Ultrasound

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (451 to 491 of 491)
Page:  « First « Previous   7  8  9  10   

Discouraged Liz in Mastic, New York

60 months ago

Wow I just decided ultrasound was something I wanted to do but after reading these posts I am seriously rethinking! I am 31, a single mom and anxious to study hard and get into something I can be paid well for (in less than 4 years). The medical field seems to be the way to go but WHERE in this field is realistic to get hired?! X-ray? Medical Assistant? Ekg? I'm not looking for 80,000 a year I just need to get moving and I'm clueless! Any suggestions? I do not have a degree. Am I kidding myself?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ano in New York, New York

60 months ago

At the moment all medical fields are bursting with students and new graduates. Everyone sees it as the way to go, but hospitals are on hiring freezes, or even putting people on per diem work. X-ray and Ultrasound are saturated in NY. You need to look at your local hospitals and see if they are hiring any new graduates. Call HR and ask them if they have vacancies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

magda in Highland Mills, New York

60 months ago

jamie in Huntington Station, New York said: I went to an accredited school, don't have a batch, and was able to sit for the exam right after school ended. Our school included our internship, so I did 1 year of training in a hospital setting over the 2 years ( more or less) because it was ever other day, 1 day school, one day 8 hours in a clinical setting 5 days a week, everyday in the hospital the summer. I can only speak for myself and my school, and my state. I have no idea if any rules have changed but this was only 2 years ago. Call the ARDMS and tell them where you go and what the rules are after you complete school, they will know for sure and they are very nice people. Good luck!

jamie, what school didi you go to?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ingrid in Hollywood, Florida

60 months ago

Hello everyone, I am meeting up with a Keiser admissions rep on Monday, and was looking over at the prerequisites for sitting into the SPI exam. I just wanted to clear up a doubt, is the keiser (ft lauderdale) DMS program considered A single two-year allied health education program that is patient-care related? Anyone that has graduated or will graduate from the Keiser program does this mean you have to find a place that will hire you and work for a year in order to sit in for the exam? or are you able to take the exam immidiately after you graduate? Because I don't want to make such a big sacrafice to work full time in the evening as a 911 operator, go to school in the morning and raise a 10 month old baby and probably miss everything wonderful he will encounter as he grows for me then not to be able to apply this career because no one wants to hire me because of not having certification aka catch 22. I am highly interested in this career its medical art work in all truth and I love it. I have a BFA in computer animation and sadly I have never been able to use it ... because if you don't have experience no one wants you, hence the catch 22 there, been there done that don't want to go through that again. Thank you everyone. :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jessica AB/NE/OB in Birmingham, Alabama

57 months ago

Just go to the ardms.org website. Click on the tab that says "careers in sonography", then click on "Sonography Education Programs", then it will direct you to a website where you can see all the CAAHEP accredited schools for ultrasound. YOU CAN TAKE THE REGISTRY IF YOU GRADUATE FROM ONE OF THESE SCHOOLS IMMEDIATELY UPON GRADUATiON!!!!! The ARDMS website clearly states that. I feel bad for you people who graduated from a non caahep accredited school. The school should have informed you ahead of time!! That really sucks. Good luck to all of you looking for jobs.

Echo Tech in Springfield, Illinois

57 months ago

Discouraged Liz,

Could you entertain a career in in nursing? There may be a waiting list though, at least there is around here. once you get your RN, you can work almost anywhere. Allied Health fields aren't moving that much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tchauvin in Lafayette, Louisiana

57 months ago

jim in North Hollywood, California said: How is the program coming along at Mtn. State U?

Hi Jim:

It is coming along great. I am in my last few semesters of pre-requistes but doing well. I am in Louisiana and the market here is good so I am hopeful.

How about you?

tchauvin in Lafayette, Louisiana

57 months ago

Jessica AB/NE/OB in Birmingham, Alabama said: Just go to the ardms.org website. Click on the tab that says "careers in sonography", then click on "Sonography Education Programs", then it will direct you to a website where you can see all the CAAHEP accredited schools for ultrasound. YOU CAN TAKE THE REGISTRY IF YOU GRADUATE FROM ONE OF THESE SCHOOLS IMMEDIATELY UPON GRADUATiON!!!!! The ARDMS website clearly states that. I feel bad for you people who graduated from a non caahep accredited school. The school should have informed you ahead of time!! That really sucks. Good luck to all of you looking for jobs.

Jessica:

This is where I started. I read some of the comments on here and I started on the CAAHEP's website to find my accredited school. I even called the ARDMS just to clarify if I attend this school can I sit for the exam and they advised yes. That is how I choose my school which is Mountain State University. It is full blown 4 year major University that just happends to have a completely on-line DMS BA or AS program. I am a sophomore so I have a few years left. Good luck to everyone!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Kimberly Glass in Jackson, Mississippi

56 months ago

Well I went to Sanford Brown Institute in Houston, Texas. This school became CAAHEP accredited while I was there. Nevertheless, I didn't have much luck on finding a job out of school. I already had my LPN degree so I continued to work as a nurse hoping that something would come available. I ended up moving back to MS which has no kind of ultrasound jobs available. I went to Ultrasound school and graduated 2005. It has been 5 years and I haven't had any experience whatsoever. But I am determined to not give up. I now have my ARDMS license and have currently passed the SPI exam and now working on getting RVT license. My plan is to get all three (RDMS,RVT,RDCS). Hopefully something will open for me. I may not have the experience but hopefully getting all the licensures will show how interested I am in this field of work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Kimberly Glass in Jackson, Mississippi

56 months ago

I went to Sanford Brown Institute in Houston, Tx and graduated in 2005. When I graduated, I had a hard time finding a job as well. Most people of course want people with experience. I had my LPN license so I continued to work as a nurse hoping to find someone who would give me an opportunity. Unfortunately, I had to move back to MS which of course made the opportunities even more slim to known. There are no good opportunities in MS. It is now 2010 and it has been 5 years since I've even put my hands on a trasducer ,nevertheless, I still haven't given up. I have passed the registry test for RDMS and I am now studying to take the RVT exam. My plan is to take all 3 registries (RDMS,RVT,RDCS). As a military wife, I'm hoping my next move will lead me to a place that will give me the opportunity to acquire some experience and getting these licenses will show them how much I'm interested in this field.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Inmotion in New Braunfels, Texas

55 months ago

Discouraged Liz,

From all the research I've done in order to find a good career for my girlfriend, it appears that medical lab technicans/technologists, physical therapy assistants, and, of course, registerd nurses are in high demand right now.

We originally thought Ultrasound sounded like a good idea because of the good hourly wages and because the BLS Occupational Outlook Handbook claimed that ultrasound tech job opportunities would be very good. However, the information at the BLS and the information from on the ground workers in the trenches is very contradicting. We've decided not to go in the direction of Ultrasound until the employment picture becomes a little more clear.

I also recommend calling medical staffing agency and hospital personnel management and asking as many questions as they will allow you to in order to get a clearer picture of what the demand for labor. Write these questions down, call employers in your area and see if you can get the information out of them:

1. What specific labor specialty is your hospital/client in highest need of right now?
2. What specialty do you expect to see in high demand in a few years?
3. What markets (cities) do you see as having the highest demand in so-and-so specialty?

Don't listen to education professionals. Their goal is to secure funding for the school by having you graduate their program. They don't give a flying **** if you get a job or not after you graduate. You need to take your life into your own hands and start talking to medical workers who are in the trenches right now. That is the only way to get a clear picture of what's really going on in the job markets.

You might also want to consider moving out of New York to a state like Arizona or Texas, or anywhere there is actual demand for the specialty you choose to pursue. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Inmotion in New Braunfels, Texas

55 months ago

One more thing for those who may think a certain job field is the "way to go". Always remember: the way to go is the way everyone else is not. I highly suggest learning basic economics like I did. It is all about supply and demand people. If you keep hearing that a certain job is the new "hot" career field, that means all your fellow citizen are hearing the same thing. What happens next is that specific labor market gets flooded with excess supply and lower wages and unemployment are the result. If you want a good career, you've got to look where everyone else isn't looking and dig deep.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Gabby MJ in Brentwood, New York

55 months ago

jamie said: Western Suffol Boces

i'm a junior in highschool and i'm looking at going to Western suffolk boces too!! =D...i figured i'd go straight there after highschool but i was reading the prereqs. in the pamphlet and it said that i need a "C" in general physics, algebra, anatomy, and english....Does that mean i have to go to like, suffolk community college first??? i mean i've takin physics, algebra, english, already this year..all honors..except algebra...And i'm taking Anatomy and physiology as a senior???..i'm so lost

Matea in Belgrade, Serbia

55 months ago

Hello,

I need user manual for Toshiba APlio SSA770
Can someone send me on hospital.ag@gmail.com

Melissa in Piscataway, New Jersey

54 months ago

I need to know what the general rule is for taking the ARDMS. Is it true that a graduate of a non-accredited school has to work for one year before they can take the board exam? If that's the case, then all the time and money I wasted was for naught! I feel like I've been duped!

gabs1028 in Brentwood, New York

54 months ago

yup..non-accredited= 1 year of work before taking ARDMS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Newly-Employed Sonographer in San Antonio, Texas

53 months ago

Melissa in Piscataway, New Jersey said: I need to know what the general rule is for taking the ARDMS. Is it true that a graduate of a non-accredited school has to work for one year before they can take the board exam? If that's the case, then all the time and money I wasted was for naught! I feel like I've been duped!

Look into your eligibility for the ARRT Sonography exam. If you can take that (and pass it), you can immediately sit for the ARDMS.

Good luck!

gisele Mockiuti in Riverside, California

50 months ago

Hi im gonna sit for my Abd exam in 2 weeks.im panicking just a bit on some information. I was wondering for those who just took the exam, or for those studying for it, if you can help me figure out on "Displacements''. For example:
IVC displacements...if theres a liver mass IVC will be displaced Posteriorly, another one: 'if theres a left adrenal mass Splenic vein will be Displaced Anteriorly and etc.
I need to be able to understand it. so if anyone would help, it would be greatly appreciated.
My email is: gibrasil@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Staper in Ville Platte, Louisiana

50 months ago

gisele Mockiuti in Riverside, California said: Hi im gonna sit for my Abd exam in 2 weeks.im panicking just a bit on some information. I was wondering for those who just took the exam, or for those studying for it, if you can help me figure out on "Displacements''. For example:
IVC displacements...if theres a liver mass IVC will be displaced Posteriorly, another one: 'if theres a left adrenal mass Splenic vein will be Displaced Anteriorly and etc.
I need to be able to understand it. so if anyone would help, it would be greatly appreciated.
My email is: gibrasil@gmail.com

Talking from a pathology view, Displacement (pushed aside / not in the normal place) of the IVC or the splenic vein could be a big help in diagnosing the pathology. First "displacement" just means pushed aside in laymans terms. So if you are scanning and the IVC looks like it is farther back from your transducer or the liver (posteriorly) then you think "why is the IVC pushed back (posterior). You would think Liver mass. For the splenic vein, if it is not in the normal place or closer to the transducer you would think" what is making the splenic vein closer or more anterior?" The adrenal gland mass would push the splenic vein out of its normal anatomical position. Remember anterior means closer to the belly button... Posterior means closer to the spine. What is caudal and cephalic? hope this helps.

Staper in Ville Platte, Louisiana

50 months ago

Melissa in Piscataway, New Jersey said: I need to know what the general rule is for taking the ARDMS. Is it true that a graduate of a non-accredited school has to work for one year before they can take the board exam? If that's the case, then all the time and money I wasted was for naught! I feel like I've been duped!

This comment not intended to offend anyone (after reading some of the arguments on here I feel I need to give that disclosure). The reason for the strict rules from the ARDMS is due to the level importance of scanning. IF YOU DO NOT SEE IT THEN NO ONE WILL. The schools that are not accredited may OR MAY NOT follow what the ARDMS believes is a strong educational background for that responsibility. Passing a test does not mean you can notice that cystic hygroma, spinal bifida, small omphalocele. What about that mass in the dome of the liver , dissection or the renal mass that hangs off the lower pole of the kidney. When you ask a patient their symptoms you need to know how to correlate what they are felling with possible pathology that you are looking for. Knowledge and Experience is the key. In one year of learning and not scanning 40 hours a week it is not unheard of not to be able to take the registry. We (even you that want to take the registry) do not want our field to resemble what the nursing field does. There is a huge pay difference between a Registered nurse and a LPN or a nurses aid. So do not expect to go to a year school and think that is all you need to be a ultrasonographer. Believe you need more education and experience. If you have already went to the school and paid for it. Well learn from your lesson. Be grateful you have a starting foundation and rethink your strategy to accomplish your goal. That will also make you a better employee if you can problem solve.

49 months ago

Hi Staper, this is Gisele the girl who asked to help with anatomy 'Displacements" and stuff...just wanted to say thank you
it really helped. i passed my boards! :-) have a good day!

49 months ago

Hey for those of you who are wondering if the Abd. Exam has been updated, i can't recall, because it was not much diff. from the last one. And also good luck for everyone who takes this exam. and just remember to study, study, study...that is really the key for success! ;-)

right on in Madison, Wisconsin

49 months ago

Inmotion in New Braunfels, Texas said: One more thing for those who may think a certain job field is the "way to go". Always remember: the way to go is the way everyone else is not. I highly suggest learning basic economics like I did. It is all about supply and demand people. If you keep hearing that a certain job is the new "hot" career field, that means all your fellow citizen are hearing the same thing. What happens next is that specific labor market gets flooded with excess supply and lower wages and unemployment are the result. If you want a good career, you've got to look where everyone else isn't looking and dig deep.

This is the smartest statement I have read in along time. Thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dot42 in Cedar Lake, Indiana

49 months ago

I am at such a loss as to what to study for the adult echo. Failed it by 10 last time and I thought I knew the material. Someone told me to get pegasuius tapes. What book though? I did study out of davies but does anybody know of an adult review book. I have Terry Reynolds but it is the old book. Help!!!!

hellokitty in Downey, California

49 months ago

my friended studied the book called adult echocardiography by david b.adams and mike foster . also he studied from the site called criticalecho.com. hope this helps

May in San Antonio, Texas

46 months ago

shae said: I am so frustrated with my job search. I attended an accredited ultrasound program. I graduated 5 months ago and I have already passed the SPI, abdomen, ob/gyn and vascular registries. And I still can't get anyone to hire me without experience. What a waste of time. I don't know how I'm suppose to get experience if no one will give me a chance. I regret going into ultrasound, should have done nursing and I'd be working right now. I feel like I have wasted so much time, money and energy trying to do the right thing and get all my registries and I still don't have a job.[/QUOTE

I'm so sorry to hear that.I also have hard time to find a job either in San Antonio or Baton Rouge.I passed SPI ,OB/GYN and I scheduled to take Vascular in April.I feel the same way as you do.And I'm worrying that I might still can't get a job as a sonographer even if I pass Vascular.I hope not.I was a radiation therapist for over 7 years outside the country.And I moved here because of married.But I don't have experience in this field.Have you gotten the job as an Ultrasound tech yet?? I hope so..

Good luck!!

Aisha in Springfield, Virginia

38 months ago

I am looking into a DMS program and no school in my area is caahep accredited, what are my options?
should I just finish my associates in DMS and hope somehow i can get a year experience to give my ARDMS.. I really want to do DMS program but I cant find a way to go to accredited school. what do people do when they have nothing in their area and cant go far from home.?

Vadim in Surrey, British Columbia

35 months ago

Hello everyone!
I lost key to my CD DAVIES "Abdomen Q&A Review for the ARDMS Specialty Examination". Does anyone can help me, and provide the lost key?
I have quite a big library of books and CDs in radiology, so if you need something,I can exchange. Even if I haven't some book, I can help to find it.
Thanks in advance.
My email: " chach.v@gmail.com"

han in Satellite Provider

34 months ago

I would like to know where to find a job im the ultrasound field in the area of Texaas... Thanxs

jobless sono tech in Dallas, Texas

34 months ago

I can't find anything I have applied everywhere. They want someone with at least year experience, RDMS ABD and RVT. I'm only OB and I haven't had my first job yet so they keep telling me no. :( good luck to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

SAM in Buffalo, New York

30 months ago

I cant afford to fail abdomen that im scheduled to take in July, I only get one shot than I can lose my job! I need help. Has anyone took it recently and have any notes, it would be greatly appreciated...thanks

clarinet1229 in Brooklyn, New York

29 months ago

Hey. Does anyone have any recommendations on resources to us to pass the ARDMS Adult Echo registry? I've taken it twice and have been unsuccessful so far. any ideas?

clarinet1229 in Brooklyn, New York

29 months ago

SAM in Buffalo, New York said: I cant afford to fail abdomen that im scheduled to take in July, I only get one shot than I can lose my job! I need help. Has anyone took it recently and have any notes, it would be greatly appreciated...thanks

try using the yellow appleton and lange review book (it has all the specialities not just abd). or Davies review CD it has custom tests you can use in either test or learn mode.

padma in Troy, Michigan

24 months ago

Hi
few months ago i lost my job because i was not registered.I got registered recently but i couldn't find at least contingent job. Please if anybody knows any positions available in detroit area please let me know. Now i am registered in Abdomen,Ob/Gyn and physics

patty in Sterling Heights, Michigan

23 months ago

I am so frustrated with job search. I kept applying but no replies from anybody not even an interview. I heard that only recommendations work. I am really worried although i have experience i couldn't find job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marissa in Los Angeles, California

18 months ago

Does anyone know what size needle is used for breast biopsies???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

khnaseerahmad@hotmail.com in Toronto, Ontario

13 months ago

I am going to appear in SPI Physics exam . if some one has steven edeleman book for
physics and instrumentation and Mcqs material please contact me at khnaseerahmad@hotmail.com.
Thanks
Naseer

Infoforyou in Fenton, Missouri

13 months ago

ALBY in Oceanside, California said: NO! THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN TAKE THE ARDMS RIGHT AFTER GRADUATE IS IF YOU HAVE A "B.A" OTHERWISE YOU MUST WORK A AT LEAST 32 HOURS A WEEK FOR THE FOLLOWING YEAR AND KEEP IN MIND THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE YOUR EXTERNSHIP,ONCE YOUR COMPLETED A YEAR YOU CAN TAKE YOUR EXAM.HOPE IT ALL WORKS OUT FOR YA!

NO.... there is a list of prerequisites to qualify to sit for ARDMS registry exams. This can be found on the ARDMS website. One of them is a two year degree from a program that is recognized by an accredited program. CAAHEP is one of those accrediting bodies. ABHES is another. another option is "x" amount of course hours and one year of on the job work experience with a signed form from an ARDMS registerd person. It is ultimately the individuals responsibility to research eligibility requirements for anh registry or license exam, including possible state requirements. Also looking into which credentials a hiring hospital accepts is important. For example, if you are already a registered X-Raybtech, that credentialing body offers sonography exams as well. The thing to do is find oug if the hospital perfers that one or the ARDMS and then look at the eligibilty requirements. For cardiac sonography, there is another credentialing option as well...that is CCI.

zack in Saint Louis, Missouri

8 months ago

HI

After reading all the threads here its discouraging. Since,everyone here is knowledgeable about Allied Health I was wondering if there is another field that is up and coming that you would recommend over US.

thanks

z

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

ray in Northridge, California

8 months ago

zack in Saint Louis, Missouri said: HI

After reading all the threads here its discouraging. Since,everyone here is knowledgeable about Allied Health I was wondering if there is another field that is up and coming that you would recommend over US.

thanks

z

Every field in healthcare is saturated. But avoid ultrasound for sure, trust me. Just not worth the $$$. Good luck.

Liana in Napavine, Washington

7 months ago

Current job opening in Chehalis, WA for a per diem ultrasound tech. Must be available to work every Friday and cover any vacation days. Starting June 27th. This job is located at a medical center in Chehalis. You will be working independently doing general, ob/gyn, small parts, and vascular studies. Must be able to interpret images and generate a report for the radiologist to read.

Please email me with your resume and any questions. I will forward to my manager.

Thank you

Page:  « First « Previous   7  8  9  10   

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.