Ultrasound tech vs. radiology tech

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

mariheartsmarco in Chicago, Illinois

20 months ago

I also am in the same boat. I don't know if I should go into radiology technologist or medical diagnostic sonography? Are there many types of sonography specialties or can an AAS in medical diagnostic sonography cover the best options?if I go for rad tech can it be better to do first and then later sonography?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (145) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

Sarah-RDMS in Los Angeles, California

20 months ago

mariheartsmarco in Chicago, Illinois said: I also am in the same boat. I don't know if I should go into radiology technologist or medical diagnostic sonography? Are there many types of sonography specialties or can an AAS in medical diagnostic sonography cover the best options?if I go for rad tech can it be better to do first and then later sonography?

If you are not sure, I would definitely recommend going into radiology technologist. With radiology technologist, you can specialize into ultrasound, MRI, CT, PET, nuclear medicine, mammo, IR procedures and cardiac cath lab.

Although, rad techs start out making less money, once you specialize you will get paid more than ultrasound. If you just get ultrasound, you cannot specialize into the other modalities. There are not very many other modalities with ultrasound, pretty much just vascular and general/OB. There are other exams like breast and pediatrics but they aren't really a different modality. Those are just other exams that can be done but the department/modality/salary range doesn't really change. With ultrasound, you can pretty much just move into education or administration. You can't really specialize much further.

With that being said, I love ultrasound. I did not do rad tech first because I pretty much knew I only wanted to do ultrasound. However, I do see that is more or less a dead end field in terms of specializing. You can't branch into other modalities like you can with rad tech. Also, with a lot of radiology tech programs, you will get to shadow or see the other modalities. That way you can kind of see what you would be interested in.

Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (239) / No (28) Reply - Report abuse

xboxer in Cactus, Arizona

20 months ago

It's amazing how people pick a career based on what they think they'd like to do, rather than look at the jobs available.
That's why the students are complaining they cannot find jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (65) / No (217) Reply - Report abuse

Cesia7@*****.*** in California

8 months ago

Hi Sarah,

Im actually looking into becoming a Rad. Tech. Im trying to get into the Harbor-UCLA Program at CSDH, but they require volunteer work at a radiology department shadowing a tech. Would you happen to know of any facilities that offer volunteer shadowing techs?

"Sarah-RDMS in Los Angeles, California"]If you are not sure, I would definitely recommend going into radiology technologist. With radiology technologist, you can specialize into ultrasound, MRI, CT, PET, nuclear medicine, mammo, IR procedures and cardiac cath lab .

Although, rad techs start out making less money, once you specialize you will get paid more than ultrasound. If you just get ultrasound, you cannot specialize into the other modalities. There are not very many other modalities with ultrasound, pretty much just vascular and general /OB. There are other exams like breast and pediatrics but they aren't really a different modality. Those are just other exams that can be done but the department/modality/salary range doesn't really change. With ultrasound, you can pretty much just move into education or administration . You can't really specialize much further.

With that being said, I love ultrasound. I did not do rad tech first because I pretty much knew I only wanted to do ultrasound. However, I do see that is more or less a dead end field in terms of specializing. You can't branch into other modalities like you can with rad tech. Also, with a lot of radiology tech programs, you will get to shadow or see the other modalities. That way you can kind of see what you would be interested in.

Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

Miss_E_RDMS in Some City, California

7 months ago

Sorry, I don't know of any actual facilities that would offer that.

However, I would suggest asking the counselors for the Harbor-UCLA program, maybe UCLA would offer some kind of shadowing opportunity at one of their hospitals. You could also call the radiology department of your local hospital and just ask. I know that Loma Linda requires their sonography students to have 8 hours of shadowing which they can obtain at the Loma Linda Hospital.

www.harbor-ucla.org/about/volunteering/volunteer-programs/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cesia7@*****.*** in California

7 months ago

I was able to speak to someone at the school program and already signed up for a program, thank you. I have to commit to a year of volunteer work with them about 250 hours. Would hat help when it comes to rad tech job hunting?

Thank you for your help and advice

-Cesia G.

Miss_E_RDMS in Some City, California said: Sorry, I don't know of any actual facilities that would offer that.

However, I would suggest asking the counselors for the Harbor-UCLA program, maybe UCLA would offer some kind of shadowing opportunity at one of their hospitals. You could also call the radiology department of your local hospital and just ask. I know that Loma Linda requires their sonography students to have 8 hours of shadowing which they can obtain at the Loma Linda Hospital.

www.harbor-ucla.org/about/volunteering/volunteer-programs/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Miss_E_RDMS in Some City, California

7 months ago

Since I am in ultrasound, I have no idea about job hunting for rad techs. Sorry. I would just suggest that you get as much experience as you can and learn everything you can from everyone. :)

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Talia in La Puente, California

5 months ago

Cesia7@*****.*** in California said: I was able to speak to someone at the school program and already signed up for a program, thank you. I have to commit to a year of volunteer work with them about 250 hours. Would hat help when it comes to rad tech job hunting?

Thank you for your help and advice

-Cesia G.

Hey! I am also interested in CSUDH rad program! I read online from harbor that you need 40 hours. is the 250 hours based on when you start the program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.