Sanford Brown College in Cleveland, OH

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 263)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

mel in Cleveland, Ohio

62 months ago

Tami in Cleveland, Ohio said: I was accepted into the SBC Cleveland's DMS program but opted out for a few reasons: I want to pursue a degree, the cost of the program was unnecessarily high, and there are no ARDMS prerequisites that allow me to sit for the exam immediately upon graduation (not enough clinical experience at graduation time) even though SBC told me otherwise. I did not trust their integrity.

I know nothing about the Radiography program, so I'm of little use there. Just check them out thoroughly. I've heard a few good things about them, so do your homework and don't get blindsighted. Just make sure you'd really be able to sit for a licensing exam upon graduation. That's where they lost me.

I am now getting ready to begin a four-year program for DMS. I am blessed to have a scool nearby that offers it.

Congrats on a four yearmprogram but let me clarify with you that when you graduate fron Sanford Brown you are indeed able to sit for registries. I graduated last friday have taken my physics and PASSED and am sitting for my abdomen in two weeks. I dont know were you got your info from

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mel in Cleveland, Ohio

62 months ago

mel in Cleveland, Ohio said: Congrats on a four yearmprogram but let me clarify with you that when you graduate fron Sanford Brown you are indeed able to sit for registries. I graduated last friday have taken my physics and PASSED and am sitting for my abdomen in two weeks. I dont know were you got your info from[/QUO

I realize that my reply is from a post a long time ago but when I saw it I was steamed. Sorry. Another thing though SBC is now going to be an associates program in January. Another benefit to me in paying the money was that while people are on waiting lists I have finished and am applying for jobs. Good luck finding them though with hireing freezes in effect. Time waiting was income lost so it balanced out. Alos once you are a SBC student you remain one for life. I can go back and audit a class to review for a registry or just go to the lab and practice a skill. I also have instructors that when I graduated encouraged meto come and learn a new modality IE Echo and I dont have to pay for that. Good luck to all of you in your programs seriously as for physics learn it from the begining that is a subject you can not play catch up on or it will haunt you. I hated it but now I love physics.

Mel in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

Sarah in Warren, Ohio said: Mel, thanks for the info! I thought you were able to choose your clinical sites based on where you live and such?

Sarah...they do take into consideration where you live, and they do try to put you in a clinical rotation that is close to where you live. But, as with anything, there may be times where you might have to drive a little ways to your clinical site. Tri-C works with a lot of hospitals, so they are always able to secure plenty of sites for the students at various locations.

DMS students can wear only burgundy or white scrubs. Just as an FYI for when you go to buy yours. At Tri-C, all of the different programs have to wear a different color. That is how they differentiate between us.

That is good that you don't have to work. Right now, I am working full time, but at the end of the year, I am cutting my hours to part time to be able to handle my clinical rotations.

Sarah in Warren, Ohio

62 months ago

Mel, thanks for letting me know. The whole clinical space thing makes more sense now! I'll wait as long as I have to and will go wherever I have to go for this program! I just want this so badly!

My patient care instructor told us about the color of our scrubs. I'm already doing my searching for the burgundy, but not having much luck when it comes to my size! I don't see white anywhere either, but I don't know if I plan on wearing white. I love the burgundy ones!

That's good that you're cutting your hours. I hear the program is a full-time commitment. Are you planning to completely stop working somewhere down the line or just try and see how you do with part time?

It's nice to actually talk to someone who knows more about the program. Talking with the people in my pre reqs is only like knowing whatever we've heard. I'm just so anxious to know whatever I can!

cntrylvr27 in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

Does anyone know what texts are currently being used in the bio 1221 (anatomy & physiology)? I have a coupon for borders & wanted to buy it for next semester if they have it. Thanks!

Mel in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

Sarah in Warren, Ohio said: Mel, thanks for letting me know. The whole clinical space thing makes more sense now! QUOTE]

Sarah...I get most of my scrubs at JC Penney Outlet. They have the cheapest. I, too, plan on wearing the burgundy ones most of the time, but I may get a couple of sets of white ones, just in case. Sometimes, the clinical sites require you to wear white.

I have to at least work part time, because my employer pays for my tuition. I have to stay employed there throughout the entire program. I am thankful that I can cut my hours to part time at the end of the year. I am pretty much looking for a job at the hospital working only on Saturday/Sunday.

62 months ago

Sarah,
I see you are in the patient care skills class. I am taking that in the fall. Is it pretty easy? I was surprised to see it is only 1 credit. Anyway, I'm trying to buy my books for next semester & I have a coupon that expires tomorrow. Can you tell me what you are using for that class?

Sarah in Warren, Ohio

62 months ago

Cntrylvr, sorry it took me a while to get back to you! I've been out all day! I actually am enjoying the patient care skills class. It's pretty much common sense stuff, and you will learn things on top of whatever is common sense. The text I am using is called Nursing Assistant: A Nursing Process Approach. 10th edition. And the authors are Barbara Hegner, Barbara Acello, and Esther Caldwell. It was $100 on campus and actually had seen it on Amazon for much more. The book is a pretty good size as well. I'm also not sure why the class is only one credit, it feels like it should be more cause of the labs. The labs are easy stuff. We are each others patients and we just help transfer each other to beds and wheelchairs. Stuff like that. You'll learn how to do other things, too, but it's nothing that nobody can't handle. You may want to grab a set of the scrubs as well. Our professor told us that we can wear them for the class, because some labs MAY be messy. Nobody has yet, but we haven't done anything messy so far!

Mel, I will definitely have to head out to JC Penney and see what I can find! Thanks for letting me know about how I may need the white scrubs at some point. I'll start looking for a pair of those as well. Definitely just wanted to get a head start on searching for these scrubs, that way when my time comes for the program, I won't be stuck in the position I am now where I just haven't had any luck! It sounds nice that your employer pays your tuition and I'm glad that you can at least cut your hours. I'm sure you'll need all the time you can get to study!

Mel in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

[QUOTE who="Sarah in Warren, Ohio"}]
Mel, I will definitely have to head out to JC Penney and see what I can find! Thanks for letting me know about how I may need the white scrubs at some point. I'll start looking for a pair of those as well. Definitely just wanted to get a head start on searching for these scrubs, that way when my time comes for the program, I won't be stuck in the position I am now where I just haven't had any luck! It sounds nice that your employer pays your tuition and I'm glad that you can at least cut your hours. I'm sure you'll need all the time you can get to study!

Wow...they made you guys get a $100 book for the Patient Care Class? I honestly can't remember which book we had to use (I took the class 3 years ago), but I do know for sure that it was not that much. Yikes! What classes are you taking in the Fall??

Tara in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

cntrylvr27 in Akron, Ohio said: Does anyone know what texts are currently being used in the bio 1221 (anatomy & physiology)? I have a coupon for borders & wanted to buy it for next semester if they have it. Thanks!

Hi A&P 1221 uses Hole's A&P . You have to have both the lab book and lecture book.Borders does not carry this. I have the hard copy -I'll sell it to you for $50 if you want it.(I paid $100 for it) It's in good shape - just minimal highlighting. You will then have to get the lab manual from amazon because you can't resell the lab books. That's where I ordered both my book and lab manual. I think the set is close to $300 at the bookstore - crazy!! I believe that Tri-C only sell the full sets. Let me know if you want my book or if you have any other questions.

montana in Hudson, Ohio

62 months ago

CUTIE in Cleveland, Ohio said: HELLO,
Yes, you can sit for your boards immediately after graduating. SBI is an accredited CAHAPP(sp) college. This means you can sit for boards after graduating. You can also go to the ARDMS website to see all the different criteria to sit for boards. We started with 30 and about 12 of us made it but we all got jobs after graduating. it's a tough program though...Let me know if you need anything else:))

Cutie ... What is so tough about the Program? I am trying to decide between going to Tri C and SB. I am in a position where I wouldn't have to work while going to school however I am 45 yrs old never attended college and am really scared because in Highschool I was horrible at Math. Do you recommend General courses first? Any input would be especially helpful Thanks, Montana

Sarah in Warren, Ohio

62 months ago

Mel in Akron, Ohio said:

Wow...they made you guys get a $100 book for the Patient Care Class? I honestly can't remember which book we had to use (I took the class 3 years ago), but I do know for sure that it was not that much. Yikes! What classes are you taking in the Fall??

Yes they did! However, it's not needed for actual class time. We are just told what to read and read it. We already had one test, and the test wasn't even over anything that we had read. It does actually have lots of information and photos on how to do everything that we are doing in the labs and so much more. It's one of those books that I will keep for the rest of my life because it has so much information in it. I'm sure it will come in handy in the future. I guess they must have switched texts over the years! We only have one homework assignment and it's to write a paper on something patient care related, so I'm not complaining. I'm just having a hard time picking a topic that I like!!

As for the classes that I'm taking in the fall, well, everyone's jaw drops when I tell them, but I'm taking a majority of the pre reqs since they're all concurrent with each other. I'm taking Medical Terminology, A&P, Math 1141, Physics, and the intro class. The counselor actually recommended that I do it that way since I don't have a job and I like to keep busy. Surprisingly, the only class I'm worried about is A&P, and maybe the physics just a little, but I enjoy math! I'm one of those people who can pick up math the second it's explained. The only reason I'm worried about A&P is because I've been told the instructor I'll have for it is pretty tough, but everyone says that I should be able to handle it. I'm going to be at the college 4 days a week and will have a good amount of time between classes, so I'll have some time to get homework done there as well. I'm looking forward to the fall, though! I know it will be tough, but I like being challenged and being kept busy!

Mel in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

montana in Hudson, Ohio said:

Hi Montana. Listen to Cutie. I go to Tri-C and only about 60-70% actually pass the program. It is rigorous and is a full time commitment. I think people have this perception that Ultrasound is just waving a wand over someone's belly and that there is no skill involved. That could not be any further from the truth. You have to know how the machine works and you need to know your physics. There is all kinds of things to consider when scanning such as how to achieve the best image possible, anantomy of the body, and all things relating to the physics of ultrasound such as resolution, pulse and continuous waves, propogation, gain, refraction, etc. That is just the tip of the iceberg. I could go on and on and on. So, no matter where you decide to go, whether it is SBI or Tri-C, just keep in mind that Ultrasound is a tough program and a full time commitment. But, if you are willing to put your life on hold for the next 2 years, it will be worth it. There is a tremendous amount of studying involved, as well as a lot of lab work/hours to complete, and that is even before you start your clinical rotations. It's good that you do not work, because at my orientation, they recommend that you not work at all while you are in the program. There is a lot of sacrafice involved, but it will be worth it in the end. Good Luck!

Mel in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

Sarah in Warren, Ohio said:
I'm taking Medical Terminology, A&P, Math 1141, Physics, and the intro class. The counselor actually recommended that I do it that way since I don't have a job and I like to keep busy. Surprisingly, the only class I'm worried about is A&P, and maybe the physics just a little, but I enjoy math!

Wow...that is a large course load. That's good that you do not work. Who do you have for A/P? I must tell you that Physics was the hardest for me. I had to take it twice. With your large course load, you are going to have a tremendous amount of studying to do, especially just for the Physics class alone. Well...I just like to be honest with people and that is why I am giving you a heads up about some of the classes. I just think that is a lot of specialty classes to cram into one semester and I am questioning the wisdom of your counselor. But, you have a lot of enthusiasm and you don't have to work, so I am keeping my fingers crossed for you! I could never have taken all of those particular classes at one time. Just remember to leave yourself plenty of studying time, especially for the A/P, Physics and Math class. Good luck, and let me know how you do! I'll let you know how my first semester in the program goes.

montana in Hudson, Ohio

62 months ago

Hi Mel,
Thanks so much for your input. I am not so much concerned with the amount of dedication I will need to put towards classes as I am with will I be able to absorb the information taught. Everyone makes Physics sound Horrific. LOL I am seriously considering taking general studies ..math, bio, english before even taking the entrance exams. I for one would never think Sonography or any of the fields in Diagnostic would be just about "rubbing a wand over someones Belly". My main concern is this. I am 45, unlike 20 yr old students who are concerned with saving money , time is money to me. I do not want to wait yrs to get into the Sonography program at Tri C if I can afford to go to Sanford Brown. However, I have taken into consideration everything people on here have been saying and I certainly don't want to pay all that money only to find they are not accredited and I can't find employment and can't sit for testing because I have no clinical experience and so forth. I actually called a few Hospitals in Cleveland and spoke with sonographers who also said I would be better off going to a Community College. Is that because it costs so much or is it because you actually get a better degree? I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions you obviously know what your talking about. Thanks Mel

Sarah in Warren, Ohio

62 months ago

Mel in Akron, Ohio said: Wow...that is a large course load. That's good that you do not work. Who do you have for A/P? I must tell you that Physics was the hardest for me. I had to take it twice. With your large course load, you are going to have a tremendous amount of studying to do, especially just for the Physics class alone. Well...I just like to be honest with people and that is why I am giving you a heads up about some of the classes. I just think that is a lot of specialty classes to cram into one semester and I am questioning the wisdom of your counselor. But, you have a lot of enthusiasm and you don't have to work, so I am keeping my fingers crossed for you! I could never have taken all of those particular classes at one time. Just remember to leave yourself plenty of studying time, especially for the A/P, Physics and Math class. Good luck, and let me know how you do! I'll let you know how my first semester in the program goes.

I have Roxeanne Urvin for A&P. I'm very motivated for school and to be honest, I sit around my house doing nothing all day. I don't know what I'd be doing now if I wasn't taking classes this summer. I'd be completely bored out of my mind. I, too, did question the wisdom of my counselor. This is the one that told me to send in my application early. The only problem is, I do have to be a full time student every fall to stay on my insurance. If I were to drop any one of those classes, I'd be short two credit hours. Thanks for being honest, though. I do appreciate it. I hear the physics is just like a bunch of formulas to memorize, is that correct? And just out of curiosity, what are the bio labs like?

Mel in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

montana in Hudson, Ohio said: Hi Mel,
Thanks so much for your input.

Montana...I think you will do well, no matter which program you decide to pursue. I hope you don't think that I was aiming that remark at you...I was just making a general statement on how some people view ultrasound. They think it is a cake job, and they don't realize how hard the program is. I really think that you should go to Tri-C, but that decision is up to you. At Tri-C, you graduate with an Associate's degree. When I was finished with my pre-req's, I initially had to wait one year to get in, but a spot opened up, so I did not have to wait after all. I know that people who go to SBI have been able to get jobs, but the price for tuition is horrendous. You don't want to pay over $30,000 for a certificate. Tri-C is a fraction of that cost, and you get a degree. Good luck on making your decision and let me know if I can answer any more questions for you.

Mel in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

Sarah in Warren, Ohio said: This is the one that told me to send in my application early. The only problem is, I do have to be a full time student every fall to stay on my insurance. If I were to drop any one of those classes, I'd be short two credit hours. Thanks for being honest, though. I do appreciate it. I hear the physics is just like a bunch of formulas to memorize, is that correct? And just out of curiosity, what are the bio labs like?

Oh, I see. I didn't know you needed a certain amount each semester. While there are a lot of formulas in Physics (and they are tough!), you need to really understand the concepts. It's hard for a lot of people (myself included!) to grasp intangible concepts. But, just keep studying from the first day of class and you should be ok. It's a tough one...I won't lie to you.

I enjoyed the BIO labs. I had a great teacher. Lots and lots of body parts, muscles, bones to memorize. At least, that's how my class was. But, I had taken that class one summer, and we had a small class of about 8 people, so it made it easier for the teacher to give each of us the attention we needed. I think you will like Anatomy. I know that I did.

CUTIE in Cleveland, Ohio

62 months ago

Hello,

Yes im sure the DMS program is tough wherever you attend. I have two children and am married and worked throughout my 18 mos at Sanford Brown. Anything is difficult when you have a family to tend to. But, if you put your mind to it you will be fine... I graduated top of my class and began working 2 weeks after graduating. That was the reason I went to sanford Brown also was because of the two year waiting list at tri c when i wanted to attend. i had to go then and could not wait. the cost was not 30000 when I attended. I beleive it was approx 18000. I have no problems with Sanford and Brown-i always post comments on here when I here people bashing the school. You have to do whatever works for you--but there are many many sanford brown students that work in the major hospitals in cleveland including me. Good Luck:)) Whatever you decide....Any more questions let me know. Sometimes it is good to talk to someone in the field already. The main thing employers want to know is if you can scan and have you passed your boards-not what school did you attend....

Sarah in Warren, Ohio

62 months ago

Mel in Akron, Ohio said: Oh, I see. I didn't know you needed a certain amount each semester. While there are a lot of formulas in Physics (and they are tough!), you need to really understand the concepts. It's hard for a lot of people (myself included!) to grasp intangible concepts. But, just keep studying from the first day of class and you should be ok. It's a tough one...I won't lie to you.

I enjoyed the BIO labs. I had a great teacher. Lots and lots of body parts, muscles, bones to memorize. At least, that's how my class was. But, I had taken that class one summer, and we had a small class of about 8 people, so it made it easier for the teacher to give each of us the attention we needed. I think you will like Anatomy. I know that I did.

Thanks, I will be sure to study hard for that physics class then! I do really enjoy math, especially when it comes to formulas in math, but I don't know how different they will be in physics. I can't imagine it being simple, but it's probably nothing that I can't handle if I study! The biology sounds interesting and glad to hear that you enjoyed it. My lecture is like 48 people and my lab is 24 people, so I won't get as much attention, but I think I'll do fine. I remember learning the bones when I was in 3rd grade and I enjoyed that, as well as I had enjoyed biology in high school.

It does suck that I have to be full time each fall to stay on the insurance, but at the same time, I'm just really anxious to get my pre reqs done and out of the way! You said you didn't get accepted right away for this upcoming fall. Did you happen to miss any sort of meetings since you weren't accepted right away?

Mel in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

Sarah in Warren, Ohio said:
It does suck that I have to be full time each fall to stay on the insurance, but at the same time, I'm just really anxious to get my pre reqs done and out of the way! You said you didn't get accepted right away for this upcoming fall. Did you happen to miss any sort of meetings since you weren't accepted right away?

Hey Sarah. Initially, I was accepted for Fall 2010, but I got bumped up to this Fall. I start in August. I did not miss any meetings. I was accepted before the orientation that took place in May, so I was able to go. It was an all day orientation and they let you know what to expect, went over the program, gave us a tour of the department and had us take some review classes. It was interesting and we got a feel for who we would be going to school with for the next two years.

I don't think you will have a problem. You have the time to invest, and that is the most important part. You are lucky to do this while you are still so young. A lot of us are older with families and jobs, so it is much harder. I do envy the time that you have!

montana in Hudson, Ohio

62 months ago

CUTIE in Cleveland, Ohio said: Hello,

Yes im sure the DMS program is tough wherever you attend. I have two children and am married and worked throughout my 18 mos at Sanford Brown. Anything is difficult when you have a family to tend to. But, if you put your mind to it you will be fine... I graduated top of my class and began working 2 weeks after graduating. That was the reason I went to sanford Brown also was because of the two year waiting list at tri c when i wanted to attend. i had to go then and could not wait. the cost was not 30000 when I attended. I beleive it was approx 18000. I have no problems with Sanford and Brown-i always post comments on here when I here people bashing the school. You have to do whatever works for you--but there are many many sanford brown students that work in the major hospitals in cleveland including me. Good Luck:)) Whatever you decide....Any more questions let me know. Sometimes it is good to talk to someone in the field already. The main thing employers want to know is if you can scan and have you passed your boards-not what school did you attend....

How long ago did you attend SB that it was only 18,000? Thats a Huge difference from the 30,000 everyone else is posting

Mel in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

montana in Hudson, Ohio said: How long ago did you attend SB that it was only 18,000? Thats a Huge difference from the 30,000 everyone else is posting

Montana...there are a lot of SB's that aren't accredited like the one in Cleveland, and I remember hearing people say that those ones were making them take the MA program before they could do the DMS program. Maybe that is why I kept seeing $30,000 come up a lot. I don't know if the Cleveland SB makes people do this. Maybe Cutie can clear this up for you.

montana in Hudson, Ohio

62 months ago

Thanks yet again Mel...Cutie Chime in please. I have no medical background so I wouldn't be opposed to taking the MA if I really needed to however, if thats just their way of making money I don't want to waste my time. I have asked SB for info and noone has contactd me as of yet

cutie in Cleveland, Ohio

62 months ago

HELLO, I GRADUATED ABOUT 6 YEARS AGO. WE WERE THE FIRST CLASS TO FINISH AFTER SANFORD BROWN BECAME ACCREDITED, SO I THINK THEY INCREASED THEIR PRICE AFTER THEY BECAME ACCREDITED. WHICH ALLOWS STUDENTS TO SIT FOR THEIR BOARDS IMMEDIATELY AFTER GRADUATING. BEFORE THEY WERE ACCREDITED I BELIEVE YOU HAD TO WORK 1 YEAR IN A HOSPITAL BEFORE YOU COULD SIT FOR BOARDS. SO OF COURSE AFTER THEY GAINED THE ACCREDIATION THEIR PRICES INCREASED DRASTICALLY.

WHEN I ENROLLED AT SANFORD BROWN THEY SAID THAT YOU HAD TO HAVE 1 YEAR PATIENT CARE EXPERIENCE TO ENROLL IN THE DMS PROGRAM. I WORKED IN A DR'S OFFICE FOR 5 YEARS BEFORE ATTENDING SANFORD BROWN, SO THIS SATISFIED THE REQUIREMENT. I THINK IF YOU HAVE A BACHELORS DEGREE YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE MEDICAL ASSISTING EITHER. I THINK THEY ARE REALLY STRICT WITH THE PT CARE EXPERIENCE NOW....BUT THEY WERE MORE FLEXIBLE BEFORE...

ANY MORE QUESTIONS LET ME KNOW

melanie in Cleveland, Ohio

62 months ago

You dont have to commit to the ma program for sbc All you need are 48 college credits and 6 have to be in science and math. I graduated June 123th and love the program very tight and you are a person to the staff the lab is great and the clinical sites are wonderful. Let me know if you need any more info.

62 months ago

Sarah,
Now I'm concerned about the Patient Care Skills course! I only weigh 95 pounds & not sure I can transfer anyone to & from a wheelchair or bed!

Sarah in Warren, Ohio

62 months ago

Mel, that's interesting to know. I wasn't sure if there was a certain time where they stopped sending out acceptance letters for fall before meetings and such. I do have a friend starting the respitory care program this fall and she brought her mom with her to her orientation. I was thinking the same when my time comes, but it sounds like with the review classes and all it'd be best not to? And you shouldn't be too envious, at least you went back to school and have made it as far as you have! Not many people can/want to do that as they get older.

Cntrylvr, I only weigh 109. I'm pretty weak, but the patient care isn't that bad! It's pretty fun actually! We all help each other out, plus one thing is that you should never lift someone you know you can't without asking for help first. Although we all try our hardest not to help lift ourselves up, we do make it pretty easy on each other. I was also worried about that when we started doing our labs, but now I can honestly say that it's a fun time and you have nothing to worry about. Have you signed up for it and know who your instructor will be yet?

Mel in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

cntrylvr27 in Akron, Ohio said: Sarah,
Now I'm concerned about the Patient Care Skills course! I only weigh 95 pounds & not sure I can transfer anyone to & from a wheelchair or bed!

Hey cntrylvr...listen to Sarah. She is absolutely right. If you feel you cannot move someone, whether in your class or at the clinical site, all you have to do is ask for assistance. Also...one of the things that one of the recent graduates of the program said was that she wished she would have worked on her upper body strength more, because she did not realize how much pushing and pulling there was of the ultrasound machines. So...start working out now, to build up your muscle. I have always worked out on a regular basis, but I have really upped my work outs on my upper body, to prepare for all of the physical work that we have to do. Good luck!

Mel in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

Sarah in Warren, Ohio said: Mel, that's interesting to know. I wasn't sure if there was a certain time where they stopped sending out acceptance letters for fall before meetings and such. I do have a friend starting the respitory care program this fall and she brought her mom with her to her orientation. I was thinking the same when my time comes, but it sounds like with the review classes and all it'd be best not to? And you shouldn't be too envious, at least you went back to school and have made it as far as you have! Not many people can/want to do that as they get older.

Cntrylvr, I only weigh 109. I'm pretty weak, but the patient care isn't that bad! It's pretty fun actually! We all help each other out, plus one thing is that you should never lift someone you know you can't without asking for help first. Although we all try our hardest not to help lift ourselves up, we do make it pretty easy on each other. I was also worried about that when we started doing our labs, but now I can honestly say that it's a fun time and you have nothing to worry about. Have you signed up for it and know who your instructor will be yet?

Thanks Sarah, for the encouragement. That is up to you whether or not you bring your mom, but I will say, it is an all day orientation, from 8:30-4:00, so you may just want to come yourself. They have you doing so many different things and going from room to room.

Also...see my reply to cntrylvr about working out now, before you get into the program. You want to be strong with your lower and upper body strength, because we have a lot of pushing and pulling to do with the ultrasound machines and the patient.

montana in Hudson, Ohio

62 months ago

Thanks cutie. I actually set up an appointment with SB for Wednesday so I will let y'all know. Thanks everyone for your input

montana in Hudson, Ohio

62 months ago

Hey Mel
Well I had an appointment with Sanford Brown yesterday and cancelled it . I politely told her that I would be getting all my Pre Reqs at Tri C because I refuse to pay $14,000 for a Medical Assisting Program when I could get the classes at Tri C for about $4,000. I would have liked to have just met with her and seen the school but when I made the appointment she was pretty pushy about me bringing my W2's from last year and told me to bring $25.00 for the application fee to get started. I told her I wouldn't be signing anything until I went over it with my husband and then that turned into well can't he come with you? Ugh So when I cancelled I told her I wouldn't be contacting her again until I was actually able to start the Sonography program .

Mel in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

montana in Hudson, Ohio said: Hey Mel
Well I had an appointment with Sanford Brown yesterday and cancelled it . I politely told her that I would be getting all my Pre Reqs at Tri C because I refuse to pay $14,000 for a Medical Assisting Program when I could get the classes at Tri C for about $4,000.

Hey Montana. I have heard that same thing from other people about SB. They are pushy and pretty much want you to sign on right away. A lot of people have said that they felt that SB just wants their money. I think there is something suspicious about a school requiring an MA degree before a DMS degree. I think once you start attending Tri-C, you will really like it. I have never had a problem, the people there are always so helpful and it is so much cheaper with a much better reputation. I hope you decide to obtain your DMS degree from Tri-C also. They have a whole new state of the art Health Careers wing and the DMS suite is awesome! I am pretty sure you can apply online to Tri-C with NO APPLICATION FEE. Good luck!

Sarah in Warren, Ohio

62 months ago

Mel, thanks for the info! Due to the lifting I've learned about in patient care so far, I've started to go for walks. Eventually, I'll start working on my arms, but I have to start slow! haha.

Montana, I couldn't help but read your replies. That is crazy about SB! I had considered SB, but had never heard anything until I saw the postings on this forum. I chose Tri-C because I have a friend at the same campus who said she really enjoyed it. Mel is right, everyone there is so laid back and the professors want nothing but to help you. It's wonderful and I couldn't be happier. I always leave the building feeling pretty good about myself and my future. I also got to see the DMS lab rooms...they're amazing! It just seems so comfortable in there and I cannot wait until I get into the program! I think that you will definitely enjoy Tri-C. And you can apply online. That's how I did it. There isn't an application fee. It took me about 2 weeks to get an acceptance letter to the school, but I've had a couple friends who had gotten theirs sooner.

62 months ago

Hey guys! I'm still trying to track down all these books I need next semester.

Tara, does that textbook have an edition or what is the cover like? I've seen a couple different ones online & don't want to get the wrong one. I may end up taking you up on your offer for your used one but I'm not sure yet.

Sarah, the Nursing Assistant book is it a brown cover? I'm seeing some that say "Basics" on the front, too. I think it may just be a workbook that goes along with it from what I'm gathering.

Anyway, any additional information would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Sarah in Warren, Ohio

62 months ago

cntrylvr27 in Akron, Ohio said: Hey guys! I'm still trying to track down all these books I need next semester.

Tara, does that textbook have an edition or what is the cover like? I've seen a couple different ones online & don't want to get the wrong one. I may end up taking you up on your offer for your used one but I'm not sure yet.

Sarah, the Nursing Assistant book is it a brown cover? I'm seeing some that say "Basics" on the front, too. I think it may just be a workbook that goes along with it from what I'm gathering.

Anyway, any additional information would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

It's like a brownish-orange(not all ONE solid color), but definitely does not say basics on it. It's titled the exact way I previously posted. I did see some workbooks when I was hunting for mine as well. Your best bet may be the campus bookstore, amazon, or even half.com. I remember looking online at borders for it and it said it was not sold in the store(I think they may have sold it online but I'm not sure), so it may be hard to hunt down in other stores as well. Good luck. If you have any more questions about the book/class let me know.

62 months ago

Sarah, thank you. I am seeing that you can only order online at borders but I have a 30% coupon so I may do that. I will also look at amazon & half.com. Thanks again!

Tee in Nashville, Tennessee

62 months ago

Cutie in Cleveland and Melanie,

I am starting the DMS program in January @ SBC. I already have a bachelors and I need to get in a program soon. No time to waste, that is why I chose SBC. Its expensive, but hey....I already got loans so I dont let it worry me one bit LOL.

Anyways, how are the teachers? Did the curriculm prepare you for the boards? How were the clinical sites? Do you have any advice for someone starting the program? What can I expect (other than a lot of hard work).

Melanie you said you graduated this June? Did you know a lady named Mary/Lynette in your class?

melanie in Cleveland, Ohio

62 months ago

good luck in the program. What do you have a bachelors degree in? It is my understanding that you may be the first degree based DMS class at SBC. Yes a lot of hard work The teachers are awesome. Dr. A who teaches at Tri-C is wonderful and Kevin is a very intelligent comedian. They have a nack for teaching and making it stick. I loved my clinical site and yes you are very prepared for the ARDMS registry. I did graduate with a Mary W. THere were 11 of us in my class. Let me know if I csn be of any help to you.

62 months ago

melanie in Cleveland, Ohio said: good luck in the program. What do you have a bachelors degree in? It is my understanding that you may be the first degree based DMS class at SBC. Yes a lot of hard work The teachers are awesome. Dr. A who teaches at Tri-C is wonderful and Kevin is a very intelligent comedian. They have a nack for teaching and making it stick. I loved my clinical site and yes you are very prepared for the ARDMS registry. I did graduate with a Mary W. THere were 11 of us in my class. Let me know if I csn be of any help to you.

I have a bahelors degree in Accounting (I know, completely different) but I have had some health problems in the last few years and have had to have several scans done and it kinda sparked an interest to me. Until then, I thought all sonographers did was baby scans...lol....boy was I wrong.

Mary happens to be my oldest sisters best friend. I have known her all my life. It was such a coincidence when I decided to do this that she was already in the program, but I am happy I know someone who has been through it already.

How is the job market for Sonography? Are you finding a lot of openings? What was the hardest classes for you? I am doing some self-studying in Ana&Phys and Med Terminology because I want to be a little ahead of the game since this will be my first time in this kind of field. It is my understanding that they are making the Cardiovascular prgram into an associates (to help get it accredited faster), but i havent heard anything about the DMS program.....what have you heard?

62 months ago

melanie in Cleveland, Ohio said: good luck in the program. What do you have a bachelors degree in? It is my understanding that you may be the first degree based DMS class at SBC. Yes a lot of hard work The teachers are awesome. Dr. A who teaches at Tri-C is wonderful and Kevin is a very intelligent comedian. They have a nack for teaching and making it stick. I loved my clinical site and yes you are very prepared for the ARDMS registry. I did graduate with a Mary W. THere were 11 of us in my class. Let me know if I csn be of any help to you.

Also, can you still go into Echo without actually going through the Echo program? And if the DMS program is going to an associates...is it suppossed to still be 18 months? just curious...sorry 4 all the questions lol

62 months ago

Tara,
I was wondering if your offer for the Anatomy book was still good. I'd like to get it early & get a head start. You had said it had minimal highlighting & you would sell it for $50. Let me know if the offer still stands & if so how you would like to go about it. You can email me at cntrylvr27@aol.com if you prefer. Thanks!

Sarah in Warren, Ohio

62 months ago

cntrylvr27, I assume you're taking A&P for Diag Medical Imaging this fall? I am. Just wondered what day you had signed up for. Sorry if you already mentioned it and I missed it. Just thought it'd be kinda cool if we ended up in the same one!

62 months ago

Sarah in Warren, Ohio said: cntrylvr27, I assume you're taking A&P for Diag Medical Imaging this fall? I am. Just wondered what day you had signed up for. Sorry if you already mentioned it and I missed it. Just thought it'd be kinda cool if we ended up in the same one!

Sarah,
Yeah that would be cool! When are you taking it? I am signed up for Saturday mornings. I work full time so that was the best option for me. I am also taking the Patient Care Skills class on Monday evenings.

Sarah in Warren, Ohio

62 months ago

cntrylvr27 in Akron, Ohio said: Sarah,
Yeah that would be cool! When are you taking it? I am signed up for Saturday mornings. I work full time so that was the best option for me. I am also taking the Patient Care Skills class on Monday evenings.

I had almost signed up for Saturday mornings but decided to take it T/Th because I felt like 2 days a week may be better than one. Just to keep me going, ya know? I'm going to be up there M-Th for classes. Are you taking any other classes this fall?

Just to help you out, cause I know you've been asking what books you need for classes..Tri-C has a link on it's site that will tell you. Not every class is posted. Sign into your Tri-C space, click on the My Blackboard tab. At the bottom right of the screen there is a box called Resources. There is a link to click on called Online Book Ordering. You do not have to order books online, but you can search books you need by your class. You'd choose your campus, class, the class CRN, and then the books should come up that you may need. They don't have them posted for fall yet from what I see. So, you'd have to wait until they're posted, but if you check every now and then, you'll see eventually. They don't have every class either, but it's always worth a shot. There is no actual link or anything now to check out books online, so don't be confused if you try it yet. It would be right there when you click on Online Book Ordering.

62 months ago

Sarah in Warren, Ohio said: I had almost signed up for Saturday mornings but decided to take it T/Th because I felt like 2 days a week may be better than one. Just to keep me going, ya know? I'm going to be up there M-Th for classes. Are you taking any other classes this fall?

Just to help you out, cause I know you've been asking what books you need for classes..Tri-C has a link on it's site that will tell you. Not every class is posted. Sign into your Tri-C space, click on the My Blackboard tab. At the bottom right of the screen there is a box called Resources. There is a link to click on called Online Book Ordering. You do not have to order books online, but you can search books you need by your class. You'd choose your campus, class, the class CRN, and then the books should come up that you may need. They don't have them posted for fall yet from what I see. So, you'd have to wait until they're posted, but if you check every now and then, you'll see eventually. They don't have every class either, but it's always worth a shot. There is no actual link or anything now to check out books online, so don't be confused if you try it yet. It would be right there when you click on Online Book Ordering.

Sarah,
Thanks for the advice on finding out what books I need for the courses. I will definitely check that out. Two days a week probably would be better I just can't swing it. Unfortunately, I have to keep the whole going to school thing a secret from my employer or I would most likely be fired. So until I get into the program & go full time I have to keep things as simple as possible. Like I said, I will also be on campus Monday evenings for the Patient Skills Class. Maybe we will bump into each other some day or have a study session for anatomy sometime.

camjjmj in Alpharetta, Georgia

61 months ago

Mel in Akron, Ohio said: Hello everyone. I have a question about Sanford Brown...the one closest to me, in Cleveland, comes up as an accredited site on the CAAHEP and ARDMS sites. They are also starting up an AAS degree for Radiography. It seems to me...that maybe not all Sanford Browns are created equal, nor are all of them accredited. Would this be a good school to consider, since they do seem to have all of the proper accredidation for their programs? They are also switching from Sanford Brown Institute to Sanford Brown College, since the addition of their Associate of Applied Science in Radiography degree. Is there anyone who has attened this particular SB, and could give me some info on the school and their success in finding a job after graduation? I would very much appreciate any feedback.

They should have their accredadation posted. If they have it they will make a point to show it to you during the tour. It is a pretty big deal to have it. If they don't show it to you it should be a red flag. Ask if it is not offered up to you. If they don't have it - run for hte hills. Other wise you will be wasting time and money only to find you can't get a job when you get out.

CUTIE in Cleveland, Ohio

61 months ago

Hello Mel,

Yes the sbc in cleveland is an accredited school. I believe they obtained they accreditation in 2005. I was enrolled in sbc at the time when this process was going on. It was a very extensive evaluation. I feel that the school is ok. I obtained a job 2 weeks after graduating. Any more questions just let me know.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Anja

61 months ago

CUTIE in Cleveland, Ohio said: Hello Mel,

Yes the sbc in cleveland is an accredited school. I believe they obtained they accreditation in 2005. I was enrolled in sbc at the time when this process was going on. It was a very extensive evaluation. I feel that the school is ok. I obtained a job 2 weeks after graduating. Any more questions just let me know.

Dear Cutie,
I have followed your correspondance about the Sanford-Brown Ultrasound program and really appreciate your posts.
I had an interview at the Milwaukee, WI school back in Nov. 2008, they were just about to start their first DMS program. The counselor was very attentive, knowledgable, friendly and not very pushy. Of course I was very put off by the cost; $36,000. I already have a B.S. in Biology, and passed the "entrance exam" easily and would not need to enroll in the M.A. class first.
I really want to make one last career change, and think that sonography would be just about perfect for me, but I am pretty old, (55) so I can't waste time on waiting lists at the other 3 programs in the area, (they are a fraction of the price, however). I hope that you don't mind if I ask you a couple of questions; Did you actually attend classes just in the evening? And of course the most important one, did you feel as though the clinic that hired you didn't mind that you studied at SB instead of a more traditional school? Perhaps I should call some of the hospitals around here to see how they feel about SB, and yet I hate to bother people on the phone if they are busy at work.
Thanks again for your valuable info.
Anja

CUTIE in Cleveland, Ohio

61 months ago

Anja,

Hello. Yes, I attended the school in the evenings. I believe it was 6p-10p m-th. If I can recall Fridays was mornings in the beginning then it was clinical days as you get farther along in the program. They may have changed it though. I would say employers are most interested if you can scan and are more importantly registered. Although some employers frown upon sbc because it used to have a bad reputation. The major hospitals in cleveland are hiring sbc students. We have proven that we can pass our registry and that we are knowledgebale in scanning. The hospital I work at now has 4 out of 6 techs that have attended SBC. The previous hospital I worked at was a larger hospital and I would say that 1/3 of the techs attended SBC. Any more questions let me know:))

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.