failed drug test for trucking company in 2004

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 96)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

maria in Smithville, Tennessee

72 months ago

my husband failed a drug test in 2004 for marijuana at a company he drove for. he has been driving for small companies ever since. now he is trying to work for big trucking companies, but he has been turned down because of the drug test he failed 4 years ago. what can he do about this showing up on his record. also, is it true that you DAC record isnt suppose to show test results after 3 years?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (52) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Ex-Trucker in Saint Louis, Missouri

72 months ago

I believe DAC does not report drug-related after 3 years.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

afb3 in Houston, Texas

71 months ago

i failed a drug test to and i can tell u after 4 years it does show on dac i also did alll the requirments and have been clean from drugs and alchol in 4 years and its a pain in the trucking industry

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Sheri in Sacramento, California

71 months ago

afb3 in Houston, Texas said: i failed a drug test to and i can tell u after 4 years it does show on dac i also did alll the requirments and have been clean from drugs and alchol in 4 years and its a pain in the trucking industry

I too failed a drug test when I was planning on going to Swift trucking school. I had quit a month earlier but it was still in my system. Now it's on my DAC record stating I was a driver that failed the pre-hire drug test. I am currently in another trucking school and still drug free. Am I going to be able to get a job??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

james in Gaffney, South Carolina

71 months ago

I am thinking of starting truck driving school soon and was wondering how speeding tickets( 10 or less miles over the limit) will affect my chances of employment when I am finished with school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sheri in Sacramento, California

71 months ago

james in Gaffney, South Carolina said: I am thinking of starting truck driving school soon and was wondering how speeding tickets( 10 or less miles over the limit) will affect my chances of employment when I am finished with school.

Each trucking company will have it’s own rules about acceptable driving and/or criminal records for employment. As a result of this, schools will usually review your driving record and background history to see if there are any problems that would prevent (or make it difficult) to secure a job, and/or obtain your Commercial Driver’s License. The main issues are any violations that involve driving and drugs/alcohol, excessive speeding, reckless driving, accidents, and felony and misdemeanor convictions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

crazyrussian

70 months ago

My inquiry is this. As I understand, most drug tests are urine tests. In what cases test done via hair or blood????????

I was working for a trucking co (LOCAL 9 to 5)and was tested 5 times in two years period. They were urine tests. RANDOM. The way it was done is, you come back to yard from one of your runs and they give you notice, that you been "randomly" selected, so they give you 30 min to get to testing place, which was 5 miles away. When at testing place, you had to empty your pockets and go to the room, ALONE!, and pee in the cup..... I like to party on weekends and sometimes, when really drunk, I like to "powder my nose" if you know what I mean. The way I got around these tests is, I always had a "belt with a pouch filled with synthetic urine" in my lunch bag and put it on, on the way to test site.....
Now I am looking for an OTR job and interested to know, what are procedures in these BIG OTR companies. I mean, would I be able to do the same trick, if I'll always have my "belt" with me. And how are the test sites? I heard that at some testing facilities they actually WATCH YOU PEE in the cup?!?!
Can you please share your drug testing experiences with me?! I would really appreciate it.
P.S. I just want to mention that, SAFTY is my #1 priority and I NEVER DID or would DO drugs on duty!!! It's just a rare ocasional weekend recreation activity.... also...does anyone knows, how long coke stays in your system.
Thanks....Keep On Truckin' !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

SAA0375

69 months ago

My last company I drove for, Arrow lied and put a failed drug test on me. Why is it that trucking companys will hire someone with a felony and DWI but have a problem with a failed test. What you do at home shoule be your business as long as you don't take it on the road with you. Why do they bring up taking a S.A.P program if they won't deal with anybody that has failed a drug test? It doesn't make any sense. I'm willing to pay for the insurance and take a weekly drug test out of my own pocket in order to make a living.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sweet p express in Tyler, Texas

69 months ago

Sheri in Sacramento, California said: I too failed a drug test when I was planning on going to Swift trucking school. I had quit a month earlier but it was still in my system. Now it's on my DAC record stating I was a driver that failed the pre-hire drug test. I am currently in another trucking school and still drug free. Am I going to be able to get a job??

It's goning to be hard if it's on your DAC report because most large carriers will check your DAC before they hire you. I am a contractor with swift and have been there 8 yrs.I have spoke withh other drivers who have been sent home from school after their DAC is recieved. GOOD LUCK.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Butch in the boro in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

69 months ago

Only thing I can apply to these conversations.
I'm not an attorney by any means.
Try & pick up a book titled: Federal Motor Carrier, Safety Regulations.
I completed one of those over priced CDL driving schools.
Someone at that school should have told you wheither or not you will be able to get an OTR driving job with a non passing drug screen at either times.
Last I do though recall if you do not pass a drug screen test it could be on your record most or all of your life. But I might be wrong!
I suggest you check into it before you sign a lenghtly payment plan for any CDL school that you may not get anything from but a monthly bill.
CDL drug screens are federal, not just local or state governed.
It's up to you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sheri in Citrus Heights, California

69 months ago

I have since filed a dispute with the USIS in regards to my DAC record. I have a response waiting for me via mail and will pick it up on Saturday. I will let those that have the same dilemma know what the out come is.

69 months ago

Ex-Trucker in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I believe DAC does not report drug-related after 3 years.

I have called some trucking companys that state they will not hire someone that has failed a drug test for 3 to 5 years and some say they will never hire someone that has failed. If DAC stops reporting on it after 3 years then how would these companys know after that 3 year mark?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Sheri in Sacramento, California said: I too failed a drug test when I was planning on going to Swift trucking school. I had quit a month earlier but it was still in my system. Now it's on my DAC record stating I was a driver that failed the pre-hire drug test. I am currently in another trucking school and still drug free. Am I going to be able to get a job??

I am almost at the end of my trucking school and am now starting the job search. So far me being honest with the recruiters has gotten me nothing but a bunch of "no" as far as being hired so now I am trying a new approach by not telling them. I am not going to try to get on with the bigger companies but instead am looking around my area for the smaller ones that may not check for a DAC record. Will let you know how it goes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Have yo tried, Western Express Transportation?
Head quarters in Nashville, TN.
Ask your school rep about them.
I know, use to, a few years ago, they hired some people fresh out of driving school without a perfect record.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sheri in Sacramento, California

69 months ago

Thank you. I just got off the phone with them and they are not hiring until Feb. or March. The search continues.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Thank you. I just got off the phone with them and they are not hiring until Feb. or March. The search continues.

Did you say you just or not long ago completed OTR school?
If so go back to those people that took your money for school & ask them do they know where to apply.. especially since they took your money.
Don't these driving schools have a life time job placement plan or what?
If they take people's money I believe I'd sit down & read the contract between you & the school.
Find something in the contract, seek legal advice if they don't help you.
But that's just me thinking out loud.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

69 months ago

Thank you for your outloud thoughts. Yes they are suppose to help us with finding a job but unfortunately the placement person isnt worth a crap. All she does is take your application and fax it. She doesnt have leads or suggestions. It doesnt really matter though. I was offered a job with waste management. That will do for now until I can go O.T.R.

69 months ago

That's great to hear.
That should give you some driving experience.
You might like that job better in the long run.

scott valentinen in Fresno, California

69 months ago

Can I, still get work with a trucking compamy althought I have a dirty durg test on dac

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sheri O in Sacramento, California

69 months ago

scott valentinen in Fresno, California said: Can I, still get work with a trucking compamy althought I have a dirty durg test on dac

It will be difficult but not impossible. Just depends how hard you are willing to work to find that job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

PLD in Erwin, North Carolina

69 months ago

crazyrussian said: My inquiry is this. As I understand, most drug tests are urine tests. In what cases test done via hair or blood????????

I was working for a trucking co (LOCAL 9 to 5)and was tested 5 times in two years period. They were urine tests. RANDOM. The way it was done is, you come back to yard from one of your runs and they give you notice, that you been "randomly" selected, so they give you 30 min to get to testing place, which was 5 miles away. When at testing place, you had to empty your pockets and go to the room, ALONE!, and pee in the cup..... I like to party on weekends and sometimes, when really drunk, I like to "powder my nose" if you know what I mean. The way I got around these tests is, I always had a "belt with a pouch filled with synthetic urine" in my lunch bag and put it on, on the way to test site.....
Now I am looking for an OTR job and interested to know, what are procedures in these BIG OTR companies. I mean, would I be able to do the same trick, if I'll always have my "belt" with me. And how are the test sites? I heard that at some testing facilities they actually WATCH YOU PEE in the cup?!?!
Can you please share your drug testing experiences with me?! I would really appreciate it.
P.S. I just want to mention that, SAFTY is my #1 priority and I NEVER DID or would DO drugs on duty!!! It's just a rare ocasional weekend recreation activity.... also...does anyone knows, how long coke stays in your system.
Thanks....Keep On Truckin' !!!

yes-coke stays in your system atleast 72 hrs depending on the quanity
some a little less others a little more but should be out completley in 4 days...
as far as the urine test...
when i went they had you pee in the bathroom but put this substance in the water that if you peed in there or tried to use there waterit would turn colors...big sign on the wall..DO NOT FLUSH...
also i ben to places with no handle to flush the toilet....
hope this helps..PLD

69 months ago

Sheri in Citrus Heights, California said: I am almost at the end of my trucking school and am now starting the job search. So far me being honest with the recruiters has gotten me nothing but a bunch of "no" as far as being hired so now I am trying a new approach by not telling them. I am not going to try to get on with the bigger companies but instead am looking around my area for the smaller ones that may not check for a DAC record. Will let you know how it goes.

sheri i have a 4 yeardui & a 2 1/2 year old felony...
where are these smaller companies located so i can apply for a job..
any help would be appricated..you can reach me at dentonphillip@ymail.com..any help from any of you drivers will be appricated...PLD

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

PLD...there are alot of companies out there that work with felonies. As far as the D.U.I companies are concerned if it is less than 5 years old. How close are you to that 5 year mark?

68 months ago

68 months ago

sheri my dui is 4years 5 months--
felony is 2 1/2 yearsd old..
is there any companies that you now of where i can start at..
email me at dentonphillip@ymail.com
thanks--PLD

icesr1021@yahoo.com in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

68 months ago

afb3 in Houston, Texas said: i failed a drug test to and i can tell u after 4 years it does show on dac i also did alll the requirments and have been clean from drugs and alchol in 4 years and its a pain in the trucking industry

i just failed a random and i am going thru the requirements to get back on the road,were you able to get a job driving again otr and if so can you share the info.with me,or will it be impossible to get back on the road.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

made a mistake in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

68 months ago

how long will it be before i can get a job driving otr again after a failed random,or should i look into buying my own truck and getting my own authority?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Here is some information for those that may not know. Once a year you are entitled to a free USIS report. If your wonder what that is, it's the company that sends out your information to possible employers. It gives information such as job history, past addresses , criminal history ect..... You can upload the form from www.usis.com. Just scroll down to "consumer" then look for the link. Once you get a copy of your record then you can see what others are seeing and see what it is you need to try to clean up or at least prepare for when filling out applications. Good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

somanytries in Oak Grove, Kentucky

68 months ago

I talked to western express, they said felonies are not an issue right now, and never was as long as it was not in a big truck, but right now they are not hiring because od too many dribvers and not enough trucks, i am in the same boat, i have a felony possession charge that is 3 yrs old, trying to get work, right now, but hang in there we are at the bottom of the ladder all we can do is keep climbing, if anyone has any info, about trying to drive with any company with a felony please hit me back....somanytries@yahoo.com....thanx

Butch in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

68 months ago

anyone tried nationwide express in shelbyville, tn.?
nice people as though there are a few problems but who doesn't have a few problems.

Jejuan6 in laurel, Maryland

68 months ago

Will they accept someone who fail a drugs test & have a felony that was past 5yrs ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Butch in Murfreesboro, Tennessee

68 months ago

Here is some information for those that may not know. Once a year you are entitled to a free USIS report. If your wonder what that is, it's the company that sends out your information to possible employers. It gives information such as job history, past addresses , criminal history ect..... You can upload the form from www.usis.com. Just scroll down to "consumer" then look for the link. Once you get a copy of your record then you can see what others are seeing and see what it is you need to try to clean up or at least prepare for when filling out applications. Good luck
Hey there to ya' Sheri:
I mailed into usis & just received my info file back.
There's some mis-info on my file, no bad drugs reported but there is 1 company I never worked for on my file.
I'm writing to usis & ask them to please feel free to show me where & when I drove for these people.
lol... I recall filing out an app. but I never heard nor did drive for those people. I think it was a driver temp. company.
I suppose nowdays if you file out an app. then you automatically drive... NOT!
I don't think so!
Plus there's not much other info on my file other than a couple of companies that checked on me.
There's just not much info.
It does state on the usis papers that:
Information older than 3 years will not be included in this report.

somanytries in Oak Grove, Kentucky

68 months ago

that i dont know, but call them up, they are really nice people, they told me to check back in 6 weeks

Mister in Corpus Christi, Texas

66 months ago

Im in a Similar boat : I havent failed a drug test and have no DUI's but I do have a misdemenor for pot in march of 2005. thats 4yrs agoand Ive never worked for a company but got my CDL in 2006. Most companies said I had 2 wait 5 yrs. Its been 4 but Im not even a recent graduate anymore. Does any1 know if they will check for my misdemenor from a different source other than the DAC or USIS ? PLZ ANSWER OR EMAIL ME @ guywdeweese@yahoo.com .THANKYOU

Mister in Corpus Christi, Texas

66 months ago

thanks

jack james in Madras, India

66 months ago

I enjoyed this article so much I am placing the post on my own blog site, as I am certain it will be of interest to anyone involved in the business of blogging.
[url=www.drug-intervention.com/theprocess.html]Drug Intervention[/url]

Dave in Fort Wayne, Indiana

65 months ago

I have had a dirty piss test. smoking pot. Got a job with a secondary driving company. Was honest with the owner about what i had to go through with ASAP and the out patient hours. I drove for him for two years. Since them I have gone to a larger company. I was completely honest with them. I guess what I am saying is that ofter your dirty test you will be able to drive but it might be for a mom and pop operation. They usually need drivers and cannot be as picky as the national companies. The problem isn't the trucking companies it is the insurence companys. Good luck to all....

Bonstance in Jacksonville, Florida

65 months ago

james in Gaffney, South Carolina said: I am thinking of starting truck driving school soon and was wondering how speeding tickets( 10 or less miles over the limit) will affect my chances of employment when I am finished with school.

There are ways around some of these type of issues.

65 months ago

Bonstance in Jacksonville, Florida said: There are ways around some of these type of issues.

I can be reached at boneycooks@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

stoney in Studio City, California

65 months ago

Hey does anyone know if you could find a trucking job if you recieve a speeding ticket in 2007? come back

65 months ago

Well, there are ways to take care of those issues. I offer a service that deals with those issues everyday! They can handle a lot of different issues, whether it be you or your spouse (if your spouse is a truck driver as well) or if it's just for the family. There are a lot of options. If you would like more information, I will direct you to my website for that.

Thanks!

bizofjim in Denver, Colorado

65 months ago

maria in Smithville, Tennessee said: my husband failed a drug test in 2004 for marijuana at a company he drove for. he has been driving for small companies ever since. now he is trying to work for big trucking companies, but he has been turned down because of the drug test he failed 4 years ago. what can he do about this showing up on his record. also, is it true that you DAC record isnt suppose to show test results after 3 years?
Well whose fault was that? I think it would be better for all concerned if ALL drugs were legalized, but since that is not now the case he should have not thought he was going to get away with such stupidity

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

stoney in North Hollywood, California

65 months ago

I would be more then happy if you could put your website on this form so others may communicate with you and find out what can be done to something that happened years ago. It shouldn't be a problem if you did something say 3 to 4 years ago, thats just trying to keep people (good people) away from finding a living, a legal living.

bizofjim in Denver, Colorado

65 months ago

stoney in North Hollywood, California said: I would be more then happy if you could put your website on this form so others may communicate with you and find out what can be done to something that happened years ago. It shouldn't be a problem if you did something say 3 to 4 years ago, thats just trying to keep people (good people) away from finding a living, a legal living.
If one did something 3 or 4 years ago there is a good chance they have done something wrong in the interim and have figured out a way to keep from getting caught. I have nothing against drug use as long as it does not put me in danger. I think drugs should be handled as alcohol, and that one should not use them whilst driving or doing other dangerous functions

65 months ago

I will be more than glad to give you the websites of both of my companies, but you must email me directly. I do not post them on this site. If you email me directly and not thru Indeed.com, I will pass that on to you and once you view them, you can followup with any questions.

charles in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

65 months ago

Bonstance in Jacksonville, Florida said: I will be more than glad to give you the websites of both of my companies, but you must email me directly. I do not post them on this site. If you email me directly and not thru Indeed.com, I will pass that on to you and once you view them, you can followup with any questions.

please email me with your info. pricesr1021@yahoo.com thanks.

stoney in North Hollywood, California

65 months ago

Listen I don't want you to think I'm ok with someone using drugs when driving any vehicle. A lot of people don't realize that even a joint of weed (reefer whatever they call it where you or yours live), can have the same effect on a person who smoking it, just like a person who uses harder drug i.e. crank, meph crack cocaine, herion. I understand that medical weed would help those with medical issue I'm for that, however once again it could affect them like any drug. My parent told me if I started smoking cig. that would lead to harder things.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

I remember when reefer meant the front refrigeration unit on a box/van trailer.

I have no idea what crank is either.

Wait I did see a movie called crank but I don't think that's what you mean by the word crank.

stoney in Sherman Oaks, California

65 months ago

Butch, You need to get out of tennesse and experience other states and the way some people changes the name of things. You know some words can be use in many difference ways outside of tennesse.

Butch in the boro in Nashville, Tennessee

65 months ago

Stoney, I know California has always been first in most all modern technology & a variety of business but word terminology though I believe I'll still think of reefer as the front of trailer refrigeration.
Crank was & is still to me, crank = crankshaft, located in the lower engine block area, that hold piston rods in place.
Hell, as old as I am, if I start changing words & names of things now I'll get even more confused as I am already...lol.
That way I can keep memories alive.
I've been out of Tenn. once or twice...lol.
Yes I have been to many other states, Canada also as I've driven over the road in a few different tractors & trailers/rigs. Rigs is another older word.
I've worked in trucking business off & on since the mid to late 80's.
No matter what fashion or form / word & or name though is used for drugs, drugs will always be drugs.
I've always said, " if if feels good just do it ".
But I believe I better pass on drugs!
I like keeping my CDL better. At least until I retire!

Take care out there Stoney, been a pleasure meeting ya'!

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.