have cdl license class a but no experience

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 82)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

KRAZY INDUSTRY in Lehigh Acres, Florida

42 months ago

LOOK I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM I WENT AND SPEND LOTS OF MONEY TO GET MY CDL CLASS A I EVEN GOT MY P T N AND GOT MY X A MONTH LATER BUT I HAVE NO EXP AND EVERY EMPLOYER I GO TO TELL ME THE SAME STORY WE WONT TOUCH YOU UNLESS YOU HAVE AT LEAST 2 YEARS AND I TRY TO KEEP TELLING THEM WHAT WILL BE THE DIFFERENCE OF IF SOMEONE ELSE GOT THEIR CDL 10 YEARS AGO BUT NEVER GOTTEN BEHIND THE WHEELE OF A SEMI WOULDN`T IT BE THE SAME RISK TO TAKE I JUST THINK IS KRAZY I PROBABLY DRIVE BETTER THAN MOST OF THE PEOPLE ON THEIR FLEET BUT THEY WONT TOUCH ME AND THEY KEEP PUTTING THE BLAME INTO THE INSURANCE COMPANY W T F WHAT HAPPEND TO PIONEER ON THE INDUSTRY THAT WANTED TO DEVELOP SAFE AND GOOD DRIVERS SORRY A LITTLE SAD RIGHT ABOUT NOW EVERYONE WANTS EXP DRIVER BUT HOW DO THEY EVEN THINK YOU ARE GOING TO GET EXP IF NOONE HIRES YOU THEY JUST WANT YOU TO LIE YOUR ASS OFF AND THEY WILL BE HAPPY KRAZY WORLD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (207) / No (55) Reply - Report abuse

airjunky in Loma Linda, California

41 months ago

KRAZY INDUSTRY in Lehigh Acres, Florida said: LOOK I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM I WENT AND SPEND LOTS OF MONEY TO GET MY CDL CLASS A I EVEN GOT MY P T N AND GOT MY X A MONTH LATER BUT I HAVE NO EXP AND EVERY EMPLOYER I GO TO TELL ME THE SAME STORY WE WONT TOUCH YOU UNLESS YOU HAVE AT LEAST 2 YEARS AND I TRY TO KEEP TELLING THEM WHAT WILL BE THE DIFFERENCE OF IF SOMEONE ELSE GOT THEIR CDL 10 YEARS AGO BUT NEVER GOTTEN BEHIND THE WHEELE OF A SEMI WOULDN`T IT BE THE SAME RISK TO TAKE I JUST THINK IS KRAZY I PROBABLY DRIVE BETTER THAN MOST OF THE PEOPLE ON THEIR FLEET BUT THEY WONT TOUCH ME AND THEY KEEP PUTTING THE BLAME INTO THE INSURANCE COMPANY W T F WHAT HAPPEND TO PIONEER ON THE INDUSTRY THAT WANTED TO DEVELOP SAFE AND GOOD DRIVERS SORRY A LITTLE SAD RIGHT ABOUT NOW EVERYONE WANTS EXP DRIVER BUT HOW DO THEY EVEN THINK YOU ARE GOING TO GET EXP IF NOONE HIRES YOU THEY JUST WANT YOU TO LIE YOUR ASS OFF AND THEY WILL BE HAPPY KRAZY WORLD.

you can try finding a yard goat driving position moving trailers at a big warehouse distribution center maybe through a temp agency and that will give you plenty of backing experience then after a year or so of that you can try to get a road position

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (49) / No (23) Reply - Report abuse

KRAZY INDUSTRY in Lehigh Acres, Florida

41 months ago

YOU KNOW I FINALLY CAME ACROSS A COMPANY THAT SAID YES AND FOUND A POINT IN WHAT I WAS TRYING TO POINT OUT I WAS HUMBLE AND HONEST ENOUGHT TO GO INTO THE LOCAL TRASH DISPOSAL COMPANY AND ASK FOR THEIR HR MANG AND JUST WITH A VERY PLEASENT VPOICE I CAME ACROOS LIKE I JUST WANTED A CHANCE AND WHEN SHE ASK ME IF I HAD ANY EXPERIENCE I JUST TOLD HER THAT I WANTED TO BE HONEST AND THAT I DIDNOT AND ALSO ASK HER IF I HAD SAID YES WOULD IT HAD MAKE A DIFFERNCE AND ALL ITOLD HER WAS THAT HONESTY WAS THE FIRST THING ON ME GUESS WHAT 2 DAY LATER I GOT A JOB OFFER AND A DRUG SCREEN ALL I HAD TO DO WAS MAKE A POINT.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (58) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

just some guy in San Jose, California

37 months ago

You guys need to learn how to use proper usage of caps...I feel like I've gone deaf just reading this site lol. I have 3 months experience but due to improper training with Central Refrigerated I am now out of a job (due to backing accident) and regardless of the fact that I have made all deliveries on time and more or less am a model employee because of the terms no one wants my help. Its a tough life, if you can get at least 3 months experience somewhere I have seen a lot of places that will hire you. Check craigslist if nothing else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

mahrous botros in Lindenhurst, New York

34 months ago

Ihave cdl class A and ihave some experience(6 months)andI looking for a jop please give-me an oportunity thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

JT in Kansas City, Missouri

30 months ago

I think two things.

#1 There's an experience scam going on, creating a driver shortage. The motive is federal training dollars on one hand, and having a constant supply of new drivers to rip-off on the other.

In support of this, I would say there's no way insurance company statistics/probability would bear out that 2 years experience is necessary for a new safe driver, or even 1 year. The self-insuring companies have a racket going, and the main insurors of everybody else are complicit in it. Probably both parties are owned by the same individuals/individual corporations.

#2 There are alot of stupid trucking companies. The profit margins may be slim, but the stupid companies would rather cry for more drivers all the time than pay a little higher insurance rates and get all the drivers they want. If a bunch of them got together and did this, and figured out other ways to become more profitable, then the collusion structure of the scammers would start to crack, and eventually collapse. Or, if the collusion is so strong as to be unbreakable that way, if no insurance companies would help, then they'd rather kiss the behinds of those companies than go overseas, find someone with alot of money, and start an HONEST INSURANCE COMPANY, which could reap above-average profits for a long time.

Experience itself CAN'T be the only or a complete measure of insurance risk. There's also intelligence, wisdom, morality, focus, mental and physical reaction speed, perceptual speed, and logic. All these things can be tested for, without even someone ever having been in a truck. They can be tested for at the outset of an application process, at the outset of training, and after training. A body of facts can be developed from which a new system could be continually re-analyzed and used to judge/assess/calculate risk and probability.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

JT in Kansas City, Missouri

30 months ago

A good company would have camera's on the dash, recording what goes on in front of the truck, to protect the driver. Yeah, in some cases this would prove a driver's fault, but so what? I'd bet the losses from accidents, overall, and in the long run, would be less doing what's right, than trying to hid anything at any point along the way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

patriciajnsn in Sioux City, Iowa

30 months ago

I know this thread is old but did you ppl that spent thousands on a CDL ever find a job?I thought schools help with that.I have to laugh when they say they work with the top companies,LOL.Any of you that's been doing this awhile know there is no such thing as top companies.But any of you geting ready to go to school to get your CDL,let me suggest finding a job before going to school.That way it'll be there waiting for u once you do graduate.Don't depend on schools for help,you're better off doing it yourself.All you have to do is fill out one online application and within an hr the calls and emails will be coming your way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

JT in Smithville, Missouri

30 months ago

I think you are right. Was just thinking the same thing yesterday. Would have been better to have just got on with a trash truck company or something, to get 2 years 'cdl' experience. Or, maybe it's coming back around to owner-operators, seeking and doing honest work for honest people. Probably, the whole racket was originally intended to kick the O-O out as much as possible. I only spent about $950 books and tuition, and only went to first part of the course, 4.5 of something like 6.5 weeks. Now a bunch of companies are feeding on tax dollars for training at the government trough, on one hand, and screwing an endless supply of drivers with less than 2 years experience out of everything they possibly can, on the other.

Did learn quite a bit, though the reality of the situation is that aside from some good defensive driving training, just what was in the state CDL manual, and a couple months combination CDL A experience would have been as good.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

30 months ago

JT in Smithville, Missouri said: I think you are right. Was just thinking the same thing yesterday. Would have been better to have just got on with a trash truck company or something, to get 2 years 'cdl' experience. Or, maybe it's coming back around to owner-operators, seeking and doing honest work for honest people. Probably, the whole racket was originally intended to kick the O-O out as much as possible. I only spent about $950 books and tuition, and only went to first part of the course, 4.5 of something like 6.5 weeks. Now a bunch of companies are feeding on tax dollars for training at the government trough, on one hand, and screwing an endless supply of drivers with less than 2 years experience out of everything they possibly can, on the other.

Did learn quite a bit, though the reality of the situation is that aside from some good defensive driving training, just what was in the state CDL manual, and a couple months combination CDL A experience would have been as good.

Are you driving now?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Garrett in Bismarck, North Dakota

26 months ago

If you have your CDL, I'd look into heading up here to North Dakota for work in the Bakken Oil patch. Sites such as www.jobsnd.com and www.dakotaoiljobs.com have local companies listed. Usually easier to get on with a smaller outfit with no experience than trying to get on with the bigger name folks. Start with smaller operations, work your way up. Good luck if you come up here. Be aware housing is a big issue currently, so try to find an employer than provides housing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ibeba11in in Norfolk, Virginia

26 months ago

Check out Food Distributors!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Madison, Ohio

25 months ago

That is a horrible idea! There are enough intrusions into a drivers daily life already-all we need now are cameras watching our every move. That is ridiculous to say the least!

JT in Kansas City, Missouri said: A good company would have camera's on the dash, recording what goes on in front of the truck, to protect the driver . Yeah, in some cases this would prove a driver's fault, but so what? I'd bet the losses from accidents, overall, and in the long run, would be less doing what's right, than trying to hid anything at any point along the way.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Madison, Ohio

25 months ago

Yes, you would have to have gone through a company driving school to get on-such as PAM, Schneider, CRST, and a few other crap companies to start driving. The independent and technical college schools will not get you a job. So, you many have to go to the company and pay them to go through their school (so they can make money of you and obtain a rebated from the govn't) if you want a job. Yes, its all a major SCAM by companies and the govn't has allowed this mess to occur. Insurance companies do dictate who the companies can hire and fire.

I have my CDL, drover OTR for 13 safe years, but was overseas for 10 years, now no company will touch me either.

CLASS A I EVEN GOT MY P T N AND GOT MY X A MONTH LATER BUT I HAVE NO EXP AND EVERY EMPLOYER I GO TO TELL ME THE SAME STORY WE WONT TOUCH YOU UNLESS YOU HAVE AT LEAST 2 YEARS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jfreitas

24 months ago

I went to western pacific truck school and graduated. I worked for werner for 3 months and i had to move because of family illness. I tried everywhere and no one will hire me because i am 24 and don't have enough experience. I've even looked into otr and nothing. Can someone help me. I'm willing to go and get a refresher course. Please email me at danicafreitas@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

waterhauler in Casper, Wyoming

24 months ago

jfreitas said: I went to western pacific truck school and graduated. I worked for werner for 3 months and i had to move because of family illness. I tried everywhere and no one will hire me because i am 24 and don't have enough experience. I've even looked into otr and nothing. Can someone help me. I'm willing to go and get a refresher course. Please email me at danicafreitas@yahoo.com

You can get a job in the oil field driving a water truck. There are companies which hire with no experience. Many do require from one to three or more years, but there are always some looking for new drivers. Don't work for ones which will make you into a lying thief, wanting you to do things like fake your logbook or add to the bill things not done.

The problem here is there is often no place to live in hot oil field areas, as apartments and other rentals have all filled up. You have to get on a waiting list for an apartment, or have a travel trailer to live in and find a place for it. If it's in an area with brutal winters, it has to be a polar pack trailer. If you have the means to move to a rural area in an older oil and gas field, you can find jobs but they will not pay as well as the hot areas, but it will get you a job and experience. The goal here is to find a water hauling job with a small company, preferably one which gives some evidence of being Christian owned and operated (by people who are actual real Christians not fakes), and in an area where there will be some affordable housing.

Parts of Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas are possibilities. You can look for yellow pages or maybe Chamber of Commerce information and find the addresses and phone numbers of companies which haul water. You can use the FMCSA snapshot to find out about company size and their record of outofservice drivers and trucks as an indicator of how safe and what kind of employer they are, in general.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

waterhauler in Casper, Wyoming

24 months ago

Oilfield water hauling may not or probably will not count toward OTR driving. It consists of hauling the saltwater which comes out of oil and gas wells with the oil and gas, to disposal wells where the water is put back down into a formation. Or, of hauling water and other drilling fluids to rigs drilling new wells or working over hold ones. You typically operate a Bobtail vacuum truck or vacuum tanker truck. Learning to do so is trying. The work is really all mental, the physicality if it is not bad at all. It's about getting into habits and routines and avoiding spills. About 55% or more of the time you are outside the truck. If work is for a water hauling company it is relatively simple. If for an oilfield service company there is alot more variety of tasks than simply hauling water, and in my opinion is more complicated. Another truck driving job to hunt for is grain hauling. You might find a company or farmer who will hire you with less than two years experience. In reality, the insurance rate difference for a driver with 6 months experience compared to one with 2 years is only about $80 a month, from what one commercial truck insurance underwriter told me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Glue in Salt Lake City, Utah

23 months ago

Got a call back from this company looking to hire water haulers.... It sounded like they were willing to train. I just landed a gig in N.D. so turned them down.

Frostdrivers.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Hampton, Virginia

23 months ago

www.schneiderjobs.com/CompanyDrivers/DrivingOpportunities/Over-the-Road/index.htm

This seems like a great company to get experience with. I've been following this company for a little, but you must be 21. I'm only 19, so I drive for a intrastate company to comply with the CDL-A laws.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Hampton, Virginia

23 months ago

Make sure to check out the whole website, click all the links. I doubt you will be disappoionted. Once you have at least six months as a company driver to get experience, then you could become an owner-operater, and lease a truck until you can afford your own, or continue to lease.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

John in Cleveland, Ohio

22 months ago

Garrett in Bismarck, North Dakota said: If you have your CDL , I'd look into heading up here to North Dakota for work in the Bakken Oil patch. Sites such as www.jobsnd.com and www.dakotaoiljobs.com have local companies listed. Usually easier to get on with a smaller outfit with no experience than trying to get on with the bigger name folks. Start with smaller operations, work your way up. Good luck if you come up here. Be aware housing is a big issue currently, so try to find an employer than provides housing.

Thanks for the advice, I'm a new licensee myself and have been thinking about heading up there. What kind of wages should one expect from a bakken company, is it a good idea to stay away from water hauling I hear it can be nasty stuff? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jody in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

22 months ago

I went through the same thing as many of you did in your search for a driving position. I had 13 years OTR and then taught college for 10, when I came back all the companies told me I was a student and would not hire me-except for going throughf their $4,000 schools and with a trainer for 6 weeks or so. Yes, as mentioned above, it is one big scam by the companies to get federal money to train drivers. No school of theirs-no hire. I did a refresher course for a week at a school in Ohio they told us they received a $110,000 grant from the feds to update thier facilities to train drivers, and this is a privately-owned school. Then all the other students that were finishing could not get a good lead for a job. Furthermore, the insurance excuse is just a scam also as most large companies are self-insured anyhow-so that does not jive.

I finally got on craigslist and searhed to no end (even with 13 years prior experience) and found a small company in Florida that put me right on (owned by two Russian men) at 45 cents a mile for all miles. I am averaging about $1600-$1800 a week now. Before I found this position, there were sevearal container companies willing to hire me. The advice here is too get OTR if you can't get on local for those who whish to be home everyday. After OTR it sould be easy to get local.

Another thing you might do is hang-out a a local truckstop and ask questions about jobs companies to drivers who come in. I did this and you can also get lots of leads and possibly a co-driver position in a team truck. If you really persíst you can fínd something. Hơư about a grain hauling truck out of the midưést? Hauling timbẻr in the Carolinás? Try some ma and pa companíes. Eventually something ưill come-up fỏr you. Have any ồf you studénts actually even ròde ỎTR in a truck fỏr a ưeek to sêe ưhat its all about?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

billy_penguin in Savannah, Georgia

22 months ago

I've heard that for new cdl graduates that usually have to go over the otr because the big otr companies are usually the ones that hire new drivers. Local, dedicated, and regional jobs usually require previous experience due to insurance requirements.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

nicholas jordan in Temple, Texas

22 months ago

waterhauler in Casper, Wyoming said: ...... In reality, the insurance rate difference for a driver with 6 months experience compared to one with 2 years is only about $80 a month, from what one commercial truck insurance underwriter told me.

the insurance thing if we could pull it down would go to actuarial (s) who have steering-wheel-holders in the same group as the entire applicant pool ~ the O.T.R. / D.O.T. regulated issue is going to be dicey to post opinions on as it would seem the bench will make new law - I guess - or ...... ?

over 26000 pounds is one determining factor + another is distance driven from the yard & intra-inter (state) another .... I drove city-delivery decades ago and suggest for others that ideas like waste-hauler local really really has to be deeply worked for rules & regs before any conclusive ideas for job search are underway ..... lest one ends up washing their undies in the sink at the truck-stop hoping to get yet another idea from yet another driver

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

rick in Gresham, Oregon

21 months ago

Are you in North Dakota now? I'm in Portland, Oregon and thinking of going to ND for a driving job; what else can you tell me about the latest happenings there?
Thanks,
R

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

nicholas_jordan in Temple, Texas

21 months ago

rick in Gresham, Oregon said: Are you in North Dakota now? I'm in Portland, Oregon and thinking of going to ND for a driving job; what else can you tell me about the latest happenings there?
Thanks,
R

the thing I have been following - very closely as too many jack-arounds from Nimwilly & Namby clutter the job-search - is what is called "Hydraulic Shale Fracturing" which is as hot as it gets short of going to someplace that will put you on-training with federal loan - there in N.D. what is called the Bakken Oil Field is consistently mentioned like it is some sort of opposite to Russian Open Waters Drilling (arctic ocean)

no, it is not freedom's answer to Spatznost Global Drill Team but is definitely worth a first-look ~ just be on the strong-watch for the usual swamp of claims that exist only on the back of someone's eyelids

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Shawn Waring in South Plainfield, New Jersey

20 months ago

I have my Cdl class A. I've had my licence for over 10 years and haven't had a company pick me up.I have a family to provide for. I was told I would get something....Nothing and still nothing.I'm a good worker and this is wrong. I cant blame anybody for it right off but something is very wrong with the hiring process. I have to settle for a class B job. I dont know who to turn to..But now I see I have to buil a company that give new drivers a chance at a better life. My name is Shawn lyndale Waring and I will be the change that we need.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

greg c in Vacaville, California

20 months ago

10 years,,,,something not right ,,,but anyway i had my license for over a year and i didnt want to go over the road,,,so i was thinking find and india guy who owns trucks see if he needed a driver,,,,and guess whati drove with his guy 2 days and he let me drive the next day,,,mind you i didnt have any experience except for school..and he paid 40 cents a mile,,no benifits,,or taxes taken out but i got my exp and didnt have to go across 48 states good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Asmedious in Geneseo, New York

20 months ago

General Reply:

I went to one of the top driving schools in the country back in 2003. Got my license and was immedietly hired by one of the major trucking companies and sent out with a trainer. I tried it for about four months total. Even drove tankers for a bit with a trainer. The major issue was that each trainer was more ill tempered and psychotic then the next. Maybe it was just my experience but out of four trainers only one was decent.
The companies that I attempted to get through the trainging with weren't so much interested in training a driver then having a work horse running Team with the trainer. Eventually I walked away from it all and went back into working in health care.
Wasted about $14000 between going to school, spending money on hotels, and other expenses. Big waste of time. The worst part is, without at least one year of CDL experience, even with a clean enhanced Class A license and several endoresements I can't even get a job driving a delivery van.
If I had any money I'd buy a used class B box truck and see if I could work for myself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

amarth2008 in Stockton, California

19 months ago

If you don't have experience check out may trucking or swift. May has the better equipment where swift has more terminals and pays 25 cents per mile. May pays 30cpm I've been through both of there training I preceded may swift you go all.48 with may you can do 11 western or 48.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

John in Rogers, Arkansas

19 months ago

amarth2008 in Stockton, California said: If you don't have experience check out may trucking or swift. May has the better equipment where swift has more terminals and pays 25 cents per mile. May pays 30cpm I've been through both of there training I preceded may swift you go all.48 with may you can do 11 western or 48.

IF you have your own authority and your own truck. Rodney with JB Hunt can put you to work call him at rodney_fry@jbhunt.com 4sevennine four 1 nine 3six9three

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

princessxtn

19 months ago

(Part 1 of 2) I too have run into the same 2 year experience hurdle. I grew up in those "northern" states. I highly recommend NOT heading up there if you have never driven during a blizzard, on icy off roads in unfamiliar equipment. It's not a good place to "train" this time of the year. I recommend waiting until spring. Those jobs will still be there. There may even be more opportunities since those companies will be exponentially increasing production. Watch out for scams. Any potential employer who promises you housing but wants money from you first is NOT legit. Youtube has some pretty decent videos of the trials and tribulations from people who went up there looking for jobs or were promised a job.

In the meantime, if you do NOT want to do OTR, then go "old school". I drove all around town to every trucking, towing, oil & gas company, the refinery and supply warehouses looking for a job. If there were semi's in the yard I went in. Dressed ready to go to work with a copy of my resume in hand and asked if they were looking for a CDL driver and went from there. Worst case scenario is they tell you “No”. You would be surprised at how many places will actually give you the names of business' that will hire a new grad or someone without recent experience. It's all about networking and people skills.

If you don’t mind gaining experience on several different types of equipment such as flat beds, lowboys, tankers, pumpers, etc. then check your job placement agencies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

princessxtn

19 months ago

(Part 2 of 2)Also, check out your local training centers and/or your workforce centers. Both our local training center and workforce center have grants for CDL schools. Because they have grants they should also be in the know of who is hiring new grads.

Another place to check is road construction and earth moving companies. They have to get their equipment on and off the site somehow. You may even get hooked up as a heavy equipment operator. Who knows. At least they may be able to provide you a contact to the company that does haul their equipment.

Be creative and don’t limit yourself to OTR with Swift, C.R. England, Central Refrigerated, etc. Local gigs are there for the tenacious.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nannyrzzz in Castro Valley, California

19 months ago

KRAZY INDUSTRY in Lehigh Acres, Florida said: LOOK I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM I WENT AND SPEND LOTS OF MONEY TO GET MY CDL CLASS A I EVEN GOT MY P T N AND GOT MY X A MONTH LATER BUT I HAVE NO EXP AND EVERY EMPLOYER I GO TO TELL ME THE SAME STORY WE WONT TOUCH YOU UNLESS YOU HAVE AT LEAST 2 YEARS AND I TRY TO KEEP TELLING THEM WHAT WILL BE THE DIFFERENCE OF IF SOMEONE ELSE GOT THEIR CDL 10 YEARS AGO BUT NEVER GOTTEN BEHIND THE WHEELE OF A SEMI WOULDN`T IT BE THE SAME RISK TO TAKE I JUST THINK IS KRAZY I PROBABLY DRIVE BETTER THAN MOST OF THE PEOPLE ON THEIR FLEET BUT THEY WONT TOUCH ME AND THEY KEEP PUTTING THE BLAME INTO THE INSURANCE COMPANY W T F WHAT HAPPEND TO PIONEER ON THE INDUSTRY THAT WANTED TO DEVELOP SAFE AND GOOD DRIVERS SORRY A LITTLE SAD RIGHT ABOUT NOW EVERYONE WANTS EXP DRIVER BUT HOW DO THEY EVEN THINK YOU ARE GOING TO GET EXP IF NOONE HIRES YOU THEY JUST WANT YOU TO LIE YOUR ASS OFF AND THEY WILL BE HAPPY KRAZY WORLD.
well what I know is when I got my license took me a month to get a job I didn't think it was fair either schools don't tell you that trucking companies don't want an experienced drivers and know if you have your does CDL for 10 years and you're not driving that's not experience you have to have behind the wheel experience to get hired on at a company hi brandy drivers like it 16 year old kid trying to get insurance imagine how much it would cost them if you were to record something and bottom line is when your new driver you are inexperienced whether you like it or not I've been 7 a half years on the road and I think I'm ready to give it up forjust keep looking you may have to go over the road and just because you have all the endorsements doesn't mean anything when you don't have any experience take care and good luck don't give up it be nice if more people would put it out there on Facebook or whatever it's not that easy to get a job once you get your CDL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

nannyrzzz in Castro Valley, California

19 months ago

OMG I spelt so much stuff wrong sorry you can not get a job if you are a brand new driver drivers that have their CDL and are not using it can not get jobs either even if they have it for 10 years put thIs out on social networks blog l

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Garrett

19 months ago

If you're having trouble landing a truck driving job due to inexperience look into maybe driving class B for a bit. The winters up in North Dakota can be downright nasty and employers want drivers who can and know how to drive in blizzard and icy conditions. I know you can make an easy 20/hr driving gravel truck around town up here in Minot. Maybe a guy could do that until spring and then use that experience to land a CDL job driving water truck or crude etc in a few months when things really break loose.

I'd just keep checking sites like www.jobsnd.com or www.dakotaoiljobs.com for jobs like heavy equipment operator and other truck driving type jobs. And snow is on the ground now, so if you hate the cold, I'd say wait until spring time. Alot of people can't hack the weather and there's currently lots of jobs open for truck drivers, especially if you have experience.

If you still need a CDL, I know Pure Energy of Minot, ND was allowing employees to use their vehicles for the test. Not sure if that's still the case (it was this summer), but might be worth a shot to get a foot in the door.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

thunderf4 in Azle, Texas

18 months ago

just some guy in San Jose, California said: You guys need to learn how to use proper usage of caps...I feel like I've gone deaf just reading this site lol. I have 3 months experience but due to improper training with Central Refrigerated I am now out of a job (due to backing accident) and regardless of the fact that I have made all deliveries on time and more or less am a model employee because of the terms no one wants my help. Its a tough life, if you can get at least 3 months experience somewhere I have seen a lot of places that will hire you. Check craigslist if nothing else.

How is it Central Refrigerates Fault you cant get a job? You were out on a job and you had a "Backing Accident"?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

thunderf4 in Azle, Texas

18 months ago

jfreitas said: I went to western pacific truck school and graduated. I worked for werner for 3 months and i had to move because of family illness. I tried everywhere and no one will hire me because i am 24 and don't have enough experience. I've even looked into otr and nothing. Can someone help me. I'm willing to go and get a refresher course. Please email me at danicafreitas@yahoo.com

You did not have to quite working for werner, all you had to do is tell them you need to move. Call them see if they can give you back your job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

18 months ago

I'll have to agree with thunder.Call Werner back.But as far as noone hireing you,that's false.If Werner hired you then other starter companies will.But you may have to go thru training again.But don't think about driving OTR with any company because with little exp you have,the only companies that'll give you a chance are starter companies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shawn in Nelsonville, Ohio

17 months ago

I have had my CDL class A for 5 years but have been unable to obtain a job. I have applied at dozens of companies and online job sites but still nothing. I found out last summer when i got pulled over that there was a felony charge on my driving record , this however was inaccurate and i went to the municipal court in the county i live in and disputed it,and it has since been removed , but i am guessing that this may be part of the reason as to why i have been unable to get a job. I went to Roadmaster in Columbus OH and they 'guaranteed' me a job upon completeion of the schooling. They said they thoroughly checked my driving record out and that it was 'workable'( that felony was on my driving record for 2 years before i went there), but when i graduated NO ONE would hire me . I eventually was "almost" picked up by swift and arrow trucking but at the last minute the job rep said they couldn't hire me after all with no explanation. I even completed orientation at swift and then they said they couldn't hire me. Not sure what's up with that other than that felony, but now that it's taken care of i am interested in finding a job but have no experience and would most likely need a refresher course. Any suggestions????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Shawn in Nelsonville, Ohio

17 months ago

I should add that i have only one traffic violation in past 3 years which is the one from this past summer!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Just Bee in Cicero, Illinois

12 months ago

Im going through that now. Thing is its a ton of companies that will hire a driver fresh outta school BUT they are the ones that will send you out for 14 days and be home 1. Thats Fine if you wanna be out there...I dont, I got a wife and 2 daughters. So worst case scenario I'll go get a dedicated run if Nothing comes along in the next 2-3 weeks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Cindy in Manassas, Virginia

12 months ago

I recruit for some of the large carriers and some are looking for student drivers who just completed training at particular schools. Most will want you to do OTR training as someone mentioned prior, but some have dedicated runs. If you want me to assist helping you find employment, send me your email.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Andre in Vernon, British Columbia

12 months ago

I just finished driving school got my CDL about a month ago I have been applying like crazy to all sorts of companies so far all have said no you need experience. No one wants to take on the challenge of bringing on a new driver cause of insurance issues. I was funded through EI (employment insurance) 7500 dollars later i have my CDL and still unemployed. You hear stories, get your class one and the jobs are plentiful its true they are but the caveat is YOU NEED EXPERIENCE!!! I have heavy equipment experience (about 2 years worth) I feel like I've been duped.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Andre in Vernon, British Columbia

12 months ago

so if anyone knows of any Canadian companies out there who will take on new drivers spread the news.

troyvm in Pearl, Mississippi

11 months ago

I went about 2 months ago and got my class a cdl. I studied the book for my permit an 2 weeks later took the road test thru a 3rd party tester, everywhere I have called wants experience, I can not afford to go thru a cdl school and not get paid. do any companies have paid training for someone who already has their class a? I need a job. I'm in the Jackson Mississippi area. any advice is greatly appreciatied

Cindy in Waldorf, Maryland

11 months ago

I have several student positions in various areas of the country. Send me and email and I will contact you to discuss what I have. Email me at cindy@jobs4truckdrivers.com.

Cindy in Manassas, Virginia

11 months ago

NOW HIRING CLASS A STUDENT DRIVER GRADAUTES AND EXPERIENCED CLASS A DRIVERS!

RECENT GRADUATES!

• Must have graduated from an approved School in the last 12 months.
• Paid training while you are out with your driver trainer!
• Tuition reimbursement up to $6K

Hiring in major cities like. If interested click on link below to find out cities hiring

jobs4truckdrivers.applicantstack.com/x/detail/a27unxtlfwor

or email or call me at cindy@jobs4truckdrivers.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Nick in Brooklyn, New York

10 months ago

I'm a new CDL driver can u help me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Trans American in Glendale, Arizona

10 months ago

Andre in Vernon, British Columbia said: I just finished driving school got my CDL about a month ago I have been applying like crazy to all sorts of companies so far all have said no you need experience. No one wants to take on the challenge of bringing on a new driver cause of insurance issues. I was funded through EI (employment insurance) 7500 dollars later i have my CDL and still unemployed. You hear stories, get your class one and the jobs are plentiful its true they are but the caveat is YOU NEED EXPERIENCE!!! I have heavy equipment experience (about 2 years worth) I feel like I've been duped.

Come to Arizona, We are looking for drivers.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.