SONOGRAPHY

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 62 of 62)
Page:  « Previous   1  2   

mary in Anaheim, California

22 months ago

JGriffin in Twentynine Palms, California said: Well I'm not really sure what the standard is but I get about $18 for on-call hours and then about $56 for time actually called in. Keep in mind it's not full time so there's no benefits and no paid time off. I do get to work out for free in a gym full of Marines though. I would consider that a benefit. ;)

Hi, can you please email me rgiang113@gmail.com
I have questions about the ultrasound jobs.
Thank you so much!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Roger in San Francisco, California

22 months ago

Anything in the medical field is competitive... doesnt matter what you choose.. nursing, ultrasound, xray....

The key after getting out of a program is standing out. Doing what you need to get registry and building a network for possible leads. Of course presentation of yourself and skill set.

If you are willing to make sacrifices like moving, that might help...

After that, it is about getting 1yrs experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tasha in Gary, Indiana

22 months ago

Hi, I'm doing a school project where I need to interview an ultrasound technician. I'd appreciate it if I could possibly get answers to the following questions. Thank you.

Interview Questions

1. What drew you to your profession?

2. How much education was required and where did you obtain your education?

3. What is a typical work day?

4. What do and don’t you like about your work?

5. What frustrates you about your work?

6. How many hours do you work per week? Do you have control over your schedule?

7. Is there career advancement with your job?

8. Do you worry about losing your job?

9. How much stress do you experience from your work?

10. What advice do you have for me in considering this as my profession?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Roger in Oakland, California

21 months ago

I'll give it a go. I work full time as a pediatric echo tech, registered in both adult, peds and vascular.

1. I worked as a telemetry tech and enjoyed cardiac stuff.. eventually I started to know diseases by asking cardiologists and EP MDs. Echo was the next step in diagnostic cardiology, but it was also easy for me to correlate EKGs and Echos (coronary artery distribution).

2. Ultrasound programs are usually about 2yrs. Of course prereqs are needed to be considered for these programs. Advance modalities such pediatric and fetal echo are usually on the job training as there is (maybe that has changed)no pediatric echo program.

3. Our clinics are primarily outpatient, depending which day, we could have 30-40 patients, some need echo, some dont.. depending if a doctor wants to follow up. Pediatric is different because you have to keep track after the heart is repaired for any issues. Inpatients are usually new babies, emergent kids obviously, post surgery kids, nephrology, hematology, and oncology when ordered, and research pts.

4. I totally enjoy my job. The mds and my co workers are awesome. In peds, you have to have a different mindset as you are dealing with kids. Love doing echo.

5. Again I dont have any complaints.

6. Fulltime 8-5. if I need time off, my manager doesnt have a problem.

7. In my situation, yes. I am being cross trained in the cath lab. So being a cath lab tech is kinda more lateral.

8. Just my mentality, always. I dont see any that threatens my job, but I came from factories and manual labor jobs... so I never feel 100% comfortable. But once you have a skill such as ultrasound and experience, it shouldnt be hard to find something.

9. I used to at first when I had to do a full study on screaming babies, but relatively very little stress.. I'm super happy because I have a job and I just look at it like that.

10. Do your research, volunteer to see if you like it.

Hobo2012 in California

21 months ago

1. Being able to have a skill involving people and non people
2. 2 years community college, 2 years ultrasound program
3. Scan outpatients and inpatients, talk to doctors
4. Like working with people, interesting work, operating machinery. Dislike overwork get tired and injuried
5. Crowded elevators, patients not ready to be scanned, delays with transports, stuck with bad machines, portable exams, heavy night duties sometimes
6. 20-40 hours per week depend on business needs. II get a schedule that varies each week. I can request days off or schedule changes in advance.
7. Possible advancement include teaching, seniority, administration
8. No, you just get your hours cut. You can always stay on the payroll and look good in your résumé
9. Stress is from calls / overnight work and strain on shoulders and legs from pushing machines. Or just overworked.
10. Go to an accredited program. Take all your boards after you graduate. Keep in touch with clinical sites. Make sure this is your dream job because it is very competitive due to low job openings

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana

21 months ago

Hustler in Roswell, New Mexico said: What kind of site is this? Who is this sh that unless you take whatever comes available at whatever pay they offer, in this environment, you will probably be without work for many weeks or possibly months without pay in between jobs. Paid sick time and vacation? Forget about it, many places will fine you for being sick and not going into work.

Excellent post. I am tired of the naivete of the posts on here that sound like the schools are writing them. These people have no idea...

21 months ago

Tasha in Gary, Indiana said: Hi, I'm doing a school project where I need to interview an ultrasound technician. I'd appreciate it if I could possibly get answers to the following questions. Thank you.

Interview Questions

1. What drew you to your profession? Unrealistic expectations. Need to work in science.

2. How much education was required and where did you obtain your education? I have 7 years of higher education. I have 3 degrees.

3. What is a typical work day? I work long days, sometimes, 12 hours or more. Really long week...

4. What do and don’t you like about your work? I like doing a good exam, I have been told I am a great tech by docs, but it seems employers care more about speed than quality. Perception of making the patient happy is based on how quickly you get them done and out.

5. What frustrates you about your work? Business major mentality...the bean counter thing. They can't judge if you are a quality tech, so they look at how fast you work and how many patients you do.

6. How many hours do you work per week? Do you have control over your schedule? No control over the schedule, and if I want that, I can pack my bags. I sometimes work 60 hours a week.

7. Is there career advancement with your job? Heck no. There is no place to move to. One boss who isn't going anywhere.

8. Do you worry about losing your job? Of course, in this economy, you can be gone. If you work for techs, they know what you are doing, but many times, you are not working for techs.

9. How much stress do you experience from your work? Extreme. I'd say it's right up there with nursing. Along with the physical problems in my back and arms and legs. You can like what you do, but when they think you can do a half hour exam quicker, say in 15 minutes, it is sheer stress.

10. What advice do you have for me in considering this as my profession?[/QUOT

21 months ago

10. What advice do you have for me in considering this as my profession?

Is this your life's calling? Really? I think a lot on here are out of touch.
You need to really do the work and see how it is. You can like what you do, but you cannot control how the market treats you.

JSulser in Tyler, Texas

21 months ago

BeccaB in Austin, Texas said: Hello out there,

I am very interested in the Sonography program in Austin but am a bit frightened by this post. Does anyone have any input on the job market in Austin Tx? Also, when starting out in this field [anywhere] is it inevitable that you will have to get a night job?

I am a recent graduate of an ARDMS program in Tyler, TX. I am RDMS in ABD and OB/GYN. I am also sitting for my RVT in a few weeks. My husband and I have wanted to move to Austin for years now. However being that there is an accredited school there, it has proven to be very difficult to find a full time job. There are several "PRN" or part time job openings and trust me I have applied to all of them! I think the fact that I am not a local is hurting me a little. I am now looking pretty much everywhere and anywhere in Texas that is hiring. When I first started being interested in ultrasound about 5 years ago there was a need pretty much everywhere you look. However being a "brand new graduate" despite the fact that I am competent in ABD, OB/GYN, Small parts and vascular for the last two years, because I was still a student, companies are not considering this as experience which is very frustrating. I am very proud of what I accomplished and I am trying to not get too discouraged right now but things are definitely going a little slower than I had imagined.

Hobo2012 in California

21 months ago

JSulser in Tyler, Texas said: I am a recent graduate of an ARDMS program in Tyler, TX. I am RDMS to not get too discouraged right now but things are definitely going a little slower than I had imagined.

You can't pick where you want to live. You have to move to wherever you can find work. Such is the life.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Jessturner in Eau Claire, Wisconsin

21 months ago

Melissa in Modesto, California said: I would highly recommend sonography! I have been in the field 7 years and have NEVER had a problem getting a job. I was a traveler for 4 years and the money was great and I got to see so many great places and every place I worked for was fantastic. I even took a perm job in hawaii that began as a travel job. It all has to do with your attitude. If you have a bad attitude, then you will have negative experiences. I never had any breaks inbetween my assignments unless I asked for them. Every travel job I had, I was treated wonderful by the other techs because I am a hard worker and have a pleasant attitude. I was able to pay off my student loans and travel on many awesome vacations:)

Just my 2 cents!

Just curious on what the sonography outlook is in Hawaii. Are there jobs there in the field? My wife and I are thinking about moving there after she completes school. Really anywhere on the west coast.

Alex in Orlando in Apopka, Florida

7 months ago

I have been looking for an ultrasound job for the past eight months and I tell you, its really tough getting a job nowadays. I would recommend doing your research well before choosing a career. In my humble opinion, nursing may have better job prospects at this time. Before investing the money, time and effort do your research.

Page:  « Previous   1  2   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.