Job Shadowing an Ultrasound Technician

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Cyn in NYC in Astoria, New York

55 months ago

Can anyone please help me! In order to apply to the Diagnostic Medical Imaging program at SUNY Downstate Medical, I need to have some observation hours or shadowing hours. I contacted the school and they have no recommendation of somewhere to get these hours. But every hospital I contact says they don't allow it due to HIPAA rules! I am very frustrated with this situation. Can anybody help shed some light on the matter?! Thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

MissLys in South Richmond Hill, New York

55 months ago

I would talk to the school. I cant see why you need observation hours anyway before you learn anything. That seems a little strange to me. HIPAA will prevent you from doing this, as you know. So tell them this. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

1crewfan

55 months ago

I'm running into the same problem! Nobody will allow me to shadow, but I'm wondering how other people get into the same program I'm applying to. I'm in St. Louis and I keep getting HIPPA thrown in my face!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

nataliadiana in East Hampton, New York

55 months ago

1crewfan said: I'm running into the same problem! Nobody will allow me to shadow, but I'm wondering how other people get into the same program I'm applying to. I'm in St. Louis and I keep getting HIPPA thrown in my face!

I also had the same problem. Finally I got luck .. but I think I could have gotten him in trouble. I was referred by someone I knew if I could shadow for a day and I did and then I asked if I could volunteer and the directer of the volunteer dept I could tell was annoyed that I did. I felt horrible b/c I thought i got someone is trouble. I mean that could be a potential employer. Anyways I ended up volunteering at the hospital doing front desk work which has nothing to do with sonography but I was told it still looks good that I have hospital environment experience... So basically I shadowed for a day and did 30hrs of volunteer front desk experience which included answering phones and directing patients to their destination. Hopefully that will be good enough.

Jennifer

54 months ago

I recently graduated from an Ultrasound program and we were required to have observations hours to get into the program. I asked my teachers and they gave me the numbers of some of the clinical sites that they use. All I had to do was call and ask and then show up. I never had any HIPPA problems. However, I can see how hospitals and clinics would worry about that. When you talk to these hospitals and clinics ask if you can sign papers saying that you will abide by the HIPPA laws. You can either ask the Ultrasound department or go to Human Resources. Someplace in the hospital that deals with volunteer work may be able to help you. I hope things work out. Just keep trying this at different places. Someone will help you because they had to do the same when they were students.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

volunteer in Patchogue, New York

51 months ago

I would be available as a volunteer to anyone needing an ultrasound "patient" for classroom or private practice. I have volunteered for students for this before. I am open to any ultrasound scans that can help to improve or expand one's knowledge. I am in the NYC tri-state area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Justine Higgins in Suffolk, Virginia

42 months ago

I am having the same problem I am applying for the diagnostic medical sonography program in just a few months and i have finished all of my prerequisites and am currently holding a 3.6 GPA and I am in need of volunteer work or i would love to be able to shadow an ultrasound tech i am having a lot of problems finding volunteer work through hospitals and i really need these hours to get into the program if anyone can help i would great greatly appreciate it please and thank you. I am from Hampton Roads VA.

TaraNC in Lenoir, North Carolina

42 months ago

Justine Higgins in Suffolk, Virginia said: I am having the same problem I am applying for the diagnostic medical sonography program in just a few months and i have finished all of my prerequisites and am currently holding a 3.6 GPA and I am in need of volunteer work or i would love to be able to shadow an ultrasound tech i am having a lot of problems finding volunteer work through hospitals and i really need these hours to get into the program if anyone can help i would great greatly appreciate it please and thank you. I am from Hampton Roads VA.

wow what I am reading is ridiculous. My program set up all our shadowing. All I had to do was show up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.