Diagnostic Medical Sonography

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 450)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Afshi in Sacramento

58 months ago

Hi, I really want to get into a DMS program. I have a bachelors in pych. I know that I will be able to sit for my exams right away and hopefully get my ARDMS status. My question is, does it really matter if I go to a CAAHEB accredited school or a non accredited school? Would I have a hard time finding employment after I take the exam in my situation? And also, what programs can anyone vouch for in the Sacramento area? I have read about some not so great circumstances with WCC here in which 2/3 of the class of 2007 tried to sue the program. Can anyone shed some light on this, since it is the closest school to me that I am aware of? I welcome any comments or suggestions, especially from anyone who has attened this particular school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Afshi in Sacramento

58 months ago

(Hi, continuing my response from above)..just read feedback on another blog...WCC is defintely scratched off my list! But still curious if there are any non-accredited schools in California that anyone would recommend? How about Gurnick Academy of Medical Arts in San Mateo? I actually toured the campus and was impressed. Has any gone through Kaiser's program in Richmond? Is it true they only accept Kaiser employees? It seems like a lot of the accredited programs require you to have some kind of allied health background(I know kaiser does not). I want to be able to enter the program without having to get some kind of associates degree in an allied health field first.

jmgray41 in Ramsey, New Jersey

58 months ago

Go to an accredited program...ONLY. Anything else is substandard. You won't learn enough to pass the boards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ANNA in Middle Village, New York

58 months ago

AFSHE IN SACREMENTO: GO TO CAAHEP.ORG AND CLICK ON TO "FIND ACCREDITED PROGRAM". UNDER SELECT YOUR PROFESSION: CLICK ON TO DIAGNOSTIC MEDICAL SONOGRAPHER AND WHERE SAYS: CONCENTRATION: CLICK ONTO ALL. UNDER THAT WHERE IT SAYS "STATE" PUT IN CA. WHERE IT SAYS SEARCH IN: CLICK ON TO "ACCREDITED". THERE ARE EIGHT DIFFERENT PROGRAMS IN CA, BUT NOT SURE WHICH IS CLOSEST TO YOU. GOOD LUCK!

abird in North Little Rock, Arkansas

58 months ago

Do diagnostic medical sonographers have to give patients enemas? On my radiology tech observations, the techs did have to give enemas on a daily basis, and I don't know if I'm up for that. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

usd125 in Stamford, Connecticut

58 months ago

abird in North Little Rock, Arkansas said: Do diagnostic medical sonographers have to give patients enemas? On my radiology tech observations, the techs did have to give enemas on a daily basis, and I don't know if I'm up for that. Thanks!

No, enemas are part of certain Xray exams.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Patty in North Versailles, Pennsylvania

57 months ago

Hello. I have to interview someone who is working in the field that I would like to work in for a school assignment, and I have chosen Diagnostic Medical Sonography. I don't know anyone in the field, and was wondering if someone in the field could answe them for me?

1. How much education and work experience are required for your profession?

2.What are some basic skills that are necessary for your job?

3. What are some personal characteristics or traits that might give someone an avantage in this occupation?

4. What kinds of technology do you use on a daily basis?

5. What advice would you give someone interested in pursuing a career in your field?

6. What are some ways that a person could advance in this field?

If someone could please answer thest for me, I would greatly appreciate it..

char in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

57 months ago

Connie_B in East Brunswick, New Jersey said: Is there anyone that graduated or are currently attending Sanford Brown Institute in New Jersey. I want to change my career to a DMS but I am confused on what school to pick. I don't want to make the wrong choice. When I looked into SBI they told me because I did not have an Allied Health Care background, that I would have to take the Medical Assistant program first. I really don't have any desire to become a MA if I don't need to. I am trying to find out what the pre-reqs are for DMS at SBI but they do not return my call. There are also some accredited schools through the hospitals, but they only take a select few per year. I am 48 years old and I am afraid that if I don't make the hospital cut, then I have lost yet another year of my goal and for this reason I was thinking about SBI. Also concerned that I may be too old to start at this stage of my life. Will I get hired when I am in my 50s? Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

if you cant get them to return your call I would not trust them- I work as a sonographer in wisconsin and I dont know anyone that is working as a tech that graduated from that school- hint hint

char in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

57 months ago

jmgray41 in Ramsey, New Jersey said: Go to an accredited program...ONLY. Anything else is substandard. You won't learn enough to pass the boards.

absolutely correct- you wont last even if you managed to get a job- you wont be skilled enough...

Anna in Middle Village, New York

57 months ago

Connie from E. Brunswick: In the hospital I'm doing my clinicals in, there are two or three people who have graduated from SBI, and the ones here in NY aren't accredited. I've read alot of bad things about SBI, but it's apparent, that their graduates do get jobs. However, you have Bergen Community College not far from you that is accredited that's alot cheaper and has an excellent reputation. Why not try there for a education in ultrasound? But then again Iselin's SBI is accredited as well. But given the choice go with BCC because at least when you graduate, you'll have an Associates Degree. Good luck.

Sarah in Lewisburg, West Virginia

56 months ago

Mountain State University in Beckley, West Virginia has an online DMS program. You take the classes online and then they work things out so that you can do your clinicals with hospitals close to where you live. They are also accredited. Bad news is...its expensive!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

cristianmari hernandez in Passaic, New Jersey

56 months ago

gemi1983 in Hollywood, Florida said: Ok this school is very tricky. I know that they say they are accredited and they are programatically, but they are only nationally accredited not regionally accredited. What this means is that you will not be able to transfer your credits to any other school if you ever decide to advance your degree. Believe me when I tell you I have done my fair share of research for almost two years on sonography and the best schools out there right now closest to Miami that are regionally accredited are Miami Dade College, Keiser University broward Community college and Nova southeastern University. Now BCC you have to have a radiology degree to be admitted. The rest all you need are the general pre-requisites. Keiser costs around $30,000 for a 16 month program, Miami Dade costs about $10,000 for a 24 month program and Nova about the same as Keiser. Keiser there is a a long Waiting list. Miami Dade only excepts people once a year and it is based on GPA. Visit some of these sites for more info. www.ARDMS.ORG , WWW.CAAHEP.ORG . CAAHEP, will tell you which schools are accredited. Any other questions let me know, i have definately done my homework/ I start the program this Fall.

So your telling me that at BCC you have to have a radiology degree inorder to get into the Diagnostic Med. Sonography program? ..Im a high school senior very interested in this program...any advice on what i should do?

56 months ago

Cristianmari: If you're referring to Bergen Community College (BCC) then NO, you don't need to have a degree in radiology. You have to take prereq courses to qualify getting into their program. I have a friend of mine who is currently trying to get into that program. The competition is tough, because they only allow about 15 people into the program a year. She's met all her prereqs and submitted her application and is waiting to hear from them, hopefully by the beginning of May. Call the school directly and ask to speak to someone in the DMI program and find out the specifics. Only they could tell you what exactly is needed to qualify getting into their program. Good luck. :o)

Ann in NJ in Piscataway, New Jersey

56 months ago

Hi Connie, I see you posted this 7 months ago. I am in the same boat. I'm 47 and also dont want to take the medical assistant program before starting this program. Did you recieve any answers to your post?

Connie_B in East Brunswick, New Jersey said: Is there anyone that graduated or are currently attending Sanford Brown Institute in New Jersey. I want to change my career to a DMS but I am confused on what school to pick. I don't want to make the wrong choice. When I looked into SBI they told me because I did not have an Allied Health Care background, that I would have to take the Medical Assistant program first. I really don't have any desire to become a MA if I don't need to. I am trying to find out what the pre-reqs are for DMS at SBI but they do not return my call. There are also some accredited schools through the hospitals, but they only take a select few per year. I am 48 years old and I am afraid that if I don't make the hospital cut, then I have lost yet another year of my goal and for this reason I was thinking about SBI. Also concerned that I may be too old to start at this stage of my life. Will I get hired when I am in my 50s? Any suggestions/comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Kengolfnut in Houston, Texas

56 months ago

A sonographer not a Technician in Chicago, Illinois said: Stephanie,

1st and foremost we are Sonographers not Technicians,. We diagnose technicians do not. We scan, technicians push buttons. 2ndly what is ranked?
3rd your school is accredited and should be a 2 year program. This is a good thing. Get as many pre req's done as possble so you can take all the key courses when your accepted. There is no fast way and in the long run you will appreciate it. Hope this helped.

ummm we don't diagnose... The Rads do. Unless you know something I don't.

AnnaI in Middle Village, New York

56 months ago

I agree with you kengolfnut. When I first found this site about two years ago, i thought there was an actually difference and sonographer actually diagnoses, but we don't. I am currently a student and found that out while doing clinicals. The Radiologist my confer with you and ask your opinion on what you are seeing on the screen (more I think to see how educated you are than to be advised by it. So once again...what's the difference between and ultrasound tech and a sonographer? Is there an actual difference?

Kengolfnut in Houston, Texas

56 months ago

AnnaI in Middle Village, New York said: I agree with you kengolfnut. When I first found this site about two years ago, i thought there was an actually difference and sonographer actually diagnoses, but we don't. I am currently a student and found that out while doing clinicals. The Radiologist my confer with you and ask your opinion on what you are seeing on the screen (more I think to see how educated you are than to be advised by it. So once again...what's the difference between and ultrasound tech and a sonographer? Is there an actual difference?

the answer is simple.... Nothing. Some people use these titles interchangeably. As long as you are skilled and educated in your specialty, there is no difference.

Ava in Burbank, California

55 months ago

A sonographer not a Technician in Chicago, Illinois said: Stephanie,

1st and foremost we are Sonographers not Technicians,. We diagnose technicians do not. We scan, technicians push buttons. 2ndly what is ranked?
3rd your school is accredited and should be a 2 year program. This is a good thing. Get as many pre req's done as possble so you can take all the key courses when your accepted. There is no fast way and in the long run you will appreciate it. Hope this helped.

Wow Stephanie...you really need to get off your high horse. It's one thing to lay claim to your job title, but to demean ultrasound techs ("pushing buttons")in teh process is another thing. And no..I'm not an ultrasound tech. I am an RN and if someone accidentally called me an LVN, I would take it for what it is..a mistake...not a personal insult. Now take a deep breath and relaaaax.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Shifting Gears in Los Angeles, California

54 months ago

I'm considering an accredited DMS program in Southern California- but I did a search for Sonographers/ultrasound technicians and the lack of job postings is alarming. Is there really no demand, or am I looking in the wrong places (monster, career builder, indeed etc.)?
I don't want to to go through the whole program, get registered and then have a hard time finding work. Thanks in advance for your sound advice.

54 months ago

Shifting Gears in LA, California: I don't want to discourage anyone from going into this field if your heart's really set on it, however with all the budget cuts in medical care, it will be hard for you (or any newbie) to get a job. Experienced techs are not looking to leave their jobs and there are so many people coming out of both accredited and unaccredited schools, there's no jobs to place all those graduates. When I started going back to school six years ago, things were different and requirements to get jobs weren't so high (ex: as recently as three years ago, MAYBE only one year of experience was required to get a job, now they are requesting three to five years of experience, and to be registered, and some places want a bachelor's degree). I don't know how we're supposed to get experience if no one will give us a chance. If you have the opportunity to look into another field then go for it, but if you're willing to gamble go into this field. I am hoping to graduate next May.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

rkilay in Jersey City, New Jersey

54 months ago

Hi Anna in Middle Village, I find all your comments/responses to be very helpful. I'm expecting to get a call from a SBI rep regarding their DMS certificate program. I already have a BS in Finance and thinking of switching career for obvious reasons. Do you have any advice on this career choice and or taking a certificate program from SBI?

54 months ago

Hi Rkilay. Thank you for the compliment. :o) I learned alot from this site and once I seriously started looking into the sonography field and found about how important a school's accreditation was, I went onto www.caahep.org. That's where you find all the accredited programs in your statee. Unfortunately, when you google ULTRASOUND SCHOOLS, they RARELY give you names of schools that are accredited. I too was planning on going to SBI if I didn't get into Downstate until I went onto a site called: www.ripoffreports.com and typed in Sanford Brown Institutes and my stomach literally turned over when I read all the letters of complaints about that school. AND to boot it costs about $4ok!! I post things on here because I want people to make informed decisions and since this is literally a life changing decision, I don't want anyone to do anything that will leave them financially strapped and totally screwed over by a school who don't volunteer any information about accreditation, because most people (myself included) don't know how important accrediation for schools are.

SBI in Iselin, NJ is accredited, and don't worry, you'll get in. I never heard of ANYONE NOT getting into SBI. Ultrasound is a very competitive field to get into. The one thing you definitely need in order to get a job nowadays is for you to become registered. Less and less hospitals are offering jobs to unregistered sonographers. Also, there's definitely some prejudices against SBI. Please look into BCC rather than SBI. I believe it's alot cheaper and my friend who was waiting to hear if she got in, received word that she DID get into the program. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

rkilay in Jersey City, New Jersey

54 months ago

Anna, perfect timing. I have a 3 PM appointment with the SBI NY rep tomorrow which I am canceling. Thanks for the advice and the links you sent. You just save me $40 big ones. I will look into BCC and try my luck there. Best of luck to you and everybody here.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jessica in Woodside in Elmhurst, New York

53 months ago

Hi - Anna in Middle Village, this is Jessica in Woodside, NY. I have read and re-read all of your comments, which are quite knowledgeable and helpful.

I am also considering studying Diagnostic Sonography at Downstate. I have an appointment to attend the Open House on July 29. I have to figure how and where to do some prerequisites, maybe as long as a year before I can even apply. I am a mother as well, and am changing from a career in art. I know it sounds crazy but I love human anatomy and in college I obtained special permission to draw cadavres. I loved doing that.

I am going to try to shadow some people in the field to see what it is like. My biggest question is this: what kind of skills and personality does it take to be a good sonographer? I am reading all that I can but I can't seem to find an answer to that one.

Thanks so much for all your time and help in advance.

Jessica

53 months ago

Hi Jessica. I would suggest going to Queensborough Community College to get your prereq's done, which is where I went as well because the tuition's pretty cheap and if you have a car it's really easy to get to, it's about 1/4 mile off the L.I.E.

In regards to the kind of skills you need, well, your education will come in very handy. Scanning skills are also very important. Take advantage any opportunity you get at your clinical site that let's you scan. I know it looks so easy when you watch a skilled sonographer do it, but it's a whole other story when you are doing it yourself on a patient. lol.

In regards the kind of personality you need to have, I would say, anyone getting into ANY field where you are dealing with people all day long should have an out-going personality who are "people persons". You have to remember you will be dealing with people of all ages from a day old to almost a 100 years old who are sick, in pain, afraid and/or angry for being in the situation they are in. Some patients will be completely rude and obnoxious to you because they are sick of being ill and having people poking and prodding them. There are some people who out of nervousness will talk, and talk incessantly barely taking a breath so you could scan them adequately. You'll need to have a thick skin against getting feelings hurt by rude people and to prevent your heart getting hurt seeing sick little babies or people who seemingly have their whole life ahead them only to find out that they have some kind of catastrophic disease that has progressed to end stage of the disease. It's hard not to get emotional when you see a mom in the process of miscarrying her long awaited child especially when dad's in the room too crying along with the mom. But it's what you will have to do. But on the up side you will have alot of patients coming in and the tests will reveal there's nothing wrong.

I hope this helped...

Anna

53 months ago

Anna, that is extremely helpful. I'm not sure that I have what it takes - I don't know if I'm that emotionally resiliant. And yet, I am so intrigued by it that I can't seem to just give this idea up. It sounds so fascinating, and satisfying as well. I still think I'd like to do some shadowing and not make my mind up yet. A lot to think about.

I know it looks easy to scan, but I've never thought that it was easy. Every time I had an diagnostic imaging done, I really try to "get" what they are seeing but can't.

How are your studies going? Where have you done your clinical work at?

And thank you again for your time!

Jessica

Anna in Rockville Centre, New York

53 months ago

Jessica: I have done my clinical rotations at Cumberland Hospital and Treatment Center in Bklyn, Winthrop University Hospital and am currently in North Shore University in Manhasset.

You'll learn to understand what you are seeing on the screen...it's getting the good image... that's the hard part.

The same thing when it comes to keeping your emotions to yourself. Thankfully, we're not the ones who have to give the patients the bad news...(and you could make yourself scarce when the time comes for the dr to talk to the patient.)

It's ALOT of studying, and I feel burnt out (as do my classmates). It's hard raising kids and going to school, but hopefully in the end it pays off.

I'm not sure if hospitals allow shadowing of a non-student, but you could try and see if a hospital will allow you to do so. Maybe you could volunteer at one of the many Ultrasound clinical in Queens. Maybe they will allow you to stand in while the patient is being scanned. But as always...the patient has to agree to allow you to stand in and watch the exam.

Good luck. Go to the open house and see what it's about and it will give you a better idea of what the program is about. But of all the programs here in NYC it's by far the most reasonably priced AND you graduate with a bachelor's degree! :o)

Sono-gurl in Blacksburg, Virginia

53 months ago

abird in North Little Rock, Arkansas said: Do diagnostic medical sonographers have to give patients enemas? On my radiology tech observations, the techs did have to give enemas on a daily basis, and I don't know if I'm up for that. Thanks!

Sonographers do transvaginal exams. (Probe is inserted into the vagina to ultrasound.) Health care deals with bodily fluids of some sort no matter which route you go! Good luck in your decision.

Haygrey in Wilmington, Delaware

53 months ago

Hi- I am looking into an accredited sonography program in Colorado vs. a radiography tech program and have a couple of questions...I know there are several routes to go as far as which type of sonography you do but do they all include invasive procedures? I know the ob/gyn sonographer has to insert a probe into the vagina but what about the other types?? Also how is the job market at this time?? Is it alot of PRN work or are there full time positions?? I really am leaning towards sonography and find it fascinating!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

53 months ago

Anna in Rockville Centre, New York said: Jessica: I have done my clinical rotations at Cumberland Hospital and Treatment Center in Bklyn, Winthrop University Hospital and am currently in North Shore University in Manhasset.

You'll learn to understand what you are seeing on the screen...it's getting the good image... that's the hard part.

The same thing when it comes to keeping your emotions to yourself. Thankfully, we're not the ones who have to give the patients the bad news...(and you could make yourself scarce when the time comes for the dr to talk to the patient.)

It's ALOT of studying, and I feel burnt out (as do my classmates). It's hard raising kids and going to school, but hopefully in the end it pays off.

I'm not sure if hospitals allow shadowing of a non-student, but you could try and see if a hospital will allow you to do so. Maybe you could volunteer at one of the many Ultrasound clinical in Queens. Maybe they will allow you to stand in while the patient is being scanned. But as always...the patient has to agree to allow you to stand in and watch the exam.

Good luck. Go to the open house and see what it's about and it will give you a better idea of what the program is about. But of all the programs here in NYC it's by far the most reasonably priced AND you graduate with a bachelor's degree! :o)

Thanks again Anna!
Good for you for all your hard work. Have you begun to look for work yet? The shadowing here in Queens is a good idea. That's my next step. I have doubts that I am "smart" enough. I have to do the prereqs and I don't have any hard science. How difficult did you find your prereqs? I know you had a 3.7 which is excellent!

And I think I'm a little too late for registering for classes in the Fall…

53 months ago

Hi Jessica: If you decide to go to QCC, and take A&P I & II, (take Professor Mader's class. He's awesome and is such a nice guy!) If you have already taken all but your science classes, all you need is A&P I & II, chem, physics (take Professor Marchese - he's cute and you'll pass) & pyschology along with other classes that add up to 60 credits.

I understand your concerns about being smart enough...I feel that way too at times. It's natural. But I am sure you will do fine. :o)

Connie in Fremont, California

53 months ago

Anna in Middle Village, New York said: Shifting Gears in LA, California: I don't want to discourage anyone from going into this field if your heart's really set on it, however with all the budget cuts in medical care, it will be hard for you (or any newbie) to get a job. Experienced techs are not looking to leave their jobs and there are so many people coming out of both accredited and unaccredited schools, there's no jobs to place all those graduates. When I started going back to school six years ago, things were different and requirements to get jobs weren't so high (ex: as recently as three years ago, MAYBE only one year of experience was required to get a job, now they are requesting three to five years of experience, and to be registered, and some places want a bachelor's degree). I don't know how we're supposed to get experience if no one will give us a chance. If you have the opportunity to look into another field then go for it, but if you're willing to gamble go into this field. I am hoping to graduate next May.

Hi Anna,
I have a bachelor's degree in biology and say I get into an accredited program and have passed all my required ARDMS exams, what would the outlook for job then look for me?

I'm struggling to decide whether or not to go with this route. Many people mention the job opportunities are scare without registry and bac degree, but what if you have both? Also, when you say required experience, do the accredited program hands-on experience count??

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Anna in Hempstead, New York

53 months ago

Connie: I don't think clinicals count for experience because to many variables are involved...meaning some hospitals let you scan all day and other hospitals you won't ever get a chance to touch a probe.

I think with this field, there are jobs out there if you have the work experience. I think the problem lies in finding that first job. But if you are willing to take ANY job no matter how little it pays for the first year or two, you should be able to find a much higher paying job once you have your experience.

Connie in Fremont, California

53 months ago

AvaBlue in Peoria, Arizona said: Do vascular sonographers sit more during the day that general sonographers? I am very interested in sonography but am concerned about standing most of the day.

Also, the only CAAHEP accredited school in AZ is Gateway but grads only sit for abdominal and OBGYN. There are other local schools that offer vascular but are not accredited. Does this mean if I want to get certified in vascular I would have to go out of state or would the non-accredited schools be enough? Thanks!!!!

I would suggest looking into out of state accredited programs. You cannot take the ARDMES exams unless you graduate from an accredited school. The only other way you are eligible to take the exam after you graduate from an uncredited school is by having one year of sonography experience at a hospital. However, almost all places do not hire unless you are registered with ARDMES...so it really isn't the best route. There are many many programs in CA you can look into.

denisse in Hialeah, Florida

53 months ago

Hi, everyone, i live currently in miami..I just got my AA degree in miami dade collede and trying to persue my bachelor in ultrasound.... does anyone know a school that offers B.S in sonography in florida..or NY...i already apply in NOva university ..i'm in the waitlist....i don't know long it will take for them to let me know if i have been accept...

Eric Cadiente RDCS RVT in Altamonte Springs, Florida

53 months ago

denisse in Hialeah, Florida said: Hi, everyone, i live currently in miami..I just got my AA degree in miami dade collede and trying to persue my bachelor in ultrasound.... does anyone know a school that offers B.S in sonography in florida..or NY...i already apply in NOva university ..i'm in the waitlist....i don't know long it will take for them to let me know if i have been accept...

Is you AA in Diagnostic Medical Sonography, or are you looking for an entry-level program that will teach you sonography?

53 months ago

Anna in Middle Village, New York said: Hi Jessica: If you decide to go to QCC, and take A&P I & II, (take Professor Mader's class. He's awesome and is such a nice guy!) If you have already taken all but your science classes, all you need is A&P I & II, chem, physics (take Professor Marchese - he's cute and you'll pass) & pyschology along with other classes that add up to 60 credits.

I understand your concerns about being smart enough...I feel that way too at times. It's natural. But I am sure you will do fine. :o)

Thank you Anna. I've been still having doubts. I don't have much science and I would need to take anatomy and chemistry. I think I took psychology in college, way back when. I'll remember Professor Mader, though.

53 months ago

Jessica: You could take Dr.Pollak for sono I...he's good and funny.

53 months ago

Anna in Middle Village, New York said: Hi Jessica: If you decide to go to QCC, and take A&P I & II, (take Professor Mader's class. He's awesome and is such a nice guy!) If you have already taken all but your science classes, all you need is A&P I & II, chem, physics (take Professor Marchese - he's cute and you'll pass) & pyschology along with other classes that add up to 60 credits.

Hi Anna,

I don't suppose I could cajole you into lunch or a cup of coffee on me? We're so close and you seem so kind and knowledgeable. I can certainly understand though if you'd rather not.

Just think about it.

Jessica

53 months ago

Jessica: That's very sweet of you. I'll definitely keep that in mind when I finally have some down time. I'm currently busy with clnicals, I have to work on some things for school that's due in ten days, have running around to do for my next clinical site and school starts again soon. Email me @: Brighteyes903@aol.com.

Keep in touch. :o)

Anna

denis.s in Hallandale, Florida

52 months ago

denisse in Hialeah, Florida said: Hi, everyone, i live currently in miami..I just got my AA degree in miami dade collede and trying to persue my bachelor in ultrasound.... does anyone know a school that offers B.S in sonography in florida..or NY...i already apply in NOva university ..i'm in the waitlist....i don't know long it will take for them to let me know if i have been accept...

depends...I was in teh waitlist and got accepted a week later...try to call them

Stephanie G in Fort Myers, Florida

52 months ago

denis.s in Hallandale, Florida said: depends...I was in teh waitlist and got accepted a week later...try to call them

Hi Denise,

I am currently in school at Nova Southeastern going into clinical year and I am in the inaugural class for a Master's of Health Science in Vascular Sonography. If there's anything I can do to help you, please let me know.

Stephanie

52 months ago

Dismal Job Market

To everyone,

I have been reading these posts and the job market sounds pretty grim for jobs in sonography. Is the market really that bad? Obviously, this makes me very nervous just coming out of school. I will finish my graduate degree concentrating in Vascular Sonography at Nova Southeastern University in August of 2011 and hopefully sit for the RDMS asap after I graduate. Obviously its hard enough getting through school with very little money, but the prospect of finding no work (even outside of the state of Florida?) is very scary.

Stephanie

Kate269 in Dayton, Ohio

52 months ago

Haygrey in Wilmington, Delaware said: Hi- I am looking into an accredited sonography program in Colorado vs. a radiography tech program and have a couple of questions...I know there are several routes to go as far as which type of sonography you do but do they all include invasive procedures? I know the ob/gyn sonographer has to insert a probe into the vagina but what about the other types?? Also how is the job market at this time?? Is it alot of PRN work or are there full time positions?? I really am leaning towards sonography and find it fascinating!

If inserting a probe bothers you then this is not the field for you. Scanning the prostate is done transrectally and that's obviously not OB/GYN. And of course, it seems there are always para- and thoracentesis procedures going on where you end up clamping off a tube coming out of a patient's abdomen or back and changing bottles or scanning during a thyroid biopsy where needles are being repeatedly stuck into the patient's neck. Vascular can involve scanning for venous ablations or other procedures. At any rate, if this is the kind of thing grosses you out you may want to consider doing something else.

Michelle in Jacksonville, Florida

52 months ago

Stephanie G in Fort Myers, Florida said: Dismal Job Market

To everyone,

I have been reading these posts and the job market sounds pretty grim for jobs in sonography. Is the market really that bad? Obviously, this makes me very nervous just coming out of school. I will finish my graduate degree concentrating in Vascular Sonography at Nova Southeastern University in August of 2011 and hopefully sit for the RDMS asap after I graduate. Obviously its hard enough getting through school with very little money, but the prospect of finding no work (even outside of the state of Florida?) is very scary.

Stephanie

I graduated a year ago and along with classes before mine, I can vouch for knowing 5 people who managed to snag jobs out of the past 3 classes. It's terrible!

eve01 in Trenton, Michigan

52 months ago

Michelle in Jacksonville, Florida said: I graduated a year ago and along with classes before mine, I can vouch for knowing 5 people who managed to snag jobs out of the past 3 classes. It's terrible!

The job market is very slow right now. I graduated 2 years ago, and ive just now recieved a couple of calls for interviews. All I can say is that you have to be very persistant with your job hunt and dont give up. Especially now, when you have so many people applying for one job it's hard.

52 months ago

Kate269: Don't forget to tell Haygrey in Wilmington, DE about the SMELLS of dealing with people. Some people don't keep up with their hygiene or being in the hospital, they're not smelling as "fresh" as they may normaly smell. Not to mention patients who are NPO who haven't brushed their teeth early in the morning and insist on talking or procedures they're going through may cause them to become sick and vomit in front of you (as was the case with my patient last week). Certain health issues causes the body to have odors that may cause your gag reflex to kick in. The smells tend to bother me more than blood and bodily fluids.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

52 months ago

That's a great question and I would be very interested to hear what others who have gone through this process have done. I will be eligible to sit for the second half of the RDMS exam in September (I have already passed the physics portion) as soon as I graduate. Out of our graduating class at Nova, students have already gotten jobs before they even graduate! This is why I can't understand the the rotten job market because it seems like our graduates are doing really well getting positions.

Michelle in Jacksonville, Florida

52 months ago

AvaBlue in Peoria, Arizona said: What I'd also like to know in addition to the out-of-state bias is the real life process as school nears end (especially from singles who have no one else to rely on financially). When do you take the ARDMS exams in relation to school? When do you start studying? What do you do to support yourself from the time school ends and getting a Sonography job? For those in on-campus housing, do you just get an apartment for the waiting time and risk breaking the lease?

I know these are very dumb questions but I really need to figure out what happens with financial, housing and timelines go so I can plan accordingly. Times like this, I would love to just get someone who's gone through the process and have a Q&A session!

I worked full time all through school. It was so hard! I had to support myself though. And to finish school a year later and not being accepted by anyone yet is a real smack in the face.

denisse in Hollywood, Florida

52 months ago

Stephanie G in Fort Myers, Florida said: Hi Denise,

I am currently in school at Nova Southeastern going into clinical year and I am in the inaugural class for a Master's of Health Science in Vascular Sonography. If there's anything I can do to help you, please let me know.

Stephanie

hi stephanie:
I got accepted to nova university for my bachelor in vascular sonography, Great to know that u r doing u masters, and yes you can help me advising me after my bachelor and about the exam i have to take such as RVT...and physics, can u give me u email? do you have facebook.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.