Sanford Brown College in Cleveland, OH

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 263)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

charlotte in Orange, California

66 months ago

Tami in Cleveland, Ohio said: I was accepted into the SBC Cleveland's DMS program but opted out for a few reasons: I want to pursue a degree, the cost of the program was unnecessarily high, and there are no ARDMS prerequisites that allow me to sit for the exam immediately upon graduation (not enough clinical experience at graduation time) even though SBC told me otherwise. I did not trust their integrity.

I know nothing about the Radiography program, so I'm of little use there. Just check them out thoroughly. I've heard a few good things about them, so do your homework and don't get blindsighted. Just make sure you'd really be able to sit for a licensing exam upon graduation. That's where they lost me.

I am now getting ready to begin a four-year program for DMS. I am blessed to have a scool nearby that offers it.

I sat for my exams immediatley after school! I had more than enough clinical experience!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

charlotte in Orange, California

66 months ago

M in Akron, Ohio said: Hi Tami. Thanks for the input. I opted for a two year degree at a reputable community college that is accredited in all of their ultrasound specialties and I am finishing my pre-req's now. I am hoping to start the formal program next Fall. Good luck with your program!

BTW...you mentioned you were attending a 4 year program. Where is that? The only one I could find was Kent State Salem, and that was just way too far for me to drive.

If you are talking of Tri-C, they do not spend enough time on the vascular part of ultrasound. I went to Sanford Brown and then Florida College Online after getting my registry.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mel in Akron, Ohio

66 months ago

I don't see how anyone can say that Tri-C does not spend enough time on Vascular Ultrasound, when Tri-C has a WHOLE SPECIALTY that is accredited and dedicated to the art of Vascular Ultrasound. Tri-C is accredited in the areas of Vascular, Cardio, General and Ob/Gyn. Students have their pick of those 4 specialties and can even do more than one. I know what I am talking about, as I have been attending Tri-C for a while now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Laura M in Cleveland in Cleveland, Ohio

66 months ago

I really need some help trying to figure out if I should enroll at Sanford Brown vs. returning to Tri-c. The waiting list for tri-c is something that is making me hesitate but the high cost and mixed reviews are the cons for SB. I need to know what happens after graduating SB, if SB is worth the time and effort. Please help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mel in Akron, Ohio

66 months ago

Laura M in Cleveland in Cleveland, Ohio said: I really need some help trying to figure out if I should enroll at Sanford Brown vs. returning to Tri-c. The waiting list for tri-c is something that is making me hesitate but the high cost and mixed reviews are the cons for SB. I need to know what happens after graduating SB, if SB is worth the time and effort. Please help!

I would really encourage you to stick with Tri-C. I am currently going there and I am finishing my pre-req's this semester. As with any wait list, you could be bumped up as people drop off or don't finish. Tri-C is a lot more respectable and a heck of a lot cheaper than SB, and you will be glad to have stuck with them. I don't care if I have to wait 3 years, I am not moving from Tri-C.

Mz CoCo in Cleveland, Ohio

66 months ago

Laura in cleveland, PLEASE!!! Do yourself a favor and stick with tri-c. Though Sanford Brown may seem like the quicker option, it's not worth the debt. I was going to go there but I opted out after reading the comments in this forum. You can get the same job at the end and with tri-c you will be able to further your education with no problem if you choose to do so in the future. Sanford Brown isn't regionally accredited so, it willbe harder to transfer your credits later.

collant in Cherry Hill, New Jersey

63 months ago

CUTIE in Cleveland, Ohio said: HELLO,
Yes, you can sit for your boards immediately after graduating. SBI is an accredited CAHAPP(sp) college. This means you can sit for boards after graduating. You can also go to the ARDMS website to see all the different criteria to sit for boards. We started with 30 and about 12 of us made it but we all got jobs after graduating. it's a tough program though...Let me know if you need anything else:))

just curious, how come less than 1/2 the class made it through???

me cleveland oh in Raleigh, North Carolina

63 months ago

waiting three years to get into a two year program at tri-c is nuts. the dms at tri-c isn't cheap either however is cheaper than sanford brown. if you don't have any medical experience its almost impossible to get in the program

Mel in Akron, Ohio

63 months ago

me cleveland oh in Raleigh, North Carolina said: waiting three years to get into a two year program at tri-c is nuts. the dms at tri-c isn't cheap either however is cheaper than sanford brown. if you don't have any medical experience its almost impossible to get in the program

If you are committed to completing an ultrasound program, then 3 years is not a lot of time. You have to want it bad enough and besides, a lot of times, people drop off the waiting list, and you can get into the DMS program sooner. Tri-C is one of the cheapest programs around and has an impeccable reputation. You don't need a medical background to get in..you just have to be willing to work hard and study a lot. Nothing in life worth having comes easy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

WVultrasond in Charleston, West Virginia

63 months ago

For anyone interested...Mountain State University in Beckley, WV has a great sonography program!! Great instructors and accredited as well.

cutie in Cleveland, Ohio

63 months ago

collant in Cherry Hill, New Jersey said: just curious, how come less than 1/2 the class made it through???

not dedicated!!!!you have to be dedicated--it's a tough program!!!

Dboyz in Youngstown, Ohio

63 months ago

Mel in Akron, Ohio said: I would really encourage you to stick with Tri-C. I am currently going there and I am finishing my pre-req's this semester. As with any wait list, you could be bumped up as people drop off or don't finish. Tri-C is a lot more respectable and a heck of a lot cheaper than SB, and you will be glad to have stuck with them. I don't care if I have to wait 3 years, I am not moving from Tri-C.

Hey, does tri-c offer anything online and what are the pre-reqs? I am currently a sophmore-turning junior at Kent( but it takes me 50 minutes to get there...ugh)..lol. I took the semester off to see what I really want to do. What are the pre-reqs for the tri-c program for sonography? I myself wanted to get into polysomnography, but sonography looks good as well. I dont have a polysomn thats around me, unless you want to be a resp therapist and then do it as an add on.I looked into EKG tech with Holter and stress testing, and thats how I started looking into a carreer in sonography. It pays more, plus its not traumatic, like nursing would be.
I guess I am just looking around at options. I dont know if I would already have the pre-reqs, or some knocked out already. The only reason why I ask, is that kent is a Bachelors, while I see other programs are A.S.S degrees. Far as brown, I would not reccomend ppl to go there, it seems kinda border line to me after reading up on the place.

Mel in Akron, Ohio

63 months ago

Dboyz in Youngstown, Ohio said: Hey, does tri-c offer anything online and what are the pre-reqs? I am currently a sophmore-turning junior at Kent( but it takes me 50 minutes to get there...ugh)..lol. I took the semester off to see what I really want to do. What are the pre-reqs for the tri-c program for sonography? I myself wanted to get into polysomnography, but sonography looks good as well. I dont have a polysomn thats around me, unless you want to be a resp therapist and then do it as an add on.I looked into EKG tech with Holter and stress testing, and thats how I started looking into a carreer in sonography. It pays more, plus its not traumatic, like nursing would be.
I guess I am just looking around at options. I dont know if I would already have the pre-reqs, or some knocked out already. The only reason why I ask, is that kent is a Bachelors, while I see other programs are A.S.S degrees. Far as brown, I would not reccomend ppl to go there, it seems kinda border line to me after reading up on the place.

Yes, Tri-C does offer a lot of their classes online. Not all of them are, but enough to make it a little easier. I have to drive 45 minutes to get to Tri-C, but it will be worth it in the end. If you go online and look at the program requirements, it lists the pre-req's and also the other courses you have to take. Some of the pre-req's are medical terminology, patient care, english composition, things like that. Just curious...what are you majoring in at Kent? Are you doing the bachelor's sonography program at Kent State Salem? If so, I would just stick with that one, since you invested so much time, but if you aren't taking the sonography major at Kent, and you decide it is what you want to switch to, Tri-C is far cheaper than Kent and still has the great reputation.

Tri-C also has a polysomnography program. There aren't as many pre-req's and the program for poly is only a year program, which is good.

63 months ago

I was in occupational therapy assisting, but now just a general degree. Actually I am just 5 classes away from an A.S( general ) if I wanted to go for it, I would be closer if they let stats Math transfer in from another college...lol.You cant do nothing with the general A.S anyway. I basically have a bunch of LERs with some occupational therapy and math. I did look at the sonography, briefly at Kent, cause I have been to their champion campus, salem, and east campus...Alot of driving! I do have most of their pre-reqs and LERS outta the way. However, they want you to have 30 hours of just some electives in their program. See, like theres alot of waist of time in their program. I think they just do that to extend it to a Bachelors.

The only thing is tri-c is like a good hour and a half from where I live. If it wasnt I would go there. I did take two classes as I was taking class at kent. I took ethics and something else. I did it online thats why. If you need a quick elecive or LER, take their ethics or their philosophy online, its easy. You just have 3 tests. Theres certain professors that teach them that are easy, and their grade scale was nice. Kent runs on a + - system. You can get a b-, and thats a 2.7 G.P.A, not a 3.0. Far as the professors, I forget their names, I think one had the last name of james. Look them up if you need a class like that, just a filler class, and see what proffessors are the easy ones. I mean why make an elective hard. Leave all that to your tech classes, where you really want to learn it.

Ohio Student in Ohio

63 months ago

Hey Mel (it's Tami, from several months ago)! How's it going? How are the kids? I just thought I'd pop in to say hello. Things are still going well on this end... I am still working my way into that sonography program with KSU. Got a 3.6 GPA last semester over 14 credit hours.....I was so close to a 4.0 but I got one B. DOH!
But, this semester is hopefully a 4.0. I've got tremendously fun classes this time (Biology with Lab, Geography, plus two other not AS fun (but still fun) ones.....) so I am enjoying school. Glad to see you're still on here!
One year from now I'll be applying to the program. I am excited that time is flying yet I am successfully accomplishing goals one by one. So, how about all this snow! Around Christmas I was thinking that we had hardly no snow this season, but January changed that.

Mel in Akron, Ohio

63 months ago

Ohio Student in Ohio said: Hey Mel (it's Tami, from several months ago)! How's it going? How are the kids? I just thought I'd pop in to say hello. Things are still going well on this end... I am still working my way into that sonography program with KSU. Got a 3.6 GPA last semester over 14 credit hours.....I was so close to a 4.0 but I got one B. DOH!
But, this semester is hopefully a 4.0. I've got tremendously fun classes this time (Biology with Lab, Geography, plus two other not AS fun (but still fun) ones.....) so I am enjoying school. Glad to see you're still on here!
One year from now I'll be applying to the program. I am excited that time is flying yet I am successfully accomplishing goals one by one. So, how about all this snow! Around Christmas I was thinking that we had hardly no snow this season, but January changed that.

Tami! So good to hear from you! A 3.6! You go girl! That's awesome!
I have applied to my DMS program, so hopefully, I will get in this Fall or next. I did manage to get through my incredibly tough Physics class with an A! I still can't believe it! I am done with all of my pre-req's and general classes, so now I just sit and wait to see when I get into my program. I am just taking it easy and working.
All this snow sucks! LOL. When I graduate, I am seriously thinking about moving closer to my brother in Georgia. We have definately gotten a lot of snow over a short period of time.
We will both be in our programs one day. And you are right...time is just flying by!

Mel in Akron, Ohio

63 months ago

Wow...an hour and a half would be a long way to drive. I thought my 45 minute drive was bad! If you want to go into Sonography, I would look into the KSU Salem program. It would be closer for you. I know that it sucks to take all those general elective classes, but you have come this far and you may as well get into a good program like the one Kent offers. You can make extremely good money in Ultrasound, so it would be a good investment, if that is what you decide to do. I am finished with all of my pre-req's and general classes, so I am just waiting to see when I get into the DMS program. I am hoping it will be this Fall, but they do tend to have a waiting list, so I may not get in until Fall 2010 or Fall 2011. Oh well...there is nothing I can do about that. I have come this far...lol. Keep me posted on what you decide to do!

Ohio Student in Ohio

63 months ago

Mel, way to go with the Physics class! I'm excited for ya! I'll bet it feels great to have all the prereqs met. I'll send a prayer up about your admission to the Sonography program. When do you find out if you've been accepted, June-ish?
Yeah, forget this snow. I like the snow- I always get excited about it when it's early winter - but when it sticks around this long it gets old. Mainly because of driving. Georgia sounds great! My husband and I will probably leave this area a few years down the road. Good luck, Mel, and keep me posted!

Mel in Akron, Ohio

63 months ago

Ohio Student in Ohio said: Mel, way to go with the Physics class! I'm excited for ya! I'll bet it feels great to have all the prereqs met. I'll send a prayer up about your admission to the Sonography program. When do you find out if you've been accepted, June-ish?
Yeah, forget this snow. I like the snow- I always get excited about it when it's early winter - but when it sticks around this long it gets old. Mainly because of driving. Georgia sounds great! My husband and I will probably leave this area a few years down the road. Good luck, Mel, and keep me posted!

Hey Tami....thanks! I am so thankful to have that Physics class out of the way. It was tough! I will hopefully hear in the next month or so, which year I will start the program. I am hoping it will be this Fall, but if not, I will be happy with whatever year I am on.

You keep me posted too. I'll pray good thoughts your way....you will be done before you know it! All we can do is take one semester at a time. Our programs are tough, but it will be worth it in the end!

Take care and try to stay warm!

Ohio Student in Ohio

63 months ago

Mel in Akron, Ohio said: Hey Tami....thanks! I am so thankful to have that Physics class out of the way. It was tough! I will hopefully hear in the next month or so, which year I will start the program. I am hoping it will be this Fall, but if not, I will be happy with whatever year I am on.

You keep me posted too. I'll pray good thoughts your way....you will be done before you know it! All we can do is take one semester at a time. Our programs are tough, but it will be worth it in the end!

Take care and try to stay warm!

Wouldn't it be cool if we worked together down the road? You've got an upbeat attitude and I can tell you really want to do this for a living. You'd make an awesome coworker. Hey- a girl can dream!

Until later, Mel! Wishing you the very very best! Tami

63 months ago

Mel in Akron, Ohio said: Wow...an hour and a half would be a long way to drive. I thought my 45 minute drive was bad! If you want to go into Sonography, I would look into the KSU Salem program. It would be closer for you. I know that it sucks to take all those general elective classes, but you have come this far and you may as well get into a good program like the one Kent offers. You can make extremely good money in Ultrasound, so it would be a good investment, if that is what you decide to do. I am finished with all of my pre-req's and general classes, so I am just waiting to see when I get into the DMS program. I am hoping it will be this Fall, but they do tend to have a waiting list, so I may not get in until Fall 2010 or Fall 2011. Oh well...there is nothing I can do about that. I have come this far...lol. Keep me posted on what you decide to do!

Well, thnks mel for reply. I think I might go into sleep tech. I can do it faster. Yeah tri-c is great. Its cheap, less classes,ect,ect. I see alot of ultrasound for just A.S.S. However, YSU and Kent, you have to do bachleors. Actually most of kent's program is electives, LErs and some social and physical sciences. Then I think maybe 35 percent of the dergee..lol..okay maybe 40 is for ultrasound. Man, ohio is not the easiest state, but cant argue with the summers!
I will be helping coordinate a health fair in may, weather pending. You know there is so much in the field if your decinding to become a tech, weither sleep, ultra, cardiovascular,ect,ect. Just like the commercials, I want it all, I want it all, and I wnt in now..lol.

Mel in Akron, Ohio

63 months ago

Ohio Student in Ohio said: Wouldn't it be cool if we worked together down the road? You've got an upbeat attitude and I can tell you really want to do this for a living. You'd make an awesome coworker. Hey- a girl can dream!

Until later, Mel! Wishing you the very very best! Tami

Hey Tami...it would be WAY cool if we ended up working together. It seems like you and I have the same determination to get through this very tough program. We can do this! We should exchange emails. Are you on Facebook? We could keep in touch that way and keep tabs on how we are doing.

Mel in Akron, Ohio

63 months ago

Dboyz in Youngstown, Ohio said: Well, thnks mel for reply. I think I might go into sleep tech. I can do it faster. Yeah tri-c is great. Its cheap, less classes,ect,ect. I see alot of ultrasound for just A.S.S. However, YSU and Kent, you have to do bachleors. Actually most of kent's program is electives, LErs and some social and physical sciences. Then I think maybe 35 percent of the dergee..lol..okay maybe 40 is for ultrasound. Man, ohio is not the easiest state, but cant argue with the summers!
I will be helping coordinate a health fair in may, weather pending. You know there is so much in the field if your decinding to become a tech, weither sleep, ultra, cardiovascular,ect,ect. Just like the commercials, I want it all, I want it all, and I wnt in now..lol.

I think doing the sleep tech program is a smart move too. I had a sleep study done last year, and I was asking the tech how the job market was. She said she was working overtime like crazy, because there aren't enough techs out there. So, I think you would be making a good decision. They make pretty decent money too. Where are you going to school for the sleep program?

KSU has a good ultrasound program, but you are right about the amount of electives/general classes. It's crazy! Plus, KSU is very, very expensive.

Keep me posted on what you decide to do. No matter which program you choose, being in the healthcare field is the way to go!

Ohio Student in Ohio

63 months ago

Mel in Akron, Ohio said: Hey Tami...it would be WAY cool if we ended up working together. It seems like you and I have the same determination to get through this very tough program. We can do this! We should exchange emails. Are you on Facebook? We could keep in touch that way and keep tabs on how we are doing.

Hey, Mel- Please shoot over an email to me at TMJediSkills@aol.com regarding the facebook idea. Talk to you then! Have a great day!

Mel in Akron, Ohio

63 months ago

Ohio Student in Ohio said: Hey, Mel- Please shoot over an email to me at TMJediSkills@aol.com regarding the facebook idea. Talk to you then! Have a great day!

Sending it now!

Kelly in Youngstown, Ohio

62 months ago

Just wondering what Tri-C was and where it is located. I was just looking into SBC and now and really reconsidering it. I have looked into Kent and I just really don't want to wait that long to get into a program. I have about 3 years into YSU in basically general classes, but that was about 7 years ago. I wonder if any of these classes would transfer.

62 months ago

Hey kelly! I Know YSU at Kent state. I wouldnt do sanford brown if thats what your thinking. I hear they charge to much, plus their not fully the best school rep wise. Now with tri-c you might have to wait as well. Tri-c is located I believe near cleveland, or not to far outside it. Far as transfer, I would check to see first if your classes are still okay from 7 years ago, course catalogs change, and IDK the policy at YSU in regards to how long they keep credits after being out. I think you should be fine though. I know that Kent state takes alot of tri-c classes. I actually did some classes at Tri-c( their online classes ), while at kent. So, I dont see why, far as LERS and stuff that Tri-c wouldnt take YSU. Now since its an applied science, I am not sure how many LERS the program at tri-c has for you to transfer. However, far as SBC, thats your choice, I am not 100% sure about them. Maybe some have has success, again though, I think their rep isnt the greatest. I know they say their accredited, but some stories you read......not sure.

Mel in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

Kelly in Youngstown, Ohio said: Just wondering what Tri-C was and where it is located. I was just looking into SBC and now and really reconsidering it. I have looked into Kent and I just really don't want to wait that long to get into a program. I have about 3 years into YSU in basically general classes, but that was about 7 years ago. I wonder if any of these classes would transfer.

Tri-C has 3 campuses. The DMS program is located at the Western Campus in Parma. I live in Stow, and it's about 45 minutes for me to get there. I just finished all my pre-req's and I got my official acceptance letter to the program. I start in the Fall of 2010, so I only have to wait one year. That's not a long time. Plus, there is a chance that a spot could open up this Fall. I would think that Tri-C would accept YSU classes. Tri-C is an excellent school with a great reputation, and their credits transfer to most 4 year institutions, so I am sure that you would not have a problem. I love going there. It's a great school. How long is the wait at Kent?

Mel in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

Dboyz in Youngstown, Ohio said: Hey kelly! I Know YSU at Kent state. I wouldnt do sanford brown if thats what your thinking. I hear they charge to much, plus their not fully the best school rep wise. Now with tri-c you might have to wait as well. Tri-c is located I believe near cleveland, or not to far outside it. Far as transfer, I would check to see first if your classes are still okay from 7 years ago, course catalogs change, and IDK the policy at YSU in regards to how long they keep credits after being out. I think you should be fine though. I know that Kent state takes alot of tri-c classes. I actually did some classes at Tri-c( their online classes ), while at kent. So, I dont see why, far as LERS and stuff that Tri-c wouldnt take YSU. Now since its an applied science, I am not sure how many LERS the program at tri-c has for you to transfer. However, far as SBC, thats your choice, I am not 100% sure about them. Maybe some have has success, again though, I think their rep isnt the greatest. I know they say their accredited, but some stories you read......not sure.

Hey Dboyz...Did you decide which program you want to apply to?

Mel in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

Kelly in Youngstown, Ohio said: Just wondering what Tri-C was and where it is located. I was just looking into SBC and now and really reconsidering it. I have looked into Kent and I just really don't want to wait that long to get into a program. I have about 3 years into YSU in basically general classes, but that was about 7 years ago. I wonder if any of these classes would transfer.

Also....I second what Dboyz said...stay far, far away from SBC. They are bad news. I almost made that mistake, and I am so glad I went with Tri-C. You may have to wait, but at least you know you will come out with a degree from a respectable, accredited program.

Ann in Aurora, Ohio

62 months ago

Mel in Akron, Ohio said: I would really encourage you to stick with Tri-C. I am currently going there and I am finishing my pre-req's this semester. As with any wait list, you could be bumped up as people drop off or don't finish. Tri-C is a lot more respectable and a heck of a lot cheaper than SB, and you will be glad to have stuck with them. I don't care if I have to wait 3 years, I am not moving from Tri-C.

HI, I am considering going back to Tri-C for the Sonography program. I do still need pre-req's, how many class are taking at time. I am a Mom of two, work pt and not sure if I should go for 1 -3 and how long it will take to get these over with before I can apply to the program. Thanks

Mel in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

Ann in Aurora, Ohio said: HI, I am considering going back to Tri-C for the Sonography program. I do still need pre-req's, how many class are taking at time. I am a Mom of two, work pt and not sure if I should go for 1 -3 and how long it will take to get these over with before I can apply to the program. Thanks

Hi Ann. I would encourage you to take the Tri-C program. I am a mother of 2 also and I work full time. It took me 4 years to get my pre-req's done, only because I usually took 1 or 2 classes at a time, I had to take a couple of them over (math and physics) and I ended up taking a year off. So, really, it might have only taken me 2 years to finish, if you don't count all of that. But, since you work part time, you could probably knock out 2-3 classes a semester, but don't overdo it, just to get done. Some of the classes are tough, and you don't want to have a semester where you are taking math, physics and anatomy. That would be too tough. Just pace yourself, and try to remember what the end result will be. It will take time, but it will be worth it. I just finished my pre-req's this past December, and I got my letter stating I will start the program in Fall 2010. That's only a year to wait. A lot of places have longer wait times. Plus, there is always a chance that I could get a spot for this Fall. Let me know if you have any questions. Tri-C is an AWESOME school.

Ann in Twinsburg, Ohio

62 months ago

Mel in Akron, Ohio said: Hi Ann. I would encourage you to take the Tri-C program. I am a mother of 2 also and I work full time. It took me 4 years to get my pre-req's done, only because I usually took 1 or 2 classes at a time, I had to take a couple of them over (math and physics) and I ended up taking a year off. So, really, it might have only taken me 2 years to finish, if you don't count all of that. But, since you work part time, you could probably knock out 2-3 classes a semester, but don't overdo it, just to get done. Some of the classes are tough, and you don't want to have a semester where you are taking math, physics and anatomy. That would be too tough. Just pace yourself, and try to remember what the end result will be. It will take time, but it will be worth it. I just finished my pre-req's this past December, and I got my letter stating I will start the program in Fall 2010. That's only a year to wait. A lot of places have longer wait times. Plus, there is always a chance that I could get a spot for this Fall. Let me know if you have any questions. Tri-C is an AWESOME school.

THANK YOU for responding. I just met w/ a counsler today to find out I have 4 math classes to take. YUK. I do have all my college com. classes done from years ago. Anyway I have a long road to go, at least 1 year before applying. Good luck to you and I hope you get in earlier.

Mel in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

Ann in Twinsburg, Ohio said: THANK YOU for responding. I just met w/ a counsler today to find out I have 4 math classes to take. YUK. I do have all my college com. classes done from years ago. Anyway I have a long road to go, at least 1 year before applying. Good luck to you and I hope you get in earlier.

Hey Ann! Don't feel bad...you are in the same boat I was 4 years ago. I did terrible on my math placement test, and I had to take 3 general math classes before I could take the math that was required for the program. So, I had to take 4 also. Just pace yourself, take your time, and you will be done with your pre-req's before you know it. Also, you can still send in your application early. They just hold onto it until you are done with your pre-req's. You need to do your shadowing experience though, before you can turn your DMS application in. Good luck...and keep me posted on your progress. It will go by fast, belive me!

Ann in Twinsburg, Ohio

62 months ago

Thanks again. I should have asked before, does tri-c help you find a shadowing program. How do you do that part?

Mel in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

Ann in Twinsburg, Ohio said: Thanks again. I should have asked before, does tri-c help you find a shadowing program. How do you do that part?

No, you pretty much have to set up your shadowing on your own. You can pretty much do it anywhere. Just call a hospital close to you and see if they accept students to shadow. I already work at a hospital, so I just did it there. Do you have the DMS application packet yet? If not, request one. The shadowing form is on there, and there are also numbers you can call, to set up a shadowing experience. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Good luck!

lori in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

Hi Mel, I live in Akron as well. I am a single mother of two children and I have looked into the program at Tri-C and met with aa academic advisor last week. I have followed your posts for about a bit. I am very interested in the DMS program. I have a few credits from Tri-C from 10 years ago that do not count toward my prerequisits for the program. I have also attended Sanford Brown and have my certificate in medical assisting and have been working in the field for the past 8 years. I need to advance in my career, I just cant survive and raise my children on the income I make as an MA. I am not interested in returning to Sanford Brown for the DMS program, I would like to go through Tri-C. I know it will be worth the long term education, I was just wondering if you knew a couple of answers to some questions I have. After graduation with an AAS in Sonography, are you required to have 12 months employment to sit for registry with ARDMS? Have you looked into how difficult it may be finding a job as a sonographer? Where are there programs for sleep study techs? That actually sounds pretty interesting to me, the docs where I work order many sleep studies, I dont think that most patients go through with them. I am just a bit discouraged with the amount of time that it will take as I would be starting from zero in my education. The hard work that goes into an education is a bit scary for me, I have to work full time to support my family. Thanks!

Mel in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

After graduation with an AAS in Sonography, are you required to have 12 months employment to sit for registry with ARDMS? Have you looked into how difficult it may be finding a job as a sonographer? Where are there programs for sleep study techs? That actually sounds pretty interesting to me, the docs where I work order many sleep studies, I dont think that most patients go through with them. I am just a bit discouraged with the amount of time that it will take as I would be starting from zero in my education. The hard work that goes into an education is a bit scary for me, I have to work full time to support my family. Thanks!

Hey Lori! With Tri-C, you have made the right choice. Because they are accredited by all of the proper institutions, you can sit for the boards as soon as you are done with the program. I was reading in one of the Radiology magazines, that with all of the modalities, Ultrasound is the hardest to fill and therefore, is the most in demand. Now, that also depends on the area you live in, but I have seen plenty of postings for Sonographers in our area. If you are interested in Polysomnography (sleep study), Tri-C also offers that program. It is a one-year certificate program.

Becky in Cleveland, Ohio

62 months ago

Hi Mel, I read all your posting and they are very very helpful.The only thing I am confused about is that I have been looking closely at the job openings in cleveland and sonograph jobs are scarce. When I graduate maybe I have to move out of state for a job. What do you think?

Mel in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

Becky in Cleveland, Ohio said: Hi Mel, I read all your posting and they are very very helpful.The only thing I am confused about is that I have been looking closely at the job openings in cleveland and sonograph jobs are scarce. When I graduate maybe I have to move out of state for a job. What do you think?

Hey Becky. The thing is, they just might not be posting the jobs. They could be filling them with the students who come through and do their clinicals. Or, it could be like you said, and that maybe in this part of OH, the jobs just might not be there. I am keeping the option of moving open when I graduate. If you look in the job section of the radiology magazines, you will notice that some places offer up to a $10,000 sign on bonus for the right sonographer. Like I said, out of all the radiology modalities, Ultrasound is the most in demand, so you are going in the right direction. Take a look at this link: www.radiologytoday.net/archive/rt_121508p14.1.pdf

I have seen several postings in the Akron area for sonographers at Summa, Robinson and Children's. What school are you going to?

Becky in Cleveland, Ohio

62 months ago

Thanks you for responding Mel.I am going to tri-c,but not in program yet,still doing the pre-courses. Congratulations for getting into the program!Wish you all the best.

Mel in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

Becky in Cleveland, Ohio said: Thanks you for responding Mel.I am going to tri-c,but not in program yet,still doing the pre-courses. Congratulations for getting into the program!Wish you all the best.

Thanks Becky! Good luck to you too! You will be done with your pre-req's before you know it. Let me know if you have any questions. You can find me here or on Facebook.

gab in Brentwood, New York

62 months ago

Laura M in Cleveland in Cleveland, Ohio said: I really need some help trying to figure out if I should enroll at Sanford Brown vs. returning to Tri-c. The waiting list for tri-c is something that is making me hesitate but the high cost and mixed reviews are the cons for SB. I need to know what happens after graduating SB, if SB is worth the time and effort. Please help!

it is not worth the time i go to the one ny and its giving me problems with all of my crdeits and wont even let me transfer out. dont go to sb at all.

cntrylvr27 in Akron, Ohio

61 months ago

Hey all! I just got done reading all the posts. I'm a single mom in my early thirties with a 6 year old son & I work full-time. I'm thinking of a career change to DMS & meeting with Sanford Brown tomorrow. Although, I wish I had read this before I agreed to meet with her. I had no idea their program was $34,000! However, I also had no idea that my preference (Tri-C) had a waiting list. I'm looking into this career but not sure how I could actually do it financially. I still have loans from getting my Bachelor's in 2000! I have to work to support my son & myself. I'm hoping I can take some pre-reqs online maybe? Has anyone done this? Which ones are available & what institution did you take them through? After that & if/when I would get accepted to a program I don't know how I would go that long with no income. How are some of you doing it? Also, I keep reading online how this field is in such demand & looking to grow in the future but I see no job postings out there for it (as I'm also currently looking to change jobs). Unfortunately, I can't really see relocating being much of an option either. I guess I'm just wondering if I should even pursue this...maybe I'm just dreaming?

Mel in Akron, Ohio

61 months ago

I'm thinking of a career change to DMS & meeting with Sanford Brown tomorrow. Although, I wish I had read this before I agreed to meet with her. I had no idea their program was $34,000! However, I also had no idea that my preference (Tri-C) had a waiting list. I'm hoping I can take some pre-reqs online maybe? Has anyone done this? Which ones are available & what institution did you take them through? After that & if/when I would get accepted to a program I don't know how I would go that long with no income. How are some of you doing it? Also, I keep reading online how this field is in such demand & looking to grow in the future but I see no job postings out there for it (as I'm also currently looking to change jobs). Unfortunately, I can't really see relocating being much of an option either. I guess I'm just wondering if I should even pursue this...maybe I'm just dreaming?

Please..please..please do not go to Sanford Brown. You will be sorry. Don't be afraid to cancel your appointment. You are entitled to do that. I just finished my pre-req's at Tri-C and I am starting my DMS program next Fall (2010). That is only a year. Plus, a spot could still open up for this Fall. The wait time could have been worse. Tri-C is a third of the cost and they have an excellent reputation with all of the right accreditations. Some of the classes can be taken online and if you have to take them on campus, Tri-C has tons of offerings and I took most of mine on the weekends. I switched jobs at the hospital where I work, so now I work nights to be able to accomodate the program next Fall. I am like you, I do not have the luxury of not working. My employer is paying for this degree, so I am lucky. The jobs are out there and Ultrasound is the most in demand out of all of the Radiology modalities. Please reconsider and go to Tri-C. I don't want to see you waste your time, not to mention $34,000.

Mel in Akron, Ohio

61 months ago

cntrylvr27 in Akron, Ohio said: Hey all! I just got done reading all the posts. I'm a single mom in my early thirties with a 6 year old son & I work full-time. I'm thinking of a career change to DMS & meeting with Sanford Brown tomorrow. Although, I wish I had read this before I agreed to meet with her. I had no idea their program was $34,000! However, I also had no idea that my preference (Tri-C) had a waiting list. I'm looking into this career but not sure how I could actually do it financially. I still have loans from getting my Bachelor's in 2000! I have to work to support my son & myself. I'm hoping I can take some pre-reqs online maybe? Has anyone done this? Which ones are available & what institution did you take them through? After that & if/when I would get accepted to a program I don't know how I would go that long with no income. How are some of you doing it? Also, I keep reading online how this field is in such demand & looking to grow in the future but I see no job postings out there for it (as I'm also currently looking to change jobs). Unfortunately, I can't really see relocating being much of an option either. I guess I'm just wondering if I should even pursue this...maybe I'm just dreaming?

Please..please..please do not go to Sanford Brown. You will be sorry. Don't be afraid to cancel your appointment. You are entitled to do that. I just finished my pre-req's at Tri-C and I am starting my DMS program next Fall (2010). That is only a year. Plus, a spot could still open up for this Fall. The wait time could have been worse. Tri-C is a third of the cost and they have an excellent reputation with all of the right accreditations. Some of the classes can be taken online and if you have to take them on campus, Tri-C has tons of offerings and I took most of mine on the weekends. I switched jobs at the hospital where I work, so now I work nights to be able to accomodate the program next Fall. I am like you, I do not have the luxury of not w

61 months ago

Well, I did go to the meeting at Sanford-Brown. The lady I met with was very nice. I was surprised to hear that you don't have to take any pre-requisites. I guess that is because you just get a certificate and not an associates degree. (I'm not sure how much that weighs in when applying for a job). Also, there is no waiting list. The classes starting in August are evening classes from 6-10. Those were the good things. But that price tag is one big downfall. I think it was actually $35,000 something & with the max in grants & loans I would still have like $6,700 to pay plus all the loans I'd be left with. The grant money was only around $4,000! I'm going to try to meet with Tri-C next week. I'm just scared about the waiting list and then having to work while I'm in the program itself. How will I have time to study? This whole thing seems impossible but I really want to do it!

Mel in Akron, Ohio

61 months ago

cntrylvr27 in Akron, Ohio said: Well, I did go to the meeting at Sanford-Brown. The lady I met with was very nice. Also, there is no waiting list. The classes starting in August are evening classes from 6-10. Those were the good things. But that price tag is one big downfall. I think it was actually $35,000 something & with the max in grants & loans I would still have like $6,700 to pay plus all the loans I'd be left with. The grant money was only around $4,000! I'm going to try to meet with Tri-C next week. I'm just scared about the waiting list and then having to work while I'm in the program itself. How will I have time to study? This whole thing seems impossible but I really want to do it!

Well...ultimately, it is your decision, however, I think if you go with Sanford Brown, just because there is no waiting list, you will regret it. I spoke with someone who went to the Sanford Brown you are probably looking into, and she said she was sorry that she went there, and she wished she had stuck it out at Tri-C. Nothing worth having ever comes fast and easy, and with Tri-C, you will have a degree from a well respected institution and you can sit for your boards immediately when you graduate, without the high price tag. If you decide on SB, I wish you lots of luck.

61 months ago

Mel, I probably won't go with SB but I can see why some people might that's all. Personally, I can't afford to get myself in much more debt with school loans. I know your employer is paying for your program but I was wondering if you know an estimated cost of the pre-requisites. Also, if I have a bachelor's and took some math, english and biology classes is it possible I may not have to take ALL of the pre-reqs? I got the impression that I have to apply to Tri-C before I can meet with someone to get information about the program...do you know if this is correct? I see you can do the general admission application online so I guess I will get working on that at least. I'm really glad I found this forum & can talk to some people that have been faced with the same difficult decisions.

Mel in Akron, Ohio

61 months ago

cntrylvr27 in Akron, Ohio said: Mel, I probably won't go with SB but I can see why some people might that's all. Personally, I can't afford to get myself in much more debt with school loans. I know your employer is paying for your program but I was wondering if you know an estimated cost of the pre-requisites. Also, if I have a bachelor's and took some math, english and biology classes is it possible I may not have to take ALL of the pre-reqs? I got the impression that I have to apply to Tri-C before I can meet with someone to get information about the program...do you know if this is correct? I see you can do the general admission application online so I guess I will get working on that at least. I'm really glad I found this forum & can talk to some people that have been faced with the same difficult decisions.

I apologize if I came off as pushy, I just really don't want to see you waste your time and money on SB. That place is a joke. Tri-C only is $106 per credit hour. So, I am not sure how many hours you can take per semester, but that will at least give you a start as to how much it will cost. How long ago did you get your bachelor's? If it has not been that long, the Math/Science/English classes you took should transfer over. It can't be more than 7 years ago. Apply to Tri-C online, and then call to make your appointment. I am happy to answer any questions you have. If you want to contact me off of this board, let me know, and I will be happy to give you my email. I am also on Facebook.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.