Ultrasound

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 479)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

Christine in Houston, Texas

120 months ago

Mandy in Houston, Texas said: Yes, you can take the test the day you finish if your school is accredited. Having your RDMS is a must, but hospitals will generally hire you with the understanding you will be registered in one year. If you don't get it they will let you go.

Hi Mandy,

I am thinking about going back to school to get my ultrasound tech certification, what school did you go to in Houston?

Christine

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

Kim in Saint Paul, Minnesota

120 months ago

I'm in one of the local programs here in the Twin Cities that is accredited. I have read many of the comments above and it appears that this can be a very difficult field to enter. I got interested in it because I have a friend who's husband is an ultrasound tech and loves it. I just got off the phone interviewing ultrasound techs and/or supervisors of 5 heart clinics/or hospitals that do echocardio ultrasounds and 1 general. 5 of the 6 people I interviewed had negative things to say about the job market for new grads. I felt kind of safe in the fact that I have almost 20 years of healthcare experience (10 of which were involved with direct patient care in a medical clinic as a chiropractor) so I might have a edge up on landing a job if you were to consider patient interaction, charting, interacting with physicians, writing reports, recognizing pathology on x-rays etc... But even with that experience, the people I inteviewed really didn't think that mattered as much as experience doing the ultrasound scanning itself. I was told ultrasound is a small community that is difficult to get your foot into the door. One ultrasound supervisor said that one of the ways a place will structure an interview is to have you do 2 to 3 hours of scanning to see if you have the skills. So if you don't have any hands on experience you are SOL.
Here is my advice:
1. Look online with monster.com or hotjobs. com, or google Ultraound jobs. This will let you know how many jobs out there exist and what the requirements are. I was supprised to see very few jobs posted within a 2 month period. There were less than 5.
2. Interview people in the profession by calling up a clinic and just say that you are an enrolled student to do an informational interview with the ultrasound supervisor. These are the people that hire ultrasound techs. I was happy that everyone I talked to was very honest and open and willing to give advice.
3. Go to an accredited program.

Reply - Report abuse

Christine in Houston, Texas

120 months ago

Thank you for the advise.

Christine

Reply - Report abuse

michael in Glen Ellyn, Illinois

120 months ago

Kim, I agree with you and also believe that the ultrasound field is somewhat saturated already. But as far as the job outlook is concerned, according to my intstructors a lot of times clinical sites will employ the ultrasound students that they have immediatly after they graduate. I believe that is one reason that such web sites as monster.com have such few job openings; instead of the hospitals posting an open position, they will hire the student that they have basically trained and observed for "x" amount of months (if the student is good, that is).

Reply - Report abuse

Shannon Reid in Huntsville, Alabama

120 months ago

Noell in Desert Hot Springs, California said: I have been done with school for 4 months...I had an "in" with someone to hook me up with my internship...I completed that. Now there are "too many tech's" so I dont have my spot saved...bla bla bla all I know is there are alot of job's out there for this field...but they all seem untouchable! I do not have my BA and the school I attended is not accredited. I went there do to the finacial discount and the quickness of graduation. Now I am in limbo woundering what I can do? I feel I need more experience with scanning and the over all field. I am slowly forgetting all I learned. If anyone has any suggestions I am open.

Seems to be the problem in alot of areas these days. programs are being created, non- accreditied ( to make money with disregard to the market), and the amount of people with sonography degreees have increased. Just get your resume out everywhere and keep your ears open to prospects. I'm in a BSN nursing program now after seven years of it ha!Good luck!

Reply - Report abuse

dummy in Sierra Vista, Arizona

120 months ago

I'm kind of in the same boat after getting ripped off by a college who didn't didn't do what they promised in order for me to get my DMS degree (Jackson Community College in Michigan...what a rip off). At least I took most of my prereqs locally for the degree and the college here is accredited so I can use my credits for their nursing program. I know there are real jobs out there for nurses, even if the graduate is just starting out. Maybe something for you to consider? I plan on getting a certificate in u.s. after I earn my RN. I won't give up on my passion for the field; there's just been a huge road block for me, too. Don't give up!

Reply - Report abuse

120 months ago

Thanks,

I think the recurrent theme here is that you have a better chance with this field if you get into an accredited program.

I have to decide today if I want to go into the echocardio program or the general program that also includes vascular technology. On one side I am hearing that if a male goes into the general program it is unlikely he would be hired since it would require a chaperone in the room with a female for breast and pelvic evaluations. Since that stretches staff, men are at a disadvantage in entering that part of the field. On the other side I am hearing that echocardio ultrasound is a very tight close knit community here in the Twin Cities with only jobs being filled by experienced people switching around and playing salaries and work flexibility about.

Do you have any thoughts about which program might be a better fit for a 42 year old male?

Kim

Reply - Report abuse

dummy in Sierra Vista, Arizona

120 months ago

Search your heart to find where your passion really lies. Follow the path that gets you excited; the jobs will come. You don't want to find yourself wishing you were scanning something else more interesting to you. There will always be a future for both. Follow your heart!

Reply - Report abuse

Stacy in Saint Petersburg, Florida

120 months ago

Sheena in Riverview, Florida said: sorry for the long post - just frustrated and venting a little - i appreciate any help or advice anyone has to offer. I live in tampa, Fl and if anyone knows of a good accredited school around here i'd appreciate it. I just don't want to waste $30K or more and not be able to use the skills or sit for th ARDMS.

I'm currently attenting CFI, the Diagnostic Medical Ultrasound (DMS) program. I'm 10 months in and will be starting my externship in March. CFI's Echo program is already CAAHEP certified. The DMS program is new but they are in the process of establishing CAAHEP certification. However, one class has to graduate before they will approve. Luckily the Day class will finish before the Night class, therefore it will meet the requirements for our class. From what the director has told our class, we are well on our way and should know by next June. Our class doens't graduated until Octobe '08. The school is in Palm Harbor and we have students who drive from as far North as Citrus County and as far south as Sarasota. No one complains, just kind of accept it, plus some car pool. Good luck with your quest.

Reply - Report abuse

Shannon in Huntsville, Alabama

120 months ago

I actually do have some insight on this since i have travelled some and stayed near home also. Echocardiography is the most sought out position in our field. i could have three jobs in my saturated area of three ultrasound schools. The pay is the highest since its the reimbursements are around 1300.00 a scan. 35/hr. depending on your city. i know several men that do this and enjoy it. just a thought!

Reply - Report abuse

Roxie in Houston, Texas

120 months ago

I am scared now from reading all the blogs I don't
think I am interested in Sonography anymore,can anyone tell me about HCC-medical center who attended there I read a lot of SB and I do think they try to rush you into their programs as if they are money hungry. Im thankful to everyone for
the information on Sonography,you have open my eyes.

Reply - Report abuse

Ines in Miami, Florida

120 months ago

Me too. Resons not to do it are as follow:

-Full time for 2 years...in Miami...you have to attend school during the day. Loosing over 50 grands on my current salary.

-I could do it at Keiser...not too good I heard and invest 39 grands.

-You have to study hard and pass the exam.

-Jobs don't grow on trees. It seems you have to have connections or something.

Perhaps it is best to think of another career.

Any suggestions?

Reply - Report abuse

120 months ago

I think that any profession or endeavor that yields a goal or reward requires that you work hard and even sacrifice. Yes studying hard for an exam is required. This profession as any wants to hire the best. You need to consider this with any program you go into. Unfortunately networking is an essential for getting a job in any profession (sometimes its better who you know than what you know or how highly educated you are). I believe this is unfair and we have all fallen victim to this in one form or another. I don’t have any suggestions for you on what profession to go into. If you are looking to go the easiest and cheapest route (the path of least resistance) it is unlikely you will make it in any professional or technical career when there are others who are either more committed or more qualified. I guess I would suggest that you look at what you have a passion for and commit yourself.

Reply - Report abuse

Stacy in Palm Harbor, Florida

120 months ago

I like the school, it has its hiccups but I've also attended UDS(now Kaiser)for the Echocardiography progamwhich had it's quirks too. Overall, it's very accelerated, they have nice equipment AND you graduate with your AS, which is pretty good, I don't know if Kaiser offers that. Go for it! I love it and can't wait to get back into the field! Very rewarding not to mention lucrative.
Good Luck!

Reply - Report abuse

Stacy in Palm Harbor, Florida

120 months ago

Will do! Trust me when I say my entire class is sacrificing but it's almost over for us. 5 months until we go out on our externship!

Reply - Report abuse

LAYLA in Hollywood, Florida

120 months ago

I actually did the Sonography program at Keiser! My boyfriend did the Radiography program and the school is a bit expensive, but it was awesome!! Hey, you get what you paid for!!

Reply - Report abuse

LAYLA in Hollywood, Florida

120 months ago

Sheena, I saw that you asked how much the program was at Keiser. If I am not mistaken, I believe it was almost 38,000. But they are great with the loans and financial aid. It's worth it, I was able to sit for the registry as soon as I graduated and I found a job with a hospital 3 months before I graduated. It may be different for you if you are not in So. Florida. I did the program at the Ft. Lauderdale campus and their tuition always changes. Hope this helps to anyone interested in going to Keiser!! Keep in mind that the school must be CAAHEP! If it is not, then you might as well just not even go to school for anything in Ultrasound. The ARDMS is very picky with that. You may be able to find a job, but be prepared to wait a while before getting registered.

Reply - Report abuse

susan in Venice, Florida

120 months ago

i am wondering how hard going to school for this job is?? i am really thinking about starting in january and am really confused after reading some of the info. that you guys are talking about... please help...
susan

Reply - Report abuse

AR in Patchogue, New York

119 months ago

What comments are you confused about?

School so far isn't easy but it's certainly not so difficult (yet) that I can't get through the classes(but then again I have just started this fall in Cardiovascular Technology) We're doing Invasive Cardiac right now.

Go to a CAAHEP accredited program and if this is really what you want to do you will get through fine. I think depending on where you live will dtermine the amount of jobs available to you. In the northeast there seems to be quite a few openings, especially in echo and vascular. And if you do well at your clinical sites, they may well offer you a position when you've completed your program. I know a few techs that were hired through their clinical sites. My instructors work in the field and one is the head of the Vascular Dept. at a very large hospital in NY, and they are short techs. Hopefully someone in our class who decides to specialize in Vasc. will be offered a position there. It's like alot of other jobs you have to network. Our program Director goes all of the country to seminars, etc. and gets emails from places looking for recent graduates.

I'm not sure if this info helps you or not....good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Reply - Report abuse

Chrissy in Saint Augustine, Florida

119 months ago

I just stumbled upon this forum, and I am so glad I did! Has anyone attended or have heard anything about St. Vincent's Diagnostic Medical Sonography program? It is the closest CAAHEP school to me, but I have not heard anything about it. Any input would be awesome!

Reply - Report abuse

phillygirl in philadelphia, Pennsylvania

119 months ago

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to know if anyone out there know of any Ultra Sound schools in Philly?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Noemi in Great Neck, New York

119 months ago

HI,

Is anyone in this forum attending boces? How is their program and how difficult is to get into it?

Thanks
Noemi

Reply - Report abuse

Jay T. in Austin, Texas

119 months ago

Can anyone speak on behalf of Virginia College in Austin, Tx or Birmingham,AL. Is their school worth it, and is it a trap. I do know they are not accredited and you must wait a year after graduation to take your registry, I think. I do have a B.S., but would just like to take on the program if it has a good outcome.

Reply - Report abuse

SARAA in Clermont, Florida

118 months ago

I WANT TO ATTEND ULTRA SOUND SCHOOL AND I'M IN ORLANDO IS THERE ANY GOOD SCHOOL IN MY AREA?

Reply - Report abuse

Sandra in Los Angeles, California

118 months ago

I HAD NO IDEA THAT ALL THESE SCAMS WERE GOING ON...I SEEK TO BECOME AN ULTRASOUND TECHNICIAN AND ONE OF THE SCHOOLS THAT I WOULD LIKE TO GO TO IS MARIC COLLEGE HERE IN NORTH HOLLYWOOD AND IS ACCREDITED BY Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges of Technology (ACCSCT) AND ARE LICENSED TO OPERATE BY Bureau for Private Postsecondary and Vocational Education (BPPVE)...DOES THAT COUNT???

DOES THIS ONLY APPLY FOR SONOGRAPHY OR ALL HEALTH CAREERS???
SOMEONE PLZ TELL ME!!!!

Reply - Report abuse

sandra in Los Angeles, California

118 months ago

IM SO SCARE NOW OF DOIN THIS...IM DEBATIN IF TO DO LVN OR ULTRASOUND TECH N SERIOUSLY I LIKE BOTH BUT THE WHOLE SONOGRAPHY THING IS SCARING ME!!! PLZ SOMEONE HELP ME!!! I DID NOT KNOW NONE OF THIS THINGS WERE GOIN ON!!! HELP SOMEONE!!! IM SO SCARE NOW!!! I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!

Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Houston, Texas

118 months ago

Sandra,

Maric College in north Hollywood isn't accredited by the agency that matters in Ultrasound, which is CAAHEP. They will tell you that they are in the process of trying to become accredited by CAAHEP, but they have been saying that for many years. The program is also crammed with more students than they can handle. In both there ultrasond program as well as there RT program. They also will tell you things like the registry is a "club", and it doesn't matter to employment. That is a lie. It's possible to find work without graduating from a CAAHEP approved program, but not only is it extremely difficult to find work, it's also going to pay you far less than a registry sonographer.

If you were going to go to a school that wasn't CAAHEP approved, there are far better schools like Westcoast Ultrasound school, etc. That have better reputations.

Maric College is possibly the biggest mistake I made in my life. I wasn't there for Ultrasound, but it was a huge and costly mistake for the program I was there for. I'd suggest staying away.

Reply - Report abuse

sandra in Los Angeles, California

118 months ago

Scott in Houston, Texas said: Sandra,

Maric College in north Hollywood isn't accredited by the agency that matters in Ultrasound, which is CAAHEP. They will tell you that they are in the process of trying to become accredited by CAAHEP, but they have been saying that for many years. The program is also crammed with more students than they can handle. In both there ultrasond program as well as there RT program. They also will tell you things like the registry is a "club", and it doesn't matter to employment. That is a lie. It's possible to find work without graduating from a CAAHEP approved program, but not only is it extremely difficult to find work, it's also going to pay you far less than a registry sonographer.

If you were going to go to a school that wasn't CAAHEP approved, there are far better schools like Westcoast Ultrasound school, etc. That have better reputations.

Maric College is possibly the biggest mistake I made in my life. I wasn't there for Ultrasound, but it was a huge and costly mistake for the program I was there for. I'd suggest staying away.

Scott,

Thank you...yea well i messed up already because i first said i wanted to do ultrasound but they told me i needed to become a Medical Assistant so i enrolled and i have 4 months to go to finish but later i found out that u didnt need MA in other schools for ultrasound...but in a way is good im doin MA first because if I would of just enrolled in Ultrasound I would've thrown a lot of money in the trash...I'm so bummed now...But I was planning on doin LVN but at another school because I know they're really bad and expensive...They messed my friend's career up and well she didnt get certified as MA...If you dont mind me asking what is it exactly that happened to you???

Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Houston, Texas

118 months ago

sandra in Los Angeles, California said: Scott,
They messed my friend's career up and well she didnt get certified as MA...If you dont mind me asking what is it exactly that happened to you???

It's a long story. But basically I can say that I was directly lied to by the former director of the Radiology Tech program (Barbra Coxx, she was "let go" very quickly after my situation ended), My instructor (Joyce Cohen, who was the former director of the RT program), and the school's president (Mark Newman).

Even with a near 4.0 GPA, promises from all levels of the schools managenemt and rank, in the end myself and one other student was left out to dry for something they promised would never happen. I ended up wasting roughly 20k in expenses.

Out of fear that they would tamper with my transcripts, I never filed a report or law suit. (I needed those transcripts to get into the program I'm in now, and I would not have been surprised to see them discard or delete them). That is how little I think of their integrety and loyality.

On my last day of the program, as I was leaving I had to get signatures from Mrs. Coxx, and even she said she didn't blame me and my friend for going from what happened to us. I'm pretty sure that's party the reason she didnt work there long after me, because she didn't seem to feel right about how things ended up at the time. But who knows?

As for the LVN program, I don't know much about it. What I can tell you is beware of waiting lists. They will tell you it's months, where in reality it can reach over a year. The reps there are used car sales men. And will tell you anything to get a sale.

Good luck with your choice, I'd recommend shopping around. There is a reason they are not regiestered with the BBB.

Reply - Report abuse

Sibi in Houston, Texas

118 months ago

Hi Scott,

I had got your reply.I want to know other that Sanford Brown Institute in Houston,is there any other accredited schools for DMS which would be less expensive.As you told it will cost me 36K,that is a bit too much.I've already fixed an appointment with Sanford Brown for this coming Saturday so,guys in general give your experiances and suggestions about this collge.Do they have placement,how soon can I find a job once I complete this Program.

Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Houston, Texas

118 months ago

Sibi in Houston, Texas said: Hi Scott,

I had got your reply.I want to know other that Sanford Brown Institute in Houston,is there any other accredited schools for DMS which would be less expensive.As you told it will cost me 36K,that is a bit too much.I've already fixed an appointment with Sanford Brown for this coming Saturday so,guys in general give your experiances and suggestions about this collge.Do they have placement,how soon can I find a job once I complete this Program.

I believe Houston community college has an ARDMS approved Sonography program. Only problem is getting into it. Normally they have difficult requirements that are hard to meet, because of the competition. Some community colleges have wait lists that work on a first come first serve, but none in Houston that I'm aware of.

In reality, when you live in a big city like Houston you got to count on it taking at least a few years to get into a program normally. Thats why people sometimes decide that it's better to start now, and work sooner than wait. Thats why the money difference between vocational schools and CC are so different.

Reply - Report abuse

LaShanda in Houston, Texas

118 months ago

Stacy in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: I'm currently attenting CFI, the Diagnostic Medical Ultrasound (DMS) program. I'm 10 months in and will be starting my externship in March. CFI's Echo program is already CAAHEP certified. The DMS program is new but they are in the process of establishing CAAHEP certification. However, one class has to graduate before they will approve. Luckily the Day class will finish before the Night class, therefore it will meet the requirements for our class. From what the director has told our class, we are well on our way and should know by next June. Our class doens't graduated until Octobe '08. The school is in Palm Harbor and we have students who drive from as far North as Citrus County and as far south as Sarasota. No one complains, just kind of accept it, plus some car pool. Good luck with your quest.

Hi, Stacy my name is LaShanda and i have just spoken to an Advisor at CFI, is that a good school? I don't want to apply to anything that has a bad name and alot of places will not hire you depending on what school you went too. Does CFI have a good name or foundation as far as complaints or job placements. I also have a concern about the entrance exam is it the CPAT hard, and i was told by the advisor after the CPAT exam, there is another exam to take & a written essay. Basically the top scores are excepted. Please give me some clarity on this school since you are actually attending and i am seriously thinking about enrolling.

Reply - Report abuse

Chrissy in Saint Augustine, Florida

118 months ago

I am in FL and I am thinking about Santa Fe Community College, they are in Gainesville. Anyone heard anything, If you are a FL resident it is around $4500. That seems like a great price, but I don't know about their credentials??

Reply - Report abuse

Sandra in Los Angeles, California

118 months ago

Good luck with your choice, I'd recommend shopping around. There is a reason they are not regiestered with the BBB.

Scott,
Well thank you for this information. It took a lot of thought and tears to figure what to do with my life but a finally made the decision of just finishing the MA program then enroll into a community college in the summer of 08 and after two years transfer to a university. I was thinkin of going for RN just because I atleast have a lot of the basics down but after all this disappointment I really don't want to stay in the medical field.

The only thing that has me kind of bummed out is that I might not be able to work as MA because I plan to go to school in the morning and I hear MA is more of a day job. So a yr of my life and 6000$ will go down the drain.

Reply - Report abuse

Stacy in Saint Petersburg, Florida

118 months ago

Hi LaShanda,
So far I like the school, we're about 3 1/2 months from going out on our externship. I can't really speak on job placement since we are one of the first DMS classes (evening), the other is the Day class, they just started their clinicals. Our school does have a good reputation with local hospitals for their other programs, one being their Echocardiography, in which they are already CAAHEP certified. They are in the process of applying for certification for the DMS progress but one class has to graduate first (day class.

AS for the CPAT, you can Google CPAT and take a sample test it's not bad, neither is the other test. The essay is based on why you want to attend CFI.

Hope this is helpful.

Reply - Report abuse

118 months ago

Stacy in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: Hi LaShanda,
So far I like the school, we're about 3 1/2 months from going out on our externship. I can't really speak on job placement since we are one of the first DMS classes (evening), the other is the Day class, they just started their clinicals. Our school does have a good reputation with local hospitals for their other programs, one being their Echocardiography, in which they are already CAAHEP certified. They are in the process of applying for certification for the DMS progress but one class has to graduate first (day class.

AS for the CPAT, you can Google CPAT and take a sample test it's not bad, neither is the other test. The essay is based on why you want to attend CFI.

Hope this is helpful.

Hi Stacy,

Thanks for answering my question. I have just been hearing so many bad stories about programs that are not accredited which makes your job placement hard. From what i hear if you have taken your registry (ARDMS) its make you more marketable vs. you having to work 1 year in order to take the exam. So Stacy what about the courses or program i heard it is really hard and faced paced. Are the instructors pretty good and teaching you exactly what you will need to succeed out there? As far as the CPAT test, i have never been that good in Math, and i know that the school only excepts 15 students so i know it is based on the best test scores. So what is the other test besides the CPAT? I told myself if i decide to go to this school i will just have to practice, get some examples from online and pray that i can get a good score. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks,
LaShanda

Reply - Report abuse

118 months ago

Hi Stacy, this is LaShanda again.I noticed that you mentioned in your previous remarks that you went to Keiser for Echocardiography. So did you complete your course of an Echo tech & is it easy. I have thought about specializing in Echo but i don't know if it is better to do General Ultrasound first and then go back and specialize. That way i can continue my education and have more credential, then the more money i should make? Is that true, am i making any sense on this? Please give me your input since you have already done Echocariography.
Thanks!
LaShanda

Reply - Report abuse

Lys

118 months ago

Sandra in Spring, Texas said: I just finished Ultrasound school in Jan. and I have not been able to find a job in Houston. The feedback I am getting is that I need to have one year experience and your clinical does not count. If no experience you must be registered. I went to a school that was not CAAHEP recognized so I would have to wait a year (working) to be able to take the registry, but I can't get a job because I don't have "experience". I really stuck! I have tried everything to get a job and no one cares!.

Sandra, I went through the same thing. Put your resume out on Monster and Career Builder.com and HOPEFULLY someone will give you a chance. My boss did. Granted, I had to move, but I did it for the job, just to get in the door. GOOD LUCK!

Lys

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

118 months ago

Lys said: Sandra, I went through the same thing. Put your resume out on Monster and Career Builder.com and HOPEFULLY someone will give you a chance. My boss did. Granted, I had to move, but I did it for the job, just to get in the door. GOOD LUCK!

Lys

Hi Lys,
My name is LaShanda i live in Houston. What school did you attend and was it accredited? I have thought about relocating just to go to an accredited program. But at the same time i have thought about going to the Academy of Health Care professions here in Houston for the DMS program. Their school is accredited but not their program but you do get your A.S degree which means you have to work for 1 year before you take your registry. Everyone i have spoken with that has went to this school has had placement and from what i hear this school has 100% placement. The jobs give you a year to take your ARDMS. So i am starting to think it all just depends on what city and state you live in. The program can be accredited or not i think some people luck up. You have some people who are regesiterd with their ARDMS and can't find a job. So i am starting to think everything has it's quirks, and you just have to take a chance. So i am really starting to just think about tending this program here in Houston and just pray about it. I already told myself if i have to Volunteer after completion unitl i find a job, i will do that and that will make me more marketable and i won't loose my skills. Please give me some input on this, i am some what confused.
Thanks,
Shanda

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Lys

118 months ago

Hello Shanda,

I went to the Sanford Brown Institute (Formerly Ultrasound Diagnostic School) in Garden City, NY. It was NOT accredited, and it was very hard for me to find a job after I graduated, because I'm not registered, and I wasn't even eligible to sit for the exams until after one year of working, and they do not count school as "experience". Yes evey place has its quirks, youre right. NYU has a program, and my friend went there. She is registered in ABD and OB-GYN, but places didnt want her because she has no scanning experience. They taught the test, not the scanning. Therefore, it took her a while to find a job, she got it after volunteering, and she replaced a girl who couldnt get registered. I would advise you to go to a place where they have an accredited program, and take the boards ASAP. It's very hard to get back into physics and abd once youre out of school for a year or more for these tests. Trust me. Good luck :)

Lys

Reply - Report abuse

118 months ago

Lys said: Hello Shanda,

I went to the Sanford Brown Institute (Formerly Ultrasound Diagnostic School) in Garden City, NY. It was NOT accredited, and it was very hard for me to find a job after I graduated, because I'm not registered, and I wasn't even eligible to sit for the exams until after one year of working, and they do not count school as "experience". Yes evey place has its quirks, youre right. NYU has a program, and my friend went there. She is registered in ABD and OB-GYN, but places didnt want her because she has no scanning experience. They taught the test, not the scanning. Therefore, it took her a while to find a job, she got it after volunteering, and she replaced a girl who couldnt get registered. I would advise you to go to a place where they have an accredited program, and take the boards ASAP. It's very hard to get back into physics and abd once youre out of school for a year or more for these tests. Trust me. Good luck :)

Lys

Thanks, Lys i needed to hear that. I was also looking into CFI (Central Florida Institute) in Tampa, Fl. I have recently been chatting with Stacy in the Forum who is currently attending there. It seems like a good school. Their other programs are accredited, but since their DMS program is new one of the classes (day) will have to graduate first (will be in May or June) in order for them to get the program accredited. And i a kind of skeptical about that because alot of these schools say they ARE trying to get accredited but acutally not. Its just a way to get students to sign up. So it's like i keep running into dead ends. Most of the Community colleges have a waiting list or its so competitive i don't want to waste my time and years waiting. Do you have any idea of a technical or vocational school that has an accredited DMS program?

Thanks,
Shanda

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

118 months ago

AR in Patchogue, New York said: What comments are you confused about?

School so far isn't easy but it's certainly not so difficult (yet) that I can't get through the classes(but then again I have just started this fall in Cardiovascular Technology) We're doing Invasive Cardiac right now.

Go to a CAAHEP accredited program and if this is really what you want to do you will get through fine. I think depending on where you live will dtermine the amount of jobs available to you. In the northeast there seems to be quite a few openings, especially in echo and vascular. And if you do well at your clinical sites, they may well offer you a position when you've completed your program. I know a few techs that were hired through their clinical sites. My instructors work in the field and one is the head of the Vascular Dept. at a very large hospital in NY, and they are short techs. Hopefully someone in our class who decides to specialize in Vasc. will be offered a position there. It's like alot of other jobs you have to network. Our program Director goes all of the country to seminars, etc. and gets emails from places looking for recent graduates.

I'm not sure if this info helps you or not....good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Hi AR,
I would like to know what is the name of the school that you are attending for your ECHO program? I am generally from Houston and considering about relocating to go to an accredited program. Does your school have alot of requirements that will make it hard to get into? I also noticed that you mentioned you have got accepted in the general program as well, what school was this? It's like i don't want to waste no more time and years. I have been deciding on this for like 4yrs but the time was never right because i have children to consider, but now a door of opportunity has opened up for me and i keep running into dead ends. I am looking for something accredited but most of these community colleges have long waiting

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

118 months ago

LaShanda in Houston, Texas said: Hi AR,
I would like to know what is the name of the school that you are attending for your ECHO program? I am generally from Houston and considering about relocating to go to an accredited program. Does your school have alot of requirements that will make it hard to get into? I also noticed that you mentioned you have got accepted in the general program as well, what school was this? It's like i don't want to waste no more time and years. I have been deciding on this for like 4yrs but the time was never right because i have children to consider, but now a door of opportunity has opened up for me and i keep running into dead ends. I am looking for something accredited but most of these community colleges have long waiting

Okay sorry AR i ran out space,
Like i was saying frome the long waiting list, everything is competitive as well. These vocational schools most of their DMS or cardio programs or not accredited or students are not getting the proper training (scanning). Most schools just want to help you prepare for the registry test but not give you good training skills and scanning is what you really need. I am open to any suggestions PLEASE!
Thanks,
Shanda

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Houston, Texas

118 months ago

LaShanda,

I think no matter what school you pick, there is going to be something that makes it difficult to get into depending upon your current experience in both classrooms and on the job.

If it's General DMS, with community colleges you got horrible waiting lists, and a competitive acceptance program. But the benefit of being patient is the cost. Average cost at a community college is roughly 6k. That number can be even less if your lucky enough for get pell or federal grants.

Even with Sanford-Brown Houston, a school that you dish out 36k for the tuition, there is hoops and waiting lists that you have to get through, to get into the program. You have to have a minimum of 48 or so accepted college/vocation units to get into the program. So many of those units have to be related to mathematics or biological sciences.

If you don't have the required units, the only other method of getting into SBI Houston, is by going through an MA based program. (Which is also expensive and time consuming). I'm not sure the procedure of getting excepted into SBI's CVT program, so I can't comment on that or any other schools in Houston for CVT.

As for scanning experience at other SBI's, I can't comment. Like the one in NY doesn't have the best reputation. But the Houston location is nationally accredited, with a great deal of externship hours based at hospitals where you learn primarily how to scan by other sonographers in the field.

I think the main question is just how much college experience do you have. Are you willing to wait for a spot, and what your priorities are in terms of time and money.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

118 months ago

Scott in Houston, Texas said: LaShanda,

I think no matter what school you pick, there is going to be something that makes it difficult to get into depending upon your current experience in both classrooms and on the job.

If it's General DMS, with community colleges you got horrible waiting lists, and a competitive acceptance program. But the benefit of being patient is the cost. Average cost at a community college is roughly 6k. That number can be even less if your lucky enough for get pell or federal grants.

Even with Sanford-Brown Houston, a school that you dish out 36k for the tuition, there is hoops and waiting lists that you have to get through, to get into the program. You have to have a minimum of 48 or so accepted college/vocation units to get into the program. So many of those units have to be related to mathematics or biological sciences.

If you don't have the required units, the only other method of getting into SBI Houston, is by going through an MA based program. (Which is also expensive and time consuming). I'm not sure the procedure of getting excepted into SBI's CVT program, so I can't comment on that or any other schools in Houston for CVT.

As for scanning experience at other SBI's, I can't comment. Like the one in NY doesn't have the best reputation. But the Houston location is nationally accredited, with a great deal of externship hours based at hospitals where you learn primarily how to scan by other sonographers in the field.

I think the main question is just how much college experience do you have. Are you willing to wait for a spot, and what your priorities are in terms of time and money.

Hi Scott,
I am to the point i don't think it matters if the program is accredited or not. That's why part of me wants to try The Academy of Health Care professions, the school is accredited but not the program. Bu i know for a fact they have 100% job placement. I still keep in touch with a friend of mines who has one month

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

118 months ago

LaShanda in Houston, Texas said: Hi Scott,
I am to the point i don't think it matters if the program is accredited or not. That's why part of me wants to try The Academy of Health Care professions, the school is accredited but not the program. Bu i know for a fact they have 100% job placement. I still keep in touch with a friend of mines who has one month

Sorry Scott i got cut off, but as i was saying a friend of mines have 1mth left in externship everyone before her has been placed. Also my Aunt went to this same school 2yrs ago, when she finished she had to relocate to Tucon, AZ to get experience and she came back to Houston still having a job. My main problem is that i really want an accredited program because i plan to advance myself and lot of these schools/or hospital wants requirements of a 2yr accredited program, and of course 2yrs of experience in the field and certain prerequisite courses to get your B.S. and i really want more credentials the more you have the more money you will make. I don't have alot of transferrable collge credits so i know SB is out of the question for me.And if i choose the Academy of Health Care which the program is not accredited i just hate to have a hard time finding a job because i am not registered with the ARDMS. I have even thought about going to Molloy in NY, they don't have alot of requirements. May just a couple of prerequitsites and that is it.I have also looked in to CFI (Central Florida Institute) their DMS program is new so a class has to graduate first before they so call get accredited. You never know if that will actually happen, i have heard about situations like that. Also CFI DMS day progam is 14mths which i think there is no way you can get the proper scanning techniques in such a short time frame. So i very skeptical about that. So at this point i am really confused its like every angle has its ups and downs..Your input is very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Shanda

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Houston, Texas

118 months ago

LaShanda in Houston, Texas said: Hi Scott,

For general DMS, school accreditation doesn't mean anything. Because there is still the issue of working for a year, for so many hours a week in order to get the ability to take the ARDMS exam. There are many people on this forum alone, struggling to get steady work without the ARDMS certification, I'm only telling you this because if it's something your not 100 percent sure on, you might get stuck in this situation to.

But if your going for CVT, I don't know anything about the require testing, etc for national certification. So if it's for that, this might be a great choice.

I'm not against taking chances. I almost did it myself to avoid moving from California to Houston.

It's not impossible to find work after graduating a non-accredited DMS program. It's just much harder and there is defiantly an extra element of risk involved. I've personally never seen any program from any school in California or Texas that has 100 percent job placement with related graduation fields. I'd ask to get that in writing before signing up, as well as seeing the average school graduation rates. I can promise you the program will not have 100 percent graduation rates, because it's not realistic.

If you know someone in the program and they say it's great I see no reason not to give it a try. But if the cost is as much as an accredited vocation program (roughly 36k), that's a big risk, make sure you know everything there is to know about the program before making the commitment.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Houston, Texas

118 months ago

Sorry LaShanda,

I responded before I saw your second post:

Theres two things to consider. The main part that most programs seem to have a problem with in terms of obtaining accreditation, is how many hours they can get students into externships. CAAHEP has very strict rules for the amount of hands on experience a student needs, in order to go on to take the ARDMS exam.

So generally speaking, you tend to have a year so of in class practice (both book work, and hands on), and then the final six to eight months tend to be working in a hospital. When I say work, I mean working for free but getting a hands on feel with other techs. Sometimes you get to these sites I've heard, and they just want you to watch the scanning. But you have to be forceful, and volunteer to do anything and everything you can.

If you go to these sites and you feel your not getting enough time, the person doesn't let you do anything, etc. Normally you just need to speak to your clinical coordinator and tell them your not getting any scan time and they will relocate you.

I mean for your options in general, no matter what theres risk. Rather you go into a program thats accredited, or not. You are always going to have a risk. But I can only say for myself, I'd not do an unaccredited general DMS program because of the people I know personally who have had problems going that route through schools who also had great reputations.

If you are looking into CVT, there might be more options in terms of education for you. I don't know first hand, because personally I'd not go through a CVT program for various reasons. I'm not bashing or implying anything for those that do. I just have my own reasons for not being interested.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

118 months ago

Scott in Houston, Texas said: Sorry LaShanda,

I responded before I saw your second post:

Theres two things to consider. The main part that most programs seem to have a problem with in terms of obtaining accreditation, is how many hours they can get students into externships. CAAHEP has very strict rules for the amount of hands on experience a student needs, in order to go on to take the ARDMS exam.

So generally speaking, you tend to have a year so of in class practice (both book work, and hands on), and then the final six to eight months tend to be working in a hospital. When I say work, I mean working for free but getting a hands on feel with other techs. Sometimes you get to these sites I've heard, and they just want you to watch the scanning. But you have to be forceful, and volunteer to do anything and everything you can.

If you go to these sites and you feel your not getting enough time, the person doesn't let you do anything, etc. Normally you just need to speak to your clinical coordinator and tell them your not getting any scan time and they will relocate you.

I mean for your options in general, no matter what theres risk. Rather you go into a program thats accredited, or not. You are always going to have a risk. But I can only say for myself, I'd not do an unaccredited general DMS program because of the people I know personally who have had problems going that route through schools who also had great reputations.

If you are looking into CVT, there might be more options in terms of education for you. I don't know first hand, because personally I'd not go through a CVT program for various reasons. I'm not bashing or implying anything for those that do. I just have my own reasons for not being interested.

I totally agree Scott i am just confused in some ways. But i do understand it is best to with an accredited program which is what i want to do. Even if i have to relocate and which means i might have to do a community

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

118 months ago

LaShanda in Houston, Texas said: I totally agree Scott i am just confused in some ways. But i do understand it is best to with an accredited program which is what i want to do. Even if i have to relocate and which means i might have to do a community

Sorry got cut off, But if i can't luck up on a vocational accredited school, then i will just have to sacrafice and do prerequisites and a community college. But i can tell you it probably wont be in Houston, it will have to be in another state to where they don't have a waiting list nor a certain criteria. That's why i was looking into Molloy online and i just also ran across Cincinnati State University Tech school which seem to be pretty reasonable, but i will do more research and call the directors of these programs first. Oh yeah that school i was saying had 100% placement, that's just what i was told. I know there is no such thing, basically probably most of their students were able to get jobs. So at this point i dont mind doing CVT or DMS. From the beginning i was interested in cardio but i realized DMS has more job openings & I can just go back and get certification in CVT. Then after more research for some reason Vascular makes more than DMS and Cardio Tech, don't know why but they do. I was really looking forward to going to CFI since it would'nt be to far away from home and nor did they have alot of requirements but since they are not accredited i guess that is out of the question. So at this point i just want to get my foot in the door and can always be crossed trained and back for more certifications. All that matter is i find something accredited and not a long waiting and not so competitive to get into. I need to make a decision quick, time is passing. I have put this off for years but now i am blessed that a door of opportunity has been open for me so i want to take while i can.
Thanks,
LaShanda

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.