The Ultrasound field, is it a good thing to try to get into, or should it be avoided?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Cytofiend in Redondo Beach, California

77 months ago

I am currently a professional who will be laid off shortly and I was looking for my options. Diagnostic medical sonography popped up during my research and I was intrigued. I thought it might be an interesting career choice and got excited about it.

I was excited until I found out that I will have to retake a lot of the classes I already took (I already have a BS in Bio from UCLA as well a postgrad schooling). Furthermore, I was also a little irritated when I saw that at least one of the schools in california has a 5 year waitlist. Are you serious???

My questions are: is it worth me retaking a year's worth of classes? Is the job market saturated in California, or are there still jobs available? (I did a search and found about 6 or 7 jobs in southern cali alone, which isn't bad considering the field I'm in now has NONE.)

Is the ARDMS exam that horrible where nearly 80% of people fail it? I guess what I'm trying to gather here is whether it is worth it for me to go back to school for 3 years to complete a program, assuming I can even get in to Loma Linda, or the other school in LA on my first shot?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

AtlantaAmy in Atlanta, Georgia

77 months ago

I am also interested in this information. I live in the Atlanta GA area. I have a BS in biology and this line of work has always interested me. I've researched some programs here and there are some good schools - at least by appearances.

Anyone out there have any advice on: 1) the job market, 2)which programs are good here in the Atlanta area 3)is it worth getting into this field, or will I just still find myself trained, but still out of a job?

thanks for any input and advice!
Amy

dixie in Boca Raton, Florida

72 months ago

TO HAVE A FAIR CHANCE OF GETTING A JOB MAKE SURE YOU GO TO ACCREDITED PROGRAM AND RENOWNED SCHOOL OR COLLEGE OTHERWISE FORGET IT.!!!!

anne in Apopka, Florida

72 months ago

i went to school for ultrasound at keiser university in florida...great school...its a great job, but i have to warn you its very hard, its not as easy as it looks, most of the time your on your own no doctor to say that you did your exam right and diagnosed the patient correctly...nurses,rad tech,surg tech most all health care employees has a doctor over there shoulders telling them what to do..not ut techs...or what keiser calls you ..sonographer. the exams in acoustic physics are the hardest...good luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

allesun in Atlanta, Georgia

71 months ago

Amy

I live in Atlanta. Last year I was laid off from Delta and made a career change. I reasearched the schools here and found that only Coosa Valley in Rome, Georgia was CAHEEP accreditied and under 30K....stay away from Stanford Brown.
Anyway, since I would have to commute over an hour each day from classes (plus there is a one year waiting period) I decided to move in with my mom for a year and go to school in Mobile, Al.
I graduated 3 weeks ago with a certificate in Cardiac Sonography.
I can't get anyone to respond to my resume or call me back.

I have talked to recruiter and they have said ATL is a tough market because of all the schools here. If you are willing to relocate to the boonies of Kentucky....you might get a job.

TaraNC in Lenoir, North Carolina

71 months ago

allesun in Atlanta, Georgia said: Amy

I live in Atlanta. Last year I was laid off from Delta and made a career change. I reasearched the schools here and found that only Coosa Valley in Rome, Georgia was CAHEEP accreditied and under 30K....stay away from Stanford Brown.
Anyway, since I would have to commute over an hour each day from classes (plus there is a one year waiting period) I decided to move in with my mom for a year and go to school in Mobile, Al.
I graduated 3 weeks ago with a certificate in Cardiac Sonography.
I can't get anyone to respond to my resume or call me back.

I have talked to recruiter and they have said ATL is a tough market because of all the schools here. If you are willing to relocate to the boonies of Kentucky....you might get a job.

Dont you need more than a certificate? Here in NC you cant even get into the Cardiac or Echo programs without having your RDMS first. Most the jobs I see require a two year allied health degree and a CAHEEP accredited school. Maybe thats the problem? Community colleges are pretty cheap compared to others.

Tara

Tex Cat in Houston, Texas

71 months ago

Tara,

If you have a bachelor's degree or an allied health degree already, some schools will accept you for their Advanced Technical Certificate program. It is basically the same as getting an associates in sonography because you already have your bachelor's or allied health associates degree. This is the case with the program I am looking into. Since I already have my BS in Health, I just need to take Physics and I will have all the prereqs for the advanced certificate. Then I will be able to sit for the RDMS immediately upon graduating from the program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Richele in Altoona, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

In my opinion, if you are willing to relocate you may be able to find a job, it all depends on the area you live in and the need for ultrasound techs in your area. Also, most facilities require you to be ARDMS certified within a year or so. So getting your ARDMS is very helpful in finding a job. It makes you much more attractive to employers if you are certified.

Layed off and burned out in Los Angeles, California

70 months ago

The field is flooded I'm a two year tech, there are schools everywhere churning out students like there is no tomorow when even the largest hospitols have only 10 - 12 full time employees for a 800+ bed facility. I can not get a job and u can do any exam done in any facility and have experience from both USC and Cedars. Do not listen to the schools it is all bs. I owe sooooo much money and no job to be had. And if u do get a job there is NO job security and the pay us getting lower due to insurance cutting cardiology re-embursment by 40%......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Cytofiend in Redondo Beach, California

70 months ago

Oh wow. That doesn't sound too good. I guess most fields are saturated in so Cal, right? That is where everyone wants to be. At this point I need something else to do with my life and I thought ultrasound would be the ticket. But what is the point of spending the next 3 or 4 years to retake my prereqs and take a 2 year program that costs 40K just to not be able to get a job or have to move to the boonies? I was thinking of moving to NC in the future...I wonder how their job market is? I'm a writer as well, but I definitely can't put all my eggs in THAT basket right now. This is really frustrating!

Richele in Altoona, Pennsylvania

70 months ago

The boonies don't have job openings either, sad to say lol...I am a 2007 grad. and I live in a small town, the closest place I found work is an hour and a half away at a large hospital, and it's only a per diem job, meaning I get 1-2 days per week. I'm not making enough to even really be worth the drive it takes me to get there :/ but at least I have one I guess lol...

atl sc in atlanta, Georgia

67 months ago

Layed off and burned out in Los Angeles, California said: The field is flooded I'm a two year tech, there are schools everywhere churning out students like there is no tomorow when even the largest hospitols have only 10 - 12 full time employees for a 800+ bed facility. I can not get a job and u can do any exam done in any facility and have experience from both USC and Cedars. Do not listen to the schools it is all bs. I owe sooooo much money and no job to be had. And if u do get a job there is NO job security and the pay us getting lower due to insurance cutting cardiology re-embursment by 40%......

Unfortunately, this is the truth!! there are very few job openings especially in echo. I have been employed for over ten years, have been laid off due to economic downsizing and having trouble finding a job. Anyone going to school for ultrasound may want to Rethink this.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.