Anyone started their own business?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

O08R10 in BCV, West Virginia

45 months ago

I am going to graduate this spring from Mountain State University. I have definitely noticed the decline in job opportunities sin first enrolling in school back in 2008. I have been thinking of joining an ultrasound franchise of some sort but not sure if I want to go the mobile diagnostic route or the non diagnostic 3D/4D OB route. If I did have my own company I would definitely make sure anyone working with me would be RDMS but I just don't know if this is something worthwhile or not. Any thoughts? Has anyone thought of doing this or done this?

Thanks!

L

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

ali in Hollywood, Florida

42 months ago

HI ANY PROGRESS
I AM ARDMS/RVT/ARDCS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cjaydb in Honolulu, Hawaii

35 months ago

if you opened your own ultrasound business would definitely need a doctor to work with you. In your case, a radiologist. He doesn't have to work in the same building as you, but he would need some method of transferring the studies you do to him so he could "read" them. Basically you pay the radiologist per study to read. However, the problem with this is, the way reimbursement is right now general ultrasound payments are crap. I know because the company I'm with used to do it, on average we pay about $50 for each study to be read. For echo, its ok since the reimbursement is on average about $250. Couple years ago, it was ridiculously high around $400-500+. Compared to general ultrasound, you'll be lucky to get around $75, which doesn't leave much room for you and your expenses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

patty in Troy, Michigan

22 months ago

Hi i am ardms. I am interested in taking breast registry and to also become rvt.Can anybody tell me what are the requirements to take registry. past 10 months i don't have a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Karry in Massachusetts

22 months ago

Ive gone to a 3d facility and did not need a dr order! The tech did find something wrong and she did have a radiologist that made a report, but i think she only did that when she found something wrong. I also want to do a 3d business but am still in school, so I have some time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

shaylene in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

21 months ago

karen in Houston, Texas said: I have my own 2d&3d machine, i want to start my own business , i just wanted to know any law or policy about opening up your own, and do u need to have physician order form from each patients to do 2d or 3d ultrasound ? is it mandatory ?

Not sure if you are still following this thread - but I do own a 3D4D elective center in PA. I have a few friends with centers in TX (Dallas, Houston, Austin and San Antonio). The law is TX is very strict and many have had their machines tagged by FDA. In TX you must have a physician ordering the ultrasound even if elective. How you get around this is having a doc that you pay monthly to write a blanket script for each person who comes in. There area also some strict paperwork requirements - I suggest you do your homework on this and cross your t's and dot your I's. Getting tagged is a rough and untagged is even more difficult. That being said - if you follow the rules in TX you should be OK. Your biggest issue after that is location - I do not suggest every trying to "piggy-back" a location that has been around awhile. They will always beat you at your own game. Do your homework - check demographics and pick a location that no one else is pulling from - you should do well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Karry in Massachusetts

21 months ago

Shaylene,

would you mind emailing me? sonostudent75@aol.com. I am just in a program right now but this is why I am going through with it. Ive always wanted to provide the 3d/4d elective procedures. Would be great to have some guidance. Nowhere near PA so would never be any competition :) Not sure why this says Im in MA either!

Thanks
Karry

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Marcia in Brooklyn, New York

21 months ago

Shaylene
Thank you for posting your comment! I'm really interested in opening a 3/4D business. If you have a time; I would really appreciate your guidance. You will be my angel. :-) please email me at freebodygoddess@yahoo.com
Thank you!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Sonogirl in Missouri City, Texas

20 months ago

I live in Texas and I currently own a diagnostic ultrasound facility and 3D/4D ultrasound center. You may email me if you need advice or if your interested in purchasing a 3D/4D ultrasound machine for a great price!
Email: tejeme@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NYCecho in Brooklyn, New York

14 months ago

Can someone who's a veteran in the mobile ultrasound business be kind enough to tell me what kind of certification/ license I need to bill for echo and vascular under my own company and any other helpful tips, Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

amysue71 in Fowlerville, Michigan

12 months ago

Shaylene -

I too am interested in pursuing the elective ultrasound business in Michigan. Any advice is appreciated, even if it's just to gain contacts in the industry. My email is amysue71@ymail.com. Thanks!!

sunshine71 in Bluffton, South Carolina

12 months ago

Wondering if you can tell me who would insure a 3d4d ultrasound company. I am having trouble finding a company that will. thanks for your help.. :)

shaylene in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Not sure if you are still following this thread - but I do own a 3D4D elective center in PA. I have a few friends with centers in TX (Dallas, Houston, Austin and San Antonio). The law is TX is very strict and many have had their machines tagged by FDA. In TX you must have a physician ordering the ultrasound even if elective. How you get around this is having a doc that you pay monthly to write a blanket script for each person who comes in. There area also some strict paperwork requirements - I suggest you do your homework on this and cross your t's and dot your I's. Getting tagged is a rough and untagged is even more difficult. That being said - if you follow the rules in TX you should be OK. Your biggest issue after that is location - I do not suggest every trying to "piggy-back" a location that has been around awhile. They will always beat you at your own game. Do your homework - check demographics and pick a location that no one else is pulling from - you should do well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hina22 in Columbia, Missouri

12 months ago

I am trying to move to houston,Tx and want to open my own 3d/4d ultrasound please guide me if anyone has any experience.

tech in Kamloops, British Columbia

7 months ago

I already have one of these businesses. I have learned so much along the way...if you need any thoughts or where to get a good us machine please email me...hopefully I can help you avoid some of the pitfalls holly.farris@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ambitiouswinslow in Odessa, Texas

6 months ago

Sonogirl in Missouri City, Texas said: I live in Texas and I currently own a diagnostic ultrasound facility and 3D/4D ultrasound center. You may email me if you need advice or if your interested in purchasing a 3D/4D ultrasound machine for a great price!

Hi I am currently a radiology student. I live in Texas and will be moving to Dallas once I graduate. Ultrasound will be my next hurdle to tackle. I am not quite sure what I want to do with this just yet besides making myself more marketable. I was wondering if owning that facility bring in a satisfactory amount of income for you. I am simply just trying to open my eyes to opportunities that could be available. Any helpful information would be appreciated.

tech in Kamloops, British Columbia

6 months ago

Just wanted to let people know, I just got wind of a couple of machines at a really great price...one comes with all AV equipment, waivers, and contacts for supplies that you will need to get started in your 3d/4d studio...email me, holly.farris@gmail.com. ...for details....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

teammcmicking@gmail.com in North Charleston, South Carolina

4 months ago

Sonogirl in Missouri City, Texas said: I live in Texas and I currently own a diagnostic ultrasound facility and 3D/4D ultrasound center. You may email me if you need advice or if your interested in purchasing a 3D/4D ultrasound machine for a great price!

We are currently looking into this business. Any input on start-up information or advise in general would be great. We are currently exploring the demographics in Charleston, SC.

Thanks,
Sean

sunshine71 in Bluffton, South Carolina

4 months ago

i live near charleston and can give you some info if you need yaj1014@aol.com.

Jennifer in Gibsonia, Pennsylvania

3 months ago

shaylene in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Not sure if you are still following this thread - but I do own a 3D4D elective center in PA. I have a few friends with centers in TX (Dallas, Houston, Austin and San Antonio). The law is TX is very strict and many have had their machines tagged by FDA. In TX you must have a physician ordering the ultrasound even if elective. How you get around this is having a doc that you pay monthly to write a blanket script for each person who comes in. There area also some strict paperwork requirements - I suggest you do your homework on this and cross your t's and dot your I's. Getting tagged is a rough and untagged is even more difficult. That being said - if you follow the rules in TX you should be OK. Your biggest issue after that is location - I do not suggest every trying to "piggy-back" a location that has been around awhile. They will always beat you at your own game. Do your homework - check demographics and pick a location that no one else is pulling from - you should do well.

Shaylene,

I am also in Pittsburgh and would love to sit down with you for lunch and pick your brain about the business. Please email me at jensalac@gmail.com

Joel Anderson in Jonesboro, Georgia

2 months ago

teammcmicking@gmail.com in North Charleston, South Carolina said: We are currently looking into this business . Any input on start-up information or advise in general would be great. We are currently exploring the demographics in Charleston, SC.

Thanks,
Sean

hello Yes I am looking to start a ultrasound imaging business and need advice on the first steps to take you can email me at : Joellee.anderson@gmail.com

ceefi in Sacramento, California

2 months ago

Hello Im in california and i'm interested in knowing how to go about starting an ultrasound or medical imaging center(business) as well. please email me with information if you are currently a business owner in the imaging field... my email address is ciara_fields@ymail.com thanks a bunch god bless! hope everyone can make their dreams into reality and make a profit off of the imaging business. Doing what you have a passion for is always worth it!

Andie in Madison, Tennessee

2 months ago

I am a RDCS and live in Indiana.
I have a portable machine and a
Physician to read. Can someone
Help me with the steps I need to
Take to start a portable service....
Please?!?
Thank you in advance for any ideas
Or suggestions!
My email is Ajonesafav@yahoo.com

Wan in Surrey, British Columbia

1 month ago

Just an off topic thing.

Anybody selling a portable color doppler?
Please let me know at wanriz@gmail.com

Thanks

Heather in Owosso, Michigan

1 month ago

cjaydb in Honolulu, Hawaii said: if you opened your own ultrasound business would definitely need a doctor to work with you. In your case, a radiologist. He doesn't have to work in the same building as you, but he would need some method of transferring the studies you do to him so he could "read" them. Basically you pay the radiologist per study to read. However, the problem with this is, the way reimbursement is right now general ultrasound payments are crap. I know because the company I'm with used to do it, on average we pay about $50 for each study to be read. For echo, its ok since the reimbursement is on average about $250. Couple years ago, it was ridiculously high around $400-500+. Compared to general ultrasound, you'll be lucky to get around $75, which doesn't leave much room for you and your expenses.

We pay our Rad. $20 to read a study! $50 is way to much! Your company needs a new Radiologist!

sandy in San Antonio, Texas

10 days ago

My husband and I had a company for a few years, but have decided to throw in the towel since we are expecting our second baby. It definitely takes a lot of time to run and keep up with, but I loved every second of it. If anyone is interested in starting up their own, I am actually starting to list my equipment for sale(and way under purchase price through any vendor). Email me anytime info@1stchoicesono.com , I would love to help!

TANIA V in Chicago, Illinois

4 days ago

Hi everybody!My husband and me just moved to Chicago, and we would get into the business of 3D and 4D ultrasound. someone who can give us some start up information or any advise, would appreciate a too much!! My email: tania.yesica@hotmail.com Thanks in advance!!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.