Ultrasound Tech Programs in San Jose

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 106)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

zy in Gilroy, California

66 months ago

lbb in Alamo, California said: You need to do some further research on the ARDMS website. You can no longer sit for your exam right out of school unless you have a BS in Ultrasound, or graduate from an accredited program, which is Kaiser, Foothill, and Western Career College. These programs require college prep courses first, only because you are not just pointing a transducer on a body. You need to be familiar with your anatomy, and know what you are doing. Would you want a nurse working on you that had a six week course in Anatomy? I would not, Ultrasound techs are the same! these schools are dangerous that pass these students right off the street, with out the proper schooling, and training. The education is there for a purpose, not to just make you rich! The ARDMS is making it harder and harder for students from these schools to do exactly this, and it's nice to know insurance companies for health care facilities are doing the same! Good luck in trying to find a job unless you are from an accredited school!!! it will be very hard, and further more if you still want to be lazy, make sure your school has an externship site for you, I get calls from students on a daily basis looking for their own site. Very poor representation on the schools part for the crazy amount of money you decide to give them! Sorry this is not a good review, but it's the truth.

lbb, you should go to ARDMS website and read the requirements intelligently.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

zy in Gilroy, California

66 months ago

llb, go to ARDMS website and read the requirements intelligently.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Pat in San Jose, California

64 months ago

Ok, IME's website now states:

April 2007
IME received Full institutional accreditation from WASC.

and...

Upon completion of the program, graduates are eligible to take the national certification exam given by the American Registry of Diagnostic Sonographers (ARDMS).

Both statements are copied directly off of their website and pasted here. I checked with www.armrit.org/schools.htm and they are listed there with them.

So my question is this, does this mean they are legitament? Will my diploma, certificate, or what ever it is they offer be sufficient to take the exam and find work at the rates other recent graduates from Foothill will receive? Is the WASC accreditation what we were all waiting for? Is it the right one? I'm very confused. If I don't get into the Foothill program then I was going to go to IME, but only if it is legit. Please help, as all of this is confusing to me. I just want to find a good career where I can help people and make really good money to support me and my children with a good quality of life.
Thanks

64 months ago

Ok, I just checked the Western Career College website and they are also accredited by WASC. I remember when I spoke with a rep at WCC that she said they were the only (at that time) private school with that accreditation for that program and that was especially good because that meant we could transfer community college credits over and get a degree. So I assume the same for IME????
I have not checked with WASC themselves yet to see if it true about IME being accredited by them. I assume it's true or they could get into a lot of trouble, right?
Anyone with any thought or opinions on WASC accreditation for IME and what that means?

Looking for a good Ultrasound program. in Hollister, California

63 months ago

Pat in San Jose, California said: Ok, I just checked the Western Career College website and they are also accredited by WASC. I remember when I spoke with a rep at WCC that she said they were the only (at that time) private school with that accreditation for that program and that was especially good because that meant we could transfer community college credits over and get a degree. So I assume the same for IME????
I have not checked with WASC themselves yet to see if it true about IME being accredited by them. I assume it's true or they could get into a lot of trouble, right?
Anyone with any thought or opinions on WASC accreditation for IME and what that means?

Pat-
I am on the same boat as you. I have been looking into IME myself and am confused as well. I will say that just because the school is WASC accredited doesn't mean everything's fine. I met with IME yesterday and it didn't seem bad but finding a job after completion of this course is my main concern. In order to take your ARMDS to become licensed you will have to work one 1y full time being paid in addition to the course at IME. 1yr in IME is a class course, and your 2yr is an externship. When you successfully complete the IME course you will receive a certificate. BUT in order to take your ARMDS test you still have to work that one year being paid. I have called around to all hospitals in my area and none of them will hire you unless you're licensed. I know your concerns as they are mine to. If anyone reading these reviews can give us some input on how to go about finding a job after completion of IME's Ultrasound course it would be greatly appreciated.

latoure in San Jose, California

61 months ago

lbb in Alamo, California said: You need to do some further research on the ARDMS website. You can no longer sit for your exam right out of school unless you have a BS in Ultrasound, or graduate from an accredited program, which is Kaiser, Foothill, and Western Career College. These programs require college prep courses first, only because you are not just pointing a transducer on a body. You need to be familiar with your anatomy, and know what you are doing. Would you want a nurse working on you that had a six week course in Anatomy? I would not, Ultrasound techs are the same! these schools are dangerous that pass these students right off the street, with out the proper schooling, and training. The education is there for a purpose, not to just make you rich! The ARDMS is making it harder and harder for students from these schools to do exactly this, and it's nice to know insurance companies for health care facilities are doing the same! Good luck in trying to find a job unless you are from an accredited school!!! it will be very hard, and further more if you still want to be lazy, make sure your school has an externship site for you, I get calls from students on a daily basis looking for their own site. Very poor representation on the schools part for the crazy amount of money you decide to give them! Sorry this is not a good review, but it's the truth.

CORRECTION..You can sit for the ARDMS with a BS or BA in any dicipline and completed IME 18 month course.. reference prerequisite 3A. If you pass your ARDMS and have a BS, who the heck cares where you went to school??

latoure in San Jose, California

61 months ago

Looking for a good Ultrasound program. in Hollister, California said: Pat-
I am on the same boat as you. I have been looking into IME myself and am confused as well. I will say that just because the school is WASC accredited doesn't mean everything's fine. I met with IME yesterday and it didn't seem bad but finding a job after completion of this course is my main concern. In order to take your ARMDS to become licensed you will have to work one 1y full time being paid in addition to the course at IME. 1yr in IME is a class course, and your 2yr is an externship. When you successfully complete the IME course you will receive a certificate. BUT in order to take your ARMDS test you still have to work that one year being paid. I have called around to all hospitals in my area and none of them will hire you unless you're licensed. I know your concerns as they are mine to. If anyone reading these reviews can give us some input on how to go about finding a job after completion of IME's Ultrasound course it would be greatly appreciated.

You can sit for the ARDMS exam after completion of the IME 18 month course IF you have a Bachelors degree in any dicipline!! Once you have your ARDMS cert..you can fly on your own and get a job fairly quickly.:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

61 months ago

latoure, you said you get calls all the time from students looking for their own internships? So, this is your profession I assume? I have one question I hope you can clear up for me. You said you needed a BS degree to sit for the ARDMS? I thought it was an AS that you needed, not necessarily a BS? Am I wrong?
Thanks
Pat

latoure in Sunnyvale, California

61 months ago

Pat in San Jose, California said: latoure, you said you get calls all the time from students looking for their own internships? So, this is your profession I assume? I have one question I hope you can clear up for me. You said you needed a BS degree to sit for the ARDMS? I thought it was an AS that you needed, not necessarily a BS? Am I wrong?
Thanks
Pat

Hmm..I never said I get call all the time. You might want to double-check your source. Im not in the profession (yet). Im like everyone else on this board. Still investigating schools. But, Im tending to want to go with IME for various "fast track" reasons. My only concern with them is having to wait up to a year after you complete the classroom portion for your externship to begin. to me , that is plain unacceptable. Ill be calling them about this soon.

You can sit for the ARDMS immediately after completion of your 18 month schooling(either at an accredxited or unacredited school). If you dont have a BS, you will need to work for one year after your course ends before you can take it.The BS waives the one year work requirement.

larisa in San Jose, California

60 months ago

PDIZZLE in South San Francisco, California said: Has anyone ever heard of the school Institute for Medical Education in San Jose? I am looking to get some information at this fairly new school and want to start the Ultrasound Tech program, but would like some feedback from either students or those who have heard of this school...Please respond.

IME school is not a good school for you to start your program. They only want your money, and by the time you finish you class, you won't be able to find any externship place because the school is not known to the community, and it's not good place to learn. From the teachers to staffs to the directors, they only want to get your money and they don't care about you, so please do some more researches before you loose your money. good luck

NJ in San Jose, California

59 months ago

Lygialee said: This was a refreshing review as I am authentically seeking to become an Ultra Sound Technician. Being over 50 yrs of age, I just want objectivity and facts. Thank you so much. I would like to followup with the is person if they should decide to contact me.

Lygialee,

your response is very encouraging.

Thanks,
Neena

tina in San Lorenzo, California

58 months ago

That is true about IME.that is not a good one after they get your mony they don't care abut yout externship.
when you start the class they promise to you.they will find an externship as soon as you done the clss but not .you have to wight a year and more.take care

priya in Menlo Park, California

53 months ago

baysono in Santa Clara, California said: As an experiece sonographer in the bay area for 15 years I would be very carefull spending money on a NON accredited program, most hospital and clinics with good reputations will not even concider your application unless you have graduated from an accredited program and have the clinical hours to take your ardms boards. Also remember it's not about just getting through school and making money(although that helps!) it's about knowledge and treating patients, perhaps it could be your mother,father, sister etc that you are responsible(scanning)for, if you miss something because you did not have the proper training they could die of cancer/some other diesese or end up very sick before they got proper medical care,not to mention you could be held legally liable(if you miss a defect while scanning a baby(fetus),you could be named in the law suit, not to mention how bad you would feel). There is a tremendous amount of responsiblity and respect for those who work in our feild, it has been earned through our hard work, so I say if you are willing and able, spend your money and your time on a quality program with a good track record, you will find that the job optioins will be much more bountiful.

I would like to find some good institution who offer this course if you can help me

Orinda in Pasadena, California

53 months ago

priya in Menlo Park, California said: I would like to find some good institution who offer this course if you can help me

For the most part,your opinion is probably true. However,there
are a few schools that aren't caheep accredited.For example,the
four-year institute in southern Oregon,as an example.The bottom
line is you have to be ARDMS registered and be able to scan

east bay u.s. student @ ime in San Francisco, California

51 months ago

i'm going to finish the u.s. program from ime next month. i read all of these comments and can say that things have changed since this topic started. you can now get fafsa financial aid and the program is 25 months. they do have externship sites, but you will most likely have to travel outside of the bay area. the main reason these types of schools cost so much is they use a good amount of the money to pay for the externship and foothill & kaiser have contracts with most hospitals/clinics in the area so they have to go out of the area. if you don't want to travel outside of the bay then this is not for you!! i couldn't do the foothill program because they make you sign a contract saying you do no work and have open availability for your externship. i have to work so that school was not an option for me. i was one of the lucky students to get placed at a good site and learned a lot. i'm currently studying for the spi physics exam (this is the other part you need to complete your rdms) and hope with that on my resume that someone will give me a chance to work for a full year then i can take a speciality exam and get my rdms. i wish that someone would of told me about caahap schools, but i found out too late. if i have to take a job out of the area or state i will because this student loan i have won't pay for itself. i will say that a few of the students who completed their hours before me have been lucky enough to find a job in the east bay. i don't think they are getting top dollar, but they are working. good luck to everyone and i hope this helped.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

baysono in Cupertino, California

51 months ago

priya in Menlo Park, California said: I would like to find some good institution who offer this course if you can help me

There are a few good accredited schools out there, locally Foothill college, not so local San Diego State and Loma Linda. You can't short cut or cheap out on your education. We are called Sonographers and NOT Technicians there is a VAST difference between the two. Our facility would never even consider hiring a person with out the proper education,those applications go right to the trash can, so if you would like earn what you are worth once you get your ARDMS then you had better have the proper education to back it up. So yes, it does matter where you went to school prior to getting your ARDMS, if for some reason you were one of the unlucky few to follow the wrong path you might be lucky to make $20 dollars an hour vs the $50 we pay our new hires, this could really make paying that student loan back much harder.
Do some research, there are other top notch schools out there, invest in yourself and your potential patients.

Stacey in San Francisco, California

49 months ago

baysono in Santa Clara, California said: As an experiece sonographer in the bay area for 15 years I would be very carefull spending money on a NON accredited program, most hospital and clinics with good reputations will not even concider your application unless you have graduated from an accredited program and have the clinical hours to take your ardms boards. Also remember it's not about just getting through school and making money(although that helps!) it's about knowledge and treating patients, perhaps it could be your mother,father, sister etc that you are responsible(scanning)for, if you miss something because you did not have the proper training they could die of cancer/some other diesese or end up very sick before they got proper medical care,not to mention you could be held legally liable(if you miss a defect while scanning a baby(fetus),you could be named in the law suit, not to mention how bad you would feel). There is a tremendous amount of responsiblity and respect for those who work in our feild, it has been earned through our hard work, so I say if you are willing and able, spend your money and your time on a quality program with a good track record, you will find that the job optioins will be much more bountiful.

Thank you for your helpful information. Have you ever heard of Gurnick Academy of Medical Arts? I'm thinking about going to their MRI program but have not decided yet. The program is accredited by the ARMRIT. Please help

baysono in Cupertino, California

49 months ago

I Have heard of Gurnick, I have heard that you must precure your own internship or use their lab and not really get good hands on scanning. It is very expensive and usually the people who have graduated from there are only finding small lower paying jobs in doctors offices because they lack clinical experience. These are the things I have heard.... I have no person experience with this school, is this a school for you? Only you can decide but make sure you do your research first it would be a shame to waste your time or money or both.
Good luck

vistagrp in Pittsburg, California

49 months ago

I want to state unequivocally, that if you don't have a bachelors degree and want to do ultrasound that you choose a CHEAP accredited school. I have my BA and I went to a private University in Oakland for Ultrasound training. It is run by Russians----in particular there is one teacher who does most of the ultrasound classes that is nasty, uncooperative, hard to understand, unwilling to help students----you might as well do on-line learning, at least you wouldn't be treated with abuse. For some reason, even though all the students complained bitterly regarding her unprofessionalism and lack of student concern, the school backs her all the way. Pity since it will destroy the school in short order. Other teachers are good but if the main teacher is a sadist and has your future in her hands, it is an unwise decision, no matter how tempting. The school's policies are archaic and disorganized and not user friendly. You end of paying for the cheap education you get. I am trying to get a job and the school is not cooperating with letter of eligibility, certainly no help in job placement and their internships are mostly observing, not hands-on. Just an opinion, however, I was the best student in the echo section, so I like to think my opinion has some clout.....

Stacey in Palo Alto, California

48 months ago

I'm just doing research for this school before I make my decision. Their MRI program is accredited but since the tuition is SO expensive so I don't know if it's worthit you know. What program did you hear about Gurnick?

48 months ago

vistagrp in Pittsburg, California said: I want to state unequivocally, that if you don't have a bachelors degree and want to do ultrasound that you choose a CHEAP accredited school. I have my BA and I went to a private University in Oakland for Ultrasound training. It is run by Russians----in particular there is one teacher who does most of the ultrasound classes that is nasty, uncooperative, hard to understand, unwilling to help students----you might as well do on-line learning, at least you wouldn't be treated with abuse. For some reason, even though all the students complained bitterly regarding her unprofessionalism and lack of student concern, the school backs her all the way. Pity since it will destroy the school in short order. Other teachers are good but if the main teacher is a sadist and has your future in her hands, it is an unwise decision, no matter how tempting. The school's policies are archaic and disorganized and not user friendly. You end of paying for the cheap education you get. I am trying to get a job and the school is not cooperating with letter of eligibility, certainly no help in job placement and their internships are mostly observing, not hands-on. Just an opinion, however, I was the best student in the echo section, so I like to think my opinion has some clout.....

I'm sorry to hear that. Is the school you're talking about Lincoln University in Oakland? I wanted to go there for Ultrasound but the program is not accredited.

48 months ago

baysono in Cupertino, California said: I Have heard of Gurnick, I have heard that you must precure your own internship or use their lab and not really get good hands on scanning. It is very expensive and usually the people who have graduated from there are only finding small lower paying jobs in doctors offices because they lack clinical experience. These are the things I have heard.... I have no person experience with this school, is this a school for you? Only you can decide but make sure you do your research first it would be a shame to waste your time or money or both.
Good luck

I've been doing research for this school before I make my decision. Their MRI program is accredited but since the tuition is SO expensive so I don't know if it's worthit you know. What program did you hear about Gurnick?

Erin in Sacramento, California

48 months ago

baysono in Cupertino, California said: I Have heard of Gurnick, I have heard that you must precure your own internship or use their lab and not really get good hands on scanning. It is very expensive and usually the people who have graduated from there are only finding small lower paying jobs in doctors offices because they lack clinical experience. These are the things I have heard.... I have no person experience with this school, is this a school for you? Only you can decide but make sure you do your research first it would be a shame to waste your time or money or both.
Good luck

Hello baysono. I've almost completed Gurnick's Ultrasound program. I've done very comprehensive research before choosing Gurnick and heard positive and some negative comments as well. However, having almost completed the program, I feel Gurnick has done good job in preparing me (so far :))).
As of now, I have been in the program for 15 months. For the first 8 months they make you go to school 5 days a week, 3 of which you spend in lab (Their lab is up to date and is equipped with 9 ultrasound systems plus ultrasound simulator and phantoms. US machine to student ratio never exceeds 2:1). I started my Internship after 8 months into being in the program. I had to go to school 2 days per week and to the clinical site for 2 days as well for about additional 6 months. Once I completed my didactics (1 month ago) I started doing Internship full-time. That’s how their program is structured. Mainly Gurnick rotates their interns through hospitals (Sutter Health system, Doctors, Alameda, etc) high risk and prenatal facilities and some of Rednet facilities… The clinical sites where me and my classmates got rotated had Gurnick’s graduated employed as sonographers. In general, I have very favorable comments about Gurnick's program as you can see… Will post an update about job and ARDMS exam later…

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

neeshe in Fairfield, California

47 months ago

Pat in San Jose, California said: Ok, IME's website now states:

April 2007

Is the WASC accreditation what we were all waiting for? Is it the right one? I'm very confused. If I don't get into the Foothill program then I was going to go to IME, but only if it is legit.

No, WASC is not what we've been waiting for. That just means they are considered a school now and not just a business. Whoopty doo. Your high school has to be accredited by WASC in order for you to get a high school diploma, but that's the about the only thing it's good for.

For ultrasound schools you need to be looking for the CAAHEP stamp of approval. Only 8 schools in CA have it.
www.caahep.org/Find-An-Accredited-Program/

I'm a student there and I'm about to drop out. Don't sign up, go the community college route if you have the patience and time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Irina in San Jose, California

45 months ago

Hi Erin,
I don't know if you still come to this forum....I was wondering if Gurnick has internship sites close to San Jose? I am very interested in their Ultrasound program and would like to chat with you some more.

Christina14 in San Jose, California

44 months ago

Im looking into doing school to become an ultra sound tech..those of you who already are can you give me any leads on to were i should school, maybe info on the courses, ect...please anyone who has info please let me no thank you

barnesbunchx7 in Lenoir, North Carolina

44 months ago

For ultrasound schools you need to be looking for the CAAHEP stamp of approval. Only 8 schools in CA have it.
www.caahep.org/Find-An-Accredited-Program/

Go to that site and look for your area. I believe its foothill or Kaiser in Richmond. THose are the ONLY 2 in the bay area. Read their requirements and get started. I believe Kaiser is the easier route. Take their prereqs at your local community college and when you are done apply to Kaiser. Its very competitive and I think they take the top 20 applicants so I would go for straight A's. I did not want to retake all my sciences so searched out of state and we moved to NC. The waiting list is really long, they said 2 years and its been 6 years for some. I would start the basics most require and when ready apply all over the place.

Tara

HELP..LVN in Daly City, California

43 months ago

Can anyone tell me more about the LVN program? Is the cost reduced if I have all my pre-reqs? Staff, counselors, financial aid reliable/professional? I was excited to enroll but after reading so many negative comments about the school, my hopes really went down. I saw on the board of LVN that pass rate is 61% as of last year which has been the highest since they've opened. Also, I am referring to IME San Jose Campus. Please anyone, everyone give me as much helpful details ASAP. LVN program starts soon and I don't want to waste my time and money as no one else does especially when it comes to my education. Thank you!

vistagrp in Oakland, California

43 months ago

Regarding ANY private post-secondary educational school, the accreditation and resources offered are crucial. If you want to see if the school is any good, ask school (they are suppose to provide this anyway), number of graduates in field, number who got licensed and found jobs and in what length of time. Also, check witht he accreditation board for any complaints as well as the CA state consumer board for private post secondary education which is BPPE. (look both up on web and call!!!). Many students are afraid to stand up for their rights and have bad learning situations. At Lincoln University in Oakland, the Ultrasound staff as well as main administrators are Russians. The teachers don't speak great English, tests are pig English with the main sonographer and there are some very brutal and mean people due to growing up in bad situations in Russia. This school also does not give enough facilities for the number of students. Trying to get eligibility letter from the school is like pulling teeth. Instruction is basically "self taught" as the instructors hand out information and then read it in English hard to understand. Private education is definitely "Buyer Beware."

Rosie in Hayward, California

43 months ago

Unless you have all the money and time in the world, don't go to Gurnick. There is a lot of politicking going on and no guarantee of making it even if you get
A's on your exams. If they like you, they will pass you. If they don't, they won't. Teachers are from foreign countries and hard to understand. Some students
know more than the intstructor and are helping THEM. It is expensive and they
want your money. It is a business for them.

vistagrp in Manteca, California

43 months ago

Please tell me more about the people with 4 year college degrees going to IME. Does the school give them eligibility to take ARDMS exams? Are the US instructors ARDMS licensed? How many US machines per number of students are there at IME? Does the school help the students? Are the teachers Russian by any chance?

vistagrp in Manteca, California

42 months ago

Pat in San Jose, California said: Ok, IME's website now states:

April 2007

and...

Upon completion of the program, graduates are eligible to take the national certification exam given by the American Registry of Diagnostic Sonographers (ARDMS).

Both statements are copied directly off of their website and pasted here. I checked with www.armrit.org/schools.htm and they are listed there with them.

So my question is this, does this mean they are legitament? Will my diploma, certificate, or what ever it is they offer be sufficient to take the exam and find work at the rates other recent graduates from Foothill will receive? Is the WASC accreditation what we were all waiting for? Is it the right one? I'm very confused. If I don't get into the Foothill program then I was going to go to IME, but only if it is legit. Please help, as all of this is confusing to me. I just want to find a good career where I can help people and make really good money to support me and my children with a good quality of life.
Thanks

Why not get it in writing from IME that if you get the degree at IME they will communicate with ARDMS and make sure you are eligible. For jobs, you need to be ARDMS eligible and even better if you take ARDMS specialty exam. It also depends on whether you have a BS or BA previously. If the school is not legitimate, report them!!!!! Help out everyone, please. Students are the ones who get sucked in and then taken for a lot of money. It is important to stand up for your rights and needs and not be intimidated by such schools as IME, etc.

vistagrp in Hayward, California

42 months ago

Stacey in Palo Alto, California said: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the school you're talking about Lincoln University in Oakland? I wanted to go there for Ultrasound but the program is not accredited.

The program is accredited but not by the same body as Western Career and Foothill, so if you do not have a BA or BS degree you have to do a mentoring program after the coursework and the school does not help the student find a mentoring site. If you have a BA or BS the education does qualify for ARDMS, but I have having trouble with the school because they are trying to claim that they do not have to help students with CV ARDMS form. They are being uncooperative and I have found that to be true all throughout the program. That school has to have outside pressure put on them to give students their rights. Yes, it is Lincoln University. 65 students for 2 ultrasound machines----quite a rip off!! I advise not to go there unless you like to "suck it up" and be mistreated by Russians.

42 months ago

latoure in San Jose, California said: You can sit for the ARDMS exam after completion of the IME 18 month course IF you have a Bachelors degree in any dicipline!! Once you have your ARDMS cert..you can fly on your own and get a job fairly quickly.:)

I believe this to be true as well.

42 months ago

latoure in San Jose, California said: You can sit for the ARDMS exam after completion of the IME 18 month course IF you have a Bachelors degree in any dicipline!! Once you have your ARDMS cert..you can fly on your own and get a job fairly quickly.:)

Could you tell me if IME school helps you with the eligibility such as filling out the CV forms and providing a letter from licensed people as ARDMS pre-requisite 3A for people with BA or BS degree? Thank you very much.

Rosie in Hayward, California

42 months ago

Yes, this is true.

Angie

35 months ago

John in Los Gatos, California said: Sunil Vethody and his wife, Bindu Baburajan are the owners of IME. They use students financial aid money ( paid by taxpayers) to pay for their lavish lifestyle. This includes a Mercedes, BMW, and a multi million dollar mansion near the Silver Creek country club. Please do not go to this school. The programs are not accredited and the programs are overpriced. They are currently being reported to the department of education for fraud and participating in illegal activities.

Do you know if there is anything former or current students can do to help with the investigation for fraud? I was thinking about filing a complaint with the BBB but I don't know if that will do anything. That school received $10,000 from my daughter's pell grant and stafford loan. She was only in school for one month , and after we found out her program was not accredited(mri) she dicided to quit the program. The school won't give back the money and she is now paying back a loan that she should not have to pay back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

John in Los Gatos, California

35 months ago

Angie said: Do you know if there is anything former or current students can do to help with the investigation for fraud? I was thinking about filing a complaint with the BBB but I don't know if that will do anything. That school received $10,000 from my daughter's pell grant and stafford loan. She was only in school for one month , and after we found out her program was not accredited(mri) she dicided to quit the program. The school won't give back the money and she is now paying back a loan that she should not have to pay back.

Angie, what they are doing is illegal!!!!! The school is supposed to either return the money back to the Department of education or refund you back the money. If they returned the money back, then you shouldnt have to pay for the loan. That means that the school kept your money and you are paying for a service that was never provided which is illegal! You should definitely report them to BBB and to the Department of Education.

Trust me, you are not the only student who has had this happen to. The school purposely does not inform students when they are at a credit balance, which is against the law. Last month, the school started a new LVN class which never got approved by the Department of Licensed Vocational Nurse. They ended up canceling the class and failed to inform students who prepaid for the program prior to attending class. They basically keep your money until you ask for it. Think about how many students who are owed a refund but was never informed about it.

Please report them!!!!!!!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Josh in Salinas, California

33 months ago

Angie said: Do you know if there is anything former or current students can do to help with the investigation for fraud? I was thinking about filing a complaint with the BBB but I don't know if that will do anything. That school received $10,000 from my daughter's pell grant and stafford loan. She was only in school for one month , and after we found out her program was not accredited(mri) she dicided to quit the program. The school won't give back the money and she is now paying back a loan that she should not have to pay back.

There are numerous similar and other complaints about this school. They are involved in multiple unethical practices. please help future possible victims by exposing them.

T.C. in San Jose, California

33 months ago

I just spoke with Carrington College (formerly Western Career College) about two weeks ago and when I told them I was considering between IME and Carrington the guy told me not to go with IME because they are about to loose their accreditation. The school is in some sort of trouble, and I can guess what that is by reading all of these post. Thank you everyone for helping to expose them. They prey on single mothers and take money from them that they could be using to get a real education to support their children. These guys are dirt!

LVN Student in Oakland, California

33 months ago

I actually am attending IME right now for the LVN program and with our new Director Dr. Teresa and new, competent staff, I can say there is a huge difference with the LVN program compared to a few months ago before Dr. Teresa was hired. They are under probation due to the low scores from the past years with horrible management, but they are not closing. Believe what you want, especially the Carrington guy that obviously will draw you away from any school to get suckered into their expensive programs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

T.C. in San Jose, California

33 months ago

LVN Student in Oakland, California said: I actually am attending IME right now for the LVN program and with our new Director Dr. Teresa and new, competent staff, I can say there is a huge difference with the LVN program compared to a few months ago before Dr. Teresa was hired. They are under probation due to the low scores from the past years with horrible management, but they are not closing. Believe what you want, especially the Carrington guy that obviously will draw you away from any school to get suckered into their expensive programs.

Ok, well good luck with that, and please do reply and post what your experiences are/were when you graduate and can't find work because no one will hire you because you went to IME in San Jose.

408 San Jose in San Jose, California

33 months ago

Silicon Valley in Cupertino, California said: Looks like most the comments are from the LVN field that rate the school on the low side. As we know this is a fairly new school. The staff probably needs time to organized in order to get on track as in any other new business. I am enrolled in their Ultrasound Tech Program for the first week. I can't say how well the program is but they are trying. They needs constructive criticism to help them improve for the long run. If you have a college degree of any major, you can sit in for the ARDSM exam immediately after graduation.Check out the prequisite 3A on ARDSM web site. It's the fastest way to go into this field after graduation with clinical experience to get your license. Instead of putting on a long waitlist or fulfilling the unrealistic requirements in some community colleges, which means taking another several years of waiting for a 18 month program, you end up losing time and power to earn. IME may not be the best school in this area but if you put effort to do your part in learning and prepare for the license. You will get it. And if you get the State license, you will get a job since there is a real demand in this field.

Silicon Valley in Cupertino, Did you ever graduate from IME in Ultrasound? And if so, can you find work at the same hiring pay rate that maybe a community college graduate makes? I'm curious as to how it all turned out for you and other graduates. I'm still thinking about it, but need some statistics/info from people who have gone through the program and completed it. I tried to email the school on several occasions asking for specific information but never heard back. Can someone tell me, please?

jgollan in San Francisco, California

33 months ago

I am a reporter with the Bay Citizen in San Francisco. We work with the Bay Area section of the New York Times. If you currently attend or have attended IME, I would be interested to hear your story. My email: jgollan@baycitizen.org
Many thanks.

shell in Fairfield, California

29 months ago

jgollan in San Francisco, California said: I am a reporter with the Bay Citizen in San Francisco. We work with the Bay Area section of the New York Times. If you currently attend or have attended IME, I would be interested to hear your story. My email: jgollan@baycitizen.org
Many thanks.

Woot! Woot! The state shut IME down today. I hope I can get some of my money back.

www.baycitizen.org/education/story/state-shut-down-medical-institute/

www.baycitizen.org/education/story/regulators-investigate-institute-medical/

www.baycitizen.org/education/story/vocational-schools-complaints-mount-lags/

bay citizen in Atherton, California

29 months ago

shell in Fairfield, California said: Woot! Woot! The state shut IME down today. I hope I can get some of my money back.

www.baycitizen.org/education/story/state-shut-down-medical-institute/

www.baycitizen.org/education/story/regulators-investigate-institute-medical/

www.baycitizen.org/education/story/vocational-schools-complaints-mount-lags/

i am sooo glad the school was shut down. it seemed like they paid yelp to remove their negative comments from the site, so they would only have good reviews show up to attract more students. i dropped out of nursing program back in 2008 after finding out they're not accredited. i am surprised it took the state sooooo long (4 years) to find out they've lost accreditation. but it's for the better. i am just glad this school is gone.

shell in Fairfield, California

29 months ago

bay citizen in Atherton, California said: i am sooo glad the school was shut down. it seemed like they paid yelp to remove their negative comments from the site, so they would only have good reviews show up to attract more students. i dropped out of nursing program back in 2008 after finding out they're not accredited. i am surprised it took the state sooooo long (4 years) to find out they've lost accreditation. but it's for the better. i am just glad this school is gone.

I was in their MRI program in the summer of 2010 @ the Oakland campus and then I found out AMRIT accreditation is not recognized by any hospital only ARRT. For a while now I've been wanting to get some past students together and start a class action lawsuit, but I don't know how to go about it. I believe they flag your negative comments as inappropriate so that they are removed b/c I've written a few trying to warn perspective students to stay away from them and they all have been removed.

bay citizen in Palo Alto, California

29 months ago

shell in Fairfield, California said: I was in their MRI program in the summer of 2010 @ the Oakland campus and then I found out AMRIT accreditation is not recognized by any hospital only ARRT. For a while now I've been wanting to get some past students together and start a class action lawsuit, but I don't know how to go about it. I believe they flag your negative comments as inappropriate so that they are removed b/c I've written a few trying to warn perspective students to stay away from them and they all have been removed.

The inst. told me that if I think their nursing is not accredited; I could transfer to the MRI program. I went to MRI classes for 3 days and paid $450.00 for the 3 days of lecture on my sallie mae loan. I went to the San Jose campus. I don't know what good a lawsuit will do at this point if I initiate one, but if someone else is willing to go ahead w/ yours, good luck. This school is pure trash. They had lost my transcripts twice and I had to pay for more. Idk if you noticed this, but schools such as carrington & heald are also still accredited by WASC as mentioned on their website. But doesn't that make those schools illegal as well. I know someone who went to heald and got screwed over by the "21 units transferable out of 90" at san jose state university. They had to re-do the whole course. IDK, these things just makes it look like as if our private college education system is flawed.

bay citizen in Palo Alto, California

29 months ago

hoapres in San Jose, California said: Carrington and Heald graduates are often not considered for employment. You can do a search on yelp dot com for Heald College in Milpitas, CA and look at the filtered review by an ex employee which described in detail the problems facing Heald students. Most Heald students don't belong at the college along with the institution being concerned about only getting the money.

True that, it was my friend who got sucked into Heald and I was stupid enough to choose IME. I don't even know why they post fake employers' list on Heald's website. DOE needs to look into these trash schools.

IME student in Sanjose

28 months ago

I am a student from Dental Hygiene program who was suppose to graduate on April 26th. Now, I am not sure if there is a school or not and I cannot transfer my transcripts to any other school. I believe, the actual culprit is not the school but WASC. They came and withdrew their support from Department of Education without any notice and that propelled the collapse of this school. Now, I do not know what to do.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.