Ultrasound Sonography a growing job market? Demand for Ultrasound Techs next ten years?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

gigi in Naples, Florida

49 months ago

Hi guys, I have a BS in marketing and interested in doing ultrasound. I live in southwest florida. Is there a demand for ultrasound technicians? The 2010 U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics saids demand will grow faster than any other jobs next ten years. www.bls.gov/oco/ocos273.htm

What does the field say?

If so, is it better to specialize in cardio, ob/gyn or general? Highest demand next ten years?

Also, i keep hearing that the school you attend should be accredited with CAAHEP?

Any insight?

Much appreciated!
gigi

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

ssmitha in Jacksonville, Florida

48 months ago

I am in northeast Florida and I am considering a program here. I have done a lot of research, even spoke to students at the school. First and most important, you must go to a CAAHEP accredited program. Dont even consider wasting your time or money with a program that isnt. They will promise you the world, tell you if you have a Bachelors, blah, blah. Bottom line, no one will hire you of you go to a school that is not accredited. As far as the job market, it is tight because of the economy. There arent as many insured people, so less patients. The more specialties you can get the better. O/B, gen abdomen are the basics that you should get anywhere. You want more though. The school here is at a hospital, and we get abdomen, O/B, breast AND VASCULAR! You may not have a job waiting for you or handed to you, but they are there, and with all other areas on healthcare that are distressed, it will improve in the next 3 years. Newly graduated nurses cant even find jobs right now. Good luck. I think the field is very interesting. The hospital even let me shadow a ultrasound tech one day!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Eric Cadiente RDCS RVT in Altamonte Springs, Florida

48 months ago

There are 11 schools with accredited programs listed for the state of Florida on the CAAHEP.org website. There are even more numerous accredited programs in the state. With that many schools in the state, coupled with the uncertainty of healthcare reform and the economic down turn, the job outlook in Florida is not as robust as it has been in previous years. If you are willing to relocate to an underserved area or even out of the state, the job outlook is better. Visit the CAAHEP.org website and search for diagnostic medical sonography programs by state. You can also search by specialty (general, cardiac, vascular).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.