Mainly a female field?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (31)

Joe in Canton, Connecticut

73 months ago

I am sure this has been covered before but as I am in the job market (new) my travels have led me to believe the majority of techs are female. I've talked to a bunch of different techs and all are female. I asked them well what about a male patient that needs a scrotal ultrasound done? I would assume a male tech would be a must or at least be wanted over a female. I guess not. Does this field have more females than males? I always feel a little odd about it at times but its no big deal. I'm just surprised that the majority of "practices" are female dominated techs vs a hospital which has a more wide variety of the two... is this true all over?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mr Alman in Plainville, Connecticut

73 months ago

Joe in Canton, Connecticut said: I am sure this has been covered before but as I am in the job market (new) my travels have led me to believe the majority of techs are female. I've talked to a bunch of different techs and all are female. I asked them well what about a male patient that needs a scrotal ultrasound done? I would assume a male tech would be a must or at least be wanted over a female. I guess not. Does this field have more females than males? I always feel a little odd about it at times but its no big deal. I'm just surprised that the majority of "practices" are female dominated techs vs a hospital which has a more wide variety of the two... is this true all over?

hey joe i'm in the same boat you are, a male looking for a dms school and worried about a job later. someone told me why not go for vascular tech or cardiac tech. don't have to go abdominal or ob/gyn.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ano in New York, New York

73 months ago

Mr Alman in Plainville, Connecticut said: hey joe i'm in the same boat you are, a male looking for a dms school and worried about a job later. someone told me why not go for vascular tech or cardiac tech. don't have to go abdominal or ob/gyn.

remember that echo techs have to scan females chest without a bra on. Many females ask for a female tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in Canton, Connecticut

73 months ago

it just seems as if the employers are looking for "females" vs males... this is what I have come to find out. In a way I wonder how fair the hiring process really is. I talked to one female tech that told me she does scrotal ultrasounds on males all the time and its no big deal. Yet if its the other way around with a male doing an ultrasound on a female patient its a whole new game... frustrating.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Oakland, California

72 months ago

Joe, there are many guys out there who would
prefer a male tech for all forms of pelvic
ultrasound. But not all men want them.
The unscientific polling indicates that
about a third of men are homophoebic in
this regard. There is some justification
for this beyond their own fears as it is
generally accepted that the percentage of
homosexuals in medical support fields is
twice the national average. Regardless
of this possible factor, another third
of men feel very uncomfortable with females
performing these pelvic procedures and tests
and would much prefer having a male tech
option. Since there are so few males
available as ultrasound techs you would
think getting a job would be easy for
you if a third of the male population
would prefer your involvement. So what's
up? Well, if they hire a male then that
male needs to be chaperoned with female
patients. This is a drain on staff. It's
easier for facilities to go "all-female' staff
and force this on men. They've learned
that if they do the same to female patients
they'll soon be hearing crys of"sexual abuse"
or even "rape". Now, regardless of this,
male patients have as much right to modesty
as females and BFOQ anti-discrimination
law that extends from 1964 allows facilities
to staff according to modesty requests.
Unfortunately, right now, across this land,
these requests are being, ignored, suppressed,
undocumented, and male patients mocked for their modesty concerns. In your search for employment remember that when you hear female staff supervisors tell you they have no requests for male techs for intimate pelvic
care it's a BIG LIE designed to protect
their gender-status jobs and all-female
working environment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

jerolson08 in San Bernardino, California

72 months ago

I am approaching my last six months in school at Loma Linda University. I've had a pretty positive response from the different hospitals I've rotated through. They seem excited for males not only in scrotal exams...but prostate too. It seems prostate US is growing and few people know how to do them. I have recieved the same encouragement to pursue vascular US especially with emphasis for intracranial experience/knowledge. I don't want to say that many hospitals seem excited to see more male techs, but at least a higher number than I would have expected. I just came from Pomona Valley Hospital and they have 3-4 male techs, and it isn't all that big of a hospital.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Chet in San Francisco, California

72 months ago

jerolson08 in San Bernardino, California said: I am approaching my last six months in school at Loma Linda University. I've had a pretty positive response from the different hospitals I've rotated through. They seem excited for males not only in scrotal exams...but prostate too. It seems prostate US is growing and few people know how to do them. I have recieved the same encouragement to pursue vascular US especially with emphasis for intracranial experience/knowledge. I don't want to say that many hospitals seem excited to see more male techs, but at least a higher number than I would have expected. I just came from Pomona Valley Hospital and they have 3-4 male techs, and it isn't all that big of a hospital.

There is a huge gender discrimination problem now, esp. in the last two years as fewer openings are out there and more applicants. This makes it easier for them to wait for a female tech. I am a contract traveler and get turned down for gender about 3 out of 4 positions I apply for. I used to get the answer that I wasn't the "type of tech" they are looking for, but now more and more they just say they want a female tech from the start. It seems most places have learned that it is not illegal to gender discriminate even though they state on their web site that they do not. Equal opportunity employer, Blah, Blah. I am going to train as a cardiac sonographer because it seems a little more open and would suggest this to all male students. Roughly 85% of sonographers are female and so most managers are female and there is a intimidation factor there esp. when looking at a male tech with 25 years experience. As a traveler, we are just there to fill a need and not tell them how to do their job or reinvent their wheel.
There is just that dual standard in society where men have to let females do their scrotal or transrectal exams and not complain or else they're a whiner.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Paul in Austin, Texas

72 months ago

Bill, I would like to know the source of your contention that "the percentage of homosexuals in medical support fields is twice the national average." Is that based on hard data that has been published or merely your own personal experience?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

alan in Warsaw, Indiana

72 months ago

Actually you probably have a good case to sue for discrimination. The BFOQ requirements are pretty limited, in medical cases where the patient base is mixed they hardly ever hold for discriminating. The cases where it has held has been in L&D where the patients are all female. I really doubt they could make the case for discriminating when there is a near even mix of patients. I really hope someday one of you files a suit and forces the issue, its the only way it will change.

I had to have a scrotal ultrasound and specifically requested a male, the facility I went to had 2 males, 2 females. Our local hospital does not, when one of the providers found I went to a facility outside our community for it they asked why I didn't support the local. I told them I asked, they didn't have a male, so I went where they did. They told me they had tried to hire a male but could not find one....I really hope you will challenge the facilities, the only way any discrimination is changed whether that be racial, gender, or religious is by someone having the guts to challenge the status quo...if you want to see how many men are looking for options google patient modesty a more significant issue, a thread by Dr. Maurice Bernstien, or Medical Modesty by Dr. Joel Sherman...it should be interesting reading for you all and may be encouraging...don't give up guys, there are a lot of men who feel more comfortable with a male tech for these and are looking for facilities that have them....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chet in Berkeley, California

72 months ago

Sorry, YOU KNEW IT isn't the issue.
There are male patients out there
asking where we are(male techs) for
their scrotal/pelvic ultrasounds.
THEY deserve the choice.

When female patients accept
unchaperoned male techs for their
intimate ultrasound testing, then
male patients can be told to
forget about it. Ain't gonna
happen.

What's good for the goose is
good for the gander.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jon in West Linn, Oregon

69 months ago

As a male with approximately 17 years in the medical field, I can tell you that the discrimination based on gender is heavily at work. I am currently considering exiting the medical field all together because of this issue. I have traveled for several years and the recruiters will tell me that jobs are requesting females. How can they get away with this. Its an unfair practice and it is discrimination. The whole theory of the best quailified person gets the job is bull....I have to laugh when a male patient having a scrotal ultrasound asks for a male tech. Im not gender biased BTW...just want equality...as Im sure women do in aviation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

alan in Kentland, Indiana

68 months ago

Chet you are on the money. It is about patient comfort, and patient comfort should not be specific for women and not men. If women should be accomodated then men have that same right to accomodation. Justifying discrimination against one group by citing discrimination against another is moronic. Two wrongs do not make a right. Guys, I hope and pray you do not just go away into the night. Women got rights by challenging the system. I know the easier way would be to accept it or go away, but you challenging them even if it goes to court is the only way it will change, if not for yourself...for you sons. I had to have a scrotal ultra sound, they assigned a female, it was embaressing but I got through it...however, when that same tech told the woman in the waiting room that she was going on break and the only tech on duty was male, so if she wanted to wait she would be back in 20 minutes it changed my whole approach to this. When I had a follow up I requested and got a male tech. I also addressed it with the patient advocate who promised to address it to make sure males had a choice as well.......don't know if they did...but please do not let them get away with it......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Lys in Albany, New York

68 months ago

It IS about patient comfort. I worked in a place where there were two male techs and only one was working that day. I picked up a req and explained to the patient who was here for a scrotal exam that if he does not want to wait I can do his exam right now. If he prefers to wait for a male tech, he would have to wait and I didnt how long he would take. He said thank you for explaining and that he would wait. I explained to the tech that he is waiting for a male tech and off he went. I have had others who didn't care that I was a female that would be doing their exam. Its what the patient wants.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

joe in West Linn, Oregon

68 months ago

The medical field is mostly a female field. It is very gender biased and is driving me out of it completely.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

JVC in Merced, California

68 months ago

joe in West Linn, Oregon said: The medical field is mostly a female field. It is very gender biased and is driving me out of it completely.

Hi Joe, so you feel sonography is not a good career choice for a male? What about cardio? Would that be better?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

joe in West Linn, Oregon

68 months ago

Cardio and vascular are the only two ways to go...im my opinion. Males tend to migrate to those areas. However, ultrasound is getting flooded due to the colleges spitting out techs every two years for the last 10 years. Its not a great time to get in...Ive been unemployed since March of this year, but I wish you the best of luck in what ever decision you make.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Danny in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

67 months ago

ano in New York, New York said: remember that echo techs have to scan females chest without a bra on. Many females ask for a female tech.

Why do females have a choice of what gender their professional is? In most cases there are no choices for a male's scroral exam by a female professional. Male discrimination in healthcare has been increasing through the years. Each professional deserves equal respect. Yet, hospitals continuously deny employment to males based on gender.
Someone needs to do something about this soon or this will elevate.

Equal rights for ALL.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jon in West Linn, Oregon

67 months ago

I agree. I am a male in the medical field and I have seen things change over the last few years. The field is swinging heavily in favour of women. What ever happened to equality?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

inspectorgonzo in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

62 months ago

wingnut in Chicago, Illinois said: get over it guys. you knew this when you entered the field. A female in aviation 20 years ago and even now, depending on the job, has the same stereotype.
Its not about YOU, its about the patient and their comfort level.
YOU KNEW THIS. You knew this. repeat after me: I KNEW THIS.
Stop being a darn victim, its unmanly and lethargic.
If I had a dreadful disease, I wouldnt care what gender the Dr was, so the point is, be the best you can be, and the medical staff will notice.
or recareer :)

I have been in aviation for 30 years and an employeer will hire a female faster than any male. A jet engine nor an aircraft has a gender. Why are male gynocoligists so accepted yet male ultrasound techs are not? I would prefer NOT to see most woman naked, so people should respect technicians for their skills and be thankful someone is trying to help give a professional medical exam.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DJ in Salt Lake City in West Jordan, Utah

40 months ago

The entries were most interesting to read. As a non professional, I am scheduled for a scrotal ultra sound and am appaled that imaging clinics have only female techs. In our culture men are to "man up" and tolerate being nude or semi- clothed to any medical staff. Does anyone realize that many males are by their nature modest just as the women in their lives. Granted many times in life I've been nude in a male setting but when all the boys and their boys are the same there is a certain comfortableness. However being in some state of nudity in front of a strange woman for me is not confortable. This is part of my marital priveledge and I take my obligation for my modesty as a matter of respect to my wife just as I encourage and support her choice for female medical staff. We wonder why men have such calous regard to women without thinking how we instill into men insensitivity to themselves and making them out to be sissies if they stand up for their own sence of modesty and self worth and to feel that we must put ourselves on display any time a medical professional requests. This duality in medical treatment of men and women has to be addressed and the right to modesty by both genders must be demanded in medical situations.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

luvsus in Big Rapids, Michigan

40 months ago

You can request a male, there may or may not be one. And just a note, you dont have to be comfortable during your exam. It is a professional environment and isn't any different to the sonographer if they are imaging your abdomen or your scrotum. They are their to see whats wrong, you are their to find out. Period.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

kiko1024 in West Jordan, Utah

40 months ago

Unfortunately your attitude needs to be re-evaluated. In credible medical studies the patient is looked at as the primary member of a health team; the comfortability emotionally,and psychologiucally are of primary importance. If your had any knowledge of law, you would realize that courts have relued that is illegal to put a patient in a situation of having to expose their genitles to a person of the oppisite sex if unwilling. Also, legally a patient can ask for a same gender medical staff and must be accomodated. Primarially, who cares what the tech feels or thinks!! The procedure is about the patient and their comfort not yours!!Lastly, your are only a machine tech, you are not a MD ,so you are not in any position to make an evaluation. That is in the field of the radiologist. Your lack of empathy and caring is most unprofessional; you seem to be all about yourself ( the ME generation). Needless to say from your comment you have no background in psychology or you wouldn't make such a fool of yourself with such cold comments!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

roochaser in Hallam, Australia

39 months ago

Thought folks might be interested in an Australian perspective on this issue. Ever since I had a vasectomy over 15 years ago I've had scrotal pain which has resulted in five or six ultrasound exams over that time.I get the impression that there are roughly equal numbers of male and female sonographers doing this work in the clinics I have attended. My feeling is that the patient's experience of the exam is formed as much by the affability/demeanor of the sonographer as by the gender. My personal experience has actually been better with the female sonographers who seemed more relaxed during proccedure which in turn made me more relaxed.The two males I had seemed a little uptight but I conceed that this may have been my problem in that I may have some underlying homophobia which made the whole thing a bit more tense. I'm coming up for another exam next year - I guess it would seem a bit weird if I actually asked for a female operator, does this ever happen?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Medical Patient Modesty in Waynesville, North Carolina

38 months ago

Joe in Canton, Connecticut said: I am sure this has been covered before but as I am in the job market (new) my travels have led me to believe the majority of techs are female. I've talked to a bunch of different techs and all are female. I asked them well what about a male patient that needs a scrotal ultrasound done? I would assume a male tech would be a must or at least be wanted over a female. I guess not. Does this field have more females than males? I always feel a little odd about it at times but its no big deal. I'm just surprised that the majority of "practices" are female dominated techs vs a hospital which has a more wide variety of the two... is this true all over?

Male technicians are absolutely necessary. A lot of men don't want female techs to do scrotal ultrasounds on them under any circumstances. A number of men feel that their wife should be the only woman in the world to see certain parts of their bodies. See an article about male patient modesty at patientmodesty.org/malemodesty.aspx.

I am not sure if you've found a job yet. But you should definitely let hospitals know that a lot of men are uncomfortable with female techs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

donaldduck in Colton, California

38 months ago

there's always a place for males. maybe not as much but its still there. I see a lot of males working

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

SecondRateHuman in Medford, Oregon

36 months ago

Here's some interesting stats, not made up, but FACTS from professional studies, national medical boards, etc. Go to a college library and look it up. MD's are presently 47% female, but over 60% of medical school students are female and by 2016 women are expected to pass up men as MD's. It's the "last area" of medicine where men hold higher numbers. Physician Assistants: 64% female. Imaging Techs: over 80% female. Nurse Practitioners: 91% female. Nurses: 93% female. And yet this supposed persecuted minority gets preferential hiring and schooling due to Affirmative Action and Minority status?! I am a male who applied twice to Ultrasound programs and got rejected twice, even with a 4.00 GPA. I later found out that 84% of their acceptees are female, some with a GPA as low as 3.62. So I applied at nursing school, checking Caucasian in the mandatory first box (I am part white & part Indian). Rejected. I re-applied, checking Native American in the demographics. Accepted. (Why does this crap even show up on applications??) Now I work as a nurse who gets removed by female coworkers from female-patient rooms, while they can "see" everyone. I ask most female patients if they are OK with me (show me one woman who shows males the same respect...) and they almost always say yes because I show such respect to them, and then a female nurse will come in and kick me out anyway. I would be fired for acting like the women I work with. Even now, I don't want them fired, I don't want to cry victim. But I DO want equality and to receive the same level of respect that I give. Sad part is, only a few fanatical females participate is this misandry, but it ruins it for all, and let's call it what it is: sexual harassment. Let the PATIENT (and NOT the staff) choose who they want working on them. Lots of women prefer males. Lots of men prefer females. Let the patient choose! I do NOT need the nurse-nazis policing me. I'm not a lower life form just because I'm male... Equality please!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa

29 months ago

Really? Shouldnt a candidate be chosen or promoted based on merit alone? Women have had to fight for equal rights, and now you are bitching because you are having difficulty entering a female-dominated field. I have been ib ultrasound for three years now, and not once has a male asked for a female tech to do their ultrasound. I habe, however, been told many times by a female pt that she refuses a male for pelvic exam, or heard them express relief upon realizing I would be doing their exam. The male tech at my facility got promoted over a female tech, not because he abuses call or has broken code of conduct several times, but because he threatened to scream sexual discrimination if not hired. She was tje more awarded tech with physician respect, but polotics and legality won out. Get the job based on your skill, and if u dont get it, dont be one of the losers who cries sex discrimination to force hr's hand. If you are truly a professional and comport yourself as such, then your demeanor will exude your medical prrofessionalism to the pt and this will not be an issue.

alan in Warsaw, Indiana said: Actually you probably have a good case to sue for discrimination. The BFOQ requirements are pretty limited, in medical cases where the patient base is mixed they hardly ever hold for discriminating. The cases where it has held has been in L&D where the patients are all female. I really doubt they could make the case for discriminating when there is a near even mix of patients. I really hope someday one of you files a suit and forces the issue, its the only way it will change.

I had to have a scrotal ultrasound and specifically requested a male, the facility I went to had 2 males, 2 females. Our local hospital does not, when one of the providers found I went to a facility outside our community for it they asked why I didn't support the local. I told them I asked, they didn't have a male, so I went where they did

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Melissa

29 months ago

Really? Shouldnt a candidate be chosen or promoted based on merit alone? Women have had to fight for equal rights, and now you are bitching because you are having difficulty entering a female-dominated field. I have been ib ultrasound for three years now, and not once has a male asked for a female tech to do their ultrasound. I habe, however, been told many times by a female pt that she refuses a male for pelvic exam, or heard them express relief upon realizing I would be doing their exam. The male tech at my facility got promoted over a female tech, not because he abuses call or has broken code of conduct several times, but because he threatened to scream sexual discrimination if not hired. She was tje more awarded tech with physician respect, but polotics and legality won out. Get the job based on your skill, and if u dont get it, dont be one of the losers who cries sex discrimination to force hr's hand. If you are truly a professional and comport yourself as such, then your demeanor will exude your medical prrofessionalism to the pt and this will not be an issue.

alan in Warsaw, Indiana said: Actually you probably have a good case to sue for discrimination. The BFOQ requirements are pretty limited, in medical cases where the patient base is mixed they hardly ever hold for discriminating. The cases where it has held has been in L&D where the patients are all female. I really doubt they could make the case for discriminating when there is a near even mix of patients. I really hope someday one of you files a suit and forces the issue, its the only way it will change.

I had to have a scrotal ultrasound and specifically requested a male, the facility I went to had 2 males, 2 females. Our local hospital does not, when one of the providers found I went to a facility outside our community for it they asked why I didn't support the local. I told them I asked, they didn't have a male, so I went where they did

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

equality in Bowling Green, Kentucky

19 months ago

Patients male or female want to be treated with respect and receive the greatest health care possible. I have been very well receive by both male and female patients because I am excellent I what I do, and great with interacting with my patients. All of these qualities have nothing to do with gender. Yes, there will always be closed minded people trying to live in the Jim Crow era, but most patients want the most qualified tech; be it male or female. It is a disservice to the profession when female tech forces males out just on the the fact of their gender. Should there be chaperoning yes of course in fact it should be across the board. I can not think of one thing that could happen with an unchaperoned male tech that could not happen with an unchaperoned female tech. The reality is these female exams are very quick and easy to preform compared to most other exam, and that is the real reason for women techs trying keep male techs out of this area. I can not tell you how many times a female tech has taken a exam that was order by a male ob/gyn and stated I should not be preforming the exam on the grounds gender alone. When obviously the patient does not care about gender or prefers a male by the fact that she has chosen a male ob/gyn. At the end of the day the patient does have the right to choose, but the techs behind the scenes should not be choosing for them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Roger in Oakland, California

19 months ago

I would say, from my observation, it is a female dominant field. There are a few places I've seen a equal or close to equal amount of techs. I have found that some of the places I've worked at or intern at, that a few of the echo labs were male dominant.

As for preference when it comes from the patient, sometimes you let it go. I've had a couple female patients not want a male tech, but if no one is available, they have no choice.

With that said, and I work in pediatric, I dont scan anyone under 18 unless a parent is available. Its better to be safe than sorry. The other thing is practicing modesty. I always explain to them I will cover them up and I always do. I always tell them if they have anatomy questions, I can answer that, and I just try to make small talk, but nothing personal. The main thing is that you make them feel comfortable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

male tech in Shreveport, Louisiana

11 months ago

True story ...years ago i did a traveling assignment with a large well known and advertised compAny. first day...0700

Walked into department and within 5 minutes the supervisor of this kansas city hospital came up to me and proceeded to "sniff" me....she then told me I was NOT to wear any cologne! I explained to her I wasnt ,so,she proceeded to "sniff "me again....0800...the female supervisor called me back ino the break room and demanded I strip out of my clothes,,,,her explanation was I was too attractive for the other female techs and they would not be able to concentrate on their jobs,,as well as arousing any female patients,so, at this point she brought out some female flowery scrubs and demanded i put them on.I refused to follow her orders and she immediately fired me on the spot...I left this facility and immediatelt called the company I was working with and explained the situation...hey called me back later that day and said I was fired from them as well....no explanation given,and,they refused to pay my contract...THIS REALLY HAPPENED !

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.