Trade Schools harder to find employment?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Justin in Hacienda Heights, California

29 months ago

I am considering going to Platt College in California for DMS, however I hear that it is harder to find a job if you get your degree from a trade school. The school is accredited by the CAAHEP and I also already have my bachelors degree so I can take the ARDMS exam so I am considering this school. Is it worth the tuition cost to go (40k+)?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ben in Cerritos, California

29 months ago

Justin, have you already gone in for an interview at Platt College? I am considering doing the exact same thing, and I don't think the tuition is 40K+, should be cheaper. I was wary of the college myself but it is CAAHEP accredited and was featured on a website in the top 5 DMS programs in California, so it doesn't sound too bad. What do you have your Bachelor's Degree in?

If anybody has any information on this school or has experience with hiring DMS graduates, could you please clarify how you judge schools, and if a Bachelors Degree in a related subject along with a A.A. in Sonography is an advantage?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

29 months ago

Thanks for the heads up guest on the Cal Grant tip. Fortunately I have good savings and will not need to take a loan for the entire program. It may be a trade school but it is CAAHEP accredited, and you can take the ARDMS immediately upon completion. No year of (near impossible to obtain) uncertified work as with unaccredited programs.

I was browsing around, and there does seem to be jobs in California for this field. Of course you will never be hired without an ARDMS credential. In addition to a Bachelor of Science degree in Physiology for a good University, and an Associates provided by this program, I think I will be a rather strong candidate in the job market.

If you don't mind me asking, but what do you do/what is your evidence for saying that these new graduates can't find jobs. Do they all have ARDMS certification? Are you a sonographer, work at a clinic, etc? I don't doubt you just wondering your point of view, and where your coming from. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Justin in Whittier, California

29 months ago

Hey Ben,

I have not gone in for an interview yet at Platt College, but I am scheduled for one in July. I was hoping for an earlier date but it seems they have many appointments lined up. When I talked to the person on the phone they did confirm that the tuition was 40k+, however everyone is eligible for financial aid. I received a bachelors degree in biological sciences recently and it has been difficult finding a job so I'm looking into DMS. The reason I asked this question is because I was reading around the web and people have been saying that it may be harder to find employment for those who finish a program from a trade school because they may have a lower reputation. In addition, I've also read that males are less sought after by employers for some reason. That which does not bode well for me. Still unsure as to what to do at this point. I'm still thinking either DMS or respiratory therapy as a future profession.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lady in Norwalk, California

29 months ago

make sure that the program is CAAHEP accredited. Sometimes they say yes the school is accredited by CAAHEP but don't tell you that its cetain programs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

dms in Norwalk, California

29 months ago

Ben in Cerritos, California said: Justin, have you already gone in for an interview at Platt College ? I am considering doing the exact same thing, and I don't think the tuition is 40K+, should be cheaper. I was wary of the college myself but it is CAAHEP accredited and was featured on a website in the top 5 DMS programs in California, so it doesn't sound too bad. What do you have your Bachelor's Degree in?

If anybody has any information on this school or has experience with hiring DMS graduates, could you please clarify how you judge schools, and if a Bachelors Degree in a related subject along with a A.A. in Sonography is an advantage?

Make sure it is CAAHEP accredited. i went to their page and clicked on accreditation and the school is only accredited by ACCSC. Where did you see that its accredited by CAAHEP. I was also considering this school but didnt see that it was accredited by the right departments.

29 months ago

dms- Yea it's funny, their website only states that their program is ACCSC accredited, they haven't updated it since they became CAAHEP accredited.(funny to think that would be something you would want to list) If you go to CAAHEP's website, you pick your state and they list all the accredited programs in your area. Platt was listed there, and they have been accredited for a few years.

justin- Yea man I'm in pretty much in the same boat. I've been asking around and I feel like both the DMS and the respiratory therapy are good options. My friend is a sonography assistant and he says the job really is pretty technical and you need to perform well to keep jobs, but two students were already taken on. You can work at hospitals, clinics, radiology centers, etc. My mother has a friend who is a respiratory therapist and she has a pretty good living. Both sound like good directions to head, as my bachelors in Physiology isn;t helping too much in the general job market. Like anything the competition nowadays is tougher in any field regardless what you do, but technical skills in a specific field should improve chances that you'll land a pretty good job. Good luck!

Enjoyliving in Murrieta, California

27 months ago

They are CAAHEP accredited. It's also on the CAAHEP website data base.

kmhbeauty in Murrieta, California

18 months ago

Did any of you end up going to the DMS schools? I am also looking at Platt, but they unaccredited program because they offer a bachelors in DMS, which means you can still take the ARDMS right after you are done with school. I know they are seeking accreditation but who knows when that will actually happen. I do have some hope since they did get one location accredited. I am just worried that coming from a unaccredited program will hurt me in the long run even if its a bachelors and I have all registries. Any advice?

Hobo2012 in California

18 months ago

You don't need a BS degree to do ultrasound. It's a tough job market. You need every edge you can get. I wouldn't go to an unaccredited school. Long run wise, probably it wouldn't hurt as much as long as you made it up with work experience. But since its so hard to get a job in the first place, you really need an accredited program. You have Loma Linda in your area, you go try to get into that one. It's still pricey, but less than platt.
Oh and there are plenty of people with all their registries and BS with no job in ultrasound. ARDMS is not some magical thing that equals job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

kmhbeauty in Murrieta, California

18 months ago

I decided not to go into ultrasound. It was just too much of a gamble for me and possibly end up with no job, debt, and not having any kind of a social life from the intense schooling. I still need to work and im not sure how I would do that with loma lindas program. I really wanted to go into the field but it just doesn't make sense.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ThinkAgain in Cleveland, Ohio

18 months ago

kmhbeauty in Murrieta, California said: I decided not to go into ultrasound. It was just too much of a gamble for me and possibly end up with no job, debt, and not having any kind of a social life from the intense schooling. I still need to work and im not sure how I would do that with loma lindas program. I really wanted to go into the field but it just doesn't make sense.

There are not a lot of jobs in certain fields.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.