Looking for Feedback on Foothill College DMS Program

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 174)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

NorCalMom in California

72 months ago

I just want to bump this up. Does anyone here have info on this school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa S. in Concord, California

72 months ago

It's supposed to be fabulous. I started my search by calling a local hospital to see where they hire from. In the SF Bay Area, you have a choice of either Kaiser's School in Richmond or Foothill. THey said those are the only schools they hire from. Anything else is not CAAHEP accredited for ultrasound, unless you want to be an echo tech (heart ultrasound), then City College of SF has a good program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

NorCalMom in California

72 months ago

Lisa-Are you going to either of these schools? I just spoke with someone yesterday who graduated from Kaiser 3 years ago and has been working ever since. She highly recommended Kaiser, although she didn't get in the first time she applied.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa S. in Concord, California

72 months ago

I'm planning to go to Kaiser unless I decide I can't deal with the commute and then I might go into radiography instead (because there's a school in Concord, where I live, or I can go to Merritt in Oakland). Or I might go to nursing school. Foothill is way too far from me. I'm just being very indecisive at this point. Where do you live?

NorCalMom in California

72 months ago

Lisa S. in Concord, California said: I'm planning to go to Kaiser unless I decide I can't deal with the commute and then I might go into radiography instead (because there's a school in Concord, where I live, or I can go to Merritt in Oakland). Or I might go to nursing school. Foothill is way too far from me. I'm just being very indecisive at this point. Where do you live?

I am in Petaluma, so Foothill is too far for me, too. Although I hear they have a satellite program in Santa Rosa. I may apply to both Kaiser and Foothill. I still need to finish prerequisites, so I have plenty of time!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

foothill ultrasound in San Jose, California

66 months ago

These comments/questions are 6 months old, so hopefully you will receive this.

I am a graduate of the Foothill Ultrasound Program. You will find no better program. Richmond Kaiser and Foothill are the only accredited programs in Northern Cal. Don't be misled by any unaccredited programs. If you have any questions please let me know.

Foothill is nationally recognized as one of the top schools in the nation for ultrasound education. When it comes to this complicated field and the level of responsibility on the part of the sonographer, you cannot afford to cut corners. The patients deserve the best!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Genine in Pinole, California

65 months ago

foothill ultrasound in San Jose, California said: These comments/questions are 6 months old, so hopefully you will receive this.

I am a graduate of the Foothill Ultrasound Program. You will find no better program. Richmond Kaiser and Foothill are the only accredited programs in Northern Cal. Don't be misled by any unaccredited programs. If you have any questions please let me know.

Foothill is nationally recognized as one of the top schools in the nation for ultrasound education. When it comes to this complicated field and the level of responsibility on the part of the sonographer, you cannot afford to cut corners. The patients deserve the best!

Hi, Thanks for your comments. I am excited about entering the field of sonography. I applied to the Foothill College DMS program and I am scheduled for a counseling and assessment session. Not sure if you went through the same process but, any insight is helpful. I am curious as to what I can expect during that session?

Thank you kindly!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

foothill ultrasound in Newark, California

65 months ago

Genine in Pinole, California said: Hi, Thanks for your comments. I am excited about entering the field of sonography. I applied to the Foothill College DMS program and I am scheduled for a counseling and assessment session. Not sure if you went through the same process but, any insight is helpful. I am curious as to what I can expect during that session?

Thank you kindly!

That is a good question. It's been a while since I went through that. I would suggest you approach it like an interview. Dress nice, be prepared, think of typical questions that may be asked. Be confidnet, sincere, concise . Ultimately be yourself. If you get nervous in these settings remember to take a breath and try to settle down. You will do fine, try not to over think it. If I remember correctly the meeting is rather brief. Make a good impression. I wish you the best!

Genine in Pinole, California

65 months ago

Great feedback! I have been preparing mentally as if it were an interview. I have also set up a couple of mock interviews with some friends and collegues. I appreciate and will take your advice! Thanks again!

ultranewbie in Half Moon Bay, California

64 months ago

any other grads from foothill? i'd like to see some of their feedback. I've met a few, and have graduated from there myself. Is Newark very far from Los Altos?

Genine in San Francisco, California

64 months ago

Hi, Newark is about 45 minutes from Los Altos. I'm not a graduate of Foothill but hope to be soon enough!

NorCalMom in Northern, California

64 months ago

Genine, how did your interview go?

For those of you who have gone through Foothill, did you get into the program right away? Was there a lot of people that applied? How many students do they take?

Genine in San Francisco, California

64 months ago

My interview/informational session went well! I got alot of good information in the group setting then met one on one....I was really nervous but I'm feeling positive. I will know the outcome near the end of the month.

They accept 25 students each year for the program out of the 45 best applicants.

Thanks for asking!

64 months ago

Genine, since most of us are not your competition (I have years to go) would you mind posting what types of specific questions they asked you?

Genine in Oakland, California

64 months ago

Hi,

Between the application and the actual information session I attended, the questions were: What makes you a more qualified candidate than the other applicants? How does your clinical, academic and life experiences contribute to your decision to pursue the sonography field? Why are you interested in the profession of Sonography? They also asked you to described a sonographers daily work routine and what attributes should you have to be successful.

I suggest going to the school's website and reviewing/completing the application as a practice. It is also a good way to get current information on the program itself. Best wishes to you in your career goal! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Kindly, Genine

latoure in Sunnyvale, California

63 months ago

foothill ultrasound in San Jose, California said: These comments/questions are 6 months old, so hopefully you will receive this.

THERE IS CURRENTLY A 4-5 YEAR WAIT-LIST TO GET IN. FYI. GOOD LUCK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ultranewbie in sunnyvale, California

63 months ago

just stay out of the politics. that's in any school you enroll in.

63 months ago

latoure in Sunnyvale, California said: THERE IS CURRENTLY A 4-5 YEAR WAIT-LIST TO GET IN. FYI. GOOD LUCK!

How do you know the waiting list is that long? If so, why were they posting applications all year for the 2009 application? I'm sure the next one going up is for 2010. If they have a waiting list that is 4-5 years long wouldn't the application be for 2015?

deltacaligirl in Rio Vista, California

61 months ago

i just came across this forum and planned to apply to kaiser in richmond for the 2011 radiography class (in order to proceed to sonography)...can someone here give me feedback please? anyone apply, attend, graduate? norcal mom you said you talked to someone who went there but didnt get in the first time....did they know why? im trying to increase my chances and i want to know what would make me a good candidate to get in...i called and asked and she told me its mainly grades in prereqs and score on the assessment test....

NorCalMom in Santa Rosa, California

61 months ago

She didn't get in the first time because she had a BA degree, but had never worked in heathcare. They had her work in healthcare for a year, then she got in the 2nd time around.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NJ in San Jose, California

61 months ago

latoure in Sunnyvale, California said: THERE IS CURRENTLY A 4-5 YEAR WAIT-LIST TO GET IN. FYI. GOOD LUCK!

Hello,

you response is really helpful. do you happen to know what are they prerequisites for getting admitted to Richmond Kaiser?

Thanks

61 months ago

NorCalMom in Santa Rosa, California said: She didn't get in the first time because she had a BA degree, but had never worked in heathcare. They had her work in healthcare for a year, then she got in the 2nd time around.

what kind of job she had to do in healhcare? I have a BA degree as well, with no experience in healthcare. your response is appreciated Norcal.

61 months ago

is this really true? why is the wait this long?

61 months ago

I'm so glad...i bumped into this forum today...i thought the process would be easy, but it does not look like :(

I will have to work really hard.

61 months ago

NJ in San Jose, California said: what kind of job she had to do in healhcare? I have a BA degree as well, with no experience in healthcare. your response is appreciated Norcal.

I *think* she went into LVN.

61 months ago

NJ in San Jose, California said: is this really true? why is the wait this long?

I don't see this as being true, since they post the application for the next year each year. Why would they have applications for the next year if there is a waiting list for 4-5 years?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

NJ in San Jose, California said: Hello,

you response is really helpful. do you happen to know what are they prerequisites for getting admitted to Richmond Kaiser?

Thanks

kpsahs.kp.org/applications/sonography_application.pdf
The pre-req's are on the application.

foothill ultrasound

61 months ago

There is no 4-5 yr waiting listing. That is totally untrue. It's a matter of meeting the prerequisite requirements and applying.

The program director is also very helpful to gauge where you may be in process. I would recommend that you set up an appointment with a Foothill counselor and review your previous education and background and see where you stand. If there is any further question the program director Kathleen can be consult.

Preserve, don't be discouraged. Even if you need to wait a little it is worth it. It is the best school around!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

foothill ultrasound said: There is no 4-5 yr waiting listing. That is totally untrue. It's a matter of meeting the prerequisite requirements and applying.

The program director is also very helpful to gauge where you may be in process. I would recommend that you set up an appointment with a Foothill counselor and review your previous education and background and see where you stand. If there is any further question the program director Kathleen can be consult.

Preserve, don't be discouraged. Even if you need to wait a little it is worth it. It is the best school around!

Hello Norcal,

Thanks a ton for your response, it is very encouraging. I plan to go their this week, and see how it happens.

61 months ago

Norcal,

One more question, pls advise if Foothill RT program is meant for the MRIs technicians?

thanks,
neena

61 months ago

foothill ultrasound said: There is no 4-5 yr waiting listing. That is totally untrue. It's a matter of meeting the prerequisite requirements and applying.

Your response is really helpful.

61 months ago

NJ in San Jose, California said: Hello Norcal,

Thanks a ton for your response, it is very encouraging. I plan to go their this week, and see how it happens.

I think Kathleen is on vacation. She will be back near the end of the month.

61 months ago

NJ in San Jose, California said: Norcal,

One more question, pls advise if Foothill RT program is meant for the MRIs technicians?

thanks,
neena

Those who are RT become cross trained into MRI. In the past, there was a fellowship at Stanford Univ MRI for Foothill grads. I would recommend confirming this with someone on campus.

saif in Lafayette, California

60 months ago

Hi NJ,

I have applied to Richmond Kaiser and i also have BS degree with no health care exp..Still waiitng to hear back from them...Did u apply for 2010?

NJ in Cupertino, California

60 months ago

Hello Saif,

No...I haven't applied anywhere as yet. I am way behind...I need to complete my prereqs. and then follow the process. I will be able to attend the 2011 program at this speed. :(

Good Luck! :)

MICHELLE in Oakland, California

59 months ago

saif in Lafayette, California said: Hi NJ,

I have applied to Richmond Kaiser and i also have BS degree with no health care exp..Still waiitng to hear back from them...Did u apply for 2010?

Hi Saif!

I just applied to KPSAHS in Richmond last month and am also waiting to hear back from them. Let us know when they call you! =)

Saif in Pleasant Hill, California

59 months ago

Sure I will let you know...Anybody Heard back from KAiser on Sonography Admission??

59 months ago

Hi All,

Anybody heard from KAISER for KPSAHS Program??? Did anyone got call from them..Please let me know..Thanks

MICHELLE in Oakland, California

59 months ago

Hi Saif!

I got a call back from KPSAHS on Friday and am going in for an interview on Tuesday. I hope you get your call soon!

59 months ago

Hi Michelle,

Congrats you got call and hope your interview goes well...Since Kaiser said they will conduct Interviews till 30th Nov...I dont think i will get call..Will try next year and see if i get into it.

I am thinking since i dont have Health Care Experience and have only BS Degree, probably they have not selected me.

Can u please let me know if you had a Health Care Experience or some details about u while applying..if you dont want to write here you can send me email at akhter.saira@yahoo.com ...the reason i am asking is...I can get prepared for next year...I hope you will help me out..Thanks for your time in Advance.

59 months ago

Saif and Michelle-

How was the entrance test for Kaiser? Do they tell you your results?

59 months ago

Yes they tell result..I got 26. I advice practice sample problems which you can find by googling online before going for test.

59 months ago

26 out of...?

59 months ago

26 out of 50. 50 Questions need to be be solved in 12 minutes. 17 is passing marks.

Michelle in Sanger, California

59 months ago

Hi NorCal Mom,

The entrance text for Kaiser was a breeze. Like Saif, I just googled the name of the test, and the examples given were very similar to what I saw on the test. They tell you your scores right away, and I got 28. Try to turn in your applications early b/c if you fail the test, they will not let you take it again for one week.

Saif, I had no health care experience when I applied. I'll let you know when I get word about my acceptance status. *crosses fingers*!!!

59 months ago

Michelle in Sanger, California said: Hi NorCal Mom,

The entrance text for Kaiser was a breeze. Like Saif, I just googled the name of the test, and the examples given were very similar to what I saw on the test. They tell you your scores right away, and I got 28. Try to turn in your applications early b/c if you fail the test, they will not let you take it again for one week.

Saif, I had no health care experience when I applied. I'll let you know when I get word about my acceptance status. *crosses fingers*!!!

Michelle-

How was your interview? What kinds of questions do they ask?

Good luck to you!

Saif in Concord, California

57 months ago

Michelle in Sanger, California said: Hi NorCal Mom,

Hi Michelle,

Hope you are doing well. I just wanted to check if you have some time to let me know some tips which can get me in Ultrasound in Kaiser since i have similar profile like you did my BS in Biology with no health care experience..So i want to know if there is anything extra i need to do to get in next year..Waiting to hear back from you...Thanks Again for your time

Michelle in San Francisco, California

57 months ago

Saif in Concord, California said: Hi Michelle,

Hope you are doing well. I just wanted to check if you have some time to let me know some tips which can get me in Ultrasound in Kaiser since i have similar profile like you did my BS in Biology with no health care experience..So i want to know if there is anything extra i need to do to get in next year..Waiting to hear back from you...Thanks Again for your time

Hi Saif,

Unfortunately, I wasn't accepted into the program =( I called the admissions office to ask a few questions about what I can do to make my application stronger for next year. She told me that our chances of getting into the program this year (as first time applicants) were slim to none. They elected not to have a program last year, so all the people that would have applied last year applied this year. They received over 3x the number of applicants they usually do! Wish someone would have told me this BEFORE I applied...

She said that to make my application stronger, I should volunteer at a hospital and take all of the recommended extra classes. The extra classes are pretty important when it comes to calculating your GPA because it adds one extra point for each class. The interview wasn't as scary as I thought it was going to be. They asked me the standard questions that you would expect at any interview.

I plan to apply again next year...good luck to everyone!

Saif in Concord, California

57 months ago

Hi Michelle

Sorry to hear that you didnot get into program. I am planning to take extra classes this spring..Hopefully that should help and also i am trying in Chicago schools if i can get in there i will move to chicago...Lets see...Good Luck and keep in touch..

jimmyjimer in San Jose, California

57 months ago

I am a Special Education teacher and needless to say work for peanuts. Hate to say this, but need to get an additional job.
I am interested in echo tech (heart ultrasound) and wanted to ask for info on an AMA approved course.
My second question is can you do this part time? Like most teachers in education, I am forced to seek an additional job. Sorry if to much info. I would appreciate any and all help.

Thank You For Your Time.

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.