ARDMS Ultrasound Certification vs. Accredited Sonography Program

Comments (1301 to 1330 of 1330)
Page:  « First « Previous   24  25  26  27   

Sonographersagainstardms in Mount Vernon, New York

29 months ago

Hello unregistered sonographers/ultrasound technicians

Are you finding it hard to get registered? Can't find a job?

Well it may be because ardms is to blame.
I want you guys to think about something .....
I think we need to point fingers at ARDMS. I would like anyone who completed a sonograhy/ultrasound program that was not "accredited" according to ARDMS to please email me with your story. It can be anonymous if you would like but make sure to have a valid email attached to your response so I can update you on what is going on.

If you have not been able to get registered please email me a 1-2 pages explanation on what it has been like. Tell me what school you attended, what year, what happened when you graduated. All the details you can give me would be great!

I will be submitting this to the organization that ARDMS is accredited through and make complaint about the strict and ridiculous criteria needed to take the exam. I will also point out how they have become the industry standard for licensing yet it is not required by law to be a licensed ultrasound technician through ARDMS. The reason almost 90 % of the medical facilites throughout the country have ARDMS as a requirement is because some how ARDMS has gotten the insurance companies that pay out to these facilites to require ARDMS as a licensing standard. You can't get a job because ARDMS has become a monopoly in the industry and set standard that many cannot live up to. This is greatly affecting our lives because many of us cannot get jobs or are being held back at work because we are not registered or rather cannot become registered because of their licensing requirements. Email me at sonographersagainstardms@gmail.com

I think a lot of sonographers are over looking ARDMS as possible catalyst to this problem.

Amber in Copiague, New York

28 months ago

Ok I am looking to go to school for diagnostic medical sonography. I went to school for two years for interior design and decided that it wasn't going to get me any where career wise. I am looking into going to Hunter Business School in Medford, NY for the Diagnostic MEdical Sonography program. My issue is they are not CAAHEP accredited, but they say as soon as your finished with the program you are eligible to sit for the ARDMS registry exam. What are employers really looking for? Is it true that vascular is the way to go? And if so is anyone in the field and doing good?

just say no in brooklyn, New York

28 months ago

Cheryl in Mission Viejo, California said: Parrish, Only attend a school that is CAAHEP accredited! Many employers won't even hire you if your school does not have the accredidation. It is important.
If you want to discuss further, e-amil me I am a tech. Cheratk@cox.net

Don't waste your time on ANY CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS!! I graduated with a BACHELOR'S DEGREE in Science (Ultrasound) and still can't find a job and it's been two years. But since I am a college graduate, I have options such as studying for my Master's or just look for a job working in an office which seems as though everyone needs to have at least a bachelor's degree nowadays just to work in an office and have a chance at a decent salary.

If you graduate with a certificate and can't find a job, you'll be so screwed! You will be in debt from the program and won't be able to find a job to pay back the debt.

Also, make sure IF you decide to go the certificate route, make sure the program is CAAHEP accredited, which unfortunately, most are not. Good luck.

28 months ago

Amber in Copiague, New York said: Ok I am looking to go to school for diagnostic medical sonography. I went to school for two years for interior design and decided that it wasn't going to get me any where career wise. I am looking into going to Hunter Business School in Medford, NY for the Diagnostic MEdical Sonography program. My issue is they are not CAAHEP accredited, but they say as soon as your finished with the program you are eligible to sit for the ARDMS registry exam. What are employers really looking for? Is it true that vascular is the way to go? And if so is anyone in the field and doing good?

Don't waste your time on a certificate program because if you don't get a job doing ultrasound you will be screwed. You paid all that money on a certificate education but you can't build upon it. I went to a four year college and graduated with a BS (bachelor's degree in science - ultrasound) and if I wanted to, I could continue my education and get a Master's degree or get a job in an office since it seems it takes at least a minimum education of a bachelor's degree to start off with a decent salary.

However, if you decide to go the certificate route...then make sure it's CAAHEP accredited. Good luck

There are no jobs out there and getting a certificate education is a waste of money if you can't find a job.

28 months ago

just say no in brooklyn, New York said: Don't waste your time on ANY CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS!! I graduated with a BACHELOR'S DEGREE in Science (Ultrasound) and still can't find a job and it's been two years. But since I am a college graduate, I have options such as studying for my Master's or just look for a job working in an office which seems as though everyone needs to have at least a bachelor's degree nowadays just to work in an office and have a chance at a decent salary.

If you graduate with a certificate and can't find a job, you'll be so screwed! You will be in debt from the program and won't be able to find a job to pay back the debt.

Also, make sure IF you decide to go the certificate route, make sure the program is CAAHEP accredited, which unfortunately, most are not. Good luck.

** sorry for posting on your post...I meant to post on someone else's and didn't realize I clicked on yours. ;)

joyce

28 months ago

That's ok for posting on wrong page. I've been on ultrasound for 12years and love it making lots of money. I have my ARDMS .Had people behind me to push me so that's how I made it
U have to surround yourself with positive people! So don't say NO!

joyce

28 months ago

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona said: You people are silly.
Accreditation doesn't matter when there are no jobs.

The reason you can't find a job has nothing to do with where you went to school, if you are good (how is this even being measured), and remember, every school tells you they are the best.

There are no jobs.

U r absolutely right!

Jen in Los Angeles, California

28 months ago

I just passed both OB and ABD with 680+. The flashcards I used are available for sale

ULTRA P.A.S.S Abdominal Sonography Registry Review Flashcards
ULTRA P.A.S.S Ob/GYN Sonography Registry Review Flashcards

I bought each for $57 plus tax and sell for $40 including shipping OBO. Paypal (personal).
(I do not have the CD tat comes with it, never used it and misplaced it)

These flashcards were awesome learning tool and I used them together with my school notes. Thank you J

email: bedros2004@hotmail.com

Michael in Nutley, New Jersey

28 months ago

Cynthia1984 in Old Bridge, New Jersey said: Hi i graduated school a year ago for Diagnostic medical sonography and echocardiograph. I havent been able to find a job. Im going to take my spi exam in 2 months. Every job i apply to says they want 2 years experience ive tried to see if i could shadow a sonographer to gain more experience its seems impossible. Does anyone have ideas on how to get more experience?

Hi, What school did you attend to?

Jane in New York, New York

27 months ago

Katie frm nyc said: I have been doing my research and a lot of it at that. If you live in nyc your best bet honestly is to go to Long Island University for the vascular sonography/technology program.
They are accredited by caahep & as soon as your done with ur schooling(12months) you can sit down to take the ardms exam. No problem!!! Trust me I have been rigorously trying to find out information ..correct info to go to the right school. They start in jan & aren't too expensive $20,000. I'm starting in Jan09 hope to see you there!! Gluck

Hey
I have read your comment and trying to understand what is a better fit at LIU brooklyn campus. I'm just wondering what is the difference between the certificate program in vascular technology and a Bachelor Degree in Diognostic Medical Sonography(asides from the finance)? I have been researching about this field for the past six months and not quiet sure which program is better and where is it easier to get a job in today's economy after graduation. Please give me an advice, it will help me a lot!!! Thank you in advance

eva in Clifton, New Jersey

27 months ago

cinn2kitty in East Rutherford, New Jersey said: i was looking in to going to hohokus for ultra sound.Is this worth it? or is sandforn brown a better choice?

Please do not go there. the school is not accredited. you need a school that is like sanford brown to muhlenberg. both are in new jersey. do not go to that school. i have heard horribe stories about it. they will take you money. they are not accredited

Michael in New York, New York

27 months ago

eva in Clifton, New Jersey said: Please do not go there. the school is not accredited. you need a school that is like sanford brown to muhlenberg. both are in new jersey. do not go to that school. i have heard horribe stories about it. they will take you money. they are not accredited

Did you attend to Eastwick college?

katia in Danbury, Connecticut

22 months ago

Mara in Rego Park, New York said: This is simple:
School: I went to UDS or what is now Sanford Brown in NY. At that time 2 days class 2 days lab . It should honestly have been 1 day class 3 days lab with the exception of the physics module which should be 3 days class 1 day lab.
Pass ARDMS. Physics is hard, not because of the material, but because you have to wrap your mind around something you can not see. You have to have great imagination and good memory. I studied 4 months for the physics test. REad the same books at least 3 times forward and backwards. No kidding! Specialty is up to each person. Peronally I went with AB and will be taking Breast in Ocotber.
You might be able to get a part time or two after you pass Physics but do not expect to get anything without at least passing that first stage.
Good luck!

I agree it should be 3 day's lab and 1 day lecture...

Maltin in Boynton Beach, Florida

21 months ago

Hello, everyone! Can you cross train in both in general and cardiac Sonography concurrently or do you have to train in one general first and then go back to school to train for cardiac or vice versa?

Madi in Newark, Arkansas

20 months ago

I am a teenage girl from Arkansas. When I graduate, would like to go into OBGYN sonograph. I would like too attend Central Florida Institute and go to the sonograph program. I have so many questions. If you have already graduated and are now a working ultrasound tech for an OBGYN then please email me asap.
Thank you!
madicoles@yahoo.com

Michelle000 in Florida

18 months ago

Madi in Newark, Arkansas said: I am a teenage girl from Arkansas. When I graduate, would like to go into OBGYN sonograph. I would like too attend Central Florida Institute and go to the sonograph program. I have so many questions. If you have already graduated and are now a working ultrasound tech for an OBGYN then please email me asap.
Thank you!
madicoles@yahoo.com

Go anywhere other than CFI. I went through their sonography program and only one person is working in the field. It's over saturated and their training was awful..especially OBGYN.

Michelle000 in Florida

18 months ago

Maltin in Boynton Beach, Florida said: Hello, everyone! Can you cross train in both in general and cardiac Sonography concurrently or do you have to train in one general first and then go back to school to train for cardiac or vice versa?

You typically learn General (ob, abdomen) or Vascular. But..you do get a little vascular training when you learn general…just not as advanced.

Michelle000 in Florida

15 months ago

i think our dream came true!! it looks like it's closing on their website and Facebook and it says they withdrew from their accreditation on caahep. finally!!! someone realized they are stealing everyones money with their poor quality education!!

Natasha in Matawan, New Jersey

15 months ago

Michelle000 in Florida said: i think our dream came true!! it looks like it's closing on their website and Facebook and it says they withdrew from their accreditation on caahep. finally!!! someone realized they are stealing everyones money with their poor quality education!!

Michelle? Whats closing???

Michelle000 in Florida

15 months ago

Central Florida Institute!

Donna Sceusa in New York, New York

3 months ago

Are you finding it hard to get registered? Can't find a job?

Well it may be because ardms is to blame.
I want you guys to think about something .....
I think we need to point fingers at ARDMS. I would like anyone who completed a sonograhy/ultrasound program that was not "accredited" according to ARDMS to please email me with your story. It can be anonymous if you would like but make sure to have a valid email attached to your response so I can update you on what is going on.

If you have not been able to get registered please email me a 1-2 pages explanation on what it has been like. Tell me what school you attended, what year, what happened when you graduated. All the details you can give me would be great!

I will be submitting this to the organization that ARDMS is accredited through and make complaint about the strict and ridiculous criteria needed to take the exam. I will also point out how they have become the industry standard for licensing yet it is not required by law to be a licensed ultrasound technician through ARDMS. The reason almost 90 % of the medical facilites throughout the country have ARDMS as a requirement is because some how ARDMS has gotten the insurance companies that pay out to these facilites to require ARDMS as a licensing standard. You can't get a job because ARDMS has become a monopoly in the industry and set standard that many cannot live up to. This is greatly affecting our lives because many of us cannot get jobs or are being held back at work because we are not registered or rather cannot become registered because of their licensing requirements. Email me at sonographersagainstardms@gmail.com

I think a lot of sonographers are over looking ARDMS as possible catalyst to this problem.

3 months ago

My Reply:
I understand the frustration of many recently graduated sonographers when they can't take the ARDMS registry. However, the frustration many of you feel should not be directed at ARDMS. Every health profession has to have high standards due to the nature of our work. People's lives are at risk when we send in poorly trained professionals to care for them. As a highly operator depend modality, if we don't do a thorough enough exam, the patient can get the wrong or a delayed diagnosis and treatment that could also included unnecessary invasive exams and procedures. Critical thinking skills must be nurtured to do this job. As a 37 year veteran, who has interviewed new sonographers, I find this skill and others lacking in many graduates, particularly from the proprietary or for profit schools. That being said, we need our accrediting bodies like Joint Commission, CMS Medicare/ Medicaid, as well as state regulatory and educational licensing boards to scrutinize the sonography programs. Even NY State, with one of the highest US standards, has no such credentialed MD/Sonographer team. Ardms is not a license, which I believe each state should issue. Only 2, New Mexico and Oregon do so at the moment. Meanwhile, future Sonography students need only ask program admission reps one question. That is, Can I take the ARDMS registry the day I graduate your program? If you can't get into an accredited program where you can do this, you need to go back, take biology, algebra and trigonometry, genetics, anatomy and physiology or what ever is required. Many of us in sonography feel there are times the competency bar is not held high enough. . Email me at newwavenyc@verizon.net
.[/

3 months ago

Maltin in Boynton Beach, Florida said: Hello, everyone! Can you cross train in both in general and cardiac Sonography concurrently or do you have to train in one general first and then go back to school to train for cardiac or vice versa?

My advise to you is do general first. You need to understand anatomy and physiology of the whole body before attempting an echocardiographic and or vascular sonography program. Split sonography program should not be allowed, in my opinion. I would not want someone scanning me with a partial sonography perspective. An example, when Dopplering the liver(general) how would you understand the causes of a highly phasic portal vein waveform without a full perspective. This can be due to tricuspid valve regurgitation or fluid overload just to name 2 causes.

Forkn in Knoxville, Tennessee

3 months ago

Hi Donna, you raise some interesting points that I'd like to dispute. It doesn't benefit a student to go through a 2 year general program if they only want to do echo. The only anatomy and physiology you need to know to do echo is the heart and lungs. In your example of a highly phasic portal vein; unless you also performed the echo on the same patient- how would you be expected to know if they had TR? In all the hospitals I've worked at; I've never seen one of the general techs look up an echo report before they did an exam and even if they did they wouldn't know what the report means. As far as the ARDMS; if a graduating student can't take it, that's on them. They should have researched the requirements before they entered the school and planned accordingly. If a student's dead set on getting into a field and paying the money to do it; being naïve isn't an excuse in 2015- there's the ARDMS website that will tell them exactly what they need to have. Finally, state licenses are a joke. Here's Oregon's license site www.oregon.gov/OBMI/pages/sonography_apps.aspx I looked at it and they require you to be registered and they want a $50 fee to check fingerprints for past criminal history. As you state, 90% of hospitals want ARDMS before they hire you and any hospital will do a background check on new employees. So, what added benefit does a state license requirement give to the patient? It's a scam that politicians use to make the public feel safer and a way for them to get a little extra cash from the techs.

xboxer in Cactus, Arizona

3 months ago

No jobs, folks, and all of this stuff is just theatrics to make you think you have some control over things. They sure want your money.

3 months ago

WTF?

xboxer in Cactus, Arizona

3 months ago

Forkn in Knoxville, Tennessee said: WTF?

Are you just playing clueless or do you really NOT know there are no jobs?

3 months ago

xboxer, are you high right now? If you're in a trailer with no job in the backwoods of Arizona, good for you, I'm not. Forget the potential students wanting to get into this line of work. You're a one trick pony; I'm writing about state licenses and ARDMS and all you've got to say is "no jobs"? No sh*%. Give it a rest.

Scott in Rancho Cucamonga, California

1 month ago

Jenn said: I went to West Coast Ultrasound in California for my sono program. They were able to place me at a really good extern sight!
Right after I finished my 1,000 hours, I moved to Austin, TX. At first I had a really hard time getting a job because the school wasn't CAAHEP, even though I did graduate with a lot of other accredidations. The only thing that saved me... to get a good job was my externship training! Everytime I went on an interview, they asked me the basic questions...CAAHEP, ARDMS? Finally, I begged my current employer to let me do a few scans for them. After they watched me, finally, I was hired.
Now that I've been working for a year, I'm getting ready to take the Vascular exam. I'm also kind-of freeking out. I heard it was really hard!
In TEXAS, they are not hiring new techs unless you are Vascular Certified!!!

What books do I need to study in order to pass? Are there any tutors in the Austin area willing to help. I will pay of course.
Thanks for any info.
Jenn - jennphillips000@yahoo.com

I'm thinking of enrolling into the ontario west coast ultrasound institute. what do you think? did you like it? were you able to get a job after?

tmarie in Middletown, New York

1 month ago

tracied in Doylestown, Pennsylvania said: You should also look into an 18 month program in Clifton, NJ called the American Institute. They offer both Cardiac and General and include all the necessary intern /extern hours to sit for the ARDMS. They also have locations in Connecticut and Florida. There is no waiting list and the cost is approx $30G. That includes all books, scrubs, lab coats, etc... It is specfically for people who have "real lives" and/or are looking to change careers. You have 2-3 evening online classes per week and if you are local, 2 mornings of clinical per week. If you are a "distance" student, you come in one weekend per month to get all your clinical hours. Mid-way into the program you start an internship near your home. You must have either a 2 yr degree in an allied health field, or a bachelor's degree in anything else to apply. I have a BA of fine arts. At the end of this program you can immediately take your certification tests. I am in my second semester, and so far so good. It is hard work, so wherever you go, you must be ready to buckle down and do your studies. I am mid 40's, so going back to school has been really hard. I am juggling a family, small home based business , and now school. But, if you want it, you can do it. Good luck. If you want any more info about this program, let me know. Tracie

Hello Tracie,

This question is in reference to the internship at the American Inst. You said you cannot do the internship unless you have a degree, but what if you have medical experience? Did you finish the program within 18mnths or did it take you longer? Would you recommend any other accredited Ultrasound programs near NJ/NY area?

Page:  « First « Previous   24  25  26  27   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.