Help! Need more ultrasound training.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (30)

Bobbie O in Jersey City, New Jersey

80 months ago

was wondering if anyone can give me advice on additional training in ultrasound. My clinical experiences were not that great and I interviewed for job and was told I need more practice. I approached my school and they cannot help me. I asked to be placed in another clinical and they told me "no." I was told to call up hospitals and ask if I could volunteer, but I'm sure they will not let me touch patients because of malpractice issues, as I've been told.. I cannot seem to find a job in ultrasound with or without on the job training even though I am ARDMS registered. I appreciate any advice! Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joyce in New York, New York

80 months ago

The best thing for you to do is call the volunteer departments of your local hospitals. Explain the situation to them and then ask them to find out if you could volunteer in the ultrasound lab just to observe. The lab might say all you can do is observe, but if you get friendly with the supervisor and techs after a while you will probably be able to get scan time in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

shocked in Hesperia, California

80 months ago

Iam truely surprised, you should report them to the BBB. The school I attend allows us to go back to open lab and get help for the lab instructor, we are allowed to any time classes are not in. You should look at your contract to see if you have anything to stand on, if not think about finding friends that still attend the school, maybe they would be willing to give you some of their lab time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bobbie O in Jersey City, New Jersey

80 months ago

shocked in Hesperia, California said: Iam truely surprised, you should report them to the BBB. The school I attend allows us to go back to open lab and get help for the lab instructor, we are allowed to any time classes are not in. You should look at your contract to see if you have anything to stand on, if not think about finding friends that still attend the school, maybe they would be willing to give you some of their lab time.

Yeah, my family and friends wondered how they can let me graduate without not knowing how to scan, but I guess a lot of students have this problem. I am just so disappointed in how cold the faculty was to me. Its as if they don't care anymore and only are interested in getting new students in, getting current students out, and keeping former students out. Thanks for your help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Raiffe in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

80 months ago

I am in somewhat the same place.I am RDMS and,for One I'm having no luck with a job and every time I call the school "KU" FL.NO ONE calles back,and I'v asked to use the LAB after hrs.And as soon as you get in there they wont you to leave so that they can go home early.

Joyce in New York, New York

80 months ago

Again, I recommend calling the local hospitals and going through the volunteer department. Some of the labs say they cannot allow you to scan and you can only observe, but I have known people that volunteered and eventually got scanning time. Plus being in the hospital gives you a heads up on available jobs. The schools really cannot help, as they have current students using their labs and going to clinicals. You also will not see the variety of cases necessary to obtain a job by just practicing at the school. There many graduates that have had to go the route of practicing after they graduate. Not everyone picks up scanning quickly. To the above posters who are RDMS you are at an advantage! Many new grads and techs with experience are not RDMS, and I know in the NYC area some hospitals will let even an experienced tech go if they do not achieve the registry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Erica U in Orange, New Jersey

78 months ago

Bobbie O in Jersey City, New Jersey said: Yeah, my family and friends wondered how they can let me graduate without not knowing how to scan, but I guess a lot of students have this problem. I am just so disappointed in how cold the faculty was to me. Its as if they don't care anymore and only are interested in getting new students in, getting current students out, and keeping former students out. Thanks for your help.

Hi there,

Just curious, but what school did you go to?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

justice in Long Beach, California

65 months ago

Erica U in Orange, New Jersey said: Hi there,

Just curious, but what school did you go to?

pci college ca

annie in Pompano Beach, Florida

65 months ago

Joyce in New York, New York said: The best thing for you to do is call the volunteer departments of your local hospitals. Explain the situation to them and then ask them to find out if you could volunteer in the ultrasound lab just to observe. The lab might say all you can do is observe, but if you get friendly with the supervisor and techs after a while you will probably be able to get scan time in.

I already tried that and hospitals wont let you because of insurance issues.
been there done that.

annie in Pompano Beach, Florida

65 months ago

Raiffe in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: I am in somewhat the same place.I am RDMS and,for One I'm having no luck with a job and every time I call the school "KU" FL.NO ONE calles back,and I'v asked to use the LAB after hrs.And as soon as you get in there they wont you to leave so that they can go home early.

I THINK THE WAY ARDMS IS SORTED OUT DOES NOT GIVE JUSTICE TO THE SYSTEM OF HOW THINGS WORK.
SO THEY WAY I SEE IT YOU CANT SCAN ALL THAT WELL BUT YOU CAN SIT FOR ARDMS AND THE OTHER SIDE OF THE HAND IS YOU CAN SCAN BUT DONT HAVE 12 MONTHS EXPERIENCE AND CANNOT SIT FOR ARDMS.
SOMEHOW THIS JUST ISNT RIGHT.!!!!!!

HAD I KNOWN THIS MESS I WOULD HAVE DONE SOMETHING ELSE.

Lp22 in Santa Fe Springs, California

64 months ago

shocked in Hesperia, California said: Iam truely surprised, you should report them to the BBB. The school I attend allows us to go back to open lab and get help for the lab instructor, we are allowed to any time classes are not in. You should look at your contract to see if you have anything to stand on, if not think about finding friends that still attend the school, maybe they would be willing to give you some of their lab time.

What school did you attend?

Lp22 in Santa Fe Springs, California

64 months ago

justice in Long Beach, California said: pci college ca

Did you like this school? Did they offer externship sites and job placement? How much did it cost?

gabby in Belleville, New Jersey

63 months ago

Bobbie O in Jersey City, New Jersey said: Yeah, my family and friends wondered how they can let me graduate without not knowing how to scan, but I guess a lot of students have this problem. I am just so disappointed in how cold the faculty was to me. Its as if they don't care anymore and only are interested in getting new students in, getting current students out, and keeping former students out. Thanks for your help.

i see your in JC was that school micro tech by any chance?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LRD in Plymouth, Massachusetts

61 months ago

I also need scan time! I went to school in 2005, but have only worked in 3D/4D "fun" ob, and that was before my daughter was born~she is already 2. I want to sit for the boards, but I need scan time while I study. I teach, so I have the summers off and I am willing to relocate for the summer.

I would appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks

Jane in Saint Bonaventure, New York

59 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

LILCK in Corona, California

55 months ago

I do not recommend any of the private schools,they make a ton of promises but never come through.Put yourself on a waiting list at the local colleges,they will get the proper clinical learning sites.Too many schools and students being let out without jobs after spending all that money.As for training,knock on some doors at imaging centers and make sure they know you will be very helpful and not get in the way....I know any student I've had I have to warm up to,great personality plays a big role.

tiffanie in Long Beach, California

45 months ago

Justice, I am a new instructor at PCI College, ca. Contact me llnguyen2001@yahoo.com see if i can help you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Mol in Minnesota

45 months ago

I feel your pain! I graduated in 2009, felt I had sub-par clinicals so I voulenteered to scan at a bigger hospital for as long as I was allowed before graduation, which I did but since then, havnt been able to get a job. I am STILL hopeful, even though I feel like being out of actively scanning daily has not been good. I am scanning now for no pay at a facility that gets maybe 4 scans a day, and only some days. I am SO ready for an opportunity to scan all the time!!!

ava in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

34 months ago

Raiffe in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: I am in somewhat the same place.I am RDMS and,for One I'm having no luck with a job and every time I call the school "KU" FL.NO ONE calles back,and I'v asked to use the LAB after hrs.And as soon as you get in there they wont you to leave so that they can go home early.

do they allow outside us tech to use there lab

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

elle81 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

33 months ago

I have a similar issue. I graduated in 2011 and didn't have that great of clinical experience(some of my clinical sites were better than others). I did however find a job but ultimately lost it because they felt I needed more time to practice scanning. It's just so disheartening:( I paid so much money for a sub-par education and can't do anything with it. I need to find a job that will be willing to work with me and have me scanning daily but I don't think such a job exists.

JMC in Newark, Ohio

25 months ago

elle81 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin said: I have a similar issue. I graduated in 2011 and didn't have that great of clinical experience(some of my clinical sites were better than others). I did however find a job but ultimately lost it because they felt I needed more time to practice scanning. It's just so disheartening:( I paid so much money for a sub-par education and can't do anything with it. I need to find a job that will be willing to work with me and have me scanning daily but I don't think such a job exists.

Can I ask what school you graduated from? I'm in Ohio and trying to find a job in WI, so I can get back to my hometown (I'm originally from Milwaukee), and I'm worried I will have issues because my school here does only General and OB/GYN, and I've noticed that most of the schools in WI have Vascular included in their General Programs. :( Do you know if this would be an issue finding jobs? Have you since then found a job yourself?

AUS in Springfield, Missouri

21 months ago

Bobbie O in Jersey City, New Jersey said: was wondering if anyone can give me advice on additional training in ultrasound. My clinical experiences were not that great and I interviewed for job and was told I need more practice. I approached my school and they cannot help me. I asked to be placed in another clinical and they told me "no." I was told to call up hospitals and ask if I could volunteer, but I'm sure they will not let me touch patients because of malpractice issues, as I've been told.. I cannot seem to find a job in ultrasound with or without on the job training even though I am ARDMS registered. I appreciate any advice! Thanks!

Bobbie you may need to move. There maybe places in your area like mobile ultrasound companies. 3D ultrasound companies ect. I re-educate all of my employees even after they have finished schooling and are ARDMS reg. Hope this helps. Tammy

Daina in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

18 months ago

I graduated in December from mountain state university. I did my clinicals at a place that was sub-par and now it's been 6 months and I still can't scan. I owe so much and have nothing to show for it. No one will train me bc of insurance reasons, so I can't even get scanning time. I don't know if I can transfer all my credits for something else so I don't have to go back for too long. I need a job do bad. Any suggestions?

Hobo2012 in California

18 months ago

Daina in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: I graduated in December from mountain state university. I did my clinicals at a place that was sub-par and now it's been 6 months and I still can't scan. I owe so much and have nothing to show for it. No one will train me bc of insurance reasons, so I can't even get scanning time. I don't know if I can transfer all my credits for something else so I don't have to go back for too long. I need a job do bad. Any suggestions?

Yes, my suggestion is to move on from ultrasound. Find some other job and start making some money. But keep applying for ultrasound jobs you find. Who knows someone may be willing to take a new grad and train them. It does happen. I know a place that hired a new grad who can't really scan. But they hired her over experienced techs and worked with her on scanning.

Daina in Brooklyn, Maryland

18 months ago

Thank you for your thouhts

shahina asif in Toronto, Ontario

17 months ago

Hi
I m preparing for ardms ,spi.i need a study partner . If someone willing pl let me know ?

Daina in Bel Air, Maryland

17 months ago

I need help doing this as well. So if you find help plz let me know or we can try and study together.

laura galletta in Neptune, New Jersey

13 months ago

I graduated over a year ago. My clinical site was a joke. Have not scanned in over a year. I can go back to my school and scan but is very limited. I'm also looking for a refresher course. Not having any luck. I now live in Monmouth County. Can someone help me out?

fdsefed in Upland, California

12 months ago

I re-educate all of my employees even after they have finished schooling and are ARDMS reg. Hope this helps

www.onlineultrasoundtechnician.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

larry in Chicago, Illinois

11 months ago

Yeah, we do that too with our employees. You need to keep getting trained in order to keep it up with the technology.

<a href="www.ultrasoundtechniciansalarys.com/" title="ultrasound technician salary">www.ultrasoundtechniciansalarys.com/</a>

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.