Diagnostic Medical Sonography

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 454)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Stephanie in El Paso, Texas

78 months ago

I'm 21 years old and want to be a ultrasound technician.I currently am going to the El Paso Community College. To get in to this program you have to get ranked. Does anyone know of any other programs that I can just go straight in to this program. Or even any advice from any ultrasound technicians.Thanks, it would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (106) / No (33) Reply - Report abuse

Anna in Middle Village, New York

77 months ago

Stephanie...go with college. I know people say it doesn't matter where you go to school...it's all about scanning. Well, that's not true. If you go to an unaccredited school no hospital will hire you to work for that year you need to qualify taking the registry exams, so it becomes a Catch-22. Why would hospitals want to risk you working for them when there are people graduating from accredited schools? You could usually tell if a school's unaccredited:: there's tons of students in their programs. An accredited school don't take tons of students because they have to have affilated clinical sites for you guys to go to WHILE in school, not AFTER YOU GRADUATE! These stupid tech schools let their students "graduate" their program and their students never practiced in a hospital but on each other!! That is non-sense. You must be in a hospital so that you get experience scanning people of all shapes, sizes and ages. It's easy to scan on a young thing person who chances are, is healthy. But what about scanning a person who is 300lbs and old? How do you learn to spot pathology when all you do is only scan healthy adults? Go onto all the other forums and see what 100's of people who like CALIFORNIA in Desert Hot Springs, who owe $25k and can't find a job to pay off the debt. Better safe than sorry, beside college usually costs ALOT less! Good luck! I hope this helped you in making your decision. :o)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

JEANNE in Ramsey, New Jersey

68 months ago

Nicole in Waco, Texas said: Can anyone if the field please elaborate on the difference between a diagnostic med sonographer and US tech? My hubby is in a DMS program, but I have spoken to an US tech. She asked me what the difference was, and I didn't know. She also said the field was flooded and the hours were horrendous. I couldn't find anything on the occupational outlook handbook- for US tech they direct you to diagnostic med sonography page. Are they one in the same?

A diagnostic medical sonographer and a certified ultrasound technologist are the same thing. Ultrasound "tech" refers to technologist not technician. As you read in some of the other comments, you should go to a college program that is JCCHO accredited or an independant ultrasound school that is JCCHO accredited. What this means is the program meets government standards in teaching ultrasound that meets with the requirements a student would attain in order to become board certified once finished with the program. This means that the student is competent to perform an ultrasound and has acquired the knowledge in ultrasound physics to operate ultrasound equipment approprietly for each individual patient body habitus and for all the diffent ultrasound exams. As far as hours go.....if you get a job in a hospital you will have to rotate call on a regular basis. If you get a job in an outside diagnostic imaging facility the hours and usually the salary are better, but those facilities require several years experience so that they know you can work independantly and make medical decisions and diagnosis on your own. Definitely any reputable hospital or diagnostic facility will only hire someone who has gone to an accredited program and is registry eligible or someone who is already registered by the ARDMS. You can go on to the ARDMS website and find a ton of info. Hope this helps.

Jeanne Gray Amato, RDMS,RDCS,RVT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Austin, Texas

68 months ago

What the heck is "JCCHO"? I've never heard of that and didn't pull up anything when I googled it. I don't think you're referring to JCAHO since that is the group that accredits hospitals, not ultrasound programs.

CAAHEP is the programmatic accreditation you should be looking for.

I agree that diag med sonographer and US tech are two different names for the same occupation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jeanne in Westwood, New Jersey

68 months ago

Sorry.....it is JCAHO that accredits ultrasound schools. Did you go on the ARDMS web site?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Nicole in Waco, Texas

68 months ago

Thanks so much!! We were debating between nuc med and dms, and I'm so glad for these forums. Apparently there are no jobs in nuc med, but of course none of the schools will tell you this. I hope we can count on dms. Also, his school offers specialties in abdominal, echo, vascular and ob. Any thoughts regarding the benefits in job availability and/or pay with these?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tesha in Atlanta, Georgia

68 months ago

ultrasound21 in Schaumburg, Illinois said: If basics in ultrasound physics before you start the class, try RITE Start Ultrasound Physics (you can find it at www.riteadvantage.com ) Each question builds upon itself so you get a good understanding. Half the people in my class failed physics, I credit the 93% I got to RITE Start software.

Just wanted to know if you were enrolled directly into the DMS program or did u have to take Medical Assisting course first?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Angelina in Saint Augustine, Florida

66 months ago

Jeanne,
I have been looking into do DMS programs and proper accreditation. According to ARDMS if you attend an accredited 2 year program you still need 12 month experience that does not overlap with your clinicals and this experience cannot be volunteer -- it must be paid. How do graduates obtain this experience? Wouldn't employers just not hire them and choose already ARDMS certified applicants particularly if as mentioned above the market is flooded. The only CAAHEP certified program in my area is a hospital program that takes only 6 students and requires 40 hour weeks. Is the market really flooded? I live in Florida. Any advice you can offer would truly appreciated.

Thank you very much.
Angelina

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jeanne in Hillsdale, New Jersey

66 months ago

Angelina in Saint Augustine, Florida said: Jeanne,
I have been looking into do DMS programs and proper accreditation. According to ARDMS if you attend an accredited 2 year program you still need 12 month experience that does not overlap with your clinicals and this experience cannot be volunteer -- it must be paid. How do graduates obtain this experience? Wouldn't employers just not hire them and choose already ARDMS certified applicants particularly if as mentioned above the market is flooded. The only CAAHEP certified program in my area is a hospital program that takes only 6 students and requires 40 hour weeks. Is the market really flooded? I live in Florida. Any advice you can offer would truly appreciated.

Thank you very much.
Angelina

Angelina,
OK.....if you go to the ARDMS website and look at the examination prerequisite chart...look at prerequisite 2. This states that if you go to a diagnostic medical sonography program that is CHEA approved....you do not have to work a year in the field in order to take your boards. I know it is difficult to get into one of these programs. As you can see they can only select a small numbre of students per year, it was the same when I went to school...they only accepted 12 students per year. Find out what they base thier decision on choosing their students. See if they will let you speak to a past graduate. If you really want to get in to the program ... be persistant. Express to the program director how much you want to enter a top program, how serious you are about learning from the best instructors so that you can be a valuable asset to the health care community. But definitely you won't have to work for a year in order to take your boards. If you are still confused call the ARDMS and ask them to explain which programs require you to do an additional 12 month clinical exprience and which don't require this. Hope this has helped....good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Hi Jeanne,

I have been to the ARDMS prereq. page and do understand the difference between the 2 year program that requires the additional 12 month exp. versus the CAAHEP accredited programs. In my area there is only one CAAHEP accredited program and it is a hospital program (that accepts only 6 students), but there are other 2 year programs available. My question is how do you get the paid 12 months experience if you graduate from a 2 year program that is not CAAHEP accredited?

Thank you for your help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anna in Ridgewood, New York

65 months ago

Angelina: You will have to go and apply to hospitals and see if they will hire you without being registered. I may be wrong, but if there's really such a big shortage of accredited schools in your area, the hospitals in your area may take that in account and hire you with a time line of you must obtain your registery within a year or two from the date of hire. So what I would strongly suggest is practice, practice, practice your scanning skills. Your interview to any place you apply to work at will be you scanning abilities. So if you could impress them with your skills and you're not accredited, you may get your foot in the door. Also, contact your local hospital and see if you could speak to them and see what they recommend. They are obviously aware of the fact there's only one accredited program in your area. See how they hire people. It may take some leg work by you, but it will really give you an excellent feel of what to expect if you go to an unaccredited school. Good luck. :o)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jeanne in Allendale, New Jersey

65 months ago

Hi Angelina,

If you go to a 2 year that requires 12 months experience in the field in order to make you registry eligible, hospitals and diagnostic centers may hire you at a lower rate, but you would get the experience and then be able to take your boards. Your best bet is to contact the hospitals and diagnostic centers in your area and ask them what their policies are. Good luck!

65 months ago

Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Angie in Kansas City, Missouri

65 months ago

I'm also looking into this profession.

I have a school that is in my area that is accredited. I was reading their requirements to be accepted into the program. It listed out College Pre-Requisites along with ONE credential of the list of credentials they had.

My question is, How do you get a credential in Radiologic Technology? It says you can also be "Registry Eligible" to be accepted. How do you get this? If you have taken the courses that gave you pre-requisites of Math, Physics, Biology or Anatomy & Physiology, Medical Terminology, Introduction to Patient Care, and Communication, then how do you get a credential in radiology? Is this another class in a college? I'm Confused.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jeanne in Westwood, New Jersey

65 months ago

It sounds to me like they want you to be an x-ray tech first which is totally not required too be an ultrasound tech. Be wary of programs that require unneccessary prerequisites to make money. Call the school and make sure you have the right information. Then call the ARDMS and ask them to recommend a school in your area. Good luck!

Jeanne Gray Amato RDMS,RDCS,RVT

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rukiya in Miami, Florida

65 months ago

I am about to enroll in keiser university for vasular sonographor and i wanted to know can i still get the same job as a medical sonographor and do they get paid the same?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

If you are just taking a course in vascular that is all you will be able to practice. Vascular techs do tend to make a little bit more money because they are in such high demand. However, you will still have to pass vascular ultrasound physics and the vascular specialty in order to be registered ,RVT. The exams are extremely difficult...make sure the program you are going to is accredited. There are questions on the exam about the types of vascular studies that are outdated and no longer performed. Make sure you go to a good vascular registry review course before you sit for your boards....they always go over the obscure stuff that will be on the exams. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Valli in Houston, Texas

65 months ago

I am a student but I wnated to know is there a high demand for DMS?

peggy in Andover, Minnesota

65 months ago

I'm getting very frustrated trying to find colleges accredited by JCAHO in Minnesota. Many claim to be but aren't. I can't seem to get anything definitive. HELP!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Austin, Texas

65 months ago

Peggy, JCAHO accredits health care facilities, not colleges. If you are interested in attending an accredited ultrasound program, you should be looking for CAAHEP accreditation, which you can do by going to the CAAHEP website: www.caahep.org

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Copy of Another Post in Vallejo, California

65 months ago

Valli in Houston, Texas said: I am a student but I wnated to know is there a high demand for DMS?

No there is not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

There is always work for good techs. The person who says there is no demand for ARDMS ultrasound techs doesn't know what they are talking about. They probably can't get a fob because they just aren't a good tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Miss Mitzi in Clarkston, Michigan

65 months ago

jeanne in Westwood, New Jersey said: There is always work for good techs. The person who says there is no demand for ARDMS ultrasound techs doesn't know what they are talking about. They probably can't get a fob because they just aren't a good tech.

Hello, I am in Michigan and all jobs are scarce. I am currently in the nursing program at a local community college. After spending two days a week at a hospital I am rethinking if I really want to be in charge of 6-7 (maybe more patients per day) - results of medications etc. THe program is terribly stressful and I am exhausted, but managing to get good grades. I have been a dental hygienist for 20 years. I am considering changing over to ultrasound sonographer because it is one patient at a time (don't need to worry about shots and medications, less stress to me. I have a strong math background. However, I do not see many jobs posted for sonographers. I am concerned about this. Let me know what anyone thinks. If I stay in the program, I am hoping I will feel more comfortable with the hospital setting - it makes me nervous (anxious inside). Gut instinct is to quit, but I am not sure if it is all the stress going along with the whole program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

aidenahij in Miami, Florida

65 months ago

is there anyone who have graduated or currently attending iamp for diagnostic medical sonography. wanted some info on them and how much it cost for the program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

gemi1983 in Hollywood, Florida

65 months ago

aidenahij in Miami, Florida said: is there anyone who have graduated or currently attending iamp for diagnostic medical sonography. wanted some info on them and how much it cost for the program.

Ok this school is very tricky. I know that they say they are accredited and they are programatically, but they are only nationally accredited not regionally accredited. What this means is that you will not be able to transfer your credits to any other school if you ever decide to advance your degree. Believe me when I tell you I have done my fair share of research for almost two years on sonography and the best schools out there right now closest to Miami that are regionally accredited are Miami Dade College, Keiser University broward Community college and Nova southeastern University. Now BCC you have to have a radiology degree to be admitted. The rest all you need are the general pre-requisites. Keiser costs around $30,000 for a 16 month program, Miami Dade costs about $10,000 for a 24 month program and Nova about the same as Keiser. Keiser there is a a long Waiting list. Miami Dade only excepts people once a year and it is based on GPA. Visit some of these sites for more info. www.ARDMS.ORG, WWW.CAAHEP.ORG. CAAHEP, will tell you which schools are accredited. Any other questions let me know, i have definately done my homework/ I start the program this Fall.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

my gpa is about 2.6 i need to get into an accredited diagnostic sonography program. is there anything that i can do to get in asap without taking extra classes. i've been wasting to much time trying. any suggestion. location south florida

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

gemi1983 in Hollywood, Florida said: Ok this school is very tricky. I know that they say they are accredited and they are programatically, but they are only nationally accredited not regionally accredited. What this means is that you will not be able to transfer your credits to any other school if you ever decide to advance your degree. Believe me when I tell you I have done my fair share of research for almost two years on sonography and the best schools out there right now closest to Miami that are regionally accredited are Miami Dade College, Keiser University broward Community college and Nova southeastern University. Now BCC you have to have a radiology degree to be admitted. The rest all you need are the general pre-requisites. Keiser costs around $30,000 for a 16 month program, Miami Dade costs about $10,000 for a 24 month program and Nova about the same as Keiser. Keiser there is a a long Waiting list. Miami Dade only excepts people once a year and it is based on GPA. Visit some of these sites for more info. www.ARDMS.ORG , WWW.CAAHEP.ORG . CAAHEP, will tell you which schools are accredited. Any other questions let me know, i have definately done my homework/ I start the program this Fall.

hi where are you starting your program

65 months ago

aidenahij in Miami, Florida said: hi where are you starting your program

and also pls if you could contact me @ myrlinedos@yahoo.com. i would appreciated thnx. gemi1983 in hollywood.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

Aidenahij: Most accredited schools only care about the prereq's GPA. So if the reason why your GPA is low is due to classes that has nothing to do with the prereq's you needn't worry. Most schools are only concerned with the grades of your english classes, A&P classes, chemistry, physics and psychology classes (and biology classes if the school you're trying to get into is requesting you take that class). Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

65 months ago

in south florida i believe they looking for an overall GPA. i have a good GPA for my science classes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Current Student in Boca Raton, Florida

65 months ago

Hey Aidenahij.
If you are still looking for info about IAMP in Dealrey Beach you may get a little bit more info about IAMP in discussion "IAMP-vs-Keiser-South-Florida".
Also, they have a web-site where you can get even more info.

65 months ago

Aidenahij: I thought the same thing and made myself sick with worry every semester making sure I tried to get as close to A's in all my classes. However, when I called the school I wanted to transfer to, they told me that they only looked at the gpa's of the prereq's. Call the school you're looking to get into and speak to them directly. Only they could tell you what exactly you need to get into their program. Just make sure the school you are going to is an accredited school and go to: www.caahep.org and check out what schools in your state are accredited. Good luck. :o)

Connie_B in East Brunswick, New Jersey

63 months ago

Is there anyone that graduated or are currently attending Sanford Brown Institute in New Jersey. I want to change my career to a DMS but I am confused on what school to pick. I don't want to make the wrong choice. When I looked into SBI they told me because I did not have an Allied Health Care background, that I would have to take the Medical Assistant program first. I really don't have any desire to become a MA if I don't need to. I am trying to find out what the pre-reqs are for DMS at SBI but they do not return my call. There are also some accredited schools through the hospitals, but they only take a select few per year. I am 48 years old and I am afraid that if I don't make the hospital cut, then I have lost yet another year of my goal and for this reason I was thinking about SBI. Also concerned that I may be too old to start at this stage of my life. Will I get hired when I am in my 50s? Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

SonoTech in Brooklyn, New York

63 months ago

Hi, anybody knows how is the ultrasound job market in Phoenix, az?

Beth in Tucson, Arizona

63 months ago

SonoTech in Brooklyn, New York said: Hi, anybody knows how is the ultrasound job market in Phoenix, az?

I currently work in a hospital, I am a Manager of a Imaging Department, south of Phoenix, AZ near the Mexico border and in AZ it seems the only positions that anyone is looking for is ultrasound technologist. There are a ton of openings down here. In fact I have taken up training in ultrasound in a clinic that our Radiologist read for starting Monday. To answer the questions from above...if you want a online course for ultrasound school that is accredited look at Weber State University in Utah. They have a couple of stipulations but from what I hear is a great school to go to.

SonoTech in Brooklyn, New York

63 months ago

Hi Beth, thank you for answer. I'm not looking for school, I am ultrasound technologist with RDMS (AB) (I also know vascular)and I work in NY, I'm thinking of moving to Phoenix, and just curios if I'm not going to have problems with finding job. And what about salary?

Amina in Westfield, New Jersey

63 months ago

Jamie in Kennewick, Washington said: How can you find out if you school is accredited?

You can find out if the school is accredited by going to www.caahep.com click on find an accredited program and follow the tabs based on the program, state, etc. It is the accreditation site for all allied health programs.

mlpelate13 in Lakewood, Ohio

63 months ago

Does anyone know the outlook for DMS jobs in Cleveland OH area? Also what is the best specialty to get into. My dream is to do OBGYN but when I look up DMS jobs in the are they seem to be mostly (about 99%) cardiac. Any info?

lost in cali in san diego, California

61 months ago

Miss Mitzi,

This post is a little old, but I'm in the same situation you're in. I'm also a first semester nursing student and the stress of clinicals is wearing on me. I'm doing well on the exams, but I get this overwhelming anxiety when I have to give meds or I go home wondering if I forget something. I can't imagine the stress of caring for 5-6 patients either. I'm debating between going into sonography or radiologic tech. Neither occupation comes close to nursing as far as job prospects, at least in Ca, but the lower level of stress is alluring. I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet, but I intend on shadowing both an RT and a sonographer over the winter break to get a feel for both careers. Does anyone happen to know the job outlook for either RT or sonography in CA? Or the starting pay? Good Luck in whatever you decide!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ANNA in Middle Village, New York

61 months ago

Lost in Cali: Stick with nursing if you can. Sono jobs are hard to come by if you have no experience. People on this site will tell you that there are tons of jobs out there, and there are, but you have to have TWO YEARS of experience, also be registered and now more and more want a bachelor's degree. People who have the experience may have no problems finding a job, it's people like me and my classmates who are in school and will be graduating in a year and a half, that will have problems finding a job. Also, I believe nurses on the average start out about $10k more than sonographers. You have stresses being a sonographer: What if you missed a pathology that could become fatal and you will have a lawsuit on your hands. Anything in the medical field is stressful, but also rewarding. You have to weigh all your options before you start going to school for this. You don't want to get halfway through and decide it's not the thing for you. Good luck. :o)

lost in cali in san diego, California

61 months ago

Anna: Thanks for the info. I'm concerned about the lack of job prospects in sonography as well and that was a con for me. Although more nursing jobs are available, most still want 2-3 yrs. experience as well. There aren't enough new grad programs to keep up with all the graduates, and many students have been searching for jobs for over a year. I'm going to consider my options over the winter break and hopefully everything will be sorted out. I agree that most jobs in the medical field are stressful, but what frightens me about nursing is how fast a patient's status can change on your watch. Good luck to you as well!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

guille in Pompano Beach, Florida

60 months ago

jeanne in Hillsdale, New Jersey said: Angelina,
OK.....if you go to the ARDMS website and look at the examination prerequisite chart...look at prerequisite 2. This states that if you go to a diagnostic medical sonography program that is CHEA approved....you do not have to work a year in the field in order to take your boards. I know it is difficult to get into one of these programs. As you can see they can only select a small numbre of students per year, it was the same when I went to school...they only accepted 12 students per year. Find out what they base thier decision on choosing their students. See if they will let you speak to a past graduate. If you really want to get in to the program ... be persistant. Express to the program director how much you want to enter a top program, how serious you are about learning from the best instructors so that you can be a valuable asset to the health care community. But definitely you won't have to work for a year in order to take your boards. If you are still confused call the ARDMS and ask them to explain which programs require you to do an additional 12 month clinical exprience and which don't require this. Hope this has helped....good luck.

listen ,if the school program is not chea aproved ,you can take the AART exam and if you pass this exam,them you can take the ARDMS exam with no problem.the AART exam will ,lets say ,eliminates the one year working.pass this exam and you will be able to take the ARDMS'.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jaymee in Staten Island, New York

60 months ago

Anna in Middle Village, New York said: Stephanie...go with college. I know people say it doesn't matter where you go to school...it's all about scanning. Well, that's not true. If you go to an unaccredited school no hospital will hire you to work for that year you need to qualify taking the registry exams, so it becomes a Catch-22. Why would hospitals want to risk you working for them when there are people graduating from accredited schools? You could usually tell if a school's unaccredited:: there's tons of students in their programs. An accredited school don't take tons of students because they have to have affilated clinical sites for you guys to go to WHILE in school, not AFTER YOU GRADUATE! These stupid tech schools let their students "graduate" their program and their students never practiced in a hospital but on each other!! That is non-sense. You must be in a hospital so that you get experience scanning people of all shapes, sizes and ages. It's easy to scan on a young thing person who chances are, is healthy. But what about scanning a person who is 300lbs and old? How do you learn to spot pathology when all you do is only scan healthy adults? Go onto all the other forums and see what 100's of people who like CALIFORNIA in Desert Hot Springs, who owe $25k and can't find a job to pay off the debt. Better safe than sorry, beside college usually costs ALOT less! Good luck! I hope this helped you in making your decision. :o)

hey anna, i was wondering, how long were you on the waiting list for suny downstate? were you able to put your name on the list while you were taking your pre requisites or did you have to finish all of them first? i'm very interested in following the same path you did, including going to school part time till i finish. thank you for all your advice and help, i've learned alot from your posts so far :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Hi Jaymee. I applied while I was taking one of the last two prereqs. My overall GPA was very good, and I still had yet to take physics when they accepted me.

Once you send in all your paperwork, and they are considering you, they will contact you (can't remember if it's through mail, email or phone) and tell you that they are considering you and they want you to contact them you so they could set up a meet and greet with you. The interview time ranges from just a few minutes to an hour and a half. Make sure to try and make a good impression on them. Dress neatly and professionally and be friendly and outgoing.

I was contacted about a week or so later and told I was accepted into their program. There are only 27 seats per year, so honestly, I don't know about there being a "big wait list" because if they like you and feel that you could handle the program and your science grades are spot on, you will be accepted. But I think the meet and greet is a way of gaging your personality and to see if you are the type of person who can interact with people well.

They are selective about who gets in though. They would rather have only 21 people in the program that could handle the program and pass the classes than a bunch of immature knuckleheads who don't take the program seriously and just don't care. You will see that it's a very intense program, and not something to take as a joke. Even going part-time (part-time btw is during the day - no night classes), and having a family, it's alot of work and studying.

I am not sure if there's still a part-time program. There's a new Asst Chairman running the program and was told by the new incoming juniors that they weren't offered the option of going part-time, so as it stands right now, there may not be part-time program, but you will have to call the dept, speak to the secretary or the DMI Chairman: Professor Paterson, directly and ask him that specific questions. Good luck in getting in! :o)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Robyn in Southlake, Texas

60 months ago

Nicole in Waco, Texas said: Thanks so much!! We were debating between nuc med and dms, and I'm so glad for these forums. Apparently there are no jobs in nuc med, but of course none of the schools will tell you this. I hope we can count on dms. Also, his school offers specialties in abdominal, echo, vascular and ob. Any thoughts regarding the benefits in job availability and/or pay with these?

Cardiovascular pays the best.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jackie in Deland, Florida

59 months ago

I am considering the DMS program and am interested in Cardiovascular if it pays the best. Does anyone know what the starting salary would be in my area right out of school? Does anyone know the job trends in this field? Is it a secure future for me? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Emily Ward in Orlando, Florida

59 months ago

Hello!!! I am looking the diagnostic medical sonographer feild... and with the program i am entering... uyou have to have some experience in the medical industry!!! If anyone knows of any connections that may beable to help me.. I would greatly Appreciate it!!! Or if u have any suggestions where to look would also be great as well!!!

Thank You
Emily Ward

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Brad F in Saint Louis, Missouri

59 months ago

Do you need your RT to get into the DMS program? If not does it at least help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

robyn in Southlake, Texas

59 months ago

You would have to check with the school. When I went to El Centro they had a certificate program for people with a medical background and it was a shorter course.

59 months ago

This is for anyone who is interested in looking into going to SUNY Downstate. Downstate is hosting open houses on the following days:

Tuesday, Feb. 16
Tuesday, March 16
Tuesday, April 20
Monday, May 24
Tuesday, June 15
Thursday, July 29th

Time: 4:00pm - 6:00pm

Heath Education Building
Lenox Road, corner of New York Avenue
Seventh Floor, Room 781
Brooklyn, NY 11203

If possible bring your transcript for evaluation. To reserve your place at the session, please go to www.sls.downstate.edu/admissions/infor_sessions/index.html. Unfortunately, Indeed.com is not allowing me to post the phone number.

Accessible by the #2 or #5 train to the Winthrop Avenue stop. Walk over 1 block to New York Avenue and walk two blocks to Lenox Road.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.