Ultrasound

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (201 to 250 of 491)
Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »   Last »

Andre

84 months ago

You misread. There are 2 subsections.#2 to qualify how they define "full time" clinical experience. The second subsectin(#3) qualifies what they define as "clinical cardiovascular experience). I even called ARDMS and they explained it to me.Go to the "Notes" section and you will read for yourself and put the pieces together. NET/NET: if you have a bachelors and go to a formal sonography program with the required full time hours, you can take the test immediately upon completion. Call ARDMS and clarify for yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

AR in Dunbarton, New Hampshire

84 months ago

Went and read the "notes".... didn't read it from front to back --my mistake-but.....just asking.....hey, we're all trying to get to the same place, we're just taking different roads....

I wish you the best of luck in your career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Andre

84 months ago

No problem. Its a bit confusing, I admit. Thats why I called the ARDMS rep and had him go thrugh it with me step by step to understand. I also called the school Im planning on going to as well and they said the same thing.You will be ok.You just need to understand the path you are about to go on and ensure you do not have any misunderstandng on what you have to do.

Ardita in Jacksonville, Florida

84 months ago

hy I,m from Jacksonville fl and would like to know if anyone has attended the Stanford Brown institute here in Jax ?
If so did u get a job right after that ,how does the whole thing go ?

Tammie in Chicago, Illinois

84 months ago

As a vet in the US world, after reading these
comments and inquiries for these various schools and
programs, i am certainly glad that i chose to get
involved 15 yrs ago. At that time, my school of choice was not accredited and the cost was only $6000.00. I was lucky as a former xray tech, i was
able to get my clinical training at one of my temp
jobs as a xray tech. My advise to potential sonographers is, DON,T GIVE UP. BE PERSISTENT AND
IT WILL COME TO PASS.

P.S. I AM REGISTERED-DUE TO THE PRESSURE OF MY BOSSES

Karen in Bohemia, New York

84 months ago

Im attending IAMP thats institute of allied medical professions in may. I am take the ultrasound and im very nervous now. this is an accredited school its 10 months of school and 6 months of clinical. In order for me to take the registry I have to work for one year then take my registry. This school is $25,000 and its monday-thursday 6-10pm

ar in Bow, New Hampshire

84 months ago

Hi Karen-
Isn't IAMP in the city? Did you look at Molloy in Rockville Center? It is CAAHEP certified so you won't have to work the year before taking the registry exam.Takes approx. 2 yrs. you could start some classes in Jan. if you wanted to. Just a thought and the cost will be a bit more but not by much. Offers a Cardiovascular Technology Associates Degree.....not general DMS...you can choose to specialize in Vascular,Echo or Invasive catherization.....may be an option.....

Good luck....call Michael Hartman...the head of the Molloy program..he is very helpful.....

Talk to students from the school first (IAMP) or their clinical sites to get more info. on the quality of the school, and if their grads. get jobs!!! Good Luck to you....

Kay in Pensacola, Florida

84 months ago

Shannon in Huntsville, Alabama said: I actually do have some insight on this since i have travelled some and stayed near home also. Echocardiography is the most sought out position in our field. i could have three jobs in my saturated area of three ultrasound schools. The pay is the highest since its the reimbursements are around 1300.00 a scan. 35/hr. depending on your city. i know several men that do this and enjoy it. just a thought!

Thanks for the information! I am very interested in salaries since I am finding a broad range and not alot of reliable sources (ie, "Indeed.com" salaries, etc.). I plan on working around Atlanta, TX, or FL. Also, I am financially stressed going to school fulltime and may need to take a bread halfway through a 1 year program to "reboot" financially. Can anyone tell me...if I have a bachelor's in biology, go to an accreditted school 6 months and train in ABD and OB, would it be likely to find a job willing to hire me without the entire 1 yr of school? Is that common, getting hired 6 months away from registration w/ 6 mos training and say you can proficiently scan...or is getting a job with those criteria totally unheard of? THanks for any info of advice anyone can give me!

84 months ago

I looked into molloy they have 2 year full time i can't go full time. I did apply though and didn't hear any word.. Iamp is in queens and manhattan. I noticed that alot of schools for the ultrasound you have to your bachelors degree in order to take the registry. Maybe im wrong but i call the registry and they told me that. Im nervous now cause im hearing everyone's comments

ar in Goffstown, New Hampshire

84 months ago

Karen-

I think you can take your classes at Molloy whenever...the only classes you need to take in sequence and at a particular time are the CVT courses....I know that last semester I only took 2 CVT classes....this semester will be heavier...alot of classes are late afternoon into evening....I'd call Mr.Hartman at Molloy-he's the head of the dept. They really try to work with the students...may be worth a call. Plus he may be able to tell you the status of your application...when you're done you can sit for the registry..no Bachelors needed! Good luck...

Professor X in Santiago, Dominican Republic

84 months ago

Sandra in Spring, Texas said: I just finished Ultrasound school in Jan. and I have not been able to find a job in Houston. The feedback I am getting is that I need to have one year experience and your clinical does not count. If no experience you must be registered. I went to a school that was not CAAHEP recognized so I would have to wait a year (working) to be able to take the registry, but I can't get a job because I don't have "experience". I really stuck! I have tried everything to get a job and no one cares!.

Dear Sandra and All Other Ultrasound Students and Future Students:
If you are looking for advanced training in abdominal and peripheral vascular ultrasound, please keep me in mind. I can help you become prepared for the competitive world of ultrasound. The training I offer is directly with patients and can be in groups or in private- you choose what method of learning you'd like. If you have little time, I can give you crash courses in abdomen and peripheral vascular ultrasound. For more details, please reach me at charles.segovia@gmail.com. I promise there is no bureaucracy with me. Just show me interest in learning ultrasound and I will help you.

tina in Norwalk, California

84 months ago

Sandra in Spring, Texas said: I just finished Ultrasound school in Jan. and I have not been able to find a job in Houston. The feedback I am getting is that I need to have one year experience and your clinical does not count. If no experience you must be registered. I went to a school that was not CAAHEP recognized so I would have to wait a year (working) to be able to take the registry, but I can't get a job because I don't have "experience". I really stuck! I have tried everything to get a job and no one cares!.

you are lucky to finished alread. I've just started. any notes or imput you can help me with . I am lost in ob. please e-mail at tina521@yahoo.com
thank-you

tina in Norwalk, California

84 months ago

jamie in Huntington Station, New York said: I must say, it was the hardest 2 years of my life, but I made some great frinds and I did get the right training, I am happy that I didn't get jerked like a lot of other people I am hearing about did. The price is actually double since I attended 4 years ago but it's still the best around.

do you have any note or info on how to study for ultrasound ? i've just started and I need help!!!! thank-you tina

Kim in Saint Paul, Minnesota

84 months ago

Dear Sandra in Spring Texas. If you are not registered and need to find work, the only thing I can think of is to consider looking at areas of most need or where the concentration of Ultrasound Professional is low.

Maybe you could try a clinic on an Indian Reservation, Alaska, etc...

Kim in St. Paul

tina in Norwalk, California said: you are lucky to finished alread. I've just started. any notes or imput you can help me with . I am lost in ob. please e-mail at tina521@yahoo.com
thank-you

tamoune in Suwanee, Georgia

84 months ago

i am also attending a non-accredited ultrasound program in ga. Will it be impossible to find employment without ardms registry? is the job market tight for new graduates? this is stressing me out. any advice on this matter will be greatly appreciated.

84 months ago

Ok I'm really confused if anyone could help me it would be much appreciated. I heard that in April of this year in order for the facilities to get paid for ultrasound tests you HAVE to be registered??? How can we be registered if we can't find work. I'm going to be attending a school in May, and after I have to work for a year in order to take the registry. I don't want to get screwed I don't know what to do.

SONJA in Miami, Florida

84 months ago

ALBY in Oceanside, California said: HERE IS SOME INFORMATION ON ULTRASOUND SCHOOLS AND WHAT YOU NEED TO LOOK FOR.YOUR FIRST VERY FIRST STEP IS TO GO TO "AMERICAN REGISTRY OG DIAGNOSTIC MEDICAL SONOGRAPHER" ( www.ardms.org )YOU CAN FIND SCHOOLS IN YOUR AREA THAT ARE ARDMS APPROVED AND THE STAFF IS VERY HELPFUL,YOU CAN EVEN CALL AND SPEAK TO SOMEONE! I WENT TO SCHOOL ALSO HOWEVER,MY SCHOOL AND PROGRAM ARE ACCREDITED.ANYONE CAN TEACH YOU ANYTHING BUT IF THIER PROGRAM IS NOT ACCREDITED WITH THE BOARD OF ALLIED HEALTH THEN I WOULD TELL YOU TO PASS THAT SCHOOL UP!ALSO, WHEN U SIGN UP FOR SCHOOL...HERES WHAT THEY DONT TELL YOU! IN ORDER FOR YOU TO TAKE YOUR ARDMS EXAM RIGHT WHEN YOU GRADUATE YOU HAVE TO HAVE A "B.A" OR WORK FOR A YEAR AT 32+ HOURS PER WEEK...AND THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE YOUR EXTERN.MAKE SURE YOU ASK THE SCHOOL FOR ALL THIS INFORMATION BEFORE SIGNING ANY PAPER WORK BECAUSE ONCE THEY HAVE YOU STUCK THEY REALLY WONT CARE! IF YOU TRULY DO WANT TO BECOME A SONOGRAPHER IT IS BEST YOU FIND A SCHOOL THAT IS ARDMS APPPROVED AND START SOON! THE PRICES FOR ULTRASOUND SCHOOL IS GETTING WAY OUT OF HAND,THE LONGER YOU WAIT THE MORE YOULL END UP PAYING!

SO WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND A PERSON TO DO IF THEY ARE already in it and soon to finish?

SONJA in Miami, Florida

84 months ago

Ines in Miami, Florida said: AR, thank you so much for the comments. I did read the report, I already had a feeling it was not the right path to take. I just wanted to see with my own eyes but thanks to you I will not waste my time attending the interview I had schedule for next week.

I wish more people like you contributed with comments!

u know that is so sad because they have so many students there im talking about a full house,but u know ines what god have for u is for u and no one can take it away.

AR in Blue Point, New York

84 months ago

Karen-
I believe that you are able to practice under a registered sonographer. In order for hospitals, and offices to get paid by insurance companies they want the sonographer to be registered....but I believe at this point you can work under a registered person...for how long I'm not sure...maybe someone working in the field right now could answer this better than I...I am going by what our program Director has told us. I do believe that in years to come all ultrasonographers will have to be registered in order to work....I think that is where this career is heading....that's why it is so important for people to attend CAAHEP schools, so they can sit for the registry right out of school and not have to wait....I know that if you have a BA you can sit for the exams without going to a CAAHEP institution but that may change one day also and not all students possess a Bachelors Degree.

SONJA in Miami, Florida

84 months ago

THANKYOU FOR THAT IVE BEEN UPSET ALL DAY FROM SOME OF THE RESPONSES IVE HEARD TODAY.

Ant410 in Westchester County, New York

83 months ago

I have been reading this forum and there seems to be alot of confusion about sitting for the registry. I'm an Ultrasound student, and we were told by the program director at our school that ARDMS did change the pre-req's to sit for the registry. Now EVERYONE has to wait a year to take the exam, regardless of whether you have a BA or not. It was changed about 5 months ago. Check the pre-req's on the website. It says it. Sorry guys.

Kim in Palo Alto, California

83 months ago

Ant410 in Westchester's statement is correct only if do not attend an accredited school. This is pre-requisite #3A. I go to an accredited school and I have a bachelors degree and I meet the pre-requisite under #2. Therefore I do not have to wait to take my exam. I can take it immediately after I graduate. I checked the website today (www.ardms.org). I can check with my program director if you think this has changed as well.

Kim

SONJA in Miami, Florida

83 months ago

Tammie in Chicago, Illinois said: As a vet in the US world, after reading these
comments and inquiries for these various schools and
programs, i am certainly glad that i chose to get
involved 15 yrs ago. At that time, my school of choice was not accredited and the cost was only $6000.00. I was lucky as a former xray tech, i was
able to get my clinical training at one of my temp
jobs as a xray tech. My advise to potential sonographers is, DON,T GIVE UP. BE PERSISTENT AND
IT WILL COME TO PASS.

P.S. I AM REGISTERED-DUE TO THE PRESSURE OF MY BOSSES

THANX FOR THAT TAMMIE THAT REALLY MADE ME FEEL A WHOLE LOT BETTER.

SONJA in Miami, Florida

83 months ago

Dena in Florida in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: The same thing has happened to me here in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida! I just graduated, but no one wants to hire w/out experience or ARDMS, or Registry eligible! This is terrible that these schools get away with not informing us about the facts of this profession!

DENA I AGREE WITH YOU WHOLE HEARTEDLY CAUSE I FEEL THE SAME WAY THAT YOU DO.I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK CAUSE WE ARE GOING TO NEED IT.

SONJA in Miami, Florida

83 months ago

Lindsay in APO said: I just want to clarify something. You don't HAVE to go to a CAAHEP accredited school to take the registry right away. If your school is at least a year long (and during that year you have FT clinicals) AND you have a Bachelors degree, OR 2 year allied health degree, you can take the registry right away. I know first hand, because I attended Southern Missouri Allied Health Education's DMS program (working on accred., but not there yet) and thanks to my Bachelor's degree I am already registered!

PRAYS THE LORD HAPPY TO HEAR SUCESS STORIES.

SONJA in Miami, Florida

83 months ago

SANDRA THATS WHAT IM AFRAID OF.

Ant410 in Westchester County, New York

83 months ago

Kim in Palo Alto, California said: Ant410 in Westchester's statement is correct only if do not attend an accredited school. This is pre-requisite #3A. I go to an accredited school and I have a bachelors degree and I meet the pre-requisite under #2. Therefore I do not have to wait to take my exam. I can take it immediately after I graduate. I checked the website today ( www.ardms.org ). I can check with my program director if you think this has changed as well.

Kim

So which accredidations is ARDMS looking for?

Hjl in Dallas, Texas

83 months ago

AR in North Hampton, New Hampshire said: I believe that Jamie is correct-if you go to the ARDMS website and look under exam requirements, look at Educational Prerequisites #2. It basically says that if you have graduated from an accredited program, and by doing your clinical work through the program, you can sit for the exam. Also go to the CAAHEP website for listings of accredited programs by state. So Michael sounds like you can sit for the exam just like Jamie did!

This is why everyone is harping on going to an "accredited program".....sounds like many of the previous posters went to a Sanford Brown type school.

Jamie what school did you attend? Just curious...

I am looking into a school in Dallas Tx and saw that Sandford Brown had an accredited program. Though it's very expensive (compared to community college) I have been considering it b/c of the ability to go ahead and start. I am extremely leary b/c I am not aware of it's reputation. Do you by any chance know of it's rep?

Tiffany in Los Angeles, California

83 months ago

I am curious if you are still reserching schools in Los Angeles? If so... we are in the same boat! I am also ans am so #$$%^^*! confused. I have visited Maric and will soon be going to West Coast to the open house. Both of which ARE NOT accrdited programs with CAAHEP. If you would like to compare notes please e-mail me at tdot.robinson@mac.com. thanks!!!

Sandra in Los Angeles, California said: I HAD NO IDEA THAT ALL THESE SCAMS WERE GOING ON...I SEEK TO BECOME AN ULTRASOUND TECHNICIAN AND ONE OF THE SCHOOLS THAT I WOULD LIKE TO GO TO IS MARIC COLLEGE HERE IN NORTH HOLLYWOOD AND IS ACCREDITED BY Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges of Technology (ACCSCT) AND ARE LICENSED TO OPERATE BY Bureau for Private Postsecondary and Vocational Education (BPPVE)...DOES THAT COUNT???

DOES THIS ONLY APPLY FOR SONOGRAPHY OR ALL HEALTH CAREERS???
SOMEONE PLZ TELL ME!!!!

us tech in Hillside, New Jersey

83 months ago

Guys, don't even bother with school that are not CAAHEP accredited. It's the waiste of money and your time. After the completion it will be very difficult to find a job.
My advise is go to any job search website and enter US tech. You will see, that one of the many requirements is that you must be form a CAAHEP approved school.
I'm sure there will be someone saying-oh, it's not true.
It's very difficult to get into the field without ARDMS and experience. And if you finish school that isn't CAAHEP, 80% you will not have either ARDMS nor Experience.
Skip it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hjl in Plano, Texas

83 months ago

I agree that only CAAHEP school is the way to go and the two schools I was interested in are listed on the CAAHEP website. I'm just a bit skeptical of Sandford Brown b/c I haven't heard of it before I began searching.

BjC in North, California

83 months ago

Hi Everyone, I suppose my questions are for practicing Sonographers. How many scans per day is considered the 'standard'. My hospital is wanting more outpatients done by each of us everyday.
Thanks.

MARIA in East Brunswick, New Jersey

83 months ago

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO THE CLASS ACTION SUIT THAT ULTRASOUND DIAGNOSTIC SCHOOL IN ISELIN, NJ HAD AGAINST THEM BECAUSE NONE OF THE STUDENTS WERE ABLE TO GET JOBS SINCE THEY WEREN'T ACCREDITED? ANY OF THE INSTRUCTORS AROUND?

tina in Los Angeles, California

83 months ago

hi, don,t go to the one in las angeles. I had a friend who is going there now and she is very unable happy/not newbridge either. I am here and i don,t this new teacher but I had one student who is transfering to hollewoodo but she said the one in beverly hill is good too, well I hope this help and let me know what happens. tina ,

Brittany

83 months ago

Hi, I am interested in Sonography very much so. I'm a high school senior, therefore i don't no much about this profession yet. I was wondering what kind of courses i should take, and how do I begin to look for the right ones. And i def. don't no what all of the ARDMS and CAAHEP stuff is about. Could someone possibly explain these things breifly?

tina in Tacoma, Washington

83 months ago

it's a good field to go in to but If you decide to go to private school, don't go to the one in la or newbridge, I've heard bad things about but the one in beverly hill is good , there all the same price . city college is good if you have the time . armds is the licency after all the class are done. private school can't take it until after one year of work, you can work but less $, city college can take the test right after the school to get the high paid.

heidi

83 months ago

Karen in Bohemia, New York said: Im attending IAMP thats institute of allied medical professions in may. I am take the ultrasound and im very nervous now. this is an accredited school its 10 months of school and 6 months of clinical. In order for me to take the registry I have to work for one year then take my registry. This school is $25,000 and its monday-thursday 6-10pm

Hi!

I am also interested in attending this schoool. What made you pick this school over stangord brown? I am trying to decide between the two.

83 months ago

Do not go to Sanford Brown. I was talking to one of the ultrasound tech's I work with and she states that is a horrible school

83 months ago

I am most likely going to withdraw my application at I.A.M.P because it is not an CAAHEP school and you haver to wait a year to take the registry. Its horrible that when you find a good school, and you might not be able to get a job after because of that stupid registry. Im so confused myself. These other schools want you to go full time what about the people who have to work to pay their bills and pay for this school. HELP!!!!

Charles Segovia in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

83 months ago

Dear Future Ultrasound Students:

If you would like an alternative to studying ultrasound in the US, please consider training with me. For more details on ultrasound training in abdomen and peripheral vascular ultrasound, please visit www.freewebs.com/charlessegoviaultrasound for more details. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Charles Segovia in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

83 months ago

To all future ultrasound students: If you are looking to learn abdominal and peripheral vascular ultrasound, please visit www.freewebs.com/charlessegoviaultrasound for more info.

Anne in Los Angeles, California

83 months ago

I have been an ultrasound tech for 5 years now and understand what everyone is going through. This may be quite lengthy, but I hope it explains everything.

To actually get a well paying, hospital based job, you would definitely have to attend a CAAHEP approved school. If you go to most major hospital's website, on the qualification, it usually indicate that you would need to attend an "accredited" or "CAAHEP" progran. CAAHEP is an organization which accredits healthcare education programs. I attended one in a local community college (there is only 3 that are accredited in SoCal: Orange Coast Community College, Cypress Community College, Loma Linda University Hosp (private)). Everything else, as far as I know, is not accredited. The do not guarantee training and you have to spend a crazy amount (25K-35K? Unbelieveable). I paid, maybe a couple of thousands and that is including books (let me tell you, books are more expensive than the class). These accredited programs have contracts with major hospitals in the area where you can train and possibly, hire you (that is what happened to me). It is a very difficult and rewarding career.

If you go to a program that is not accredited, then you would need a bachelors degree in a science program, x-ray tech or nurse to be able to sit for ARDMS. It has gotten difficult lately, a catch 22, you would need 3 yrs of hospital experience to be able to sit for the boards but no hospital will hire if you can not sit in under a year (here, it is 6 months). It is because a lot of the imaging labs are accredited and by being accredited by the ACR, all techs would need to be ARDMS within 1 year, if not, they lose accreditation or will fire you.

If you are ambitious, try a bachelor's degree program like Oregon Tech Institute. They are not accredited but since they are a bachelor's degree program, they can get away from being accredited. A lot of this info is on the ARDMS.ORG website. Good Luck!

Anne in Los Angeles, California

83 months ago

ARDMS is American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers.
www.ARDMS.org

CAAHEP is Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Program
www.CAAHEP.org

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Mary in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

83 months ago

I am presently a student at the Institute of Medical Ultrasound in Atlanta, although I live in Philly. I was referred to the schol by a past graduate who informed me that over 95% of their graduating students passed the RDMS exam on their 1st attempt.

I have been a student for 6 months and am very impressed by the quality of the course work, all of which is online.

If an online lecture and education is not to "cyber" for you, I would suggest you get more infromation from them.

Good luck whatever you do.

MJ in Colorado Springs, Colorado

83 months ago

I have AAS-Medical Assistant degree and looking for a school for Ultrasound. I found "Southwestern Community College- Sylva - Sylva, NC" under CAAHEP's Newly accredited school. Anyone knows about this school? Please give me some information.

manzi in Bloomingdale, Illinois

83 months ago

Hi guys,
I graduate my Ultrasound school and i need to register for license exam. Can anybody tell me the site where i can register.
Thanks in Advance!

heidi

83 months ago

Karen in Bohemia, New York said: I am most likely going to withdraw my application at I.A.M.P because it is not an CAAHEP school and you haver to wait a year to take the registry. Its horrible that when you find a good school, and you might not be able to get a job after because of that stupid registry. Im so confused myself. These other schools want you to go full time what about the people who have to work to pay their bills and pay for this school. HELP!!!!

Im sorry to hear that. Its great that you are getting the information now before starting. I have my BA so I will try to take the test right after. My question is how did you hear about the school (IAMP)? Word of mouth? Did you hear mostly positive or negative criticism? If you want an accredited school in NYC, look at Suny downstate, LIU, and NYU. Good luck!

tamoune in Suwanee, Georgia

83 months ago

if anyone attend iamp please let me know any information on that school. i hear negative and positive things regarding thier ultrasound program. please give your advice about the school and their programs. i heard they are in the process of accrediation. any input will be greatly appreciated

83 months ago

I googled Ultrasound schools and that school poped up I didn't hear anything negative. Thats good you have your ba. You should get in a.s.a.p it starts in May. The number is 1-212-758-1809. I just applied to molloy and I gonna apply to LIU.

83 months ago

The IAMP school is accredited but not CAAHEP accredited so you have to wait a year to take the registry exam.

Page:  « First « Previous   2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.