Hate Being A Sonographer

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

Applegirl89 in Florida

24 months ago

I am a newly employed tech and absolutely hate it. The responsibility is overwhelming for me and I have so much anxiety every time I have to go into work. I am only per diem and even the low amount of hours I get has peoved to be too much. Does anyone know of a related career that maybe is a little more predictable and structured?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Roger in Oakland, California

24 months ago

sorry to hear that. every lab I have been to is different. But I took my opportunities serious, so I dont let small things bug me. Being in the medical field, I feel nothing is predictable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Zanesville, Ohio

24 months ago

I absolutely HATE my job too. I am working about 100 hours a week, on call every other night and getting no sleep those nights because I am being called in all of the time, and I'm about to have a nervous breakdown. I am trying (in the very few free hours I have) to find a job outside of the healthcare field, which is what I would suggest for you too. The healthcare field is anything but predictable!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sonopain in Mississauga, Ontario

2 months ago

Applegirl89 in Florida said: I am a newly employed tech and absolutely hate it. The responsibility is overwhelming for me and I have so much anxiety every time I have to go into work. I am only per diem and even the low amount of hours I get has peoved to be too much. Does anyone know of a related career that maybe is a little more predictable and structured?

I am a new grad as well...hate my job with a passion. I also work part time ( 3 days a week) but I find myself dreading work so much on the days I have off that I can't even enjoy my free time. I'm also currently trying to pass my board exams as well so my free time is pure crap. I saw you posted this 22 months ago...just wondering what you ended up doing. I feel like if it doesn't get any easier with time I should quit sooner rather than later. I also don't know what other kinds of jobs I could do with a degree in ultrasound.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

xboxer in Cactus, Arizona

2 months ago

You went into this. Believed what the schools told you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

SadSonographer in Albuquerque, New Mexico

2 months ago

There isn't really anything you can do with a sonography degree other than sonography. You could go back to school for CT or x-ray. It might give you a leg up to go back for nursing. But if you are scared of the responsibility... Maybe go into sales or something, or be a medical office person. Something that doesn't involve patient care, since anything like that is going to involve great responsibility.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

2 months ago

SadSonographer in Albuquerque, New Mexico said: There isn't really anything you can do with a sonography degree other than sonography. You could go back to school for CT or x-ray. It might give you a leg up to go back for nursing. But if you are scared of the responsibility... Maybe go into sales or something, or be a medical office person. Something that doesn't involve patient care, since anything like that is going to involve great responsibility.

All modalities are saturated.
Sales...you need a track record, or if you know someone to get in.
It's not the job responsibility. It's the workload and being forced to work faster and faster, less exam time, more paperwork to do, crappy machines, more and more to do in the same time.
Just not valued for what we do or our knowledge.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Forkn in Knoxville, Tennessee

2 months ago

GE, Phillips, Toshiba, etc. hire skilled salesmen to sell their machines, not ultrasound techs. U/S techs are hired to demonstrate and provide info on the machines; but those jobs are few and far between. A big problem that happened with the recession is that techs are too scared to quit a bad job and try and find better positions, with good reason. I've worked in crazy bad hospitals, and fair ones. Not every hospital and work environment is the same. If you've invested this much time and money and have a job in ultrasound but hate it, I'd try at the very least to get a job at a different hospital. Workload, paperwork, and machines can vary depending on the hospital you are in.

2 months ago

Yes, sales for expensive equipment like ultrasound machines, requires demonstrated sales track records.

There just aren't that many jobs in any modality to begin with. Look how many they hire in an outpatient facility or a hospital.

The field is so saturated. It is not what we were promised in school.

2 months ago

Yep, and I've never met a sales rep for ultrasound machines that had a history of being an ultrasound tech. Just curious because you sound like someone new to this work; how long have you been a sonographer? Do you currently have a job in ultrasound?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

2 months ago

Worked for quite awhile in this.
I do.
What about you?

2 months ago

Not a lot of hours anymore though...

2 months ago

Around 15 years.
I do too.
Lack of hours is bad news for all of us. I've seen many hospitals that don't mind techs having really busy days and then sending people home when work is slow. It's strange to me when techs don't mind being sent home early. Back when I got into this line of work, my school didn't promise me anything. Me and my fellow students didn't have any idea of job availability and assumed there would be a job available once we got out, and that wasn't a naïve assumption at the time. Times have changed. I hate that many students are paying $30k for no job, prn, or part-time and think that's a step up from whatever their current situation is. If that was even a remote possibility, I would've done anything else but ultrasound.

2 months ago

I wonder about the hours thing too. There are women who rely on the husband so they just work more when they feel like it. The ones who have the schedule arranged so they can take the kids to band practice. I am so done with having to cover for those people.

Things have changed so much. I am sure you remember sign-on bonuses.

I have seen student literally work free. They think they are getting their foot in the door. I am just appalled by it, because it's lowering wages. Some places just get rid of the older or experienced techs and replace them with people out of school. But a lot of the schools don't have good clinicals for them. I am tired of the interviews where they say they want you to train someone who is right out of school for them. It's just using other people, and I know they aren't planning on keeping you if you do that for them.

I think it's their own fault at this point. There is enough evidence not to go into ultrasound or any other radiology modality.
They fall for any line the school gives them.
There is a lot of arrogance in this. Heard one say she will get a job, she isn't too worried about it, because she is "a hard worker". Well, we all are. But that doesn't create new positions.
Some of the students are right there, ready to take your job. If the place cares about quality, you're safe. But if they care more about the money, you're gone.

These students are going to find out that it won't be long before they are on the other side, and someone is vying for their job.

2 months ago

I agree. I might be naïve myself, but I truly believe there will always be a 40 hour a week job for me somewhere in this country just because I know I'm better and work harder than 90% of the techs out there. I look at this profession as any other occupation, supply and demand rules. But, there's still enough of a demand for experience. If a hospital were to hire a new grad over me to save a buck; that's their mistake. I've never heard of a hospital firing or letting an experienced tech leave in order to hire someone right out of school, unless the tech had a bad attitude and/or was a little crazy.

2 months ago

Forkn in Knoxville, Tennessee said: I agree. I might be naïve myself, but I truly believe there will always be a 40 hour a week job for me somewhere in this country just because I know I'm better and work harder than 90% of the techs out there. I look at this profession as any other occupation, supply and demand rules. But, there's still enough of a demand for experience. If a hospital were to hire a new grad over me to save a buck; that's their mistake. I've never heard of a hospital firing or letting an experienced tech leave in order to hire someone right out of school, unless the tech had a bad attitude and/or was a little crazy.

That happens where I am all of the time.
The job market might be better where you are.
I had a friend call me years ago, said where she worked, they let go the top tier of people and the rads were freaking out.
It's happened to me twice.

I am finally where I really know what I am doing, and when I've played a hunch or gone with a gut feeling, I was right. I liked the idea of being able to do the best for someone.

I have been looking for work in other fields. I feel like I can't get a job because I am experienced.

Jobs here are trying to pay $15, 20 an hour. It's very insulting too.

2 months ago

That's a horrible situation. I've never looked for work in other fields just because I wouldn't know how to do anything else. I'd probably burn the fries cookin' at McDonalds! My wage has decreased post recession, but I'm a realist and don't believe in unions. I'm worth exactly what the hospital is willing to pay after negotiation and nothing more. If a job's only paying $15-20/hr with registries and experience, that's bad times and time to get outa that town or do something else.

2 months ago

It's hard when you've worked hard and then you see the new grads get jobs simply because they are cheaper.

I remember having to get experience and prove myself.

As long as people will work for very low pay, that and the new grads vs the experienced techs will be an issue.
There are people who are more than willing to teach students, but when they lose their jobs, they find out how hard it is to get back into one.

I always thought if I did well, it would guarantee me a job. I know better now, and I know this is true for just about any field you are in.

If it weren't so expensive, it would be worth starting my own business. I don't mind working hard.

Sono Aus in Atlanta, Georgia

1 month ago

I totally agree. I dealt with some of the same things when I first started. My first position was at a hospital I was a student at. They trained me for three months and then put me on my real shift which was weekend coverage (8 hr shift + call the entire weekend). I also worked a few weekdays as well. The anxiety for me was terrible. I wasn't getting any sleep when I was on call. I often would dream about ultrasound. It was like it consumed my life. I even got chewed out by the head radiologist one morning during a call back (5:45 am). It sucked and he gave me this talk about if I want to keep my job...blah blah blah. Wages were horrible at 16 Bucks an hr but it gave me experience. To make a long story short I got about 9 months exp and quit. Yep, Put my notice in and quit. My next position was a contract position paying more than double that + mileage/hotel/travel. I really don't know how much longer I'll be in this field. The thing is I almost refuse to take a position or odd job that pays lower so until I decide to go back to school I guess I'm stuck in this line of work for right now. I'm considering PA school but If dealing with a supervising physician is the same as having to deal with these picky radiologist then I know I will not enjoy it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.