Sanford Brown College in Cleveland, OH

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (101 to 150 of 263)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

Mel in Columbus, Ohio

64 months ago

Hi guys, I've been reading your comments on the different sonography programs around Ohio. I am in in cols and I am looking into different schools. The problem is theres none in Cols!! (Besides OSU) I am not looking to get a bachlors degree. I am a Licensed Massage Therapist and I attended Columbus State Community College. I have taken 4 quarters of anatomy and Phys along with a lot of the other GECs. I wonder if the would transfer (I know that the do transfer to OSU). Anyway, I am also wondering where is the shortest travel time from Cols and if I can do some "distance learning" at any of these schools (at least for some of the classes). Any advise would be great, Thanks!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cntrylvr27 in Akron, Ohio

64 months ago

Mel, thanks for the cost info. I graduated in 2000 so I guess that stuff won't transfer. That stinks! Anyway, yeah that would be great to email or chat on facebook sometime. I have a ton of questions as you can tell. LOL. Have a great day!

cutie in Cleveland, Ohio

64 months ago

Hello everyone,

I am just responding to the comments and questions about Sanford Brown. I graduated from Sanford Brown after it became an accredited school just like Tri-c. I sat for my boards immediately following graduation and passed my registry on the first try!!! I started working at a major hosiptal in Cleveland 3 weeks after graduating... Sanford Brown worked for me because there was no waiting list and I liked the stable schedule m-f 6-9pm. The school is not that bad-some of the clinical assignments are a bit far but I know they were working to get some closer to cleveland. Sanford Brown had a bad reputation back in the day, but I believe they have continued to improve there bad image. I had no problems with the school. The cost was not 34000 though when I went there it was more like 20000. So I can understand your issues with the cost. Had it been that much I do not know if I would have attended either. Tri-C is also a wonderful school but they do have a waiting list. True, you do get an associates from tri c. I already had an associate degree from another college so that was not important to me to obtain another one. As long as you can scan and pass the ARDMS registry you will be fine. I know many people that have graduated from Sanford Brown that are employed at the two major hospitals in Clevleand including myself. I just wanted to offer a different opinion about Sanford Brown. I hope it helps...The program is only 18 mos also as opposed to 24 mos..if that matters.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mel in Akron, Ohio

64 months ago

cutie in Cleveland, Ohio said: Hello everyone,

I am just responding to the comments and questions about Sanford Brown. I graduated from Sanford Brown after it became an accredited school just like Tri-c. I sat for my boards immediately following graduation and passed my registry on the first try!!! I started working at a major hosiptal in Cleveland 3 weeks after graduating... Sanford Brown worked for me because there was no waiting list and I liked the stable schedule m-f 6-9pm. The school is not that bad-some of the clinical assignments are a bit far but I know they were working to get some closer to cleveland. Sanford Brown had a bad reputation back in the day, but I believe they have continued to improve there bad image. I had no problems with the school. The cost was not 34000 though when I went there it was more like 20000. So I can understand your issues with the cost. Had it been that much I do not know if I would have attended either. Tri-C is also a wonderful school but they do have a waiting list. True, you do get an associates from tri c. I already had an associate degree from another college so that was not important to me to obtain another one. As long as you can scan and pass the ARDMS registry you will be fine. I know many people that have graduated from Sanford Brown that are employed at the two major hospitals in Clevleand including myself. I just wanted to offer a different opinion about Sanford Brown. I hope it helps...The program is only 18 mos also as opposed to 24 mos..if that matters.

Cutie...I am very glad that your experience at SB was a positive one. It's just a shame that they have to fleece people out of $34,000+ for the program. I finally got my acceptance letter to get into the DMS program at Tri-C and I only have to wait 1 year, which is not too bad.

Tony in Cleveland, Ohio

64 months ago

I'am thinking of SBC. Did you work while you went or did anyone in your class work?

Lori in Canton, Ohio

64 months ago

I have a question, if anyone knows the answer it would be very helpful... If you go into the program without an associates degree at SBC, are you then immediately able to sit for the ARDMS registry? Thanks!

collant in Cherry Hill, New Jersey

64 months ago

the associates degree or lack of one means nothing at SBI. at the SBI in trevose, you are eligible to sit for the CCI exam, which from what i gather is very basic, and upon passing that you may sit for the ARDMS. you are eligible to sit for the CCI as soon as you finish your classtime (so before you enter externship).

cutie in Cleveland, Ohio

64 months ago

The SBC in Cleveland, OH you are able to sit for your ARDMS boards immediately after graduating.

64 months ago

Mel in Akron, Ohio said: Cutie...I am very glad that your experience at SB was a positive one. It's just a shame that they have to fleece people out of $34,000+ for the program. I finally got my acceptance letter to get into the DMS program at Tri-C and I only have to wait 1 year, which is not too bad.

Mel, what is the waiting list based on? Do they go in order of when you finished your prerequisites, the grades you got in the prerequisites, other education you may have, etc.?????

64 months ago

Mel, I got my acceptance letter from Tri-C yesterday! So now I'm not really sure what I do. I know I need to get my transcripts sent to them but not sure what the next step after that is. I probably need to meet with financial aid & an advisor. I'm not sure if there are any placements tests or anyone else I need to contact. Any suggestions?

Mel1971 in Akron, Ohio

64 months ago

cntrylvr27 in Akron, Ohio said: Mel, I got my acceptance letter from Tri-C yesterday! So now I'm not really sure what I do. I know I need to get my transcripts sent to them but not sure what the next step after that is. I probably need to meet with financial aid & an advisor. I'm not sure if there are any placements tests or anyone else I need to contact. Any suggestions?

Hey there! Good for you! Yes, get your transcripts and send them in, because they need to see what will transfer from any previous college experience. If your English and Math classes were more than 7 years ago (I think), you do need to take a placement test for both of those subjects. I don't think you need to make an appointment for the placement test, you just need to go onto the Tri-C website for the Placement center hours. I would get those two tings done ASAP, just so you can sign up for Fall classes. Fall sign ups are in a few weeks. Go to the Tri-C website too. It goes through the whole admission process for you. It's very easy to navigate and the people there are very helpful. They have 3 campuses. I don't know where you live, but I would just advise going to the Western Campus in Parma, since that is where the DMS program is and it is also the nicest of the 3 campuses.

64 months ago

Mel, thanks for the info. You mentioned signing up for Fall semester. I think I saw somewhere that the Summer semester starts in May, I wonder if it is even possible to get started by then? I know they need to receive my transcripts & I guess I'll have to take the placement tests like you said & try for some financial aid. I'm not really sure how long all of this takes. Also, I saw that the medical terminology & english prequisites are available through distance learning. Did you do any of that? Just wondering what it is like. That would be nice as my job is going through lots of changes & I'm not sure what my hours might be like in the very near future. Also, I'm trying to keep the fact that I'm doing this kinda quiet from my employer.

Mel1971 in Akron, Ohio

64 months ago

I think it could still be possible for you to start the summer semester...you will just have to hustle. Get those transcripts in and just go up to the campus and take the placement tests. You can sign up for classes online.

I did take some of my classes online, which was nice. I took my English, Medical Terminology, Bioethics and an Anatomy class online. It was pretty easy.

In this economy, you made the right choice to go back to school. Let me know if you have anymore questions!

cutie in Cleveland, Ohio

64 months ago

Just a fyi for everyone:

Lorain County Community College also has a diagnostic medical sonography program also. I believe they offer a two year associates degree also. Maybe the waiting list is shorter.

Lori in Akron, Ohio

64 months ago

Has anyone looked into the radiology program at Tri-C? What are the advantages of sonography over radiology? The salary seems a little more for a sonographer, but not by much. Is there a demand in the field for a Radiology Tech? Does Tri-C offer education in CT or MRI through the radiology course? Maybe these are focused on at clinical sites. Some of the same courses are needed to apply for either program, DMS or Radiography, at Tri-C.

Mel in Akron, Ohio

64 months ago

Lori in Akron, Ohio said: Has anyone looked into the radiology program at Tri-C? What are the advantages of sonography over radiology? The salary seems a little more for a sonographer, but not by much. Is there a demand in the field for a Radiology Tech? Does Tri-C offer education in CT or MRI through the radiology course? Maybe these are focused on at clinical sites. Some of the same courses are needed to apply for either program, DMS or Radiography, at Tri-C.

It all boils down to what you want to do...x-ray or sonography. There really aren't any advantages or disadvantages. Sonography still remains the most in demand of all radiology fields and they actually earn quite a bit more than x-ray technicians. Plus, you have to think about the possible long-term radiation exposure when being a radiography technician, whereas in ultrasound, you aren't exposed to that. It all comes down to personal choice. The x-ray program starts twice a year. Ultrasound only starts once a year. I read an article recently that the demand for x-ray techs has leveled out, meaning there aren't many jobs right now because the market it so saturated. But, there is also the bad economy right now. So, hopefully, no matter what you decide to do, by the time we finish our programs, the economy will have rebounded and the jobs will be there. I have seen postings for both, so I wouldn't worry. I am starting the Ultrasound program this Fall at Tri-C. Good luck!

Mel in Akron, Ohio

64 months ago

cutie in Cleveland, Ohio said: Just a fyi for everyone:

Lorain County Community College also has a diagnostic medical sonography program also. I believe they offer a two year associates degree also. Maybe the waiting list is shorter.

Also, Kent State has a branch in Salem, and they offer the DMS degree, but it is a 4 year degree. You can major in just DMS, or do a dual major in DMS/Radiography. Kent State Salem also offers CT and MRI.

aziza in Cleveland, Ohio

64 months ago

dose anybody know of the sbc graduates recive jobs at the clevand clinic because when i was there they said they would never hire students from that school.??? thats crazy for an emplopyee to say that she dosent even do the hiring

cutie in Cleveland, Ohio

64 months ago

Yes, I was employed at the main campus and I am now employed at a regional campus of Cleveland Clinic. I have been within the Cleveland Clinic sysytem since I graduated 5 years ago. They have many Sanford Brown grads there. UH also hires Sanford Brown grads, I have friends that work there. The main thing is to get ARDMS and have excellent scanning capablilites.

dboyz0123 in Youngstown, Ohio

64 months ago

Lori in Akron, Ohio said: Has anyone looked into the radiology program at Tri-C? What are the advantages of sonography over radiology? The salary seems a little more for a sonographer, but not by much. Is there a demand in the field for a Radiology Tech? Does Tri-C offer education in CT or MRI through the radiology course? Maybe these are focused on at clinical sites. Some of the same courses are needed to apply for either program, DMS or Radiography, at Tri-C.

I heard the same thing about radiography, about the demand drop. Unless your willing to go into CT or mri......Maybe an employer will eventually train you after your proven, you will make better money( in ct or mri than just normal x-ray ). Not saying R/Ts dont make good money, but ultrasound has potential for more. Far as degrees go. Weither to go for an A.S or Bachelors in either, it depends. With a bachelor you might have better chances of advancement, doesnt mean its true...just sayin. Also, depends on how much time you want to put in.Personally if I lived closer, I would go to tri-c. Their cheap, even compared to YSU or Kent state. Heck, for this one class at Kent it cost 1150.00. Now most classes there are not that much, it was from the Kent campus, and the class itself. Kent has regional campuses. However, their DMS program is a bachelors degree.

Basically the Degree at kent is a bunch of lers and electives, with an A.S in DMS..lol. They really could just make an A.S instead of throwing LERS and electives. I mean cmon, how far is history or bowling going to do you as a Tech...lol.j/k. However, either way, both professions are better than nothing and your knowledge will be smarter. Both have good pay( the better mostly in ultra ). In Ohio, consider dem. graphics when doing salaries, WE ARE IN OHIO PPL....lol. A starting radio tech I think makes around 30-35k a year. Hey check out different salary sites. Also consider when doing salaries, the experience as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Does anyone have The Language of Medicine 8th Edition by Davi-Ellen Chabner textbook that they no longer want/need?

63 months ago

Mel,
I know you said before that you took the Medical Terminology & some other courses online. I signed up for Medical Terminology in the fall because summer was all full, however, today I saw 2 openings so I registered for it in the summer. But I do have some vacations scheduled this summer & wanted to know how the online thing all works. Do you have to go to campus to take tests? If the tests are online, are they on a certain day & time? Thanks!

Mel in Akron, Ohio

63 months ago

Hey there. It should say in the course description online, whether you have to take any of the tests online. When I took it, everything was online. I did not have to go to the campus to take tests. Go to where you register for classes, click on the CRN number, and this will give you the description for that class. I was just at Tri-C today for my orientation for the DMS program. Good luck!

cntrylvr27 in Akron, Ohio said: Mel,
I know you said before that you took the Medical Terminology & some other courses online. I signed up for Medical Terminology in the fall because summer was all full, however, today I saw 2 openings so I registered for it in the summer. But I do have some vacations scheduled this summer & wanted to know how the online thing all works. Do you have to go to campus to take tests? If the tests are online, are they on a certain day & time? Thanks!

63 months ago

Mel,
Thanks! It says the tests are online. Since I've never done an online course I'm not sure how it all works. Are the tests on a specific day at a specific time or do you have a couple days span in which to take it? I'm just worried because I have some long weekend trips planned this summer where I won't have internet access so I wanted to know if there might be some major conflicts.

Mel in Akron, Ohio

63 months ago

From what I remember, the teacher usually makes the test available during a certain time frame. For example, you would have a week to complete the test. I don't believe it would be a certain day/time, because that would defeat the whole purpose of allowing people the flexibility of taking courses online. You will be ok and they give you plenty of time to submit homework and do the quizzes/tests. What are you majoring in? Is it DMS? If so, what specialty?

Thanks! It says the tests are online. Since I've never done an online course I'm not sure how it all works. Are the tests on a specific day at a specific time or do you have a couple days span in which to take it? I'm just worried because I have some long weekend trips planned this summer where I won't have internet access so I wanted to know if there might be some major conflicts.

63 months ago

Mel,
Thanks for the info. That puts my mind at ease. I'm just kinda stressed b/c I've been trying to get into the summer Medical Terminology but it's been full. Then yesterday I checked & there was an opening so now it's rush & get books & pay the tuition. I'm going on vacation for a week starting tomorrow & won't have access to the internet & class starts the following Tuesday so it's been hectic. Yes my major is DMS & this is my first prerequisite. I'm signed up for Anatomy on Saturdays in the Fall. As far as the specialty, I'm thinking OB but want to find out more about all of them before I really decide. What specialty are you doing? Thanks again, you have been so helpful in all this chaos!!! I really appreciate it.

Mel in Akron, Ohio

63 months ago

No problem, I am always glad to help. It has taken me a long time to get to where I am at, so I understand. It is tough sometimes, but it will be worth it in the end. I'll have to tell you all about the orientation we just had for the program. I am starting the Vascular option in the Fall, but I may try to do a double specialty and pick up Cardiac too. If you do OB, that specialty is OB/GYN and Abdomen. They combined the two. That will make you more marketable. They pretty much told us that we would be eating, breathing and living Ultrasound for the next two years and that they program is tough and pretty stressful sometimes. But, we just need to focus and have a good support system to get through it. Not to mention lots and lots of studying. So, for the next two years, I pretty much won't have a life. I am excited though!

Thanks for the info. That puts my mind at ease. I'm just kinda stressed b/c I've been trying to get into the summer Medical Terminology but it's been full. Then yesterday I checked & there was an opening so now it's rush & get books & pay the tuition. I'm going on vacation for a week starting tomorrow & won't have access to the internet & class starts the following Tuesday so it's been hectic. Yes my major is DMS & this is my first prerequisite. I'm signed up for Anatomy on Saturdays in the Fall. As far as the specialty, I'm thinking OB but want to find out more about all of them before I really decide. What specialty are you doing? Thanks again, you have been so helpful in all this chaos!!! I really appreciate it.

sexycutiepie in Cleveland, Ohio

63 months ago

JUST A FYI: VASCULAR TECHS NORMALLY MAKE MORE THAN GENERAL SONOGRAPHERS. I AM A GENERAL SONOGRAPHER BUT I HAVE VASCULAR EXPERIENCE ALSO...TRY TO GET A CLINICAL SITE THAT HAS BOTH.. MOST HOSPITALS DON'T HAVE A SEPARTE VASCULAR DEPARTMENT, THEREFORE YOU HAVE TO KNOW HOW TO SCAN VASCULAR AND GENERAL--IF YOU ARE A GENERAL ULTRASOUND TECH. ON THE OTHERHAND REGISTERED VASCULAR TECHS USAULLY STICK TO JUST THAT..

63 months ago

Mel,
Sounds like the orientation was informative. I was looking through some of the materials I have & it looked like abdomen & OB were separate at one time & that now they are combined. Good to know that is the case & I think you are right, it does make you more marketable. I would think just one or the other would be pretty limiting. I'm glad to hear that you are excited. I am too & I'm just starting. I did get out of the math & english prerequisites though b/c of my bachelor's degree which was a great relief. So, I'm taking Med. Term. this summer. Anatomy in the fall & the 3 DMS in Spring. Or at least that is the plan right now. Then besides the actual DMS courses in the program I'll have a speech, psych & maybe a philosophy (my advisor said to contact the program director & see if an ethics class I took in college might count towards that). Did you take those classes already or are you taking them within the actual program?

Mel in Akron, Ohio

63 months ago

Yes, the OB/Abd were seperate at one time. I am done with my ethics and psych classes. I didn't have to take a speech, because I had taken one with my associates degree that I already have and it transferred. Thank God! I would recommend getting any and all classes you can out of the way before you start the program, because the classes/labs you take when you get into the program are rigorous enough. I would try to pick up one of the DMS classes this Fall with your Anatomy, just so you don't have 3 in one semester. I will warn you, the DMS 1070 (Physics) class is pretty tough, so I would try and take that one by itself if you can, because that will take up enough of your time.

Sounds like the orientation was informative. I was looking through some of the materials I have & it looked like abdomen & OB were separate at one time & that now they are combined. Good to know that is the case & I think you are right, it does make you more marketable. I would think just one or the other would be pretty limiting. I'm glad to hear that you are excited. I am too & I'm just starting. I did get out of the math & english prerequisites though b/c of my bachelor's degree which was a great relief. So, I'm taking Med. Term. this summer. Anatomy in the fall & the 3 DMS in Spring. Or at least that is the plan right now. Then besides the actual DMS courses in the program I'll have a speech, psych & maybe a philosophy (my advisor said to contact the program director & see if an ethics class I took in college might count towards that). Did you take those classes already or are you taking them within the actual program?

63 months ago

Thanks for the warning about DMS 1070. I thought the Anatomy was going to be tough (thought I rememered you or someone on here saying that before) so I was trying to take that by itself. Also, I think I remember you saying you took Anatomy online but isn't there are lab component or did you just have the lecture online & have to go in for lab? Doesn't look like it's offered online anymore in any case, unfortunately. Well, I am off for a week of vacation & then I'll be back & thrown into college once more! Have a good one!

Mel in Akron, Ohio

63 months ago

I enjoyed the Anatomy class. I had a great instructor. There are some Anatomy classes you can take online, but not for DMS. I got to tour the new Health Sciences wing at Tri-C at my orientation and let me tell you, the new DMS lab/classrooms are beautiful. Soooo much better than what they had before. What day is your Anatomy class in the Fall? Are you going to the Western campus? I will be at the campus on Tuesdays and Thursdays for my DMS lab/lecture classes.

cntrylvr27 in Akron, Ohio said: Thanks for the warning about DMS 1070. I thought the Anatomy was going to be tough (thought I rememered you or someone on here saying that before) so I was trying to take that by itself. Also, I think I remember you saying you took Anatomy online but isn't there are lab component or did you just have the lecture online & have to go in for lab? Doesn't look like it's offered online anymore in any case, unfortunately. Well, I am off for a week of vacation & then I'll be back & thrown into college once more! Have a good one!

62 months ago

Who did you have for Anatomy? I am taking it on Saturdays at the Western campus so as not to interfere with work & tip them off to my going to school for as long as I can. I haven't seen the labs or classrooms yet but they sound great! If you want, you can email me at cntrylvr27@aol.com. You've been so much help to me! My online terminology class starts Tuesday & I'm curious as to how it all works. But kinda stressed at the same time not knowing how I'm gonna be able to work full time, do course work & spend time with my son. Not to mention keep the house clean, spend time with my fiance, family & of course have a little bit of fun out on the boat this summer. I guess it'll all work out but having someone else you has gone through or is going through some of the same things to talk to would help.

Sarah in Warren, Ohio

62 months ago

Hey Mel! Decided to do some research on DMS tonight, as I am also currently a student at the Western campus for it, and I came across this site. I will be finishing up my pre reqs this fall, and then all I'll have left are a couple psychology classes and won't have anything else to take. I'm PRAYING to gain acceptance next fall (because, otherwise I'll probably just take classes for the heck of it), but who knows if I'll get in next fall. I'm confused as to when I should send in my application, and I'd like to know how soon you did and how long it took you to get an acceptance letter. I'm unsure of whether or not I should send it in early..or right when I finish up this upcoming fall. Is there a certain time you'd recommend sending it in? I talked to a counselor who told me not to send it in until I was done, and then double checked with another counselor and he came back and told me if he were me, he'd send it in early. So, I'm just confused, because some of the information packets I've gotten from campus seem to push you to wait to send that application in!

cntrylvr27, I just took a few online classes this past semester. Honestly, I prefer sitting in a class rather than doing them online, but it depends on what you like. It felt like twice as much work. My bioethics class had quizzes due at the end of each week, and a final to do every 4-5 weeks, plus random papers due every once in a while. It was pretty tough, and consisted of a LOT of studying. I took another online, English 1020, and I had assignments due every other day. So to answer your question about when things are due..it just depends on the class! Oh..and I assume you shouldn't have tests to take on campus unless you signed up for a hybrid class. I am also signed up for Anatomy this fall, but it's a Tuesday/Thursday class. Good luck to you in your classes!

Ann in Mantua, Ohio

62 months ago

Hi,
I start the on line Medical Term. tomorrow as well. I have no idea how to even go about it. I guess I will check it out tomorrow. Good luck.

Tara in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

Hey Mel,
Congrats on getting into the program. I just finished all my prereqs this month and doesnt look like I will get in. I knew there was only a slight chance. Only chance of still getting in is if someone drops out. I agree, my physics was the hardest prereq. I was so worried about algebra and A&P but physics was soooo tough. I am going for vascular also. Goodluck!

Mel in Akron, Ohio said: I enjoyed the Anatomy class. I had a great instructor. There are some Anatomy classes you can take online, but not for DMS. I got to tour the new Health Sciences wing at Tri-C at my orientation and let me tell you, the new DMS lab/classrooms are beautiful. Soooo much better than what they had before. What day is your Anatomy class in the Fall? Are you going to the Western campus? I will be at the campus on Tuesdays and Thursdays for my DMS lab/lecture classes.

montana in Northfield, Ohio

62 months ago

I was horrible in Math and Science in High School which was 20 yrs ago. I want to apply for the Medical Sonography program at Tri C but am afraid I won't pass the admissions tests. Can anyone recommend any good online classes that might help me prep for the tests?

62 months ago

Sexy Tonya N. in Akron, Ohio said: Hey coco. Whats up. girl sanford Brown is not even in my vocabulary. If you know what I mean. First off she told me I had to take medical assisting first since i didnt have enough credits. That is $13,710. Once completed then I go into the ultrasound program thats $34,490. Girlfriend they are nuts I mean really nuts.They credits dont transfer to colleges so that would be a waste if I wanted to futher my education. I wont do it. So Im going to go to tri-c and get my 7 prerequisites out the way and then apply for the program there. They are waaaaaaay waaaaay cheaper than that sanford brown. CoCo by you having a degree you should really think about appplying to tri-c, altman hospital in canton,ohio. Mercy medical hospital in canton and also kent in salem ohio for they ultrasound program. Thats what im going to do when I get these 7 out of the way Im going to apply at all of those places. Someone is going to accept me. sanford is just out of there mind. So im going to get started in january at Tri-c. Write me back and tell me what you think. See ya... I mean write you later. Tonya.

What R the seven pre reqs they require? No wonder SB wont give tuition costs over the phone. They must be out of their minds

Tara in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

All of Tri-C's prereq's are on the website. I too went to college years ago - about 15. I didn't have to take any of Tri-C's entrance tests. I did already have my English but didn't have much math. I did talk them into letting me go straight into the math that is required for the prereq. It was really hard but I did not want to have to end up taking 4 math courses. There are some online alegebra courses out there too which don't require a prereq that would transfer. because I didn't take math for a really long time. I took 6 of my prereqs in one semester but I would never recommend this. It was more than a full time job. I think you probably split the classed among 2 semesters depending on what kind of schedule you have. Have you taken any college course??

Tara in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

Tri -C requires English comp 1, A&P, Physics, Medical Term. , algebra, patient care skills and Intro into Sonography

Tara in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

Gosh , excuse my spelling ! I just got my acceptance letter last week. I won't be in the program until Fall 2010.

Sarah in Warren, Ohio

62 months ago

montana in Northfield, Ohio said: I was horrible in Math and Science in High School which was 20 yrs ago. I want to apply for the Medical Sonography program at Tri C but am afraid I won't pass the admissions tests. Can anyone recommend any good online classes that might help me prep for the tests?

Montana, I don't believe the placement tests are a pass/no pass type of thing. They simply place you in whichever math and english classes that you should start off in. The English placement test was simple. All it was, was proofreading paragraphs. Took me about 20min because I'm a slow reader and I kept going over it a few times checking the grammar. The math took me about 10-15 minutes. I remember it being things like adding fractions and some basic algebra, but nothing massive. If you don't remember math skills very well, you may have a little trouble. The same goes for English grammar. You can also take the placement tests more than once. So, you could get a feeling of what to study, then come back and know what to expect. Even if you get placed in lower classes for each subject, you'll start remembering things as you go and you'll do well and it will really help your GPA to get good grades in them! Though the downside is that it would take you longer to work up to your pre reqs.

Tara, congrats on the acceptance next fall! I overheard someone saying that next fall is completely filled up already, though I'm not sure if that's true.

62 months ago

Thank Sara for your answers. I suck at Math well I did back in the day but I really don't think I applied myself then either. I appreciate your info

Mel in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

Tara in Akron, Ohio said: Gosh , excuse my spelling ! I just got my acceptance letter last week. I won't be in the program until Fall 2010.

Tara...congratulations! There are a 2 or 3 ultrasound classes you can take while waiting to get into the program. If they didn't tell you in the letter, let me know, and I can let you know what they are. I, too, was supposed to start in Fall 2010, but thankfully, I got bumped up to this Fall. What concentration are you doing? I am going into Vascular.

Mel in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

Sarah in Warren, Ohio said:

Tara, congrats on the acceptance next fall! I overheard someone saying that next fall is completely filled up already, though I'm not sure if that's true.

While it is true that the waiting list fills up fast, it is still possible to be moved up sooner, due to other people deciding not to go into Ultrasound after their acceptance or simply that there are more clinical sites available. Don't get discouraged and good luck!

Tara in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

Hi Mel, Congrats! I too am going for vascular. Denise said I am number 3 on the waiting list. When did you finish all your prereqs? It's confussing how they determine who gets in and when. I think they got almost 15 completed files at the end of the spring semester. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Maybe I will see in the fall. Denise said that sometimes people drop out last minute and that she sometimes has to go down to number 6 or 7 on the waiting list. I'm almost 38 so I really dont want to wait another year. I am taking a couple of the classes this fall. I think its the pathology and instruments. I bet you are totaly excited !! I'm jealous :) I am still considering Kent Salem. I have almost all thier prereqs done and if I could start at the same time as tri-c I may choose that route. I could have my bachelors plus its an 18 month program compared to tri-c's 24 month. Of course it is more expensive.

Sara, they probably are close to being full but so much could change. Denise said she go almost 60 completed files at the end of the spring semester for all the specialties. I think many people end up switching majors because they don't want to or can't wait to get in.

Mel in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

Tara in Akron, Ohio said: Hi Mel, Congrats! I too am going for vascular.

Cool! I'll definately see you then, because I am also taking the Instruments and Physics classes this Fall. They are the 235A and 235B courses. I elected to take the Pathology next Fall, because I just had too many classes going on for this Fall. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they get some openings for this Fall so that you can start too. I am like you, I am 37, and I just didn't want to have to wait any longer than I had to. Kent State Salem has a good program too, but they make you take too many LER's. That campus is too far for me to drive. It's bad enough that it takes me 45 minutes to get to Tri-C, but I have been making that drive for the last 4 years, so I am used to it.

I finished my electives at the end of Fall 2008, and I had gotten my letter in Jan 2009 saying that I was starting in Fall 2010. About 4-6 weeks later, I got another letter stating that I had been moved up.

Keep me posted....either way, I'll see you in the Fall!

Sarah in Warren, Ohio

62 months ago

Mel, thanks for the advice. I'm young..only going to be 20 in a month, so I do have years to figure things out..but I'm so anxious and can be really impatient. At the same time, I feel that I'm one of those people who want this more than anything, so I'll definitely stick on a waiting list if that's what I have to do! I imagine there must be a lot of people who drop off the list. When I talked with a counselor right before finals in May..he said that this upcoming fall was only halfway full and that next fall was completely open. But of course that changed after spring semester. I imagine that must have been because people dropped over time. I'm a bit confused at what they mean by acceptance due to clinical space? Though I'm not sure how all of that works. I also live a good 45 minutes or an hour away from campus, but I love the drive, I find it relaxing to drive down the turnpike. Winters suck though!

Tara, I had no idea that they got that many applications in for each! Everyone I talked to or have met seems to be going for vascular. I'm considering it as another option down the line, but I plan on focusing in Ab/OB. I'd have to agree it seems like a lot of people drop. I've talked to quite a few people who just get really discouraged when they have trouble with some of the pre reqs.

Congrats to both of you!

Mel in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

Sarah in Warren, Ohio said: Mel, thanks for the advice.

The program can only accept the number of people in each specialty based on the number of clinical spaces that are open in the hospitals. We start our clinicals in the spring semester, so the program has to know ahead of time, how many spots there are in the clinical sites, before they can know how many students to accept each semester. Keep in mind, this is a very tough program and takes a lot of commitment and dedication. You will feel as if you do nothing but eat, sleep and breathe ultrasound. It's tough and requires a lot of studying. I suspect that is another reason that some people drop out of the program. They don't realize how life changing it is and how it does seem to take over your life. But, it is worth it and will pay off in the end.

It seems that cardiac has the most people. I think in my class start this Fall, there were about 24 for cardiac and about 13-14 for Vascular. I am not sure how many were for Abd/OB. I think about 15-16.
Good luck!

Sarah in Warren, Ohio

62 months ago

Mel, thanks for the info! I thought you were able to choose your clinical sites based on where you live and such? At least, that's what I heard from some people. But, then again, I guess I wouldn't know much since I hear you get the information mainly with your acceptance letter. It's interesting to know that that's how they base it on by giving people spots. I hope that doesn't lower my chances at getting in sooner! haha

I do hear that it is pretty difficult, but I purposely quit my job before I started school so I could focus as much as needed. I feel like all I do now is homework! I can't wait to just get the acceptance letter in the future, wear my scrubs, and start scanning! I'm currently in the patient care class and I'm having so much fun with just this class!

It's good to know that they go by clinical space. I always wondered why they had different amounts of spots for each concentration.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.