Job outlook!????

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 62 of 62)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

Karry in Massachusetts

19 months ago

I think it does matter. I'm guessing your school wasn't accredited, maybe wrong. All the techs from my school have jobs and at all my clinical sites they come from this school. Hope you find something soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

sonotech12 in post jeff, New York

18 months ago

Hi,
i came across this forum. i am a RDMS tech for 12 years. There are tons of jobs out there. i just have to give a little insight to anybody who saying they cant get a Job. 1st, the school that you go to or graduated from is the most important. even CAAHEP schools can have very bad reputations and the hospitals and doctors offices know it. you have to research the field ask questions about a certain school, ask doctors offices sono techs, HR personal. a resume with a bad school on it gets tossed not even looked at. that is why even if you speak to someone on the phone or in person while filling out application their polite response is come back after you get experience. 2nd, you need to network,network,network while in the clinical sites,when your working you have to have the ability to show you are eager to work, you have good work ethic, and you have what it takes to be a sono tech. 3rd, resume and how you conduct yourself in an interview is very important. 4th, last but not least do not feel you are better than what they offer, until you have the experience and people know your name you are nothing in the very small radiology field. you work for what they give you, you work hard and you do your job right,you will be able to work your way to what you want.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Disenchanted in Tallmadge, Ohio

15 months ago

There are no jobs in Ohio unless you know someone or have lots of experience. I have been trying to get a full time job ever since graduation two years ago. No one has worked harder at looking for a job than me. I apply to everything and have sent out all most 200 resumes through the mail. I have only a PRN job. At this point I would be thrilled if I could get a part time job--that is just as hard to get. I have interviewed at many hospitals and I hear the same story every time: We get hundreds of applications for one job!!! It all comes down to experience or who you know (that one always works!). Good luck finding a job!
The crazy thing is that everything on the internet says that it is a growing field. They sure had me fooled!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

jobseeker76 in Troy, Michigan

15 months ago

Disenchanted in Tallmadge, Ohio said: There are no jobs in Ohio unless you know someone or have lots of experience. I have been trying to get a full time job ever since graduation two years ago. No one has worked harder at looking for a job than me. I apply to everything and have sent out all most 200 resumes through the mail. I have only a PRN job. At this point I would be thrilled if I could get a part time job--that is just as hard to get. I have interviewed at many hospitals and I hear the same story every time: We get hundreds of applications for one job!!! It all comes down to experience or who you know (that one always works!). Good luck finding a job!
The crazy thing is that everything on the internet says that it is a growing field. They sure had me fooled!

tell me about it. I have 13 years experience lost job 2 years ago because i was not certified. Certified immediateley but no job since two years getting frustated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

its difficult in Farifax, Virginia

10 months ago

A sonographer's gender is a determining factor in finding a position. Most hospitals will not allow a male to scan breast. All because a male tech on this board may scan breast, doesn't mean all hospitals will allow it. I haven't worked in a hospital where guys are allowed to do so. There are a few hospitals that will let a male scan transvaginal exams without a chaperone, but those hospitals are few and far between. And believe me, when a male tech has to ask his female coworkers to scan his female patient's pelvis bc of her religion or whatever, it puts a strain on the work room bc it always happens at the worst time, especially with a refugee demographic like in the upper Midwest where there are a lot of Somali and middle eastern patients.

So there are comments on here about people not finding work bc they aren't trying hard enough or whatever. Let me tell you, I had to move across the country and it took 175 applications, luck, and finding a city that no one would want to live in and a department that would only get 3 applications for open positions bc of how bad the city was. That was how I got a job, and the department sucked! They did crap half ass, but I was able to say I had experience. I was lucky to get a offer from a horrible department in a horrible city.

By the way, my boss in that horrible department said she would never hire a male tech bc they do not have time to allow a female tech to sit in on a exam while leaving patients waiting and a room empty... Yeah... that's how it is in the real world. The larger the department, the better the chances a male tech will have in finding a job. But its not a sure thing.

The job market in saturated. I have 3 years of experience and a year of working in a hospital that requires us to do just about everything in ultrasound. It's a great place to learn all of the weird things in the field that should get you a job anywhere.. so you would think. But that's far from the truth. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

ShanCiera44 in Atlanta, Georgia

10 months ago

Hi there,

The market is definitely picking back up and many more dentist jobs are becoming available. I would suggest just start monitoring companies you might be interested in working for. I know for sure Pacific Dental Services is hiring. Check out jobs.pacificdentalservices.com for their qualifications. Hope that helps Good Luck in the near future.

ShanCiera

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana

10 months ago

ShanCiera44 in Atlanta, Georgia said: Hi there,

The market is definitely picking back up and many more dentist jobs are becoming available. I would suggest just start monitoring companies you might be interested in working for. I know for sure Pacific Dental Services is hiring. Check out jobs.pacificdentalservices.com for their qualifications. Hope that helps Good Luck in the near future.

ShanCiera

Ultrasound techs not dental assistants.
Obvious this was advertising for the schools.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

grnmilw in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

10 months ago

April in Farmington, New Mexico said: I went to college for 4 years in sonogram and still no effin job. i aplied to all my local hospitals and small dr offices. now days u have to sleep with someone to get a damn job!

Did you ever get a job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Reinaps in Garden Grove, California

9 months ago

Ryan in Northridge, California said: Amen!

I can't understand why people with plenty of college work want to be an ultrasound tech when the market is saturated and the economy is lousy. The only people promoting this field are the for profit schools. Look at which jobs are going begging! Nurses, nurses, columns and columns of them on the indeed site. Wake up!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

James Eroche RDMS, RVT in Houma, Louisiana

2 months ago

Please, if you are a male and are considering going into diagnostic medical sonography, the only thing I can tell you is do not even think of it. The days when a person could make a decent living at this are gone, believe me. I am 56 years old with 26 years experience in medical sonography and I can not buy a job in the field right now. The last full time job I had I was mentally abused by the physician I worked with, and to tell you the truth, I am totally done with the hospital environment, totally. I would rather pick up shopping carts in a Wal-Mart parking lot before ever considering working in a hospital ever again. The last good days of ultrasound were in the 1990's, it's gone and will never come back. I have tried to even get minimum wage jobs, just to do something, and when the employers look at my resume they say I am over qualified for the position. I have purchased a G.E. Voluson laptop ultrasound machine and I am now in business for myself performing in home 3/4D fetal keepsake ultrasound imaging. If you would have told me 15 years ago I would be doing this now at the end of my career I would have told you, you were crazy. I am not getting rich by any measure, in fact, I am making less than I would if I were working an abusive, no life hospital job, but I would rather have a life and not have to put up with condescending, rude physicians than to make that dirty money again. I actually like what I do now and I am the boss and I don't take abuse from anyone anymore. Again, if you are considering going into ultrasound school, you have been warned by a registered ultrasound professional with 26 years experience. Don't do it, you will regret it!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ray in Northridge, California

2 months ago

James Eroche RDMS, RVT in Houma, Louisiana said: Please, if you are a male and are considering going into diagnostic medical sonography, the only thing I can tell you is do not even think of it. The days when a person could make a decent living at this are gone, believe me. I am 56 years old with 26 years experience in medical sonography and I can not buy a job in the field right now. The last full time job I had I was mentally abused by the physician I worked with, and to tell you the truth, I am totally done with the hospital environment, totally. I would rather pick up shopping carts in a Wal-Mart parking lot before ever considering working in a hospital ever again. The last good days of ultrasound were in the 1990's, it's gone and will never come back. I have tried to even get minimum wage jobs, just to do something, and when the employers look at my resume they say I am over qualified for the position. I have purchased a G.E. Voluson laptop ultrasound machine and I am now in business for myself performing in home 3/4D fetal keepsake ultrasound imaging. If you would have told me 15 years ago I would be doing this now at the end of my career I would have told you, you were crazy. I am not getting rich by any measure, in fact, I am making less than I would if I were working an abusive, no life hospital job, but I would rather have a life and not have to put up with condescending, rude physicians than to make that dirty money again. I actually like what I do now and I am the boss and I don't take abuse from anyone anymore. Again, if you are considering going into ultrasound school, you have been warned by a registered ultrasound professional with 26 years experience. Don't do it, you will regret it!!!!!!!

That's the truth right there! Hopefully people will listen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

rdhlady14 in Hope Mills, North Carolina

2 months ago

lll in Genoa City, Wisconsin said: Hello!

I am a Dental Hygienist . I have been a hygienist for 3 years now. The pay is good. but is very very difficult to find a full time job. I work only 16 hours a week havent being able to find a full time job or another part time. Only one of the girls that graduated with me has a full time job. If you want benefits , forget it!!! Hygienists most of the time dont get benefits. The ones tha do get it is because they work full time and have been a hygienist for ten years. Im very disappoited with this carreer. I was thinking in going back to school ato become a vascular sonographer..
Hygienist usually work the most 30 hours. Should I switch to V. sonography? or should I go for healthcare management

Hi,
I see it's been quite some time since you posted this. I am a dental hygienist in NC and I am in a similar situation as you were. I just wanted to know if you ever switched to sonography or stuck with hygiene.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.