Sonography jobs in NJ?

Comments (14)

ClaraMass in Pompton Lakes, New Jersey

49 months ago

I am waiting/hoping to get into Bergen Community sonography program for Sept 2011. Can anyone tell me how bad/good the job market is out there? Is it just the economy or is it really difficult for new graduates to find a job?
Thanks!

Ross Taylor in Gatineau, Quebec

49 months ago

Hello
There are jobs, as I have mentioned this numerous times over at Indeed to many other members. If you want to get into the career of sonographer then you should be willing to move. You cannot possibly select on City and find a job unless you are super lucky. The best way to find a good paid job or just a job is to have various available options. And one of them being, not restricting yourself to one area.

I know people from NY that moved to LA for the job this is how things are currently if you don't like it then look for something else.

my 2 cents but something that will help you in long run.

kind regards
Ross Taylor
www.ultrasound-technician.net/

49 months ago

Ok thanks. I guess then that means to me that there really aren't any. How many people can just get up and relocate?
Thanks anyway!!

Elyse in Pennington, New Jersey

49 months ago

Hey ClaraMass...I too am from NJ (I live outside of Trenton)and looking into NJ sonography programs. I have recently obtained my BS from Rutgers this past January,but for over a year I have been researching radiography/radiation therapy programs. My mom was a former radiation therapist and she always loved her work, but rad techs and therapist jobs are nonexistent. A good friend of hers (who use to work in xray with my mom), is now a supervisor of a radiology department. She advised me to not even consider xray and seek ultrasound since jobs are available. She recommended UMDNJ's Diagnostic Medical Sonography program which earns you a Bachelors of Science in Allied Health Technologies...this is great news for me since I already have a bachelors, I can complete the program FT in 15 months. If you don't have a bachelors, you can earn a certificate after you finish the prereq classes (AP I & II, Physics, English, etc) at your local community college. The campus is in Scotch Plains, you pay instate tuition for respectable university, and the program probably offers better clinical sites with more options than Bergen County. Downside it's more competitive and expensive, but the expenses will pay off in the end.

I would have to agree with Ross-even though you have the advantage of being close to NYC you should keep your options open. From my mom's experience, she worked throughout Pennsylvania but eventually got up and moved to Missouri and then to California. She could have stayed in one spot, but she wouldn't have moved up the ladder or received a great pay increase. Remember, you go where the jobs are (especially in this economy) so if they offer you a FT job in Iowa you take it and are thankful for it. And MANY people relocate...come on, we live in New Jersey where so many people have relocated from Central & South America, Europe, and Asia and everything in between! Good luck to you and your studies and I hope the best for you!

49 months ago

Well I just found out I got into Bergen's program! UMDNJ's program was too far for me. I understand that currently our economy is still not great (which is effecting healthcare jobs), but I'm married with a family and I don't think its too crazy for me to expect to get a job in the state I'm living in. Well thanks for the input! Good luck with UMDNJ.

echo in Mobile, Alabama

49 months ago

ClaraMass in Pompton Lakes, New Jersey said: Well I just found out I got into Bergen's program! UMDNJ's program was too far for me. I understand that currently our economy is still not great (which is effecting healthcare jobs), but I'm married with a family and I don't think its too crazy for me to expect to get a job in the state I'm living in. Well thanks for the input! Good luck with UMDNJ.

Clara,

Have you considered an online ultrasound program? This might be a better option for you as the didactic work is completed online and the 2 required scan labs are compelted in a location convenient to student. The first scan lab is compelted before clinical rotation and the 2nd is scheduled after clinical rotation begins.

This is just another option you may want to explore.

www.academyofultrasound.com
www.academyofultrasound.com/blog/

Jennifer Durst in Prairie Village, Kansas

49 months ago

Ross,

I noticed that you were from Quebec and wanted to see if you could help me out with a few questions or maybe know someone I can contact. I just graduated from the accredited cardiac sonography program at KUMC. I am wanting to relocate to Montreal and wondering how the job market is there. i am beginning to learn French and after countless hours of talking with immigration they said the best route would be to get a job offer. Are there companies willing to hire outside the US for these types of jobs? I have already taken the physics portion for ARDMS registration and will take the adult echo portion in a couple of weeks. If you can tell me anything about cardiac sonography over in Quebec I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Jenn

Sonia in Woodside, New York

48 months ago

The job market in the NYC and northern NJ area is over saturated. You can find some per diem but they want 2 years or more experience, expect you to know everything and there is a lot of competition for those jobs. I live in New York and I have 2 per diems. One in NY and one in CT. So please think really hard about getting into this field.

Erica U in Orange, New Jersey

47 months ago

ClaraMass in Pompton Lakes, New Jersey said: Well I just found out I got into Bergen's program! UMDNJ's program was too far for me. I understand that currently our economy is still not great (which is effecting healthcare jobs), but I'm married with a family and I don't think its too crazy for me to expect to get a job in the state I'm living in. Well thanks for the input! Good luck with UMDNJ.

Hi there and congratulations on being accepted into Bergen's DMS program. I am going into my second year of the program so if you have any questions, feel free to email me at qtpyinnj@aol.com. I will try my best to answer any questions or concerns you may have.

By the way, I just finished a 6 week clinical rotation at Clara Maass Medical Center in Belleville. To ther person who mentioned UMDNJ probably had better clinical sites then Bergen is mistaken. The two schools actually are among the top accredited DMS programs on the east coast and both utilize the best teaching hospitals in the state respective to each county. So again, any questions, just ask. Enjoy the rest of your summer

Erica

julia in Fort Lee, New Jersey

42 months ago

Hi Erica & ClaraMass
i like to apply Bergen's DMS programs next year.
Do you know how many students apply for per year? I am an older adult so like to make sure how strong competition is.

Thank you!

42 months ago

They told me 200 applied and they accepted 15-20 students. If you have close to a 4.0 and do REALLY well on the entrance exam, you should be fine. They seem to put alot of weight on the HESI exam. I was accepted into the program but decided not to go. Since I was accepted I felt I would finally get some answers on the job market. So in the NJ area there are no jobs. In the last years class, out of 15 students only 2 got jobs a year later. So unless you are able to relocate, it just doesn't make sense to me. I also called local hospitals and imaging centers to see how many techs they hire a year. Most of them said they hadn't in years. But who knows with the economy!

qtpyinnj@aol.com in East Orange, New Jersey

42 months ago

julia in Fort Lee, New Jersey said: Hi Erica & ClaraMass
i like to apply Bergen's DMS programs next year.
Do you know how many students apply for per year? I am an older adult so like to make sure how strong competition is.

Thank you!

Hi Julia,

Contact me directly at qtpyinnj@aol.com.

Rapid Access Med Diagnostics in Bohemia, New York

36 months ago

Aggressively looking for Full body(echo/vascular/general) ultrasound techs to join a physician owned mobile diagnostic company in New Jersey. Please email resumes to rapidaccessmed@optonline.net

heeeeeey in Perth Amboy, New Jersey

35 months ago

Currently a student at UMDNJ for DMS and a great deal of the class that has just graduated in december has gotten jobs already...it totally depends on flexability and like most jobs you need to work your way up...some places you start per diem and then they decide to take you full time...it also depends greatly on not only your school and education but if you are actually knowledgle and able to scan...it is competitive but if you excel at what you do...it is possible to find a job.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.