Thinking about ultrasound tech or sonorgrapher

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (20)

Stacy Randolph in troy, Illinois

62 months ago

I was thinking about going to school for ultrasound tech or sonographer. what is better and pays more? Also if anyone could tell me the kind of classes I would have to take or be good at? I have been out of school for years. Also any info on this would be great. Thanks:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Mel in Akron, Ohio

62 months ago

Although...I wouldn't use the term "ultrasound tech". It is correct to call them Sonographers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Mel in Akron, Ohio said: Ultrasound tech/Sonographer are the same thing. You have to take Math/Physics/Anatomy/Patient Care..things like that. Lots of clinical rotations and lots and lots of studying. Pretty much...you have to dig in, work hard, and devote two years of your life to whatever Ultrasound program you get into. There are waiting lists for most programs. Make sure whatever program you chose is CAAHEP accredited. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!

I have been hearing that I should not go to school to do this because now it is hard to find a job. I was thinking maybe a physical therapist or dental hygienist. I can not decide. I am not that good at math. I know I have to do something. Any advice would be helpful. Thank You!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mel in Akron, Ohio

61 months ago

Stacy Randolph in troy, Illinois said: I have been hearing that I should not go to school to do this because now it is hard to find a job. I was thinking maybe a physical therapist or dental hygienist. I can not decide. I am not that good at math. I know I have to do something. Any advice would be helpful. Thank You!

Dental Hygienists make VERY good money. I would recommend that one. Dental Hygiene was my second choice after Ultrasound. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

Well I was just looking up Dental Hygiene and everyone is saying that DH is over crowded now. I can not decide. I am stuck. I just want something in medical or dental that I am always going to have a job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mel in Akron, Ohio

61 months ago

Stacy Randolph in troy, Illinois said: Well I was just looking up Dental Hygiene and everyone is saying that DH is over crowded now. I can not decide. I am stuck. I just want something in medical or dental that I am always going to have a job.

Are they saying that the programs are over crowded or the job market? There are ebbs and flows in every job. I would just pick one that you think is interesting and go with it. No matter which one you decide on, it will pay off in the end.

61 months ago

Does anyone know of good paying jobs that are only take 2 years to finish the school and if they aren't that hard to complete the school. I heard sonographer school is very hard so I am looking into other things.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Roswell, Georgia

60 months ago

Stacy Randolph in troy, Illinois said: Does anyone know of good paying jobs that are only take 2 years to finish the school and if they aren't that hard to complete the school. I heard sonographer school is very hard so I am looking into other things.

I 2nd this Stacy. I have a BA already in computer graphics design but want to go into the health field. I am still young, no children yet and feel that this is the best opportunity for me to get back to school. I wouldn't want to warm up a seat for another 3-4 years. You are saying that Sonographer schools are hard? That is funny b/c it doesn't seem like they do much in the hospital.

Does anyone know of any good school in GA other than the Institute of Medical Ultrasnd...This school is too expensive and I have not heard of anything good about Sandford Brown. Any good and cheap schools in GA that offers this program accredited? This question is open to all...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Lily in Zanesville, Ohio

59 months ago

anonymous in Roswell, Georgia said: You are saying that Sonographer schools are hard? That is funny b/c it doesn't seem like they do much in the hospital.

Excuse me? We do a lot of work and have to know even more. Sonography is an extremely demanding field, both physically and mentally.

Before you decide to go into a job, I recommend that you shadow for a while and see what we really do. If you think you can coast by in school and that you'll be getting a job where you don't do much, you'll have a rude awakening when you get out into the field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mel in Akron, Ohio

59 months ago

Lily in Zanesville, Ohio said: Excuse me? We do a lot of work and have to know even more. Sonography is an extremely demanding field, both physically and mentally.

Before you decide to go into a job, I recommend that you shadow for a while and see what we really do. If you think you can coast by in school and that you'll be getting a job where you don't do much, you'll have a rude awakening when you get out into the field.

I compeletly agree Lily. People are so ignorant about what we do and they have no idea how hard the program really is.

If you'll notice, this person did not even have the gonads to put their name on their posting. Seems like it is probably just some stupid teenager with too much time on their hands.

Are you already out in the field or are you in school? I just started the Vascular Sonography program this Fall. It's really tough and a lot of work, but I love it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

mia in Arlington, Virginia

40 months ago

I am current looking into becoming a sonographer, however i was never really good at physics or math in high school. So i am really concerned that it will be hard for me. How good do you have to be in these subjects to actually become one?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

healthscience in Stockton, California

30 months ago

I would like to go back to school and get into the Sonography program. But before I proceed, I would like to know if finding a job in this are is hard? The degree I have right now, is a BS in applied math, which is pretty useless and hard to find a career in. Is it difficult to find an Ultrasound technician job? When applying for the job, do they care a lot about your g.p.a?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

chad in Vidor, Texas

12 months ago

Does anybody know anybody looking for a full time registered echo tech(RCS) with 5 yes experience? Willing to travel anywhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Phil in Deltona, Florida

9 months ago

Stay away from ultrasound schools!!! Schools are popping up all over for ultrasound and x-ray. They are not screening students prior to admission. The only qualification to get in ultrasound or x-ray school anymore is the ability to qualify for a Pell grant. Schools are making big money in this manor and students are graduating unable to find employment. Search ultrasound in almost any city. all you will find is per diem or prn positions. These are part time posiitons getting hours on an as needed basis, as needed by the employer, not the employee.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

larry in Chicago, Illinois

7 months ago

It's not really like that. There are lots of great ultrasound technician schools, like Keiser University in Florida

Larry from www.ultrasoundtechniciansalarys.com/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Elina in Buffalo Grove, Illinois

6 months ago

I am on my way to get in to the ultrasound thech. program in college (Harper College). The program is creditable. However, I heard from people that finding a job after graduation that program is very hard. Is it true? If yeas, what shoul I do to make a finding job easier (maybe take some other additional classes or other programs that will help me with that?)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

huh in Harrisonburg, Virginia

6 months ago

There are jibs out there, but you must be willing to completely relocate.

Elina in Buffalo Grove, Illinois

6 months ago

huh in Harrisonburg, Virginia said: There are jibs out there, but you must be willing to completely relocate.

In my case relocation might be not so easy. However, I am very appreciate that you answered me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

huh in Harrisonburg, Virginia

6 months ago

I actually used to work at a hospital in Illinois,also California. I'm from florida. My first job was in northern California...... so when I mean relocate I mean RELOCATE!!! Even if you have experience and your registry. Its all prn and part time gigs right know. Its tough in all the job markets. I just moved here about 3 months ago, things are good. I hope some other company doesn't take over and start laying people off to save a few pennies.

Elina in Wheeling, Illinois

6 months ago

huh in Harrisonburg, Virginia said: I actually used to work at a hospital in Illinois,also California. I'm from florida. My first job was in northern California...... so when I mean relocate I mean RELOCATE!!! Even if you have experience and your registry. Its all prn and part time gigs right know. Its tough in all the job markets. I just moved here about 3 months ago, things are good. I hope some other company doesn't take over and start laying people off to save a few pennies.

Good luck. Hoping when I will graduate I will find here something. Do you know any additional classes that can help me in the future?

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.