Echo Student....Is CAAHEP accrediation necessary?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (5)

Mike in Ballston Spa, New York

13 months ago

Is there anyone here who is a Echo student who is attending a school that is not CAAHEP accrediated?

Or is there anyone who is an RDCS or a graduate from a program that is not CAAHEP accrediated?

Im currently a soon to be graduating Respiratory Care student who is looking into the Echocardiography program at Trocaire College in WNY. I am concerned because I didnt find anything on accrediation by CAAHEP for the program.

The prereq of the program is to be a graduate of an Allied Health program i.e; RN, RT, MT, OT, PT etc......

My main question is, is it necessary for a program to be CAAHEP accrediated to sit for the Registry exam and obtain employment?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Roger RCS RDCS (AE,PE) RVT in Oakland, California

13 months ago

It is recommended to come from a CAAHEP program in order to sit for the ARDMS registry after you complete your program. If you program is not, you will need to work 1 year or get CCI's RCS credential and that is a loop hole to take ARDMS.

With government reimburstment being the main cause, most labs strive to be come ICAEL accredited and that includes having a formal protocol and registered technologists.

Mike in Winsted, Connecticut

13 months ago

After you graduate from a program, is there a timeframe on this? Like if you didnt take the exam, or pass the exam in a certain timeframe after you graduate, do you lose your elgibility to take the exam?

Like obviously being fresh out of school and registry elgible, it will take time to find a job....

Roger RCS RDCS (AE,PE) RVT in Oakland, California

13 months ago

Mike in Winsted, Connecticut said: After you graduate from a program, is there a timeframe on this? Like if you didnt take the exam, or pass the exam in a certain timeframe after you graduate, do you lose your elgibility to take the exam?

Like obviously being fresh out of school and registry elgible, it will take time to find a job....

Not sure as if they would ask those questions. I do know once you send in your paperwork, you have 90 days to take the test.

If you started working in the field, I dont think it is an issue.. but I would suggest to anyone that dont wait to sit for registry as all the info might slip from memory.

If the case is looking for a job, or been working at one, sooner or later that lab might ask you to take the test. ARDMS has a pathway to sit if you have been working for 1yr.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

SheenaRT in Gilbert, Arizona

6 months ago

Anybody have experience or knowledge about the AZ Heart Institute Echo Program? It's now 18 months long and 32k but not accredited by CAAHEP. I'm worried about wasting my money and time, however Terry Reynolds is back as the instructor and he has a great reputation. Need some advice.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.