What's the deal on flatbed trailer work ?

Comments (5)

Aaron Cooper in Rockford, Illinois

84 months ago

What is all involved in working for a flatbed carrier ?

Eric G. in Greensboro, North Carolina

76 months ago

Aaron Cooper in Rockford, Illinois said: What is all involved in working for a flatbed carrier ?

Depends entirely upon what type of Flatbed as there are specifics: 45', 48', 53'.
Spread axle or Tandem.
Step deck, Drop deck, Covered wagon (Flatbed with Aluminum framework and Tarps).

Strapping, Chaining, Tarping in all weather conditions and/or environments.
Good Balance is important for climbing upon loads in securing and tarping.
Most companies require their drivers to at least supply their own rubber hooked straps where Chains and Ratchet locks and load straps(woven) are provided.
Some companies require the driver to supply their own Coil Tarps for those companies that haul such materials.
--In '99 Coil Tarps cost $125.00-$150.00--

Flatbed work is not for the faint of heart or the lazy drivers as there is usually quite much physical activity required.

I tried it in my first year of driving OTR yet it wasn't for me.

Mike

72 months ago

I have been pulling flat bed & a step deck for 15 years now & of course I am a O/O but never the less if I was a company driver I would not pay for any equipment to haul the freight, if there is companies out there that make the driver buy any equipment to haul freight then you are a fool to work there. A O/O with both truck & trailer is different, your equipment you pay for it.
The other point is right on target, not for the lazy drivers & it is a lot more dangers then a van or reefer!

SAMBO in Dawson Springs, Kentucky

66 months ago

Aaron Cooper in Rockford, Illinois said: What is all involved in working for a flatbed carrier ?

HELLO AND HOW ARE YOU? I'VE BEEN FLAT BEDDING FOR 2 YRS NOW. IAM HERE TO TELL YOU ITS WORK REAL WORK AND IN ALL KINDS OF CONDITION . BEING A FLAT BEDDER WILL SEPRATE THE MEN FROM THE BOYS. THERES LONG LOAD TIMES LOAD SECUREMENTS TARPING AND UNTARPING IN COLD AND WINDY CONDITIONS FLAT BEDING IS ABOUT AS RUFF AS IT GETS FOE A SOLO DRIVER. BUT AT THE END OF YOUR 14 HRS AND YOU CRAWL INTO THE BUNK AND YOU LAY THERE WATEING TO DRIFT OFF TO SLEEP ( WICH DOESNT TAKE LONG) YOU WILL THANK TO YOUR SELF . IAM ONE OF THE BEST OF THE BEST IAM A AMERICAN FLAT BEDDER........

thonghnter in Hemet, California

50 months ago

Flat bedding off/on 14yrs, will never catch me in line to unload at a Costco or a grocery warehouse. Flat bed done right is easy but physical and no touch freight. Most of your customers have a whole different attitude towards you. You will never see a flat bedder with a load of toilet paper with the words "hot load" next to it. And you are right, it's not for the lazy driver who wants everything done for them, it's for the driver who likes to get his load, strap it down and deliver it, with usually higher rates than van loads. But it's not for everyone, good for us who do.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.