Diagnostic Medical Sonographer Program

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (46)

Tonya in Detroit, Michigan

89 months ago

Hi everyone. After too much time struggling and suffering, trying to find some direction for my life, I've finally done it. Sonography! I honestly can't imagine myself doing many other things. This genuinely speaks to me. My question is, what now? Do I need a general college education first, or can I go in directly toward my dream?

I've checked here: www.caahep.org/Find-An-Accredited-Program/ and the 'accredited' programs listed are offering two things: Certificate and Associate. What is the difference between the two? I want to be the best that I can be... so which direction is best for that?

And between Vascular and General Concentrations.... Does general also cover vascular? What do you all recommend?

Any additional tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm recently 27 and starting a bit late in life, but I've finally following a dream. So thank you.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Tonya in Detroit, Michigan

89 months ago

eve, what about the Oakland Community College-Southfield Diagnostic Medical Sonographer Program? It's on the caahep accredited list, and offers General concentration.... Do you think this is a good step? I don't understand what you mean about the prerequisites and the waiting list. So I'll have to do two years of regular education before I can get into my chosen field? How do I find out that information? How many years did it take you to finish? I'm guessing five, 4+1 year of clinic training? I don't expect anything to be easy... but how could it be difficult to find work with so many hospitals across the country? If you pay attention and apply yourself and end up skilled, why wouldn't it work out?

If you have any other advice or anything you can offer... please please reply. This is my dream, and reading about how you can't find work is scaring me. And it hurts, deeply, because I can't imagine doing anything else.

Reply - Report abuse

eve01ho in Trenton, Michigan

89 months ago

Im sorry Im not trying to scare you away from what you wanna do Im just telling you the facts. Now if your willing to relocate thats good because after I take my boards and get registered thats probably what im going to do if nothing works out for me here. I started school in 2003 finished my general classes in 2005 waited two years on the waiting list (because they have so many people applying and most schools only take 12-25 students for the program) then I got in in 2007 graduated 2008. Now OCC probably is a good school just call the program director and find out what you need to do, and if they have a wait list. There accreddited so I know you can take your boards as soon as you graduate. Once you are registered you will have a better chance at landing a job. So dont be afraid do your thang. You'll be okay Let me now if you have anymore questions.

Reply - Report abuse

MollyBee in Minneapolis, Minnesota

89 months ago

Hey Tonya
You should totally go for it! Yes, the jobs are hard to come by, but as people start to be employed again and the healthcare bill goes into effect, there will be more jobs. It is is scary, but if you want it and are willing to wait for it, you can do it.
YES, pick a CAAHEP school. If you graduate from a CAAHEP school and complete enough hours in your externship, you will be able to sit for your ARDMS exam immeadiately.
As far as prereq's, a certificate program will generally require you to have this done...you can get them at a community college. You usually need English, Communications, General Physics, Anatomy, Medical Terminology, and Algebra. If you go for an Associate's degree, you will probably do these your first semester or two at the school you go to. Once the actual sonogrpahy program starts, you start right away with learning the "trade". Some schools have a concurrent clincal training and some do it all at the end. There are ups and down to both. But the time spent learning this will be another 5-6 semesters. The waitlist comes into effect when too many people apply for a program. You are generally scored based on GPA and ACT scores and then ranked. Obviously the top ranked get in first, everyone else goes on a wait list. Check with the school on how they run their waitlist, some start it over every semester.
I suggest you get your AA in sonogrpahy if you have no other post-high school education. It shows you can write and do basic math and so on. Time wise, depending on your school, you will most likely spend 2-2 1/2 years earning your degree. That is if the school had 3 "semesters" per year. If you sit and pass your exams right away, *all* you need to do is find a job then. You do not need to work for a year.
As far as modality, it really is up to you. Like Eve said, you will probably have a chance to learn vascular later. If you do vascular first and only work in a vascular lab, you'll have a hard time ever learning other modalities.

Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Atlanta, Georgia

87 months ago

Hey Tonya, I actually live in the metro Detroit area and I'm currently a sonography student. The schools in this area have two year waiting list unless you go somewhere far. Jackson Community College has no waiting list and offers distant learning but it will require you to travel to campus often. I was in the same boat as you and I'm in my early 30's. I also went to the CAAHEP website and thats where I found Mountain State University. Its based in West Virginia but they offer an distance learning program. All classes are taken online but clinicals are actually in a clinic or hospital. They will find you a site close to your location. I just finished up my pre-req's and currently waiting my acceptance into the program. They offer an associates and a bachelors degree program. Check it out and see what you think. Jackson is also good if you don't mind doing some traveling. Really do your research and request information from schools that you're looking at. I have also heard that the job market is competitive and that you're better landing a job in another state, but there are jobs out there.

Reply - Report abuse

Emily in Durand, Wisconsin

86 months ago

Actually , the reason for the wait list and the small amount of students being accepted into the program is for the simple fact that schools want a higher job placement rate after graduation. My school has a ten year waiting list, but guaratees job placement after graduation. The actual field of sonography is a secure and stable working environment and jobs should not be hard to find. The salary is excellent. Out the of 35 graduates from my school in the past 2 years, all of the them have found jobs and the average salary is 3.8K and 5.5K a month. I am not sure why there is a belief that sonography jobs are hard to come by. Also, at my school, they do not place grades into consideration for admittance into the program, which really annoys me, because I already have a Bachelor's degree and have a 4.0 GPA....so, someone with lesser credentials gets in before me??? Makes no sense. I am currently taking the CNA course which is a prereq for the DMS program and I am 29. I don't really want to wait 10 years until I am almost 40 to get into this program. A definate bummer, but maybe there are other options to get ahead on the wait list.

Reply - Report abuse

Emily in Durand, Wisconsin

86 months ago

Wow, that was mighty rude. I actually graduated from the University of Minnesota....so, yes, I am pretty sure I have a bachelor's and a 4.0 from a very prestigious school. Also, each school in both MN and WI requires the CNA program prior to admittance to the DMS program. The CNA course is a general learning of how to take care of patients, regardless of being a nurse or a sonographer. So, I'm not sure as to how it has no relevance as you have stated. It's called being "well-rounded", which is why I believe this class would be required. Referring to someone as "Honey" clearly shows your level of education or what you may have attained from your education, as it is both disrespectful and innappropriate to refer to any individual in that context that you do not know. I never stated in my post that I would be waiting 10 years, because if you were reading and comprehending, you would have read my last statement and understood what I was conveying. I am looking at other options. I sure hope you are not pursuing the healthcare field, because it seems like you have terrible people skills, not to mention that you seem rude with have no tact. Typical of Michigan folks, though. Also, this is a forum to assist others with questions and so, if you are n ot here to do that, I suppose you should get off this page and clean some bedpans, since you seem to know so much about what a CNA does. The school that requires this is St. Kate's in MN, so why don't you go onto that website and check it out for your own good, it is one of the most prestigious schools for both nursing and sonography and it might do you some good to check out the website.

Reply - Report abuse

Fuega in Torrance, California

86 months ago

Hi Emily. I too have a BA and a high GPA and have to wait to get in a any accredited program. For me it is going to be about 5 years if I even get lucky. This is going to be my second career and I do not think I would wait that long so I am going to an unaccredited program and finish in less than 2 years since we would be able to sit for ARDMS right away anyway. I totally hear you and I don't understand why some people feel like they have the right to be mean and rude because they already have done this and that. That just says it does not take a lot of education to graduate in an ultrasound program. I certainly would not want to have someone like Donquisha here to scan me nor clean bedpans for anyone! By the way, I was in school for nursing and those who cleaned bedpans had more tact than that.

Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Hi Fuega, Where is the unaccredited program in your area? My daughter is thinking about the DMS program also and lives in the southern calif area. She was told by an unaccredited school she would have to do 1 year of on the job training before taking the ARDMS.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

86 months ago

Hi. I am talking about Newbridge College, they have 3 locations, one in Santa Ana, one in San Diego and one in Long Beach. I am going to the one in LB since it is a much shorter drive. If your daughter does not have a previous Bachelor's or an Associate degree from an allied health program, she does have to work 12 months before being able to sit for ARDMS. I would suggest she goes to an accredited school then because nowadays it's very difficult to get a job without the license.

Reply - Report abuse

Emily in Mondovi, Wisconsin

86 months ago

Thank you, Fuega! It is nice to hear from someone with a brain who is on this site to actually get some support and advice! It is so frustrating to work so hard in school and get good grades only to have to be passed up by people such as one on this site who's name can remain anonymous, because they might be ahead on a waiting list, but clearly have no skills relevant to working with people in the sonography field or any other medical field for that matter. We will get there and no, it probably is not worth waiting 6 to 10 years, but there are plenty of schools and it may just require some extra steps, such as relocation, perhaps.
Hey Donquisha~yes, I'm talking to you EVE, have you ever heard of a typographical error, you can clearly see that was one, but that's all you can get on me to try and put me down, which is all you want to do on this site and it's clearly not appreciated. Try and be a happier person and I'm so sorry that you have nothing better to do than come on this site and pick on people that have higher credentails, grades, and better schooling than you.

Reply - Report abuse

Emily in Mondovi, Wisconsin

86 months ago

Emily in Mondovi, Wisconsin said: Thank you, Fuega! It is nice to hear from someone with a brain who is on this site to actually get some support and advice! It is so frustrating to work so hard in school and get good grades only to have to be passed up by people such as one on this site who's name can remain anonymous, because they might be ahead on a waiting list, but clearly have no skills relevant to working with people in the sonography field or any other medical field for that matter. We will get there and no, it probably is not worth waiting 6 to 10 years, but there are plenty of schools and it may just require some extra steps, such as relocation, perhaps.
Hey Donquisha~yes, I'm talking to you EVE, have you ever heard of a typographical error, you can clearly see that was one, but that's all you can get on me to try and put me down, which is all you want to do on this site and it's clearly not appreciated. Try and be a happier person and I'm so sorry that you have nothing better to do than come on this site and pick on people that have higher credentails, grades, and better schooling than you.

*credentials*, excuse me....I'm not perfect....

Reply - Report abuse

jvc in Merced, California

86 months ago

Does anyone know how long you scan (train) in school before you are sent to a clinical site?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

jvc in Merced, California

86 months ago

jvc in Merced, California said: Does anyone know how long you scan (train) in school before you are sent to a clinical site?

bump

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

EML in Mondovi, Wisconsin

86 months ago

First off, the University of Minnesota is one of the best research oriented schools in the country for many programs. Also, home of the Mayo Clinic, which is an extremely well known research hospital and the best in the midwest. SO, whatever that snide comment was about from the individual in Alpene, MI....check your information.

Reply - Report abuse

Emily Michele in Mondovi, Wisconsin

86 months ago

My bachelor's degree was obtained before my daughter was born and prior to my divorce and I intended on attending a Doctoral Program in Clinical Psych at the University of Wisconsin-Madison(the #6 ranked school in the country for that program) and had a position lined up at the MN Bureau of Criminal Apprehension in the homicide investigation unit performing profiling work. I am a single mother and therefore being on call as well as doing a doctoral program was not going to be attainable.

Reply - Report abuse

emilylarson in Wisconsin

86 months ago

EML in Mondovi, Wisconsin said: First off, the University of Minnesota is one of the best research oriented schools in the country for many programs. Also, home of the Mayo Clinic, which is an extremely well known research hospital and the best in the midwest. SO, whatever that snide comment was about from the individual in Alpene, MI....check your information.

Traverse City individual....Kate? Check yourself!

Reply - Report abuse

emilylarson in Wisconsin

86 months ago

Emily Larson in Wisconsin said: Traverse City individual....Kate? Check yourself!

Sorry about that, not Aldene, MI...don't want to accuse the innocent!

Reply - Report abuse

emilylarson in Wisconsin

86 months ago

Eve, I am originally from NY, Long Island to be exact! So, good try with the Wisconsin comment. I have been around and am a bit cultured, try it.

Reply - Report abuse

emilylarson in Wisconsin

86 months ago

Emily Larson in Wisconsin said: Alpena...I apologize for my comment at you, it was meant for Kate in Traverse CIty and yes, I am a bit flustered at why people have to get on here when they supposedly already have careers and schooling, what exactly are you attempting to help out with on here if all you're going to do is shut everybody down with nasty comments???! Super flustered, can't even type right....sorry, oh, so sorry, take a shot at me know folks!

*now...oh and Eve....want to clarify about the stereotyping~I was married to a man from Africa and have a mixed baby with him....so, what are you insinuating? I don't have issues with anyone, only ignorant people who think they know it all!

Reply - Report abuse

Nikki10 in Canton, Michigan

86 months ago

I am currently a pre-DMS student and looking for job shadowing in the greater metro detroit area. I'm having a hard time trying to find shadowing. I call places but they tell me that they don't do job shadowing. I need a minimum of 30 hours for extra points into my program. Do anyone know of any places in Michigan where I can shadow? Or are there any sonographers on here that will allow me to shadow them?

Reply - Report abuse

emilylarson in Wisconsin

86 months ago

Couldn't agree more. This has gotten ridiculous and it started over an attempt to find advice on a sonography program, I will go look elsewhere, since this forum has been of little to no assistance.

Reply - Report abuse

ultrasound tech in Santa Clara, California

86 months ago

avabluesub in Peoria, Arizona said: I also have to do job shadowing and dont't really know where to start. I've checked out hospital websites and cannot find anything. How does one go about this? Also, I'm looking to apply to several schools (exact ones TBD) and each one has their own form to document the shadowing. Isn't it OK to just get a signed letter on letterhead from the facility you shadowed at as proof?

I would just call places and ask for someone in the HR department or the director of diagnostic imaging. Try some small imaging centers as well as clinics for ppl with low income or no insurance. It might not be the ideal place but sometimes they are more willing to take on students.

I went to west coast ultrasound institute in beverly hills. I think they opened one in pheonix. There's a lot of bad mouthing about the school but I actually had good lab teachers. It's really what you put into it. But if you don't have your AA or BA I would say stay with the one you are trying to get into. You won't be able to sit for the ARDMS without that or you need 1 year of paid work and most places are looking for ARDMS sonographers with experience so it's hard to get that 1 year.

Reply - Report abuse

ultrasound tech in Santa Clara, California

86 months ago

If the school is requiring certain forms I would use those forms. Some schools may not be too picky about it but some might be. However, if the place you shadow at is willing to write you a recommendation on top of signing those forms I would get that from them. Even though you are just shadowing they will see your personality and how dedicated you are. It doesn't hurt to have that =)

Reply - Report abuse

cherrypie55901 in Rochester, Minnesota

83 months ago

Speaking of Minnesota...the Mayo Clinic has a DMS and an Echo program. I believe last time I checked all of their students found employment within a year of graduation :-)

Reply - Report abuse

CICI in Naples, Florida

81 months ago

I have my bachelors in Biology; however, I am thinking about getting my Masters in health science with a specialization in vascular sonography. Do you think its best to go this route or to just go to a two year college? There is a huge cost difference between these schools so I am wondering with that masters degree will I be able to pay it off? Please help

Thank you

Reply - Report abuse

taylor in Dearborn, Michigan

69 months ago

Tonya in Detroit, Michigan said: eve, what about the Oakland Community College-Southfield Diagnostic Medical Sonographer Program? It's on the caahep accredited list, and offers General concentration.... Do you think this is a good step? I don't understand what you mean about the prerequisites and the waiting list. So I'll have to do two years of regular education before I can get into my chosen field? How do I find out that information? How many years did it take you to finish? I'm guessing five, 4+1 year of clinic training? I don't expect anything to be easy... but how could it be difficult to find work with so many hospitals across the country? If you pay attention and apply yourself and end up skilled, why wouldn't it work out?

If you have any other advice or anything you can offer... please please reply. This is my dream, and reading about how you can't find work is scaring me. And it hurts, deeply, because I can't imagine doing anything else.

hey i was wondering if you got into the program or not? id like to know because im also looking for a school

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

taylor in Dearborn, Michigan

69 months ago

Nikki10 in Canton, Michigan said: I am currently a pre-DMS student and looking for job shadowing in the greater metro detroit area. I'm having a hard time trying to find shadowing. I call places but they tell me that they don't do job shadowing. I need a minimum of 30 hours for extra points into my program. Do anyone know of any places in Michigan where I can shadow? Or are there any sonographers on here that will allow me to shadow them?

what school did u go to?

Reply - Report abuse

BSmith in Saint Augustine, Florida

68 months ago

Wow it's really quite annoying to see this forum saturated with comments from a person who clearly likes talking about them self (Emily) and their wonderful assets and "credentials" (gag me)! Having a bachelors degree especially one in psychology is like graduating high school now a day's (not something to brag about). Getting back onto the subject the real reason this forum was created... Oh right, Sonography!! Has anyone else really struggled with the Physics in the curriculum? It's awful and I'm just not sure I am cut out to truly "get it". Does anyone know how much actual physics is on the ARDMS?

Reply - Report abuse

BSmith in Saint Augustine, Florida

68 months ago

Lol. Your quite hilarious! You really like tooting your own horn. I don't give a rats *** , I didn't bother wasting my time reading your post. This forum is dedicated to SONOGRAPHY. So get off it already. I have an under grad BS in Psych, and HA. I'm not boosting about how I got accepted into one of the most PRESTIGIOUS Sonography programs in the country (Mayo) here in Jacksonville, FL. They accept 2 students every year out of 200 that apply, yea that's right 2. Unlike you I don't have to talk about all my accomplishments to feel recognized. Now back to the matter at hand. This post is fir grown adults only , those who are registered or pursuing education in Sonography. I'm in my 8th month in the program and struggling with Vascular Physics. Any suggestions on how to sharpen my physics skills in the Vascular focus?

Reply - Report abuse

BSmith

68 months ago

It's quite apparent you enjoy confrontation and indulge in verbal sparring with complete strangers over the internet (I've counted four people on this forum alone). You are pathetic and tired. I am not entertaining your silly outbursts any further. I don't have to explain myself to you, because it looks like (from reading this forum) that you have managed to single handedly pollute a professional forum with your garbage and verbal nonsense. GROW UP. If you were acutally educated and thought things through before you spoke (in this case type) you wouldnt be ignorantly posting things. The Sonography program @ Mayo does accept 10 students, 8 from Rodchester, and 2 from Jax. I just wanted to properly educate you so you dont go around infecting people with your stupidity. I am really unsure why you are on this forum at all ? If you need a place to toot that horn of yours I'm sure there is another place you can do it where people such as your self would enjoy hearing all about it. In the mean time BEAT IT, you have no business here. This forum is for professionals who have a focused career path and are seeking help from other professionals not morons like you. Good Day! :)

Reply - Report abuse

cherrypie55901 in Saint Paul, Minnesota

68 months ago

Emily probably isn't impressed with Mayo because they turned her down when she tried to apply there...

Reply - Report abuse

KimB in Scarborough, Ontario

62 months ago

Hi,

I've been trying to figure out the right path get into Sonography. I live in Canada and there are only 3 schools in my area that offer it and its a post grad diploma for those who already have a Bachelor of Science in a health related field with patient care. I have a Bachelor of Arts and want to pursue a second career in sonography. Based on the ARDMS prerequisites I could apply under 3A, but I would still need 12 months of PAID experience (who is going to hire me without formal training?).

I want to get an Associate in Sonography as a direct path but they aren't offered in my city. I've looked at a few online schools offering this program, but again they are reserved for existing Allied Professional or BSc holders.

Any suggestion on Accredited schools accepting applicants from outside the USA, and without Allied experience?

Also, any experience with non CAAHEP accredited schools with graduates who have successfully landed a job in Sono?

Thanks in advance for your help :-)

Reply - Report abuse

Karen in El Paso, Texas

53 months ago

hi everyone. I just wonder if anyone can help me please in this decision. I really like the diagnostic medical sonography program which im in process right now just staring it but if I would need a second option I will go for the Respiratory care program. The first program I would choose it would be the Sonography but people had tell me there is a waiting list and that is hard to get in, and if this is true I don't want to be waiting too much since I would get more older and the earlier the best since I need to start working the soon as possible. Can anyone tell me what would be the best and tell me if im wrong about the waiting list?

Reply - Report abuse

sheevster in Palm Springs, California

50 months ago

Fuega in Torrance, California said: Hi Fuega, Where is the unaccredited program in your area? My daughter is thinking about the DMS program also and lives in the southern calif area. She was told by an unaccredited school she would have to do 1 year of on the job training before taking the ARDMS.

I just visited a community campus yesterday and they also told me that their program was not accredited. I would have to intern for a year before taking the test.

Reply - Report abuse

brianaaa_14 in Meriden, Connecticut

29 months ago

Hi, everyone. So I came across this and was wondering if anyone can answer a few questions. I'm an upcoming senior in high school and have planned to take the career path of DMS over the last year. I have tried to do a lot of research, but I'm still confused. In a few months I have to start applying to colleges, but I don't know where. Where do I start? I have also looked at the CAAHEP accredited programs. Do I find a school that has the associates? And those are the ones I apply for?

If anyone could reply to this, I would greatly appreciate it. I want to do this right. Thank you so much.

Reply - Report abuse

Borkn in Pensacola, Florida

29 months ago

brianaa 14, I'd go to the school that was accredited with CAAHEP and I go for the one with the highest level of education; bachelors over associates. I believe that in the northeast a bachelors degree will provide better long term opportunities over an associates. Not necessarily more money, just better job expectations. Try Yale for example, jk. Good luck.

Reply - Report abuse

HMarie in Rochester, Minnesota

29 months ago

I also think that getting your bachelors degree vs associates is the best way to go if you want to make yourself as marketable as possible. Also, if you think you may be interested in a leadership or educational role later on a bachelors will serve you better. I also know several sonographers that started out with an associates degree and went back for a bachelors degree later…that is always an option!

(I work for a CAAHEP accredited program)

Reply - Report abuse

Edith Finch in London, United Kingdom

27 months ago

Tonya in Detroit, Michigan said: (...) This is my dream, and reading about how you can't find work is scaring me. And it hurts, deeply, because I can't imagine doing anything else.

Hi, I hope you are doing well. Not sure what stage you are at but - if you are following that track - would you consider relocating to the UK??? There are not enough sonographers here, e.g. at the moment there are 169 jobs available throughout the UK (only through 1 agency, and there tons of them): www.globelocums.co.uk/find-a-job/division/Sonography-Jobs

Reply - Report abuse

NHS0782 in Portland, Oregon

27 months ago

Edith Finch in London, United Kingdom said: Hi, I hope you are doing well. Not sure what stage you are at but - if you are following that track - would you consider relocating to the UK??? There are not enough sonographers here, e.g. at the moment there are 169 jobs available throughout the UK (only through 1 agency, and there tons of them): www.globelocums.co.uk/find-a-job/division/Sonography-Jobs

Hi everyone. I was a cardiologist and cardiac sonographer outside US. I live in Oregon. I just recieved my MD conformation papaers. I'm planning to take ARDMS SPI and AE exams. Can anybody tell me please, do I need only ARDMS registered sonographer's letter and CV and how can I find a sponsoring sonographer if there wasn't any ARDMS registered sonographer in my country? I really need an advice. I would appreciate any help.
My email is nellykHS@gmail.com.
Thank you.

Reply - Report abuse

xboxer in Cactus, Arizona

27 months ago

Tonya in Detroit, Michigan said: eve, what about the Oakland Community College -Southfield Diagnostic Medical Sonographer Program? It's on the caahep accredited list, and offers General concentration.... Do you think this is a good step? I don't understand what you mean about the prerequisites and the waiting list. So I'll have to do two years of regular education before I can get into my chosen field? How do I find out that information? How many years did it take you to finish? I'm guessing five, 4+1 year of clinic training? I don't expect anything to be easy... but how could it be difficult to find work with so many hospitals across the country? If you pay attention and apply yourself and end up skilled, why wouldn't it work out?

I know this is an old post, but when someone says "this is my dream" and "I can't imagine doing anything else", it makes me think it's someone who will make money off the whole school thing.
What person, who never worked in a profession, calls it "my dream"? "I want to be the best I can be" is another odd statement.

If they think the job is easy, they are wrong, it's brutal.
If they think they are going to have a life outside work, they are wrong.

When someone trivializes a hard job like this, it makes me wonder if this is a real person, or something else...
They simply see someone doing the job and have no idea how hard it really is.

Reply - Report abuse

Janelle in Layton, Utah

27 months ago

Nicole in Atlanta, Georgia said: Hey Tonya, I actually live in the metro Detroit area and I'm currently a sonography student. The schools in this area have two year waiting list unless you go somewhere far. Jackson Community College has no waiting list and offers distant learning but it will require you to travel to campus often. I was in the same boat as you and I'm in my early 30's. I also went to the CAAHEP website and thats where I found Mountain State University. Its based in West Virginia but they offer an distance learning program. All classes are taken online but clinicals are actually in a clinic or hospital . They will find you a site close to your location. I just finished up my pre-req's and currently waiting my acceptance into the program. They offer an associates and a bachelors degree program. Check it out and see what you think. Jackson is also good if you don't mind doing some traveling. Really do your research and request information from schools that you're looking at. I have also heard that the job market is competitive and that you're better landing a job in another state, but there are jobs out there.

I'm trying to figure out everything step by step & it's stressing me out so bad. If I'm in a state that doesn't have an accredited school what should I do? I know this is what I want to do. Should I do my regular generals while on a wait list? Do my generals then go to Jackson when I'm done with that? Or move to a state that has one & live there for a year so I can get the resident tuition discount? I'm just so in the dark & feel like the more I look into it the further behind I feel.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Andrew Zinovyev in Swampscott, Massachusetts

27 months ago

Hello!
For all ultrasound specialists and those, who're interested in buying/selling medical equipment I advice to visit Bimedis.com (Medical Equipment Marketplace, convenient to both buyers and sellers).
Here to your kind attention you can see large quantity of brand new and used medical equipment with the detailed technical data and prices, including MRI, CT, ultrasound scanners, tranceducers and many others.

Reply - Report abuse

Karry in Massachusetts

27 months ago

You should move to an area with caheep program. You'll be given clinical sites that will help you and maybe get hired by one, otherwise you may need to find your own which may be ok if you don't have lical students to compete with. Do classes near home while on waitlist and move when needed.

Reply - Report abuse

SLPA2be in California

7 months ago

Fuega in Torrance, California said: Hi. I am talking about Newbridge College , they have 3 locations, one in Santa Ana, one in San Diego and one in Long Beach. I am going to the one in LB since it is a much shorter drive. If your daughter does not have a previous Bachelor's or an Associate degree from an allied health program, she does have to work 12 months before being able to sit for ARDMS. I would suggest she goes to an accredited school then because nowadays it's very difficult to get a job without the license.

Do not go to Newbridge. they have been sued and it's not state accredited

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Pili in Miami, Florida

6 months ago

Hi everyone. I was a radiology and prenatal sonographer outside US. I'm from cuban but I live in miami now. and my university isn"t recognized in us but I'm planning to start studying diagnostic medical sonographer program and after to take ARDMS . Can anybody tell me please, do if i need to pass the college agan , or what documents do I need to start studying this career here in us. I really need an advice. I would appreciate any help.
My email is pilarpiri15@gmail.com
Thank you.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.