Thinking about ultrasound tech or sonorgrapher

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (28)

stacyrandolph in troy, Illinois

99 months ago

I was thinking about going to school for ultrasound tech or sonographer. what is better and pays more? Also if anyone could tell me the kind of classes I would have to take or be good at? I have been out of school for years. Also any info on this would be great. Thanks:)

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

stacyrandolph in troy, Illinois

99 months ago

Mel in Akron, Ohio said: Ultrasound tech/Sonographer are the same thing. You have to take Math/Physics/Anatomy/Patient Care..things like that. Lots of clinical rotations and lots and lots of studying. Pretty much...you have to dig in, work hard, and devote two years of your life to whatever Ultrasound program you get into. There are waiting lists for most programs. Make sure whatever program you chose is CAAHEP accredited. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions!

I have been hearing that I should not go to school to do this because now it is hard to find a job. I was thinking maybe a physical therapist or dental hygienist. I can not decide. I am not that good at math. I know I have to do something. Any advice would be helpful. Thank You!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

stacyrandolph in troy, Illinois

99 months ago

Well I was just looking up Dental Hygiene and everyone is saying that DH is over crowded now. I can not decide. I am stuck. I just want something in medical or dental that I am always going to have a job.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Mel in Akron, Ohio

99 months ago

Stacy Randolph in troy, Illinois said: Well I was just looking up Dental Hygiene and everyone is saying that DH is over crowded now. I can not decide. I am stuck. I just want something in medical or dental that I am always going to have a job.

Are they saying that the programs are over crowded or the job market? There are ebbs and flows in every job. I would just pick one that you think is interesting and go with it. No matter which one you decide on, it will pay off in the end.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

stacyrandolph in troy, Illinois

99 months ago

Does anyone know of good paying jobs that are only take 2 years to finish the school and if they aren't that hard to complete the school. I heard sonographer school is very hard so I am looking into other things.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

anonymous in Roswell, Georgia

98 months ago

Stacy Randolph in troy, Illinois said: Does anyone know of good paying jobs that are only take 2 years to finish the school and if they aren't that hard to complete the school. I heard sonographer school is very hard so I am looking into other things.

I 2nd this Stacy. I have a BA already in computer graphics design but want to go into the health field. I am still young, no children yet and feel that this is the best opportunity for me to get back to school. I wouldn't want to warm up a seat for another 3-4 years. You are saying that Sonographer schools are hard? That is funny b/c it doesn't seem like they do much in the hospital.

Does anyone know of any good school in GA other than the Institute of Medical Ultrasnd...This school is too expensive and I have not heard of anything good about Sandford Brown. Any good and cheap schools in GA that offers this program accredited? This question is open to all...

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

mia in Arlington, Virginia

78 months ago

I am current looking into becoming a sonographer, however i was never really good at physics or math in high school. So i am really concerned that it will be hard for me. How good do you have to be in these subjects to actually become one?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

healthscience in Stockton, California

68 months ago

I would like to go back to school and get into the Sonography program. But before I proceed, I would like to know if finding a job in this are is hard? The degree I have right now, is a BS in applied math, which is pretty useless and hard to find a career in. Is it difficult to find an Ultrasound technician job? When applying for the job, do they care a lot about your g.p.a?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

chad in Vidor, Texas

49 months ago

Does anybody know anybody looking for a full time registered echo tech(RCS) with 5 yes experience? Willing to travel anywhere.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Phil in Deltona, Florida

47 months ago

Stay away from ultrasound schools!!! Schools are popping up all over for ultrasound and x-ray. They are not screening students prior to admission. The only qualification to get in ultrasound or x-ray school anymore is the ability to qualify for a Pell grant. Schools are making big money in this manor and students are graduating unable to find employment. Search ultrasound in almost any city. all you will find is per diem or prn positions. These are part time posiitons getting hours on an as needed basis, as needed by the employer, not the employee.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

larry in Chicago, Illinois

45 months ago

It's not really like that. There are lots of great ultrasound technician schools, like Keiser University in Florida

Larry from www.ultrasoundtechniciansalarys.com/

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Elina in Buffalo Grove, Illinois

44 months ago

I am on my way to get in to the ultrasound thech. program in college (Harper College). The program is creditable. However, I heard from people that finding a job after graduation that program is very hard. Is it true? If yeas, what shoul I do to make a finding job easier (maybe take some other additional classes or other programs that will help me with that?)

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Elina in Buffalo Grove, Illinois

44 months ago

huh in Harrisonburg, Virginia said: There are jibs out there, but you must be willing to completely relocate.

In my case relocation might be not so easy. However, I am very appreciate that you answered me.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

huh in Harrisonburg, Virginia

44 months ago

I actually used to work at a hospital in Illinois,also California. I'm from florida. My first job was in northern California...... so when I mean relocate I mean RELOCATE!!! Even if you have experience and your registry. Its all prn and part time gigs right know. Its tough in all the job markets. I just moved here about 3 months ago, things are good. I hope some other company doesn't take over and start laying people off to save a few pennies.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Elina in Wheeling, Illinois

44 months ago

huh in Harrisonburg, Virginia said: I actually used to work at a hospital in Illinois,also California. I'm from florida. My first job was in northern California...... so when I mean relocate I mean RELOCATE!!! Even if you have experience and your registry. Its all prn and part time gigs right know. Its tough in all the job markets. I just moved here about 3 months ago, things are good. I hope some other company doesn't take over and start laying people off to save a few pennies.

Good luck. Hoping when I will graduate I will find here something. Do you know any additional classes that can help me in the future?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Chanelle in Pompano Beach, Florida

30 months ago

mia in Arlington, Virginia said: I am current looking into becoming a sonographer, however i was never really good at physics or math in high school. So i am really concerned that it will be hard for me. How good do you have to be in these subjects to actually become one?

There's a video on YouTube. Two minutes long, answers your question perfectly.
I'm case I didn't post the link properly the shorter answer is "Not really" You just need basic skills. You are required to pass college algebra in order to get into the program. Getting in I hear is very competitive.
Do I have to be good at math to become an ultrasound technician?: youtu.be/5ERF3ho1UXo

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

NHS0782 in Portland, Oregon

27 months ago

Chanelle in Pompano Beach, Florida said: There's a video on YouTube. Two minutes long, answers your question perfectly.
I'm case I didn't post the link properly the shorter answer is "Not really" You just need basic skills. You are required to pass college algebra in order to get into the program. Getting in I hear is very competitive.
Do I have to be good at math to become an ultrasound technician?: youtu.be/5ERF3ho1UXo

Hi everyone. I was a cardiologist and cardiac sonographer outside US. I'm planning to take ARDMS SPI and AE exams. Can anybody tell me please, do I need only ARDMS registered sonographer's letter and CV and how can I find a sponsoring sonographer if there wasn't any ARDMS registered sonographer in my country? I really need an advice. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Andrew Zinovyev in Germany

27 months ago

In case you need ultrasound scanner, sonographer or any other medical equipment
visit Bimedis.com (Medical Equipment Marketplace).
Best regards!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Rano in Calgary, Alberta

25 months ago

Lily in Zanesville, Ohio said: Excuse me? We do a lot of work and have to know even more. Sonography is an extremely demanding field, both physically and mentally.

Before you decide to go into a job, I recommend that you shadow for a while and see what we really do. If you think you can coast by in school and that you'll be getting a job where you don't do much, you'll have a rude awakening when you get out into the field.

Hi Lily, I am interested in becoming an ultrasound technician and plan on applying for the program next fall. I am currently upgrading my math and physics (and I have never taken physics in high school before), but I feel like I struggle most with these subjects (although I am not terrible at them). Would I be able to succeed in this program, do you think, if I am not that great with math and physics? Again, I haven't actually started the physics course yet so I'm not 100% sure if I'll suck so bad at it, but you get the idea :) I really want to do this as a career, but I am so stressed out that even if i have the grades to get into it, I wouldn't be able to stay in it because of the math! Is this true? What kind of work do you have to do in the program? I am ready and willing to work hard and try my best to succeed, but I want to make sure I know what I am getting into first. Thank you so much!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Karry in Massachusetts

25 months ago

Rano in Calgary, Alberta said: Hi Lily, I am interested in becoming an ultrasound technician and plan on applying for the program next fall. I am currently upgrading my math and physics (and I have never taken physics in high school before), but I feel like I struggle most with these subjects (although I am not terrible at them). Would I be able to succeed in this program, do you think, if I am not that great with math and physics? Again, I haven't actually started the physics course yet so I'm not 100% sure if I'll suck so bad at it, but you get the idea :) I really want to do this as a career, but I am so stressed out that even if i have the grades to get into it, I wouldn't be able to stay in it because of the math! Is this true? What kind of work do you have to do in the program? I am ready and willing to work hard and try my best to succeed, but I want to make sure I know what I am getting into first. Thank you so much!

What kind of math and physics. I looked at two schools, one was algebra ( easy and I've never gottend As in math) other school was very lame basic math. For physics one school wanted college physics and I got a D. I was pregnant and didn't try hard, later other school was beginning physucs and pretty easy with algebra equations. Now I'm a sonograpgher and don't do either. To be a registered sonograpghers you must pass a physucs exam And it was hard but if I can do it, you can too! Takes dedication and study!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Karry in Massachusetts

25 months ago

Sorry phone cannot spell PHYSICS

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Rano in Calgary, Alberta

25 months ago

Karry in Massachusetts said: Sorry phone cannot spell PHYSICS

Thanks for your reply! The requirements for the 3 year program is Biology 30, Physics 30, Math 30-1, and English 30-1. I don't know if the requirements or even the program itself is the same for me as it was for you, but how much would you say you actually used math or physics during the program?? And how do you like being a sonographer? What kind of things do you have to do on the job? Again thank you so much for your time!!

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Karry in Massachusetts

25 months ago

Rano in Calgary, Alberta said: Thanks for your reply! The requirements for the 3 year program is Biology 30, Physics 30, Math 30-1, and English 30-1. I don't know if the requirements or even the program itself is the same for me as it was for you, but how much would you say you actually used math or physics during the program?? And how do you like being a sonographer? What kind of things do you have to do on the job? Again thank you so much for your time!!

It really depends in your teacher. We did minor equations, converting mm to cm and such. The ultrasound physucs is more of how machine works. You need to know things like resolution, how to increase/ decrease your picture to make it better. When you turn on color doppler your frame rate will slow. Honestly my required physucs had nothing to do with ultrasound physics. Sucks but that's how it was for me. I love my job, lots of abdomen, OBGYN and vascular studies. Look on YouTube and ultrasound exams. It's tiring but so rewarding at same time.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Alex in Elizabeth, New Jersey

22 months ago

Hello, do you mind if I email you? thank you

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Rano in Calgary, Alberta

22 months ago

Sure, please do

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Alex in Elizabeth, New Jersey

22 months ago

thank you.. what your email?

- Was this comment helpful?
Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Alex in Elizabeth, New Jersey

22 months ago

thank you, what's your email?

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

allie in Markham, Ontario

17 months ago

stacyrandolph in troy, Illinois said: I was thinking about going to school for ultrasound tech or sonographer. what is better and pays more? Also if anyone could tell me the kind of classes I would have to take or be good at? I have been out of school for years. Also any info on this would be great. Thanks:)

ultrasound and sonography are the same thing

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.