You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (30)

collegegal3 in Watertown, Massachusetts

85 months ago

?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

d nice in Sacramento, California

85 months ago

yup, great school, only 20 dollars a credit so you won't be in debt after graduating. it is also accredited, BUT.........you'll be waiting for at least 2-3 years to get in. if your fresh outta highschool, take allied health 100 IMMEDIATELY!!!!! because that determines your number on the waitlist. if you live far away take that class online and while you are waiting just knock off pre-reqs that are needed to get into the program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

Thanks! Do they offer allied health 100 online through their school so that it is guaranteed to be accepted?
Thanks!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

85 months ago

ok so i saw that you can take it online in the fall.. however im a little concerned about transferring credits because it says in the associates of sciences syllabus thing that you can only transfer up to 15 credits? I find that odd. I could easily knock most of them out before I can actually get out there, I emailed the school and am waiting to hear back that that is in fact true, do you know anyone who has transferred more than 15 credits there?
Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

d nice in Sacramento, California

85 months ago

they accepted all of my credits, what your talking about is "the school" accepting max 15 credits toward your associate degree in cvt (A&P, human diseases, etc....)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jim in North Hollywood, California

77 months ago

dnice, did you complete the program at OCC? I hope i'll be accepted this year.

How do you like the career? Is it stressful? demanding? rewarding?

delia in Perris, California

67 months ago

hi,
i was wondering if you attend orange coast for sonography program.
please let me know. I have only high school diploma and no college
thank you

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Angel in San Bernardino, California

64 months ago

I am attending OCC to become a Cardiac Sonographer. I am in my 2nd semester of the Cardiovascular Technology program. I love OCC and am so glad I made the decision to go here. Its a long drive from San Bernardino but I feel like it is worth it to go to a CAAHEP accredited school plus it is much more affordable than the private schools. It felt like a long wait to get into the program (took Allied Health 010 in Spring of 2008 and got into the program Fall 2010), but it was worth it and allowed me time to get my general ed done. I have heard that the wait is a bit longer now though. The wait list is 100% first come first serve and doesn't look at grades at all. Believe me I wish they did because I have a 4.0. I love my program because the heart is fascinating. The material is challenging, but very interesting. The instructor, Darryl, is great and really knows the field. We also have a really good group of classmates. I am about to start clinicals for the first time which is also exciting. I will be working 2 8 hour shifts in the hospital per week and will have class 2 days per week. The number of clinical hours goes up from there with each semester. It has been a great choice for me so far and well worth the wait! :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No Reply - Report abuse

barnesbunchx7 in Lenoir, North Carolina

64 months ago

What was the allied health class? When I did research I pulled up all the CAAHEP schools in the US ( cal first cause I lived there) but not sure why I didnt attempt that school. That wasnt a very long wait at all. I got on my waitlist here in NC in 3/08 and am still waiting.

Tara

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

64 months ago

barnesbunchx7 in Lenoir, North Carolina said: What was the allied health class? When I did research I pulled up all the CAAHEP schools in the US ( cal first cause I lived there) but not sure why I didnt attempt that school. That wasnt a very long wait at all. I got on my waitlist here in NC in 3/08 and am still waiting.

Tara

Hello! The allied health class is the required class to get on any of the allied health programs waiting lists. You do your application for your program while you are in the class and then just wait and complete your prereqs and general ed while waiting. They waiting list for the CVT/ cardiac sonography/ echo program (depending on what people call it) didn't use to be long at all. When I applied in Spring of 2008 I was supposed to get in one year but it ended up being 2 years. They said the delay is that people weren't falling off the list as they did in the past because of the economy. Now the waiting list is 3+ years. The general sonography program is about a 5 year wait now. Its crazy! I'm sorry to hear that you are still waiting for your program. It sounds like you and I got on our waiting lists at about the same time. When are you supposed to get into your program? What program are you on the waiting list for?

Alex

63 months ago

I currently have a bachelors degree but it is not in the healthcare field, I was recently laid off and I'm looking for a career change. The medical field is definately interesting for me because I love working with people. I understand the whole process of the accredidation and stuff and I've been reading these posts and I've gotta day some of the waitlists for the programs suck but there well worth the wait in the end.
I am only interested in the accredited Sonography programs because they seem more realistic with regards to the tution. I have looked at at the all the schools from the ARDMS website that are accredited and location wise I am interested in the program through Kaiser in Richmond. Does anybody know what the waitlist is currently to get accepted in 2012 and how the school handles there list? I'm currently taking the prerequisites which aren't much since I already have a a 4 year degree. Can anybody tell me how the program is?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ann in Huntington Beach, California

62 months ago

Angel in San Bernardino, California said: I am attending OCC to become a Cardiac Sonographer. I am in my 2nd semester of the Cardiovascular Technology program. I love OCC and am so glad I made the decision to go here. Its a long drive from San Bernardino but I feel like it is worth it to go to a CAAHEP accredited school plus it is much more affordable than the private schools. It felt like a long wait to get into the program (took Allied Health 010 in Spring of 2008 and got into the program Fall 2010), but it was worth it and allowed me time to get my general ed done. I have heard that the wait is a bit longer now though. The wait list is 100% first come first serve and doesn't look at grades at all. Believe me I wish they did because I have a 4.0. I love my program because the heart is fascinating. The material is challenging, but very interesting. The instructor, Darryl, is great and really knows the field. We also have a really good group of classmates. I am about to start clinicals for the first time which is also exciting. I will be working 2 8 hour shifts in the hospital per week and will have class 2 days per week. The number of clinical hours goes up from there with each semester. It has been a great choice for me so far and well worth the wait! :)

Hi Angel,

I am currently in the Allied Health Professions Class at OCC. I am having a really difficult time trying to decide between the Cardiovascular Tech/Sonography Program and the Diagnostic Sonography Program. I started the class thinking that I was definitely going to put my name on the waitlist for the Diagnostic Sonography Program, but then after hearing Darryl speak about the Cardiovascular Tech/Sonography program, am I seriously considering that program as well. Since we are only allowed to choose one program wait list to put our names on, I have a dilemma. So I was wondering what factors you considered that made you choose to go with the Cardiovascular Tech/Sonography Program?

Barnesbunchx7 in Nashville, Tennessee

62 months ago

My school offers both. I'm doing regular ultrasound and after that they offer the cardiac classes at night and it's like 2 classes over 2 semesters. I don't think you can do cardiac then regular u/s a's easy! Could be wrong though. You can only get into the cardiac a's a registered sonographer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda in Long Beach, California

62 months ago

I am in the health class right now. I am decidng between this and Platt college but I don't really want to spend 35k and not end up with a job. The wait list for sonography is AT LEAST 5 years now. 500 people on the list already and they only take 25 a year..providing AT LEAST half drop that is still 8-10 years. Lets hope a lot of people drop?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Barnesbunchx7 in Nashville, Tennessee

62 months ago

Can you afford to move? My CC in NC just added new prereqs and anyone on the waitlist who doesn't have them by sept loses their waitlist spot. This March marks 3 years for me and I'm still #17. They only take 7-9 a year so I'm hoping I pass up a few to make it in 2012. If you make the requirements you can be in quickly since so many don't have the new stuff.

62 months ago

Ann in Huntington Beach, California said: Hi Angel,

I am currently in the Allied Health Professions Class at OCC. I am having a really difficult time trying to decide between the Cardiovascular Tech/Sonography Program and the Diagnostic Sonography Program. I started the class thinking that I was definitely going to put my name on the waitlist for the Diagnostic Sonography Program, but then after hearing Darryl speak about the Cardiovascular Tech/Sonography program, am I seriously considering that program as well. Since we are only allowed to choose one program wait list to put our names on, I have a dilemma. So I was wondering what factors you considered that made you choose to go with the Cardiovascular Tech/Sonography Program?

Hi Ann,

I know many people that have had trouble making that same decision. I have spoken to a lot of people in my CVT program that were planning on another program until they heard Darryl speak (he is definitely an excellent speaker ), and they changed thier minds and got on the CVT list. I knew when I went into the ALH 010 class that I wanted to do echo, but that is because I had done a lot of research on both fields general/cardiac and found echos to be very interesting to me. I also had a brother that had open heart surgery to fix a defect when he was 13, so that kind of gave me a personal affection for it as well. I also looked at the kind of person I am and I really liked the idea of focusing on one area rather than many. That was just my personal reasons for choosing CVT. I wish you luck in your decision making process and if you have any more questions please ask anytime. :)

Ann in Irvine, California

62 months ago

Hi Angel,

Thank you for response to my question. Your personal insight has been very helpful and given me some more things to consider while making my decision. I was also wondering if you considered: (1) the financial benefits when choosing the Cardiovascular Tech Program vs. diagnostic sonographer, and (2) the job prospects upon graduating from the Cardiovascular Tech Program. I need to do some more in depth research, but it would appear at first glance that there would be a higher demand for a general diagnostic sonographer vs. a Cardiac Tech who focuses on taking images of just the heart... although I could be very wrong. I know that since you already knew you for sure wanted to do the Cardiovascular Tech Program you probably didn't do a comparative study of the two professions. But maybe if you could give me the insight that you have about those two areas (1) financial benefits and (2) job prospects. How likely will it be that you end up getting a job at one of the sights where you will be doing your clinical rotation? How much do you expect to make upon graduating from the program? Also, how well do you feel the program prepares you to take the exams?

I fully understand if you don't feel able to answer any of my questions. I truly appreciate your time and insight.

Thank you,
Ann

62 months ago

Angel in San Bernardino, California said: Hi Ann,

I know many people that have had trouble making that same decision. I have spoken to a lot of people in my CVT program that were planning on another program until they heard Darryl speak (he is definitely an excellent speaker ), and they changed thier minds and got on the CVT list. I knew when I went into the ALH 010 class that I wanted to do echo, but that is because I had done a lot of research on both fields general/cardiac and found echos to be very interesting to me. I also had a brother that had open heart surgery to fix a defect when he was 13, so that kind of gave me a personal affection for it as well. I also looked at the kind of person I am and I really liked the idea of focusing on one area rather than many. That was just my personal reasons for choosing CVT. I wish you luck in your decision making process and if you have any more questions please ask anytime. :)

*their not thier...sorry that typo was bothering me

62 months ago

Ann in Irvine, California said: Hi Angel,

Thank you for response to my question. Your personal insight has been very helpful and given me some more things to consider while making my decision.

Ann

While I did not do very much research when it came to general vs cardiac, my thinking regarding job demand between the two was that there are fewer schools that teach cardiac sonography so that would make me more valuable but that was just MY thinking. It seems like anywhere you look now there is a school that teaches DMS so that may saturate the market more (I don't know). But then again it may be easier to get you RDCS registry after you RDMS than vice versa. These are all just considerations.
As far as the financial side of things when I graduate, the CVT graduates I have spoken with starting between $28 and $35 an hour which will hopefully continue to go up based on experience and loyalty with a hospital etc... One of our teachers is the director at hospital and hires the best and brightest. He said his CVTs make close to $80 per hour!
I start my clinical next week (YAY!) and I would LOVE to be hired at my clinical sight!! I don't know how likely it is but I plan to do my very best to be the best EKG tech I can so that maybe that will be a possiblity. Then I would be able to gain more knowledge as an EKG tech during the summer break before we start echo. I think in most careers you are vulnerable when you graduate and don't have a year or 2 of experience yet so I would definitely love to be extended a job opportunity from my clinical site.
And as far as you last question about the exams, I do not know yet because I am only in my 2nd semester of EKG we don't start echo until next year. I hope this helps some! Please let me know what you end up deciding to do or if you have and more questions!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

us in Whittier, California

60 months ago

Purrkitten in los angeles,

i wonder what the clinical sites think of those students that took Anatomoy & Physiology who got a C at orange coast college?

60 months ago

I meant to write sooner... but life got it the way... ;-) I just wanted to let you know that I saw you on the Allied Health Building Ribbon Cutting Day at OCC. The CVT program director allowed me to sit in one of the classes and observe. I was sitting in the back of the room, and a few of the students who I was talking to before class about the program, pointed you out to me. I wanted to personally say thank you, but didn't want to disturb you or the class. Thanks again for all your insight. I've decided to put my name on the list for the general diagnostic sonography program, with the possibility of cross training in the Cardiac program once I start the general diagnostic sonography program.

60 months ago

This comment was meant to be directed to Angel in San Bernadino:

Ann in Irvine, California said: I meant to write sooner... but life got it the way... ;-) I just wanted to let you know that I saw you on the Allied Health Building Ribbon Cutting Day at OCC. The CVT program director allowed me to sit in one of the classes and observe. I was sitting in the back of the room, and a few of the students who I was talking to before class about the program, pointed you out to me. I wanted to personally say thank you, but didn't want to disturb you or the class. Thanks again for all your insight. I've decided to put my name on the list for the general diagnostic sonography program, with the possibility of cross training in the Cardiac program once I start the general diagnostic sonography program.

Debbie in Anaheim, California

34 months ago

Hey just wanted to know if you took all the ALH classes at occ??

Suzel Velasquez in Irvine, California

31 months ago

Ugh, I cannot afford to wait 2 to 3 years for a college diploma!! Yeah? Hmm, with me being 29 though so hmmm... maybe I'm not that old after all...

Suzel Velasquez in Irvine, California

31 months ago

I actually DID try to sign up for the DMS program last year, but I got side tracked. Maybe, I will pick up where I left off so to speak.

jennifer in San Jose, California

31 months ago

the current waiting list is 5 years.

cejaney

31 months ago

jennifer in San Jose, California said: the current waiting list is 5 years.

As of Sept. 23, 2013, the estimated wait time is 6 1/2 years, per my O.C.C Allied Heslth Advisor, but the waiting times flucuate every year depending on who drops off, who accepts, etc.

cejaney

31 months ago

As of Sept 23rd, 2013, the waiting list is running 6 1/2 years, per my O.C.C Allied Health Advisor, but the wait time changes each year depending on how many drop off, who accepts, etc.

Celeste in Huntington Beach, California

26 months ago

Ann in Huntington Beach, California said: Hi Angel,

Hi Ann, I am in my second semester of the CVT program at OCC and was wondering what you decided to do and where you're at now? I know it's a tough job market in OCC I'm curious to know how recent and past grads are doing. thank you in advance for responding :)

erin.leighh in Westminster, California

12 months ago

Hi, all! I'm currently on the waitlist for the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program at O.C.C. and I'm incredibly frustrated! I completed the Health Occupations course that puts you on the waitlist back in 2011 and I'm still waiting to get into the program. I originally was told that waitlist position goes by when you finished that class, but now I'm hearing that it goes by when you finished that class and when you finished your prerequisites. I just finished my prerequisites 2 semesters ago, so I'm wondering if my waitlist position is as of 2011 (when i finished that class) or 2014 (when I finished my prerequisites). If anyone is in that program currently, or is on the waitlist and can tell me anything, that would be wonderful! I've spoken to the program director and the allied health counselor and they both have told me the same thing. That we don't have "numbers" on the waitlist, and it is an "internal list" so they "don't know our positions". but someone must know, how else would they inform us if we've been accepted or not?!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.