Institute of Allied Medical Professions DELRAY beach FL

Comments (1 to 50 of 82)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

studentemail in delray beach, Florida

71 months ago

Does anyone here currently or in the past attended IAMP in Delray Beach FL? I am gathering up all the information I can before deciding if I should just attend PBCC(which will take longer to get in, but cheaper tuition), or IAMP,which is a quicker route but extremely expensive. I am so motivated and want to become a sonographer so bad. Is the school worth the tuition? EXPIERIENCES PLEASE! THANKS!!!

ano in New York, New York

71 months ago

studentemail in delray beach, Florida said: Does anyone here currently or in the past attended IAMP in Delray Beach FL? I am gathering up all the information I can before deciding if I should just attend PBCC(which will take longer to get in, but cheaper tuition), or IAMP,which is a quicker route but extremely expensive. I am so motivated and want to become a sonographer so bad. Is the school worth the tuition? EXPIERIENCES PLEASE! THANKS!!!

are they both accredited by CAAHEP? That is the main thing

studentemail in delray beach, Florida

71 months ago

ano in New York, New York said: are they both accredited by CAAHEP? That is the main thing

Yes they both are

ctsailor67

70 months ago

I just found the following posted on the NY State Department of Education page of license denials, penalties and fines. Thought it might be useful information.

333 Earle Ovington Blvd., Uniondale, New York

Agreement executed on June 10, 2009 for offering instruction without a proprietary school license at the above location. The school consented to terms which provided for a fine, refunds to students in a former MRI program, compliance with the Education Law and Commissioner's Regulations and additional penalties for further violations.

Anonymus in West Palm Beach, Florida

70 months ago

ctsailor67 said: I have heard that they are being sued by several students. I have heard there are also class action suits in the works. I have heard that they may be losing some accreditations. Stay away! There are many horror stories about the Delray campus specifically.

I would def re-consider going to this school....there are in fact lawsuits in the works and pending. I have heard students that were VERY un-happy with the education and loss of money let alone time wasted. The school should be closed!!

I would attend PBCC

Current Student in Boca Raton, Florida

70 months ago

Indeed, it is horror stories. I will try to ask about it on campus in Delray, meanwhile you may get a little bit more info about IAMP in discussion "IAMP-vs-Keiser-South-Florida"

recent grad in delray beach

68 months ago

ctsailor said: I already have a list of people started. I already have a lawyer. I don't know if we have spoken, but if not, we need to connect. Leave an email if possible. I'm looking into starting a website where people can go to anonymously get and share information. You won't believe the stories people are sharing with me about IAMP and what they've been told, what has happened to them etc. These are good people that are trying to make better lives for themselves and their families. As far as I'm concerned, they were robbed. It is so sad.

Sounds like sour grapes. Having had the most positive and productive experienee at IAMP, it was sad to encounter poor students that made even poorer excuses for there lack of interest and effort. Some have such a feeling of entitlement while others strive to accomplish. Ms. Vidal, while always very busy never neglected the students and always made herself available to us. Her mission was respect and professionalism.
She was the bomb!

ctsailor

68 months ago

I'm glad you had a positive experience, but if you actually are a recent grad, you know what is really going on there. It's no secret. I have made dozens of contacts with people who's lives have truly been damaged as a result of events beyond their control. These are good people who worked hard, but did not receive what they paid for. Their stories are consistent as they relate to misinformation and a campus culture that seems to embrace threats and intimidation. These stories are not unique to any one IAMP campus, but some seem worse than others.

Current Student in Lake Worth, Florida

68 months ago

If you have a hand full of unhappy students over the thousands of graduates that have been able to succeed, my guess is that you are not a graduate. I work very hard in school and I wouldn't be as successfull as I am without the help of the instructors at IAMP. If you spent half the time studying that you spend on this website trying to bash my school then maybe you would be a graduate too. Get a life!!

ctsailor

68 months ago

Current student, I have no issue with you or any other student. You don't know anything about me or my situation, so I'm not sure why you feel the need to attack me personally. Either you don't know what you are talking about or you have some personal agenda.

This forum has been a very useful tool to help students organize, that all have had some horrible things happen to them. One thing that might help you understand is the fact that clinical instuctors, current and past employees have talked to me off the record about the ongoing problems with IAMP. They all acknowledge these problems are very real. All are prepared to speak on the record if subpoenaed.

I don't wish what happened to us on anyone. Perhaps this information will be helpful to someone who is thoroughly researching the life changing decision of where to enroll and what to study. I'm glad you had a positive experience. I have no desire to engage in a dispure with you. I wish you well.

68 months ago

Dear ctsailor nobody is trying to attack you personally - we don't know you and your situation, as well as we don't know what are those problems with IAMP in NY, you are talking about.
But,I can tell you that I personally persuaded a few students, who were expelled from clinical sites and got very upset, not to file a lawsuits, but instead change their attitude. It was very hard for them, but they made that change for better. Now I am very proud of them.
Current Student in Lake Worth has a good point and it doesn't look like he(she) is bringing his(her) personal agenda to me.
Here, in IAMP DELRAY (I repeat DELRAY), all students work very hard to graduate and our school is doing everything to help us to succeed.
We all want to help people in their life changing decision of where to enroll and what to study and our opinions should be fair and balanced.

Kristi current student in Delray Beach in Boca Raton, Florida

68 months ago

Current Student in Boca Raton, Florida said: Dear ctsailor nobody is trying to attack you personally - we don't know you and your situation, as well as we don't know what are those problems with IAMP in NY, you are talking about.
But,I can tell you that I personally persuaded a few students, who were expelled from clinical sites and got very upset, not to file a lawsuits, but instead change their attitude. It was very hard for them, but they made that change for better. Now I am very proud of them.
Current Student in Lake Worth has a good point and it doesn't look like he(she) is bringing his(her) personal agenda to me.
Here, in IAMP DELRAY (I repeat DELRAY), all students work very hard to graduate and our school is doing everything to help us to succeed.
We all want to help people in their life changing decision of where to enroll and what to study and our opinions should be fair and balanced.

Thank you currenr student in Boca. I too am working very hard to graduate. I love my classes and I look forward to working as a tech. I wish CT Sailor would come and visit our location. Maybe he can find what he is looking for.

pick another in Boca Raton, Florida

68 months ago

I don't recommend for anyone to attend IAMP at the Delray Campus. They really do a wonderful job at presenting their "PROFESSIONALISM" to all the 'possible future students' going through the admissions process. They take you on a grand tour to the lab. As you walk down the hallway, they show you all the wonderful clinical sites they have hanging on the walls in picture frames."Very Elite". You arrive at the 2 labs and see about 10 machines neatly lined up for practice, but fail to mention how the 'state-of-the-art' ultrasound equipment are all broken, except 2/3. They show you this well printed paper schedule of all your classes per semester, including the dates of holidays and semester breaks that you will take for the next '18 months'. Then they put a smile on your face when they say there is not a long waiting list(like PBCC), and you can start the beginning of your career with the next starting class. After that, they waive their newly acquired accreditation in your face that WILL allow you to sit for your boards as soon as you graduate. They tell you about all the different career routes you can take after graduating because of their CAAHEP approved modalities they train. Then they tell you the price,$50 grand, but re-assure you that their financial aid department is very strong and great about qualifying their students for loans and grants.Next thing you know,you're sitting in the program directors office getting interviewed,to determine if you fit their standard as a 'grade A student' to attend and represent their school. They officially suck you in when they tell you, "Yes you are eligible". Youre so excited to start your classes after attending orientation,where you meet this funny,witty,professional staff who rants and raves about how much their school has to offer.I gotta give them credit, they are talented actors/salesmen. They paint a very pretty picture, but fail to follow through.Actually THEY NEVER INTENDED TO FOLLOW THROUGH. to be continued next pos

68 months ago

When CAAHEP came for an inspection, the lab was fully stocked, gowns, gloves, filled to the top gel bottles, paper towel. That was probably the only time I have seen the lab have all the supplies its supposed too. They had these white lab coats hanging up in another 'nursing' lab, that they never had before or after the visit. It was kind of funny. I'm not writing this for the sole purpose to talk trash, I just want people to know my experience. This school has all the tools they need to really be a phenomenal school, they just use those tools for the wrong reasons. The 1 thing I can positively affirm about IAMP Delray, is that every teacher I've had, regardless of their ability to teach or not, really DO care about their students. They really want their students to learn. Some of them may come off as terrible teachers, but maybe its because they are told to teach an enormous amount of information with an unrealistic time frame. They get frustrated, themselves. They really do their best, and I don't hold them responsible at all for the disorganization of the school. The clinical site situation is ridiculous. Pray that you like your first site because that's most likely going to be the only site you have. They don't rotate you every semester as 'promised'. There are a lot of students who need sites. No, there aren't enough sites. A lot of students that have sites are ready to move on to different ones for the learning experience in a different clinical environment, but don't try to rotate in fear of losing their old or new site. The clinical vibe is more of a "TAKE WHAT YOU CAN GET" situation, rather than it being what you paid for, hands on training in each offered modality before graduating. The sad thing is that students PAY THE SCHOOL for this half-ass internship. They keep bringing in tons of students and they raised tuition from $30grand to $50grand, knowing they don't have enough clinical sites for placement. So students wait and end up being there for way mor

68 months ago

They keep bringing in tons of students and they raised tuition from $30grand to $50grand, knowing they don't have enough clinical sites for placement. So students wait and end up being there for way more than 18 months. They only have 1 clinical coordinator for the whole DMS program. How? They don't have enough teachers, but keep starting new classes. The stunts that some of the staff members have pulled were so off the wall, I couldn't believe they were suppose to be our mentors. The current students there, whether they like the school or not, know exactly what I am talking about and can not deny that. There is no structure there. There is no excuse for a school making all this money to be this unorganized. Don't waste your money and time with this school. Its a business that definitely does strive, but at the expense of the teachers and students. I'm pretty confident that they will lose their CAAHEP accreditation in the future. They do have a new program director, who is a very nice man. I think he can do great things with what he has to work with. But he can only do so much before someone higher up stops him, for the sake of saving money. Awful school.

68 months ago

Very interesting post PICK ANOTHER IN BOCA!
Despite the fact that I see our school from another way, I think it is very helpful to others to hear all points of view. It will help them to make their own decision based on their own priorities in life.
I wish our school to keep all accreditations for very long time and to add even more to existing ones.

68 months ago

That will be nice if they did, and if they do, it will probably be because of the major staff changes in the school that has happened very recently. When I stated before that I was not confident they'd keep the accreditation, I was not saying I did not want them too. Now with some of the staff changes, everything can turn around for the better. If that were the case, YES I agree with you, I hope they get more credentials because like I stated before: IAMP Delray has all the tools it needs to be a wonderful school. My classmates are wonderful and I love my teachers. Its just a small handful of people in high places that either can't figure it out, or know, but have alterior motives. Those few people ultimately have the power to make everything better. Ironic how the smaller number has the greater impact.

Sara in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

68 months ago

Why were they expelled? I am thinking about applying for IAMP.

New Student at Delray Campus in Boca Raton, Florida

68 months ago

recent grad in delray beach said: Sounds like sour grapes. Having had the most positive and productive experienee at IAMP, it was sad to encounter poor students that made even poorer excuses for there lack of interest and effort. Some have such a feeling of entitlement while others strive to accomplish. Ms. Vidal, while always very busy never neglected the students and always made herself available to us. Her mission was respect and professionalism.
She was the bomb!

Hi, may I ask how long ago you graduated? I start classes pretty soon and have not yet spoken to anyone that actually graduatedfrom the Delray Campus, so I am a little bit skeptical. Did you have any issues with your externship? Waiting time? Have you been able to find a job? Thanks for sharing your experience.

recent grad in delray in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida

68 months ago

New Student at Delray Campus in Boca Raton, Florida said: Hi, may I ask how long ago you graduated? I start classes pretty soon and have not yet spoken to anyone that actually graduatedfrom the Delray Campus, so I am a little bit skeptical. Did you have any issues with your externship? Waiting time? Have you been able to find a job? Thanks for sharing your experience.

March of 2009. I'm not sure what you mean by wait time. We all had an assigned schedule to go out for our clinical rotations just like all of our other classes. My externship went well, it was a real learning experience. I was fortunate to find a job shortly after graduation. The best of luck to you.

DMS Driven in West Palm Beach, Florida

68 months ago

Sara in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: Why were they expelled? I am thinking about applying for IAMP.

I know that CT Sailor is not an Ultrasound Tech or student, he was in a different program and couldn't make it. He is disgruntled and ruining our forum. this was a place to focus on Diagnostic Medical Sonography. His obsession against IAMP is taking away from this forum. Talk Ultrasound or MOVE ON.

DMS Driven in West Palm Beach, Florida

68 months ago

ctsailor said: Current student, I have no issue with you or any other student. You don't know anything about me or my situation, so I'm not sure why you feel the need to attack me personally. Either you don't know what you are talking about or you have some personal agenda.

This forum has been a very useful tool to help students organize, that all have had some horrible things happen to them. One thing that might help you understand is the fact that clinical instuctors, current and past employees have talked to me off the record about the ongoing problems with IAMP. They all acknowledge these problems are very real. All are prepared to speak on the record if subpoenaed.

I don't wish what happened to us on anyone. Perhaps this information will be helpful to someone who is thoroughly researching the life changing decision of where to enroll and what to study. I'm glad you had a positive experience. I have no desire to engage in a dispure with you. I wish you well.

What happened to you exactly??????? And if you are not prepared to "speak on the record" in this forum, take it to a different one. It is indeed distracting.

Medical Friend in Winter Springs, Florida

68 months ago

IAMP! What a fantastic school. The teachers are great, they have distance education. They are accredited and you can sit for the test as soon as you graduate. I think it was the best investment I made in education.

Medical Friend in Winter Springs, Florida

68 months ago

as a past student, I looked into this - its so not true. they have more accreditations than ever before AND they even got a new LPN program. How cool is that?

ctsailor

68 months ago

DMS, This forum was started by someone gathering information about the school. That's what these forums are for, "to find out about companies and share experiences." I'm not sure why you feel the need to be the moderator.

It appears I'm one of 7 people on here that have had a negative experience. Not sure why you've singled me out. I just reviewed my posts. Not sure what's so offensive to you. Did you read posts by pick another? How much more detail could you possibly want. Good for him/her for writing such a thorough, detailed account.

I wish I had that information before enrolling. I'm sure there are many out there who are grateful that this information is available. It's then up to the individual to sort through it all and make an informed decision.

68 months ago

To ctsailor

It is amazing how you pick up and turn into personal matter any post with a different opinion from yours.

A few times you were asked to give specific details about your personal "bad experience" with IAMP. Where are they? Can you do it in the way pick another did? Let people know that information before they might enroll.

I am glad you stopped to call all new positive posts as written by IAMP representative, who is constantly changing names.

Avoid IAMP in Scottsdale, Arizona

68 months ago

It is so obvious that IAMP staff is posting again. ctsailor is just trying to help prospective students avoid losing their money and their credit.

Being swindled by IAMP is personal. As you can see, once a student recognizes that they have been swindled by IAMP then they are threatened.

RippedoffbyIAMP in Florida

68 months ago

Couldn't agree more. I think we all know which ones are posted by staff. I know that they watch this site ALL DAY LONG. I've seen it with my own eyes. Is anyone naive enough to think they aren't posting to it.

68 months ago

To Avoid IAMP in Scottsdale, Arizona

Unfortunately you also failed as an clairvoyant, unless you include students from IAMP Delray into "stuff" category. But I think to be a student and to be a representative it is a two different things.

Anyway,I agree with you - to being swindled by IAMP is personal.
And, the reason is that we all have different personal attitudes and personal prejudice to the surrounding world. In the same circumstances one person can fail, while another can succeed.

RippedoffbyIAMP in Florida

68 months ago

That didn't take long.

CTultra in New Britain, Connecticut

68 months ago

ctsailor said: I already have a list of people started. I already have a lawyer. I don't know if we have spoken, but if not, we need to connect. Leave an email if possible. I'm looking into starting a website where people can go to anonymously get and share information. You won't believe the stories people are sharing with me about IAMP and what they've been told, what has happened to them etc. These are good people that are trying to make better lives for themselves and their families. As far as I'm concerned, they were robbed. It is so sad.

keep us informed. I also attended that school, and although I am happily employed three years later. I would like to give my feedback regarding their practices.

Annonymous Student in Delray Beach, Florida

67 months ago

You would think that the Administration would do whatever they need to do to build a good reputation, but their actions only demonstrate that they are only Power hungry; instill fear in their students gives them some sense of Power I guess. I agree with the unfortunate Clinical situations they are having. Rumors circulate from students that are currently on rotation, that they don't have enough clinical locations to go around. IAMP has apparently lost a lot of locations due to placing students that have bad habits...but where do you think they got those bad habits?...at school of course. But, then again, how can they appropriately train good professionals if they are not good professionals themselves; they threaten their students whenever the student has a complaint or an issue to address. As far as lab supplies, we just recently started to have a stocked lab, perhaps they read the previous posting on this site and realized there was a problem, because for several months some of us students would bring in our own supplies, or we'd have to go to the bathroom to get paper towels, or had to cover ourselves with table paper. IAMP even gives the Professors a hard time about making photocopies for their students....now that is ridiculous.... One professor the other day brought in her own paper; and the students have offered to bring in paper and toner; what is up with that? With the amount of money they are getting, and if it is true that the tuition is now $50K, then you'd think that they could buy a good copy machine and enough supplies. Vidal is the worst Administrator that I have personally enoucntered...the school is a mess, because of her failure to administer adequately. I was hoping to go to a school with a good reputation, how sad it makes me to see that it doesn't; but not many accreditated schools around, so one has to just suck it up, do the best that you can and make a "name for yourself" and not depend on this aweful school reputation ruin it 4 u.

67 months ago

Avoid IAMP in Scottsdale, Arizona said: It is so obvious that IAMP staff is posting again. ctsailor is just trying to help prospective students avoid losing their money and their credit.

Being swindled by IAMP is personal. As you can see, once a student recognizes that they have been swindled by IAMP then they are threatened.

Threatened? By whom? Please post is so we can all see it.

67 months ago

To Kristi current student in Delray Beach

Kristi I doubt that anybody will post a content of a so-called threat.
People think that in order to succeed and become a sonographer all they need to do is just to pay a tuition. The rest is a school's problem. Don't worry about your motivation and interest in learning process. Don't bother about extra reading or research, instead enjoy text massaging, listening mp-3 player or taking a nap in a classroom. If you got low grades it means that teachers are bad and school gives you very difficult material to study. If school will tell you that with such attitude you are not gonna make it,
you may consider it as a threat. Don't even think that it is an attempt to wake you up and to help you to graduate.

I can't believe that so many people still live in a babysitting age and blame everybody around. School may be is not perfect, but if you want to change the world change your-self first.

Thank you for your message and ... be ready for hear a lot of interesting opinions about who you are after you have posted a positive post:)

67 months ago

Kristi...
Threats are made behind closed doors, so difficult to post someones words that are not written on paper. Believe me, if I had it documented, I would be posting it. Vidal makes the threats, along with demeaning and intimidating comments; I hear that is her nature, to then pat you on the back. Many students have verbalized their experiences. So, I assure it isn't a single incident. This is a recurring problem. Students really fear her.
In any school you will find students that just do not do what they are supposed to do and fail-out which its nobody's fault but their own; this is just normal. Unfortunately there are students, that still need and depend on proper guidance, and the Administration is not doing very well in their guidance, so these unfortunate students don't do very well. We as students expect to get what we pay for; structure, organization and positive mentoring. Unfortunatly, IAMP Delray is lacking in these qualities. I have hope that soon there will be some positive changes and I will certainly post them, but for now it is a shame that top Administration has brought their reputation to this.
Furthermore, as quoted by Current Student in Boca, "If school will tell you that with such attitude you are not gonna make it,you may consider it as a threat. Don't even think that it is an attempt to wake you up and to help you to graduate." Sorry to disagree in your approach in waking people up to help them graduate; because you can make a point and help students that may be experiencing difficulties in a more positive mentoring fashion, without putting them down; deamining their character; distroying their self-esteem;w/out emotionally beating them up/knocking them down, then kicking them while they are down; not really listening to them; threaten suspension. Then after beating them up emotionally, you put out your hand and help them up with a pat on the back saying, "Everything is going to be okay." That is threatening Bully behavior

67 months ago

To Annonymous Student in Delray Beach,

Thank you for post, it was very interesting to read it.
I appreciate the absence of personal attacks, rudeness,and not putting labels on other people.

I want to bring another point to think about.
Personally, I consider my education in IAMP as my work - the harder I work the more benefits I have. List of benefits includes but not limited to knowledge, confidence on clinical site, and respect from teachers and students.
So, this is a job. You may argue that you have paid a lot of money to IAMP. Yes you did and for that money they are giving you knowledge and experience in sonography. Your job is to take it.

If you don't do your job properly in any other place you would be fired in a matter of days or even hours. In IAMP they try to wake you up.
Many would not agree with IAMP's approach in waking people up. Why? Because you don't want to change your personal attitude toward the world. You want the world to spin around you, instead of living in harmony with surrounding world.
Administration and Ms. Vidal in a first place, are trying to change your attitude for better. It is not an easy and painless process. But in defense you call it as threatening, destroying self-esteem; w/out emotionally beating up/knocking down.
All above words you used could be replace by just one - arrogance. The sooner you will get rid of it the sooner you will start to enjoy sunshine in Florida and being a student in IAMP.
Nothing personal, just trying to help:)

67 months ago

No more need to make a point; its obvious to me that everything that needed to be said has been said. ....I wish all of you the very best in all your future endeavors. Should I see a positive change in school I will gladly let you know. For now, just watch your back, especially if you are still going to this school. I don't think that the administration is a very happy camper right about now. Just hold your head up and focus on your studies, stear clear of those that can hurt you and you should be okay. Should anyone harrass you, then my only suggestion is report the accounts to the proper authorities. I still have hope that something good will come-out of this forum. I like to stay positive :D ....Thank you to all that have participated and helped with useful information.

Anonymous in Delray Beach, Florida

67 months ago

I think what everyone here needs to realize is this field (Sonography) is unprofessional from top to bottom. If you are smart, professional, have a desire to achieve and to learn, sonography is not a field for you. My clinical experiences, from beginning to end, were all about trying to prove to my instructors that I wasn't TOO smart. I was told by Karen Vidal and Dr. Prasad, a number of times, that I needed to "dumb down" or I would intimidate the techs I was working with. So, I continued in clinical sites where the techs had no interest in teaching. Why would they? They get nothing from it and it just makes them less productive. I spent the better part of two years doing paperwork and answering phones. Very seldom did I touch a transducer! On top of this, there are no jobs in South Florida. We have a minimum of eight schools graduating 50-60 people a semester. That is hundreds new graduates in the work force along with many experienced techs looking for jobs all in this area. I have applied for positions that had hundreds of applicants. Not an even playing field for a new tech. MY advice: GO TO A PUBLIC UNIVERSITY AND GET YOUR DEGREE IN A DIFFERENT FIELD.

former student

67 months ago

Run, run as fast as you can. Save your money and time-- not to mention your mental well-being.

studentemail in delray beach, Florida said: Does anyone here currently or in the past attended IAMP in Delray Beach FL? I am gathering up all the information I can before deciding if I should just attend PBCC(which will take longer to get in, but cheaper tuition), or IAMP,which is a quicker route but extremely expensive. I am so motivated and want to become a sonographer so bad. Is the school worth the tuition? EXPIERIENCES PLEASE! THANKS!!!

What happened to profession in Pikesville, Maryland

67 months ago

TO ANONYMOUS regarding the Ultrasound profession being unprofessional from top to bottom.

Sonographers use to be the most highly respected people in Imaging Services. The "for profit schools" like IAMP and Sanford Brown have ruined this profession.
The for profit schools will take any student who can qualify for the loans. Then they hire new graduate instructors to teach these sub optimal students. The new graduate instructors, who often are misrepresented to the students as having 5 years of experience, have no professionalism themselves. Any new graduate who would teach has no conscience or morals. They just want the paycheck and aid in the lies these schools tell. At the end of the day it is the patients who are misdiagnosed and suffer from these schools with poor standards. I often wonder about the karma that these dispicable admin people will reap one day when they become ill themselves. The physicans no longer have faith in sonography due to these schools and the so called sonographers they produce. That is what happened to this once noble profession.

sablestar in Hempstead, New York

67 months ago

ct sailor im very intrested in talking to you. I have recently applied to the school and have had problems. If yor willing to talk my email is sablestar9@yahoo.com

ctsailor said: Current student, I have no issue with you or any other student. You don't know anything about me or my situation, so I'm not sure why you feel the need to attack me personally. Either you don't know what you are talking about or you have some personal agenda.

67 months ago

To: What happened to profession in Pikesville, Maryland,I can definitely understand the point you are trying to make, as far as how sonographers are losing their credibility with the doctors because of poor quality education. What I understood from what you wrote was that, these students(including myself) don't stand a chance as being genuinely good sonographers because of the poor guidence they are exposed too early in their ultrasound world. And yeah you're right, but only about the students who are easily manipulated, and dependant on being accepted by everyone. They wont live up to the doctors standards.But for everyone else, the majority, I find a lot of your post kind of ignorant and offensive.I really look forward to this career and yes,I come from a school that I am not quick to brag about,but no matter what lack of guidence I've had, I KNOW that I am going to be a great sonographer one day. I can speak for a lot of my classmates when I say that I am not going to let a few idiots in admin get in the way of my goal. You are 100%right when you say the only requirement to get accepted is to have the ability to pay the tuition. I agree. They are a business, and all they care about is getting their money,yet I cant say the same for the teachers(IAMP Teachers).They really do try, and their intentions are good.the fact that some of them being new graduates with no field expierience teaching us, does NOT make them immoral w/OUT a conscious. They take these jobs to mentor the Ultrasound Techs with nothing but the best intentions. You are pretty much labeling them as sociopaths, having no conscious, and that isnt fair.Those type of statements you write hold no credibility.Doctors still hold sonographers in a respected position or they wouldnt hire them!These shady schools dont produce SUBOPTIMAL students!Its each student's decision to make about how influenced they will let themselves be. (cont next post)

67 months ago

Patients dont get misdiagnosed because of mistakes sonographers make. They get misdiagnosed because the radiologist did not utilize everything they are required to know to make accurate diagnosis. Sonographers havent lost their credibility at all with doctors. I understand that your intentions were not bad towards the current students, but what you dont realize is that, your way of perceiving this, is making it harder for the students(the motivated ones) to stay optimistic about this substandard education.Dont judge the new teachers who get hired out of school. They do have the students best interest at heart. They are the ones that are actually going to help make the change, BECAUSE they went through it too. Dont label Ultrasound, as a profession, as being a joke, not noble. When you state all those things, you are giving these terrible schools the power to determine the fate of the new eager sonographers. More simply stated, what you wrote, was just as bad, if not, worse than what the idiots in admin are doing. I am sorry in advance if anything I wrote offended you. It just wasn’t accurate or fair to us students, who are playing this difficult hand of cards we were dealt in the most honest way we can.

67 months ago

And one more thing, the whole importance of sonographers being accredited through ARDMS, is to prove that each qualified Ultrasound Technician is capable of practice by NATIONAL ARDMS STANDARDS. This certification has nothing to do with WHERE you got your training from. If you pass the test, regardless of what school you came from, you ARE just as qualified as anyone else who passed the boards. There should never be any discrimination and labeling of 'so called sonographers' based on where you received your education.

another boca student in Miami, Florida

67 months ago

DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY AND GO TO PBCC!!!! THE ADMINISTRATION AT IAMP IS SO DISORGANIZED. THEY GOT RID OF ALL THE GREAT TEACHERS AND YOUR LEFT WITH TEACHERS THAT DONT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING. THE HEAD LADY DRESSES LIKE A SOMETHING YOU WOULD PAY MONEY TO SEE. THEY JUST WANT TO INROLL AS MANY PEOPLE AS THEY CAN GET TO BRING IN THE MONEY. LITTLE DO YOU KNOW THERE ARE NO JOBS IN SOUTH FLORIDA. THEY DONT TELL YOU THAT!!!!

ARDMS is flawed in Charlotte, North Carolina

67 months ago

TO PICK ANOTHER IN BOCA- I totally agree with the poster of-What has Happened to Sonography Profession.

1) The ARDMS is a flawed exam. Anyone can pass the ARDMS registry without ever having touched a transducer or produced a diagnostic image themselves. Imaging Managers have been aware of this fact for 15 years at least. This is about to be addressed with CAAHEP and the ARDMS very soon by those of us who care about the patients and the profession.

2) The Radiologist is only as good as the images they receive. The ultrasound images from the new sonographers are so poor that the Radiologist has to order a CAT scan or MRI to make a diagnosis. Then the attitude from ordering physicians, is to just omit the ultrasound scans and go straight to CAT or MRI scans. Sonography is the most operator dependent of all the imaging modalities. If we do not recognize the pathology and produce and image to prove it, then it is not there!! This is happening everyday with new graduates from the "for profit" schools. They just claim everyone is Normal and blow right past tumores. This is a fact!!

3) The art of scanning and producing diagnsotic images from sound waves is being lost. New graduates teaching students is a recipe for medical disaster. The new graduate instructors can barely scan themselves. The new graduate instructors only know one or two windows to scan from because they were also taught by new graduates. Everyone in the ultrasound profession knows that there is a 5 year learning curve before a sonographer feels totally competent.

I hope the for profit administrators and their family members are on the receiving end of these life threatening misdiagnosises themselves one day. Maybe thye should think about that instead of money for a change!

67 months ago

ARDMS is flawed in Charlotte, North Carolina said: TO PICK ANOTHER IN BOCA- I totally agree with the poster of-What has Happened to Sonography Profession.

1) The ARDMS is a flawed exam. Anyone can pass the ARDMS registry without ever having touched a transducer or produced a diagnostic image themselves. Imaging Managers have been aware of this fact for 15 years at least. This is about to be addressed with CAAHEP and the ARDMS very soon by those of us who care about the patients and the profession.

2) The Radiologist is only as good as the images they receive. The ultrasound images from the new sonographers are so poor that the Radiologist has to order a CAT scan or MRI to make a diagnosis. Then the attitude from ordering physicians, is to just omit the ultrasound scans and go straight to CAT or MRI scans. Sonography is the most operator dependent of all the imaging modalities. If we do not recognize the pathology and produce and image to prove it, then it is not there!! This is happening everyday with new graduates from the "for profit" schools. They just claim everyone is Normal and blow right past tumores. This is a fact!!

3) The art of scanning and producing diagnsotic images from sound waves is being lost. New graduates teaching students is a recipe for medical disaster. The new graduate instructors can barely scan themselves. The new graduate instructors only know one or two windows to scan from because they were also taught by new graduates. Everyone in the ultrasound profession knows that there is a 5 year learning curve before a sonographer feels totally competent.

I hope the for profit administrators and their family members are on the receiving end of these life threatening misdiagnosises themselves one day. Maybe thye should think about that instead of money for a change!

You make very good points. I can't argue with any of that. Thank you. I wish there were more DMS programs available that were not private institutions.

former student and graduate in Atlanta, Georgia

67 months ago

CTultra in New Britain, Connecticut said: keep us informed. I also attended that school, and although I am happily employed three years later. I would like to give my feedback regarding their practices.

I graduated and have a ultrasound job in a doctors office. I have been preparing for the physics registry I am thinking I can take. According to the ARDMS prereq's I am not sure I will qualify for the abdomin registry. I have some college but not a degree and the Atlanta school isnt accredited yet. All the hospitals, imaging centers and most doctors offices require RDMS some say if you can test within a year. Anyway I thought if I worked a year as a DMS I would be qulified to sit for the abdomin test but, it seems you have to have graduated from a program with 84 quarter hours or 60 semester hours in addition to working a year as DMS. Thank you for helping me figure this out. I am going to call the school also to see if they will help me.

67 months ago

another boca student in Miami, Florida said: DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY AND GO TO PBCC!!!! THE ADMINISTRATION AT IAMP IS SO DISORGANIZED. THEY GOT RID OF ALL THE GREAT TEACHERS AND YOUR LEFT WITH TEACHERS THAT DONT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING. THE HEAD LADY DRESSES LIKE A SOMETHING YOU WOULD PAY MONEY TO SEE. THEY JUST WANT TO INROLL AS MANY PEOPLE AS THEY CAN GET TO BRING IN THE MONEY. LITTLE DO YOU KNOW THERE ARE NO JOBS IN SOUTH FLORIDA. THEY DONT TELL YOU THAT!!!!

PBCC inrolls students, IAMP enrolls them

Doc in Roswell, New Mexico

65 months ago

I am speechless. I have been considering Delray Beach for DMS. I literally just started to apply on line and pay the fee. I have a bachelors degree already and these posts have just blew me away. From the outside looking in, it appeared that DMS was valued and professional as something I really wanted to learn. But after reading the posts, as knowing the business world I have succumbed to not entering Delray or becoming a DMS. I was moving from NM to that area to start a new career. However, I was blinded. Whew! I feel 50,000. richer. I'll find something else meaningful to do with my life.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.