Ultrasound

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (151 to 200 of 491)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

LaShanda in Houston, Texas

84 months ago

Stacy in Sierra Vista, Arizona said: Thanks, LaShada. I would have received all the hands-on training I needed during my internship, if I'd had the opportunity. I DID do my homework before I enrolled; the school IS accredited and NOT private so credits ARE transferrable to other colleges. It was a great opportunity but, unfortunately the contract fell apart and there wasn't enough time to secure another site. You're right, the time is not lost, I did learn a lot. And yes, maybe the second time around is the charmer. I'm applying for a nationally accredited RN program next month. If I nail it, hopefully I can salvage my imaging classes and cert in u.s.
Thanks

Stacy,
What school are you applying for the RN program & how long is it?

Shanda

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Stacy in Sierra Vista, Arizona

84 months ago

Nope. Never held a probe but I thought that's what the clinicals were for: hands-on experience. Made sense to me. Ha, sites want a student who's been scanning already. I was great at interpreting the scans and I'm sure I would have learned the probe basics quickly. I think it may be tougher to interpret without knowing the position of the probe (studying so many scans online). If you're the one holding the probe, you at least have a leg up by knowing if you're scanning near the liver, uterus, etc. Aaaah, it all happens for a reason, I know. But what a shame; there could have been another registered tech out there this year but incompetence took care of that. I just hope my whining informs someone of the truth behind JCC's program.

Lys

84 months ago

Oh Stacy, it is a shame...too bad we live too far away, I can show you how to scan you can get me ready to pass the boards :)

Its amazing how all these schools completely rip off people who are trying to better themselves. And the only thing we can do is warn other people.

Stacy in Sierra Vista, Arizona

84 months ago

Roger that. This forum is really kind of depressing because every week I read a heartache story about another starry-eyed student who fell for another school's tricks. I could expect that from a private school more than public but it's a racket in both. We read that there's such a shortage of techs yet it's so difficult to get the training. The ones who do get the training often find it's inadequate and they can't find work. I think a lot of the stats we read (techs salaries, shortage of techs, etc.) are put out there by the schools' advertisers.

84 months ago

AR in Concord, New Hampshire said: You're welcome LaShanda....I would go ahead and just apply.I agree w/Mr. Hartman don't bother with taking courses that may or may not be transferable to Molloy....the good thing is that Molloy provides all the courses you need in a 2yr.program....no need to have all of the prereqs first.

And you brought up a good point about cardio technicians not to be confused with a cardiovascular technologist....some people may get confused w/those 2 terms and not realize there is a difference in training,education, and pay!

AR,
I need some help on this Application, some of the things they are asking is tricky. So please reply when you get a chance i have a couple of questions. I want to try and fill this out online to get it in A.S.A.P

Thanks
Shanda

AR in Patchogue, New York

84 months ago

La Shanda- my email is ariggsy55@yahoo.com email me there and I will answer any of your questions,chat soon.

84 months ago

AR,
I should be home by 6:30 my time so will e-mail after i get settled in. Probably between 7:30-8 if that's okay with you. I should be settled by then. Thanks i really appreciate it.

Shanda

84 months ago

AR in Patchogue, New York said: La Shanda- my email is ariggsy55@yahoo.com email me there and I will answer any of your questions,chat soon.

AR
My e-mail is acting up is there any other way i contact you? Or do you prefer for me to just e-mail on your yahoo account when i get to work in the morning?

Shanda

Ardita in Jacksonville, Florida

84 months ago

LaShanda in Houston, Texas said: Ardita,
Its seems to me that is just another way to divert students from what they really want to do. Which in other words they are making it hard to get into, because of the high demand for DMS. But to be honest, when i was an X-Ray Tech years ago i was told that it is best to know X-Rays first before getting into an Ultrasound program because some places will prefer that. But who knows if it is actually true it is just what i was told. If i were you i would keep researching don't give in just yet, you will eventually run across something more reasonable.

Shanda

So are u saying that I don't really need the Radiography course ?
But how can I start my Ultrasound school right away with all my finished pre req?Should I get an A.S degree and transfer to a college ?

84 months ago

Ardita,
No you really don't need Radiography. I would say just continue to search for an accredited school that is not requesting alot of uneccesary courses. You might have to take som pre-req's because you are going for A.S. degree.

Shanda

AR in Brooklyn, New York

84 months ago

Email anytime Shanda....I have finals all this week so I will answer as soon as I can.......

84 months ago

Ann i just e-mailed you on your yahoo account. You should see my yahoo address lashanw7@yahoo.com

Thanks

Christine in Los Angeles, California

84 months ago

hi guys

I am intersted in taking DMI classes, I am enrolled at West Coast Ultrasound Institute in Beverly Hills but there was a little mix up in my finiancial aid so I am trying to get more info on other schools as well.

I have talked to a rep from Career Colleges of America and they are actually providing a course which is 15 months long however there is a selective enrollment process.
Anybody have any reviews about this school?It would really help me out.

Thanks so much
Christine

prospective student in Minneapolis, Minnesota

84 months ago

Dena in Florida in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: I am in the exact same boat! I just graduated last week, but I am having the same issues! No experience, no job! No job, no ARDMS in 12 months! What the heck? $35,000 on a school that didn't inform me of this crap! What can be done?

I am thinking about this program as well. The school administrative told me that the program is competitive. I am sure that if you want to be eligible for the registry exam then you should look for the school that is accredited then go to their website, it listed all the schools that are accredited.

TONY J in Boonton, New Jersey

84 months ago

You should definitly go back to the school. Or go to private doctor's offices and apply.

Renee from CNY in Memphis, New York

84 months ago

I am a 41-year-old single mother of 2 looking for a 'career'. I have always just had jobs and am making no more $$ than I was 14 years ago!! I began attending college 23 years ago but never finished. Instead I had two children and have been busy being a Mom and working. My children are a bit older now (one will be attending college in the fall of 08) and I am now really interested in going back to school and assume that I would have to start from scratch. I orginally & have always been interested in being a teacher, but time nor money will not allow that right now. Another interest of mine is cardio & vascular seeing as heart disease is prominent in my family. Diagnostic Medical Sonography has really had my attention lately and I have been researching it extensively, but I am not clear on a couple of issues. I was under the impression that this was something that could be acchieved with an Associates Degree. I have absolutely no qualifying pre-requisites as I do not work in the medical field, nor do I have any medical/math/science related schooling. The nearest accredited school is RIT and it is approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes away. The website for Rochester Institute of Technology shows every indication of this being a 4 year program with a year of internship included in that. So, if you have no prior experience, is this indeed a field that requires 4 years of schooling? All other accredited schools are downstate from me (hours away) and right now RIT is my only option. Does anyone know if I'd be able to attend some classes at a local school - say Syracuse University - and then maybe transfer to finish out the degree? Leaving maybe only 2 instead of 4 years of travel to RIT? I'm not in a position to relocate as I have elderly family nearby (like one across the street and the others are 2 miles away). I am the only close-by family they have. Please give some insight as to the requirements for the full 4 years.....Greatly Appreciated!!!!
Renee

AR in Concord, New Hampshire

84 months ago

Renee-

Call the program Director and ask what the pre reqs are for the certificate program....you can probably get those closer to you and transfer those in for the shorter program......he(she) will be the best one to speak to in order to get the most accurate info. But it looks like you can do the certificate program in approx. 2 years.....most schools only have a cert. or associate's program. They are trying to get more schools to offer a Bachelor's in Ultrasound...but so far they are very few and far between.

Good luck....

Sharon12 in pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

84 months ago

I read this thread with great interest. I am currently waiting to start a tech school for DMS and have a million questions since this a big step.

First and foremost; how hard is it? I have heard that mentioned many times here and elsewhere. And what about this is so hard? Is it just a lot of things to learn, or is it difficult to understand, or is it hard to learn to read the ultrasound pix, or is it a bit of all of that?

Even though I passed the entry exam I question whether I am up to this. I guess that hearing that it is hard over and over and being told that the registry exam is extremely difficult is scaring me some. I can't afford to rack up a huge student loan and not pass the exam at the end.

Can anyone reply? Hopefully in detail?

And my school is 38,000. by the way.

Lys

84 months ago

Hi Sharon,

It may be a combination of all three, depending what type of student you are. Most of the topics of the organs are VERY detailed and you have to know a lot of information about them. Like the organ itself, normal and abnormal pathology. It is a lot of reading and keeping up. When you learn OB/GYN, it is also intense. Again, very detailed information, from implantation, the growing fetus and what can go wrong with it, to birth. Also just the uterus and ovaries when people arent pregnant, and going through menopause. Again you learn normal and abnormal pathology with the uterus, and ovaries. THEN is the scanning. You can be great at the books, but crummy at scanning. OR vice versa.
Hope this helped :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Thanks for the prompt reply.

What about the physics? I have been told that is one of the more difficult aspects of the course.

And are you actually using math/physics in the course of scanning? And in what way if you are?

Lys

84 months ago

You're welcome :). Sorry, it's kind of easy to forget about physics ;). Yes, there is a course on physics...there are some formulas you need to know, but its not acutal math...its more of knowing what they are. (I hope that made sense. Also you have to know about the transducer, the machine, and how everything works in relation to making pictures on the screen. When you are scanning, no physics are involved, so physics is annoying. They make you get registered in it, but it has nothing to do with scanning.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Thanks Lys for the help.

Lys

84 months ago

Youre welcome

84 months ago

Hi Sharon,

May i ask what school you will be attending & is it an accredited program?

84 months ago

It is the Western School of Health and Business; and they are accredited.

84 months ago

Oh okay, so what kind of entry exam did you have to take? Are they limited to how many students they take & are there any pre-requistes courses involved?

84 months ago

They use the Wonderlic test and have a minimum score of 20 to enter the DMS program. Then they require college level Physics and Algebra before you can begin the program. The class is limited to no more than 15 students.

And like a lot of these programs, they have a list of people trying to get into the class. I was told that they had 56 applicants for the 15 seats. The good thing is that they will arrange to get you the prerequisites there at the school if you need them (I did.)

84 months ago

So in other words, even if you do pass the Wonderlic test & take the pre-requisites required there is no guarantee that you will get into the program? Or will they just put you on the waiting list until a spot is available?

84 months ago

That's pretty much it.
However, with the prerequisites they usually won't let you take them unless they are pretty certain you are getting into the next class. It is very odd, but they are actually operating on the squeaky wheel theory. The more that you bug them about getting into the next class, the more serious they believe you to be.

You also must be interviewed by the President of the school and the head of the sonography department.

84 months ago

Let me clarify that. You would be put on a waiting list; and no there aren't any guarantees, which is why they won't give you the prerequisites unless you are slated for a seat.

84 months ago

Oh okay,now that makes much more sense. Some schools don't even do that they will just take the money regardless if you get in or not. But i do notice that you are only getting a (AST) degree instead of an (AAS) degree?

84 months ago

Yes, that is the degree. I can't say as I know what the difference is between the two in practical terms.

Andre in Mountain View, California

84 months ago

Ive read all these posts about ARDMS registration and going to either accredited or non-accredited schools, but it seems to me there are many job openings for Sonographers here in the Bay Area(California) and many of the openings say they will acceot recent graduates(from accredited or non accredited schools) and give them up to one year to pass the ARDMS exam.
In my case, Im looking at a non-accredited vocational school to get my education out of the way fast. I have a BS degree in Clinical Psychology already, so I can take the ARDMS right after graduating and possibly be looked at first above others without the BS. After all, most job descriptions mainly just ask for ARDMS registered, and add "accredited school" as a nice-to-have. Once you get your first job, you are set.Isn't it really only about being registered?

84 months ago

Hi, Andre i kind of agree with you. I feel the same way i guess both sides just ways itself. But my only problem with a non-accredited school is that the classes are non-transferrable. So if i wanted to persue getting an Advanced Certificate or B.S degree in DMS i would have to have of course 2yrs of work experience and graduate from an accredited program.Most colleges i have looked at including online ask for those certain requirements. So i really think an accredited program will be my best bet. Unless any out there have any ideas.

84 months ago

LaShanda in Houston, Texas said: Hi, Andre i kind of agree with you. I feel the same way i guess both sides just ways itself. But my only problem with a non-accredited school is that the classes are non-transferrable. So if i wanted to persue getting an Advanced Certificate or B.S degree in DMS i would have to have of course 2yrs of work experience and graduate from an accredited program.Most colleges i have looked at including online ask for those certain requirements. So i really think an accredited program will be my best bet. Unless any out there have any ideas.

Lashanda,

In your situation, you must be careful to ensure transfer credit , so i would advise to go with an accredited school who's credits are recognized. Each individual has unique requirements and must take slightly different paths to get to their goals. An accredited school is only one of those paths, and in your case, i would recommend:))

84 months ago

Thank you, i just wanted to be sure i going in the right direction.

84 months ago

LaShanda in Houston, Texas said: Thank you, i just wanted to be sure i going in the right direction.

No problem. Im a newbie at this as well, but ive also researched this heavily and intensely. There are alot of jobs out there, most are not advertised. You will most likley secure your first job through the contacts you make in your clinicals. Most do.
the other 30% will secure positions through the media (and there are still plenty out there, even for those who are not ARDMS certified yet). keep your chin up . You are doing he right thing by going into the Sonography field. You will have a secure and rewarding job for a long time, and will be able to do it anywhere in the US (and overseas in some cases) as you wish.
In California, Sonographers(after 2-3 years) are making in excess of 70K/year. I would like to go into supervising and management, so my goals after 3 years is to exactly that afer I learn the skill and the ropes of my new vocation. Mgmnt make considerably more in Califonia at least. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

magnum68 in Hollywood, Florida

84 months ago

How difficult is it for a male sonographer to find employment in California? I've been thinking of pursuing a career in sonography.

Andre

84 months ago

Hello, Im not a Sonographer yet, but I AM male.

I would say the chances are good to get hired in Califonia as a male. Just like the nursing field 40 years ago. HArdly any males as it was stigmatized as a female profession. Now, males are prominent. Hold on, this field will be wide open even more than it is today over the next 5- 10 years. GET IN NOW!!!

US tech in Newark, New Jersey

83 months ago

Andre,
Good news! don't be afraid of not to be hired because you are a male. As far as i know, all males from 2 school programs were hired before the female friends. Mostly by mobile companies, some went to Vascular field.
Good luck

Doctor Ziba in North Hollywood, California

83 months ago

As program director of the Diagnostic Medical Sonography diploma program at Maric College’s North Hollywood campus, I’d like to take this opportunity to clarify some of the questions that have risen in this discussion regarding our Diagnostic Medical Sonography/Ultrasound diploma program.

Maric College’s North Hollywood campus is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges of Technology (ACCSCT). ACCSCT is listed as a nationally recognized accrediting agency by the United States Department of Education. This accreditation applies to all the programs the campus offers.

Graduation from a program that is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs is not required to take the ARDMS registry examinations.

To enroll in Maric College’s North Hollywood campus’ Diagnostic Medical Sonography/Ultrasound diploma program, students must pass the Career Placement Assessment Test, a qualifying exam administered by the campus, and meet one of the following prerequisites:

1) A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution (in any subject/major), or

2) Completion of a 12-month (or longer) health care program from an accredited institution, or

3) Documentation of completion of college courses in physiology, algebra and human anatomy from an accredited institution, or

4) Documentation of one year, full-time direct patient or clinical work experience in a hospital, medical office or allied health setting.

Graduates of the Diagnostic Medical Sonography/Ultrasound diploma program may be eligible for registry examinations under Prerequisite One of the ARDMS application process. Please see ARDMS website for more information regarding the prerequisites at http://69.65.109.82/downloads/Prerequisite_Chart.pdf.

Please contact me if you have any questions: zyousefzadeh@mariccollege.edu

Scott in Houston, Texas

83 months ago

Personally, I recommend NOT attending Maric College. Although I can not speak for everyones experiences there, I personally didn't like my student life there. And many of the people I know still attending are only there because of lack of options, but would have left the program if other options had been available.

The ACCSCT accreditation is nice, but isn't example out of the ordinary as the majority of vocational schools have it or similar accreditations based on location. However, it doesn't do anything for as a RDMS certication. Without ARDMS certification, employment opportunities especially in an area such as North Hollywood are very limited. (Not impossible) but limited. And with a lot of competition (Maric College alone funnels drones of students through the program all looking for that job just like you) your employment chances go down less. There are many schools all which have this accreditation or like wise accreditation i the area with better reputations and class sizes. West Coast Ultrasound Institute is one example in that area.

If you already have a Bachelors degree and fulfill requirements needed to sit for the ARDMS exam, even though Maric College itself is not directly eligible, then there are far better programs (At far less than the 36k cost for the program alone) out there.

Andre

83 months ago

I have a bachelors degree and will be attending IME in San Jose. 19K for total program. I can then take the ARDMS immediately after graduation and get a job. I have 16 years of High Tech industry behind me as well and eventually would ike to become an ultrasound supervisor. School accredation means little to me at this point. Its all about ARDMS folks!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Houston, Texas

83 months ago

Continued:

The majority of students currently there, or that will go there do not fulfill enough of the additional prereqs needed for either eligibility. They know this, and will more than likely try to convince you that taking an MA course first (At roughly 14k) will be in your best interest to get experience, etc.

But neither the MA certification, nor the DMS certificate through Maric College will get you any closer to sitting for the registry without the other stiff requirements because it isn't accredited by CAAHEP, regardless of what other post secondary accreditations it does have.

If you cannot find your way into an CAAHEP accredited program (rather community college or vocational school), then make sure what schools you do have have great hospital connections. Get the list of the school, then call the sites affiliated with the school and ask about how many students they tend to hire from Maric even though they are not ARDMS certified. If the number is bad, then you know its not a good school to deal with.

As I said before, nothing is impossible. But there are better options than Maric College. I advise anyone to do a lot of research before committing, and you will find that I'm not the only one with this opinion.

Reguards.

Andre

83 months ago

IME in San Jose is much less expensive for one with a BAchelors degree. Nuf said.

Scott in Houston, Texas

83 months ago

Andre said: I have a bachelors degree and will be attending IME in San Jose. 19K for total program. I can then take the ARDMS immediately after graduation and get a job. I have 16 years of High Tech industry behind me as well and eventually would ike to become an ultrasound supervisor. School accredation means little to me at this point. Its all about ARDMS folks!!!!

That is 100 percent the truth right there. I know nothing about IME, but it sounds like you did your homework before signing up. Sitting for the registry after graduation makes life better in every way, and your on your way.

Good luck!

AR in Dunbarton, New Hampshire

83 months ago

Hi Doctor,

Even though you don't have to graduate from a CAAHEP accredited school....don't you still have to have 12 mos. of f/t clinical work in order to take the exam?

From the pre-req requirements page that is what it looks like to me....also even though someone has a BA don't they also have to some how acquire 12 mos. of clinical work in order to sit for the registry?

Please clarify...this is how I am reading the requirements..

And if this is the case, the glitch is people getting out of a non-CAAHEP program and being able to secure the 12 mos. clinical work that is needed to sit for the registry.

Thank you for your input...

Andre

83 months ago

Im not a Doctor. Just a really good researcher. NO, you do not have to have the 12 months of clinical experience to take the ARDMS IF you have a Bachelors degree. This is clearly spelled out on the ARDMS website. prerequisite 3A I think. only 12 months clinical for no Bachelors.Thats the challenge that non Bachelors degree students will have to face, but its nt impossible.

83 months ago

Sorry Andre but I was commenting to Dr. Ziba of North Hollywood,Calif.

He works at Maric(?)College......should have made myself clearer....

83 months ago

Andre --I just went to the ARDMS website and from what I read prereq 3A is any Bachelors+ 12 mos. f/t clinical experience...3B is a Bachelors in Sonography or Vascular Technology...no additional clinical prereq required(I'm guessing that they assume that you would have had clinicals if you have your BA in Sonography).....

Am I reading this incorrectly? I did look at the other prereqs and couldn't find just a BA w/o clinicals....did I miss it?
The reason why I ask is that I do have a BA already but was afraid that they were going to change the requirements for the exams and wanted to cover all my bases so I am attending a CAAHEP program....

Will your school give you the 12 mos. f/t clinical time? If so you're all set....

Good luck

Thanks.

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.