company in those days that ran east to west and back again. The looks she got from people was of surprise from most, to she this chick behind the wheel of a large truck. Wasn't that bad in Ca. but other areas was horrible stairs.
I would strongly recommend that you consider a differant line of work other than otr truck driving. First off, these big companies will take advange of a women driver. Have her do work that they wouldnt have a male driver do. The first time you refuse to run over hours in your log they will black ball you and evenually get shed of you with a bad mark on your DAK record. Then you will never get another driving job again with any company.

For myself, I am an owner operator with my own authority. I use verious brokers to get my loads. I stay away from those brokers that are subs of large companies like JBHunt ect.. I stick to those that only provide brokerage services to owner ops. I favor Total Quality Logistics as they are a large freight broker only. Get my settlement for the load within a couple days after I fax them the bills.

Trucking in todays times is horrible for most company drivers. First off, you will not have a life at all as you know it right now. All your time will be dedicated to what company you get hired to drive for. Taking up house in a box on wheels is not pleasure at all. Site seeing is going to be limited to that staggered line in the center of the lane your rollin on.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chuck

42 months ago

Cal911 in Anaheim, California said: Poor choice, dogs life, no monies in being a company driver, trust me, don't even think of working for Knight Transport, all mormans and if you're not a morman, you're GONE.

Yes, I agree!!!
But there isnt much money as an owner operator as well, consider the fuel prices.
I ran from Eastern Ohio with 2 stops. First stop in Olney, IL. Wal-Mart DC where they treat Owner Ops like crap. First thing they want is $50.00 to pull off a straight pull-off with no break down of the product. That means they go in your trailer lift the skid up and wheel it out of the trailer and set it down.
I refused to pay them and told them Ill take it off myself. They didnt like it at all so they had me set for hours past my appointment holding me up before they decided to go ahead and pull it off there selfs. Then they go on about how they done me a big favor. It only took 15 min. to do this and was willing and ready to do it myself.
They saw the price on my bill of $900.00 to deliver and they didnt like that as they have this idea I get to pocket all that. What they dont see is what all I spent on fuel to get there product to them. I spent over $600.00 just in fuel to complete the run.
Im spinning my wheels here and once my plates expire I will find another line of work and park my truck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mike Baskin in Royal Oak, Michigan

13 months ago

Chuck said: Ive been an otr driver for many years. Well before it was common place to see a women behind the wheel of a truck. My Ex-wife and I drove teams for a company in those days that ran east to west and back again. The looks she got from people was of surprise from most, to she this chick behind the wheel of a large truck. Wasn't that bad in Ca. but other areas was horrible stairs.
I would strongly recommend that you consider a differant line of work other than otr truck driving. First off, these big companies will take advange of a women driver. Have her do work that they wouldnt have a male driver do. <a href="apexdrivers.com">driver recruiting</a> The first time you refuse to run over hours in your log they will black ball you and evenually get shed of you with a bad mark on your DAK record. Then you will never get another driving job again with any company.

For myself, I am an owner operator with my own authority. I use verious brokers to get my loads. I stay away from those brokers that are subs of large companies like JBHunt ect.. I stick to those that only provide brokerage services to owner ops. I favor Total Quality Logistics as they are a large freight broker only. Get my settlement for the load within a couple days after I fax them the bills.

Trucking in todays times is horrible for most company drivers . First off, you will not have a life at all as you know it right now. All your time will be dedicated to what company you get hired to drive for. Taking up house in a box on wheels is not pleasure at all. Site seeing is going to be limited to that staggered line in the center of the lane your rollin on.

I could not have said it better

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mike Baskin in Royal Oak, Michigan

13 months ago

Cal911 in Anaheim, California said: Poor choice, dogs life, no monies in being a company driver , trust me, don't even think of working for Knight Transport, all <a href="apexdrivers.com">driver recruiting</a> are mormans and if you're not a morman, you're GONE.

I can add a few more to the list, JB Hunt, Swift, Snider...all the same

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.