Who would give new grads a break?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

Frustrated in Butler, New Jersey

17 months ago

Where are all the jobs for new grads? Most ultrasound technician jobs want at least 1 year "working" experience. I cannot relocate as my husband needs to retire in New Jersey, but the market is flooded. I am ARDMS certified in Abdomen and plan on sitting for my OB/GYN exam.

If you look at all the jobs in the hospitals you will find HUNDREDS of jobs that are for Registered Nurses, but only minimal jobs for Ultrasound Technician positions.

There are many schools graduating at least 30 students a year with no available jobs.

If you are willing to re-locate, you may be able to find an entry-level job, but otherwise there is no one willing to take the time, to hire a new grad.

Understandably, ultrasound is a field that is very operator-dependent. You can make patholoty look like "nothing" and "nothing" look like pathology considering the artifacts that the sound produces when hitting an interface such as smooth objects or simple gas. Its not like you are doing an x-ray or MRI and the machine is doing the work. The radiologist is very dependent upon the skill of the US tech to give good images and not miss pathology. However; the longer we are out of school, the more we lose the "skill" necessary to be a Ultrasound Technician.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Roger in Oakland, California

17 months ago

This is happening in many places. I believe if you go to a place in person and give the manager your resume, they can talk to you and you can give them how you are in person.

When I got out of my adult echo program here in San Francisco, I knew there weren't that many positions available for full time. The most I would see is for experienced techs or per diem for the new grads.

I applied online in the cities I was willing to relocate to (I have a family as well) and started with handing out my resume to each hospital around the bay area.

At this time, I was a week out of school and not registered. Even though my program was adult echo, I had internships in pediatric and vascular.

I went to one of the Children's Hospitals (Oakland) and gave my resume to the manager. Now, I applied online and they wanted people with 3-5yrs experience.

When the manager came out, I introduced myself and handed him my resume. He looked down and saw I had some peds experience. We talked and then I sat with each of the cardiologists (8) and was hired 2 weeks later.

People say I am lucky, but my manager said he felt I had right attitude and they were willing to give me a chance.

That was 9 months ago.

The best presentation is yourself. If they see you in person and see something in you, they will keep that in mind. Not to mention, they have your resume on hand OR you can ask them for leads.

Hope that helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

L6870 in Dallas, Texas

17 months ago

Frustrated in Butler, New Jersey said: Where are all the jobs for new grads? Most ultrasound technician jobs want at least 1 year "working" experience. I cannot relocate as my husband needs to retire in New Jersey, but the market is flooded. I am ARDMS certified in Abdomen and plan on sitting for my OB/GYN exam.

If you look at all the jobs in the hospitals you will find HUNDREDS of jobs that are for Registered Nurses, but only minimal jobs for Ultrasound Technician positions.

There are many schools graduating at least 30 students a year with no available jobs.

If you are willing to re-locate, you may be able to find an entry-level job, but otherwise there is no one willing to take the time, to hire a new grad.

Understandably, ultrasound is a field that is very operator-dependent. You can make patholoty look like "nothing" and "nothing" look like pathology considering the artifacts that the sound produces when hitting an interface such as smooth objects or simple gas. Its not like you are doing an x-ray or MRI and the machine is doing the work. The radiologist is very dependent upon the skill of the US tech to give good images and not miss pathology. However; the longer we are out of school, the more we lose the "skill" necessary to be a Ultrasound Technician.

I COMPLETELY agree!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

california girl1 in San Francisco, California

17 months ago

Thanks for the helpful input. I applied to school this year, but didn't get in and I'm debating if I want to reapply next year. The school I applied to is accredited but they are continuing to pump out large numbers of students and I worry about finding a job after I graduate! I've been thinking about nursing but that field is completely impacted here in california too!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Roger in San Francisco, California

16 months ago

To all, every place is different. Every program is different.. so no matter what you do, it is up to you to make things happen. Whether that is sitting for a registry or finding a job. I was willing to make the sacrifice and move if I had to. I knew what the odds were when I was getting out, and I knew how many people were competing for jobs. Dont get me wrong, I had a couple interviews before I got hired and I was competing against techs that had yrs of experience over me... so my test scan was not as fast as theirs'.

If you become persistant and dont limit yourself, I sure as hell was going to go to every hospital as I mentioned... because I knew eventually I would find something.

That was for echo. I was caught off guard as after I got hired for full time pediatric echo, I had a ton of vascular positions offered....pissed.

It is true that there are for profit colleges pumping out techs every year/semester/quarter... but from some of those techs that I have come across, they are not well trained. I am not gonna judge though, it is up to you as a tech to get registered and sell yourself in the interview.

@california girl1... dont worry about what the market is gonna look like when you get out. I will say this though, it will change. people retire, people move, people go from full time to part time... regardless you will have a 2yr education and you will eventually find something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana

16 months ago

There aren't enough jobs. There aren't jobs like there are jobs for nurses. Some hospitals have 1, 2, 4 techs. Some of the bigger ones have 6, 8 or so. Some have a lot of pool techs on board.
Outpatient facilities may have only ONE tech. Whoever got the idea to pump out ultrasound techs is crazy. It is a very limited employment situation and always has been.
Pay is down, because of the glut of technologists.
And these people on here go on and on about getting registered, their schools' accreditation, etc.

New grads getting a break? Can you determine what a tech of say, 10 years experience, can do? It seems the schools are pouring out the "Entitlement" mentality, that someone owes you something, that because you forked out money to this school, you should have a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rainie in Butler, New Jersey

16 months ago

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana said: There aren't enough jobs. There aren't jobs like there are jobs for nurses. Some hospitals have 1, 2, 4 techs. Some of the bigger ones have 6, 8 or so. Some have a lot of pool techs on board.
Outpatient facilities may have only ONE tech. Whoever got the idea to pump out ultrasound techs is crazy. It is a very limited employment situation and always has been.
Pay is down, because of the glut of technologists.
And these people on here go on and on about getting registered, their schools' accreditation, etc.

New grads getting a break? Can you determine what a tech of say, 10 years experience, can do? It seems the schools are pouring out the "Entitlement" mentality, that someone owes you something, that because you forked out money to this school, you should have a job.

So what does this all mean? Schools will find a way to make money by promoting an attractive field with zero jobs? What about X-Ray Techs, MRI Techs, CAT scan techs, Respiratory Therapists and Mammo Techs? There are not that many jobs out there for them either. The only field right now I can see booming is Registered Nurse jobs. Some hospitals are giving incentives like a sign-on bonus.

The fact is, Ultrasound is a very important diagnostic tool that physicians use. Breast Ultrasound is needed to determine if a mass is cystic or solid, and to guide biopsies. There is always a need for Ultrasound in OB/GYN and vascular labs always need to do carotid and venous Doppler studies. People move, people retire people leave to raise a family. This doesn't mean that you stop educating people. Its a slow job market and you are right, there are not many techs per practice as opposed to registered nurses, but eventually if people are persistent and willing to relocate they may get the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

california girl1 in San Francisco, California

16 months ago

Rainie in Butler, New Jersey said: So what does this all mean? Schools will find a way to make money by promoting an attractive field with zero jobs? What about X-Ray Techs, MRI Techs, CAT scan techs, Respiratory Therapists and Mammo Techs? There are not that many jobs out there for them either. The only field right now I can see booming is Registered Nurse jobs. Some hospitals are giving incentives like a sign-on bonus.

Nursing? Booming?? hahaha. Maybe near you, but nearly half of new nursing grads here in California can't find jobs! I was debating going into nursing as well, but I have too many friends that recently graduated that are unable to get jobs. Many areas of the medical field are completely saturated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

NC echo tech RDCS in Kernersville, North Carolina

15 months ago

Roger in Oakland, California said: This is happening in many places. I believe if you go to a place in person and give the manager your resume, they can talk to you and you can give them how you are in person.

When I got out of my adult echo program here in San Francisco, I knew there weren't that many positions available for full time . The most I would see is for experienced techs or per diem for the new grads.

I applied online in the cities I was willing to relocate to (I have a family as well) and started with handing out my resume to each hospital around the bay area.

Hello Roger,

I am an RDCS echo tech looking for work. I graduated 3 years ago. I have fought tooth-and-nail for opportunities only to find that I have to pay several hundred dollars for an on-site interview. If I fork over the money there are at least 12 other people interviewing who are fresh graduates. Seeing that I am out of work and so is my husband we can not continue to drain our bank account for these false hopes. I have tried to contact nearby hospitals to "volunteer" and keep my skills current but this again is a dead end. Due to liability reasons no one is interested in this arrangement. The longer time goes on the more "dead" my career is. Any suggestions on approaches other than filling out application after application and getting 1 phone call for every 50 applications inviting me to spend $400 for an interview?

Lisa

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NC echo tech RDCS in Kernersville, North Carolina

15 months ago

LikaFDP in New York, New York said: The difference is x-ray, mri, nurses, etc - all thoses modalities require professionals to be registered through accredited programs and licensure. Why not sonography too? We are an important diagnostic tool, just as you say. But since we don't require licensure, for-profit career schools have been popping up like daisys even while the available jobs have shrunk. I really don't think it will change because there is a lot of profit involved.

What does it mean? It means buyer beware, because going to school for ultrasound, it is going to be much harder to find a job than any of those other modalities, and this field in particular is prone to abusive situations that prey on desperate people. I've seen it firsthand.

What type of abuse are you talking about? The fork over money for an interview or bad work conditions in the imaginary world that you are hired?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ThinkAgain in Cleveland, Ohio

15 months ago

Rainie in Butler, New Jersey said: So what does this all mean? Schools will find a way to make money by promoting an attractive field with zero jobs? What about X-Ray Techs, MRI Techs, CAT scan techs, Respiratory Therapists and Mammo Techs? There are not that many jobs out there for them either. The only field right now I can see booming is Registered Nurse jobs. Some hospitals are giving incentives like a sign-on bonus.

The fact is, Ultrasound is a very important diagnostic tool that physicians use. Breast Ultrasound is needed to determine if a mass is cystic or solid, and to guide biopsies. There is always a need for Ultrasound in OB/GYN and vascular labs always need to do carotid and venous Doppler studies. People move, people retire people leave to raise a family. This doesn't mean that you stop educating people. Its a slow job market and you are right, there are not many techs per practice as opposed to registered nurses, but eventually if people are persistent and willing to relocate they may get the job.

Yes, because they know people don't investigate the current job market, and they can promote what was going on over 10 years ago. The constant "medical field is in demand" mantra.

Many of these schools are pouring out hundreds of students per year, with streamlined programs. The job market is a limited amount out there, and it appears most who post on this site with complaints of "no job" didn't know what they were getting into.

Schools will say a lot of things to get your money. You are believing those who stand to make a great deal of money off of you.

When you say that Ultrasound is a diagnostic tool....etc...you sound like a school, not a tech. This is far from a "slow market", and why, if you are a graduate student, do you really care to promote something you can't find a job in?? Eh?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

ThinkAgain in Cleveland, Ohio said: Yes, because they know people don't investigate the current job market, and they can promote what was going on over 10 years ago. The constant "medical field is in demand" mantra.

Many of these schools are pouring out hundreds of students per year, with streamlined programs. The job market is a limited amount out there, and it appears most who post on this site with complaints of "no job" didn't know what they were getting into.

Schools will say a lot of things to get your money. You are believing those who stand to make a great deal of money off of you.

When you say that Ultrasound is a diagnostic tool....etc...you sound like a school, not a tech. This is far from a "slow market", and why, if you are a graduate student, do you really care to promote something you can't find a job in?? Eh?

I may sound like a school and not a tech, so forgive me for the use of my words, but I still think ultrasound is a very needed and important diagnostic tool. Since my postings I did get a job by someone willing to "give a new grad a break".
Best of luck to all.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ThinkAgain in Cleveland, Ohio

15 months ago

Rainie in Butler, New Jersey said: I may sound like a school and not a tech, so forgive me for the use of my words, but I still think ultrasound is a very needed and important diagnostic tool. Since my postings I did get a job by someone willing to "give a new grad a break".
Best of luck to all.

The question was not if ultrasound is a needed tool, this goes without saying.
The question is about new grads.

And you sound like a school to me. Techs don't argue if their modality is "important" or not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

Whoa. I'm not getting in a heated debate over why I posted here, what I posted, here and what it sounds like to people who like you who "read" into every little thing people write and Pick them apart. I am discontinuing this post and will no longer accept a reply. Best of luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

15 months ago

california girl1 in San Francisco, California said:

Yup, I know many new grad nurses looking for a job.. they are even registered, but dont have experience.

Once some of these older generation nurses retire.. there will be a boom.

15 months ago

NC echo tech RDCS in Kernersville, North Carolina said:

Lisa,

Sorry to hear that. I would suggest talking to the dept managers to see if they would let you "observe". The other is finding those small doctor offices and see if they can let you "observe". Once I was there to observe, I would get a bit of hands on after the tech and the patient were okay with me getting a couple shots.

Some doctors are great to talk to and can give leads that might lead to something.

I dont know who pays for an interview.. that a big chunk of money or a 50/50 chance.

Other is registry work. If you can travel out of your area, I'm sure you might find something.. even if it is per diem or part time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Grace8 in San Francisco Bay Area, California

6 months ago

Hi Roger,

I've graduated in 2013 and I've since worked for registries and applied to every job I could find. Recently I applied to the Children's Hospital in Oakland and got rejected. Do you do any vascular ultrasound there or only pediatric echo? I'm finding vascular is hard to break into espeically since my school didn't provide me with a vascular lab as training. If you also do vascular, is there any chance that I could come and observe? Thanks!

6 months ago

LikaFDP in New York, New York said: Unfortunately, the reality is, there are not enough jobs for all the grads the schools are pumping out...not even close. So if you are not registered and getting through exams in a timely manner by the time you graduate...there is a good chance you are not going to make it. The schools don't care, they are a business , and often I've found, the clinical sites just want free help transporting patients and clean up. No one will really look out for you except yourself. By the time many realize this, it's too late. If you come into this you need to be in it for the right reasons and have lots of support. Some days it seems like like I'm trying to become an actor in LA or something!

"Out there"...hospitals only hire a handful of techs and many other facilities only hire one or two techs. Just where do these schools think all of these new grads are going to work? It's a limited field to begin with.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

6 months ago

ThinkAgain in Cleveland, Ohio said: The question was not if ultrasound is a needed tool, this goes without saying.
The question is about new grads.

And you sound like a school to me. Techs don't argue if their modality is "important" or not.

Good point.
Experience is everything in medicine. A patient is trusting their life to the tech. The radiologist only sees what is presented to him.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.