Ultrasound

Comments (251 to 300 of 477)
Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »   Last »

Liz Hernandez in Miami, Florida

87 months ago

Dena in Florida in Fort Lauderdale, Florida said: The same thing has happened to me here in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida! I just graduated, but no one wants to hire w/out experience or ARDMS, or Registry eligible! This is terrible that these schools get away with not informing us about the facts of this profession!

Hey, what school did you graduate from?

Liz Hernandez in Miami, Florida

87 months ago

LAYLA in Hollywood, Florida said: Sheena, I saw that you asked how much the program was at Keiser. If I am not mistaken, I believe it was almost 38,000. But they are great with the loans and financial aid. It's worth it, I was able to sit for the registry as soon as I graduated and I found a job with a hospital 3 months before I graduated. It may be different for you if you are not in So. Florida. I did the program at the Ft. Lauderdale campus and their tuition always changes. Hope this helps to anyone interested in going to Keiser!! Keep in mind that the school must be CAAHEP! If it is not, then you might as well just not even go to school for anything in Ultrasound. The ARDMS is very picky with that. You may be able to find a job, but be prepared to wait a while before getting registered.

Hey Layla,
I was thinking about going to Keiser too for the ultrasound program. Can you sit for the registry right after or do you have to wait a year? Did you like the school. I went tot he one in Ft. lauderdael Fl.

dmg in Hollywood, Florida

87 months ago

dmg in Hollywood, Florida said: WOW! I was looking at your rates and they are very HIGH. $200 a day. Too much my friend.

Sorry, this reply was for another comment. let me fix it.

Maximus in Arlington, Virginia

87 months ago

If this is a widespread problem in your school there is something called a class action lawsuit that you can file against the institution. As far as knowing before you attend any school check out the JRC-DMS website and it lists all of the accredited schools.

Dena in Overland Park, Kansas

87 months ago

Shelly in Tonganoxie, Kansas said: I just stumbled across this site and am wondering what all this is about? I am a registered ultrasound tech since 2001 and am wondering if the ARDMS prerequisits have been changed? This sounds ludacris to me! I went to a 1 year hospital based program that combined classroom and clinicals for a total of 40 hours per week. It was not accredited at the time. I was elligable to sit for 5 of the ARDMS boards upon graduation. And who is the CAAHEP? Never heard of them. If this is the kind of treatment potential ultrasound students/techs are getting, it is an outrage! This is a highly respected profession and in my part of the country we are just coming out of a severe technologist shortage that left most of us in the city with more work than could ever possibly be done. Not too many years ago, all the hospitals in the area were short staffed in ultrasound. It's terrible to know that there are people out there wanting to join the profession and being treated this way. I've never needed a degree, only my ARDM

Shelly, Where did you go to school to be an ultrasound tech? I am in Kansas City and am having trouble finding any schools that offer training as a tech. not Diagnostic Medical Sonographer, which, of course, requires a lot more education. Any advice? Thanks! Dena

blanche in Washington, District of Columbia

87 months ago

do u guys know how much is the salary per hour for a sonographer/ultrasound

Tom in Norristown, Pennsylvania

87 months ago

I provide temporary staffing and recruitment for the Ultrasound field and just stumbled across this. Many of the comments hit right at the heart of the problem, like it or not you will NEED to get registered by the ARDMS when you complete your program. I have many sonographers who are not registered because they were trained when most of it was "on the job" training and they are better techs than the ones that are registered but because of hospital policies or insurance reimbursment requirements. I know that one of the Schools here in Philadelphia had a class action lawsuit brought against it by its students and they received some of their tuition money back but it didnt help them get a job. You really want to attend a school that will allow you to take the ARDMS registry upon completion (I know there are a couple in Philly) Good Luck! and the good news is that the salaries are high enough and demand great enough that you will have no problem paying back student loans when you get a job.

Ingrid Liz in Miami, Florida

87 months ago

THE BEST I CAN TELL EVERYONE IS TO "RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!!! BELIEVE IT OR NOT I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO SIGN UP FOR SCHOOL FOR ABOUT 2-3 MONTHS. I HAVE GONE TO ABOUT 12 SCHOOLS IN FLORIDA AND GONE IN ALL THE WEBSITES TO DOUBLE CHECK THE INFO SCHOOLS ARE GIVING ME. MOST OF THE SCHOOLS TELL ME THEY ARE ACCREDITED, NNUT WHEN I CHECK IN THE ARDMS OR OTHER WEBSITES, THEY ARE NOT ON THE LIST. IF THE SCHOOL OS ACCREDITEED FOR THE ARDMA PROGRAM, YOU CAN SIT FOR THE ARDMS REGISTRATION UPON FINISHING SCHOOL! THIS IS ONLY IN A LIMITED AMOUNT OF SCHOOLS. IT GETS MORE CONFUSING THE MORE SCHOOLS I VISIT, BUT I AM ABLE TO ASK ALL THE RIGHT QUESTIONS FROM DAY ONE. ALSO, IN 90% OF THE SCHOOLS, AFTER SPENDING 2 YEARS IN THESE PROGRAMS, YOU CANNOT FURTHER YOUR EDUCATION BECAUSE MOST REAL COLLEGES OR UNIVERSITIES WILL NOT ACCEPT THE CREDITS FROM THESE SCHOOLS THEREFORE THE 2 YEARS WHERE YOU COULD HAVE GOTTEN AN AA, YOU ONLY HAVE A CERTIFICATE OR AN AS WHICH IS NOT TRANSFERABLE. WISH YOU ALL THE BEST. I HAVE NOR SIGNED UP YET! WILL KEPP EVERYONE INFORMED OF WHAT I DECIDE.

87 months ago

Check out GWU's website. www.gwu.edu and look under School of Medicine and Health Sciences for Sonography Program. We are accredited and as long as you meet entry level requirements we still have openings.

87 months ago

blanche in Washington, District of Columbia said: do u guys know how much is the salary per hour for a sonographer/ultrasound

Blance, The ARDMS provides a salary survey periodically and I think they did one fairly recently. Check out their website www.ardms.org for more information. In the DC metropolitan area if you are RDMS and moreso RVT you can anticipate about 25-30$ per hour. Sometimes in DC employers will pay around 40$ per hour due to parking and getting techs to come into the city but generally this is on a per diem basis. If you contract then you may bargain for upwards to 50-75$ per case but remember those jobs generally go to the experienced sonographer and may evaporate based on the business.

ScanMan in Atlanta, Georgia

87 months ago

Try schools with online training programs. I have worked with students from Institute of Medical Ultrasound (IMU) in Atlanta. Their program is 100% online, and I have been very impressed with the quality of their development. We will be making an offer to the present student.

May not hurt to Google them.

Good Luck!

87 months ago

Unless they have a hands on course I think it would be hard for them to be effective. I have seen kids come through a traditional program and their clinical rotation was cut short and they did not have the time to get the proper amount of "hands on" scanning.

87 months ago

I did google them but they arent accredited which means the student cant sit for the ARDMS boards when they complete the program. That is a big disadvantage since the hospitals will always hire a registered tech over a non registered tech (all other factors being equal)

lostnconfused in Columbus, Mississippi

87 months ago

Hey Tom if you go back and check other forums, e.g.-Schools in Atlanta, this same ScanMan poster is also the same "RDMS", "Caution Notice", "IMU student", etc that's spamming for THAT particular online school while discrediting other unaccredited schools.
Don't waste your time responding to him/her.

87 months ago

Tom,
I'm not trying to dis anyone here, however, I'm not sure you should take any advise from a "lostconfused" who obviously either doesn't know the facts, or is a frustrated student who can't get his RDMS.

I am not seeking training, I HAVE MINE. The problem with a forum is that there is no Q/A on the source of the information shared, or the accuracy. If you want to become a sonographer, start now and exercise a quality you will need to excel, take initiative and learn from a reliable source.

I'm not sure who the other parties are that have made reference to IMU, but have you ever thought that they may be individuals in the know? I guess it is easier to take the advice of someone going by the name "lostconfused" who lives in Mississippi to "inform" you about what is happening here in Atl.

YOU can learn, go to the website www.ardms.org/downloads/Prerequisite_Chart.pdf if you want to see what ARDMS is saying as it relates to sitting for your exam.......or you can follow the advice of a lost individual, trying to hold other people back as well.

As I have stated clearly, and if you read what is obvious, there are major problems with Sanford Brown, and IAMP. That does not come from me, but many students victemized by enrolling in their programs, only to regret it.

I have worked with students from Sanford Brown, Grady, and Institute of Medical Ultrasound. We will no longer accept students from Sanford Brown, however, will take students openly from Grady and IMU.

Grady is accredited, IMU is not. The fact that IMU is not accreditied only means that they are more selective in the credentials of the student they accept, and therefore may be why they have earned a very favorable reputation in this city...where I live, and K OW what I am talking about.

Grady students do quite wll and is cheaper than IMU. IMU has established multiple clinical site relationships which must speak to the fact they are well received in this city. Good Luc

87 months ago

Salary is dependent on the area (cardiac, vascular, gen/ob), the city you are in, private vs hospital based, etc. Also whether you have your RDMS.

87 months ago

Tom,

Checkout the response from Maximus (above). This is an individual that knows what the facts are

87 months ago

You are right LC, I should get paid. More important is addressing the amount of misinformation that permeates forums, and much of it is by individuals not in the field.

You say whatever you like about who you think I am. Point is, anyone pursuing a career in ultrasound should not be misled and believe these forums are the gospel that should be the criteria for directing their career options.

As I did, I suggest ALL of you to request information on ALL aspects of any of the schools you have an interest in. Ideally, try to go to a school during class or lab hours and make contact with present students. If there is something that is not on the up-n-up, they will tell you. I think you will get much more credible information, than what I say, or anyone else.

I happen to have worked with students from the various Atlanta schools. I see what their skills are, and also hear the issues, or frustrations they experience in training and getting employed to base my perspectives. This is the advantage I have, and being in the field I can speak from experience based on many years.

As I have stated previously, and I stand behind it now, the two schools in Atlanta I would consider are Grady, and IMU. Grady, however, does not offer cardiac training. IMU does offer both, and I heard will be offering vascular in the near future. Grady is accredited, while I understand IMU is in the process of seeking it.

ANYONE who graduates from a degree program can sit for their registry exam if the meet the admission requirements (College degree, or 2-years Allied health training).

Recruiter in San Diego, California

87 months ago

Check out Planned Parenthood. I'm not sure on the requirements but they offer entry level opportunities. I know they need someone in San Diego if you can relocate yourself. Great benefits! Check out www.planned.org for career opportunities.

87 months ago

ScanMan I have met with ARDMS representative's on a number of occasions and have always been told that the CAHEEP accredited program was the only way to be able to sit for the exam. After reading all the fine print on the ARDMS website you are correct. If the program were to have strict enough prerequisites (ie someone who already has their degree in another program etc) then they could sit for the exam (after putting in the Ultrasound education compnent) I didnt go look at the IMU's requirements to become a student but if they dont just take anybody and have strict requirements then it might not be a bad way to go. I am also a former Radiologic Technologist and have known many "on the job" trained techs that had become registered but I was told that the Caheep accredited school was the only way to get registered anymore ......I guess I was wrong! I do believe that a program that allows you to become registered upon completion is the way to go and any school that offers that would be a good bet.

sadie in Saint Louis, Missouri

87 months ago

Ines in Miami, Florida said: AR, thank you so much for the comments. I did read the report, I already had a feeling it was not the right path to take. I just wanted to see with my own eyes but thanks to you I will not waste my time attending the interview I had schedule for next week.

I wish more people like you contributed with comments!

I have been reading several comments about the people that have spent a lot of time and money on non-accredited ultrasound schools and I feel for you. Yes, it is true you need to attend an accredited ultrasound school.
I went to an accredited ultrasound school in St. Louis Mo. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. The director of the program is a control freak. She is very aware of the problems that occur when a student does not attend an accredited ultrasound school. The clinical sites that the school use can be very difficult.They know you have to test out of things, and they make it hard on you. Especially the older sonographers. Half of them did'nt have to go to school, they learned on the job. They make your life a living hell. I am not the only student that feels this way about the sites. Almost all the other students in the program had a story. I had a little bad luck toward the end of my last semester. My father had passed away so the director of the program, who was also my teacher, told me I could wait and take the rest of my final exams after the holidays. I also had to finish about a week of clinicals. I have passed all my exams but one. I am having trouble doing this. Because I did'nt pass this one test she is now making me do a self study program and is going to make me take a series of tests. I have rightfully completed everything that I need, to sit for my boards but a week of clinicals. She won't let me finish my clinicals until I pass this test. I am afraid I'm going to forget how to scan. I feel she is messing with just because she can. Don't know what to do. Any HELP!!!

ashleytrybula in Schaumburg, Illinois

87 months ago

I am currently going to school to be an ultrasound technician. I have a survey that needs to be filled out by someone who is already in this profession. It is an assignment for one of my classes.

I can email it to you if interested. I need this by the end of today: March 11 2008

Thanks in advance!

ashleytrybula in Schaumburg, Illinois

87 months ago

Tom in Norristown, Pennsylvania said: ScanMan I have met with ARDMS representative's on a number of occasions and have always been told that the CAHEEP accredited program was the only way to be able to sit for the exam. After reading all the fine print on the ARDMS website you are correct. If the program were to have strict enough prerequisites (ie someone who already has their degree in another program etc) then they could sit for the exam (after putting in the Ultrasound education compnent) I didnt go look at the IMU's requirements to become a student but if they dont just take anybody and have strict requirements then it might not be a bad way to go. I am also a former Radiologic Technologist and have known many "on the job" trained techs that had become registered but I was told that the Caheep accredited school was the only way to get registered anymore ......I guess I was wrong! I do believe that a program that allows you to become registered upon completion is the way to go and any school that offers that would be a good bet.

I am currently going to school to be an ultrasound technician. I have a survey that needs to be filled out by someone who is already in this profession. It is an assignment for one of my classes.

I can email it to you if interested. I need this by the end of today: March 11 2008

Thanks in advance!

My email is ashleytrybula@yahoo.com someone please help me!!

Kyle G in Kalamazoo, Michigan

87 months ago

Hello. I recently come across this website and have a few questions. I work in the research industry and have over 4000 hours of scanning time. This is a slight advantage over people that have zero probe time. I am fluent in the machine and techniques of actual imaging. I have been using a GE Vivid 7. I really have no interest in human sonography. With these circumstances, would it be in my best interest to do an online non-accreted or accreted school? Also, would there be any recommendations for a particular school (both non-accreted and accreted)?

87 months ago

Kyle, Since you do not have an interest in scanning people may I ask why you are planning on going to school? All the programs require a clinical component. However, if you are interested in possibly vetenary ultrasound this may be something different.

87 months ago

St. Louis, You realize you may have other options you have not exercised. First, do the series of tests have anything to do with your completion of the sonography core courses? If so, then you may need to complete them before the PD can give you a letter to sit for your boards. However, if they are not related to the sonography courses and you only need 1 week of clinical hours to complete the program I suggest you take the matter to someone higher in the university, such as the Dean. The Dean will review your class standing, grades and a variety of other issues to determine the best resolution. Before going make sure you know your facts.

Mary in Bay City, Michigan

87 months ago

Hello everyone, I have a really stupid question, but I have not been able to find an answer for it. When a sonographer becomes registered and certified, is it only good in the state they tested in, or is the certification good for all 50 states??? For example, I live in MI and if I wanted to move to NY, would I have to take the exam all over again to be certified in NY?

Ingrid Liz in Miami, Florida

87 months ago

The only accredited schools in Miami/Ft. lauderdale are Keiser University in Ft. lauderdale, Miami Dade Collede Medical Camous in Downtown Miami and Broward Community College in Ft. lauderdale Fl. Look no firther. I have deone 4 months of research on this. NO OTHER SCHOOLS ARE ACCREDITED. The trouble is Miami Dade and Broward require about 2 years of pre-requisites before entering into the 2 year program. Keiser offers a 2 year program that includes pre-reqs, but they have a 2 year waiting period to enter into the program.

Anne in Los Angeles, California

87 months ago

ARDMS is a national exam. You can take it with you wherever you go.

J in Paramus, New Jersey

87 months ago

Yeah all the registered sonographers that I know agree in one thing, you better go to an accredited sonography school that is accredited by CAAHEP. If your possible dean tell you that you must wait for a year or find internship after school is over, tell them have a nice day and I'll find another school. I guarantee you will pay more than what you should especially the effort and time you will be wasting. Be careful of vocational schools when they offer ultrasound. Accredited community colleges and universities are your best bet. If you are in NJ area, the best I know are Bergen Community College and University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey at least. Bergen makes the students go to different sites for clinicals every semester and they are pretty cheap. By the way even though I am an x ray tech, I bet a lot of you agree on this who are health professionals at least that the CARE bill should pass and later on, get two bills to get our salary to be higher and more respected in radiology and stop having schools in our area that just makes our field well blah in the market. That's just my two cents. I think I rambled too much, sorry.

87 months ago

Mary, The ARDMS registry is recognized worldwide and in all 50 states.

Erin in Atlanta, Georgia

87 months ago

Hi Everyone. I've been reading over all these comments and I think that some of you can help me with a few questions. First off, I currently am a university student studying Anthropology. I just dropped out of college because I just wasn't interested in the curriculum. My mom suggested that I look into DMS since she's in the medical field (lab tech), and that I would enjoy DMS a lot. I spent the last day looking into the accredited DMS schools here in Atlanta, and there aren't too many options. From what it looks like Sanford Brown is crap, as are the other ones (because they aren't accredited) except Grady. I don't have any experience in the medical field, so I'm considering going to a Tech school to get an associates degree in Radiology first, and then try and get into the DMS with Grady. I do NOT want to go to an online school and risk not getting the hands on clinicals that this profession needs. Since I can transfer some of my college core classes that I've already taken to the tech school in Gwinnett, it will probably take me little more than a year to be finished with the Radiology degree. So really my question is this; Do you think that this is a good path to go along?

Kim in Palo Alto, California

87 months ago

I guess a question that I have is: Why are you going to do the Rad Tech route first? Will you work in the X-Ray field for a few years before trying DMS? If you mention that it is just a stepping stone to DMS, I would think the officials in the admission department or faculty might be insulted and pass you by to select someone who is interested in their field. You might want to ask yourself what you really want to do, or what focus you want for a career. I heard that there is an amazing statistic that many people go into careers based upon what someone else says they might be good at without assessing what kinds of occupations are good matches for their personalities, goals and interests. If you are unsure, or just feel it is a good profession that makes a lot of money. I would take some career testing. Education is getting way to expensive and time consuming not to think about that. I am a first year Echo Student and from my brief expereince I would say that you have to be very focused, have a lot of support and really want it.

Erin in Atlanta, Georgia

87 months ago

Kim in Palo Alto, California said: I guess a question that I have is: Why are you going to do the Rad Tech route first? Will you work in the X-Ray field for a few years before trying DMS? If you mention that it is just a stepping stone to DMS, I would think the officials in the admission department or faculty might be insulted and pass you by to select someone who is interested in their field. You might want to ask yourself what you really want to do, or what focus you want for a career. I heard that there is an amazing statistic that many people go into careers based upon what someone else says they might be good at without assessing what kinds of occupations are good matches for their personalities, goals and interests. If you are unsure, or just feel it is a good profession that makes a lot of money. I would take some career testing. Education is getting way to expensive and time consuming not to think about that. I am a first year Echo Student and from my brief expereince I would say that you have to be very focused, have a lot of support and really want it.

My mom suggested the DMS career path because she knows what I am interested in, and that's why she suggested it. I trust my mother, and I really do want what's best for me. With that being said, do you think it would help me to get the degree in Radiology first? Grady will not accept me to the DMS program if I don't have previous experience in either Radiology or the medical field (2 years experience).

I am going to be shadowing a DMS technologist next week to see if it's really something worth pursuing for me. I realize it's going to take a lot of hard work and perseverance, and I'm ready to commit to a career that will make me happy.

lostnconfused in Mississippi

87 months ago

Are you not interested in attending other schools in GA or surrounding states, or are you trying to stay based in GA?
I totally agree with Kim in the fact that education is much too expensive and definitely time consuming. I would look into applying to other schools for DMS instead of following the stepping stone route-you could easily get trapped into something you don't want that way.

Jeff in Minneapolis, Minnesota

87 months ago

I am going to start school and I am wondering which track is better to take: general DMS or echocardiography. I would appreciate any help on this topic

Anne in Santa Fe Springs, California

87 months ago

If you are willing to do the extra two years in x-ray, I would highly encourage you to do that first and then go into ultrasound. You may not know it but there is so much more you can do when you are x-ray 1st. At some places, they pay a bit extra if you have an ARRT license. Who knows, you may like MRI or CT (no portables) and pays about the same. You can't do it if you are only ARDMS. However, don't be discourage if you found shadowing a tech for a week a bit boring (actually VERY boring). It is not interesting unless you actually hold a probe. I was bored out of my mind the first week of ultrasound because it was just staring at someone else in a dark cool room (not great after lunch *sleepy*). Once again, x-ray is great to do before you go into ultrasound, promise!

Kim in Minneapolis, Minnesota

87 months ago

Hi Jeff,

I am presently going the echo program at Agrosy (first year student), will you be going there as well? If you feel comfortable please send your personal email address to this site and I will contact you or perhaps we can meet for lunch to discuss.

Kim

Sono Success in New York, New York

87 months ago

Lys said: Hello Shanda,

I went to the Sanford Brown Institute (Formerly Ultrasound Diagnostic School) in Garden City, NY. It was NOT accredited, and it was very hard for me to find a job after I graduated, because I'm not registered, and I wasn't even eligible to sit for the exams until after one year of working, and they do not count school as "experience". Yes evey place has its quirks, youre right. NYU has a program, and my friend went there. She is registered in ABD and OB-GYN, but places didnt want her because she has no scanning experience. They taught the test, not the scanning. Therefore, it took her a while to find a job, she got it after volunteering, and she replaced a girl who couldnt get registered. I would advise you to go to a place where they have an accredited program, and take the boards ASAP. It's very hard to get back into physics and abd once youre out of school for a year or more for these tests. Trust me. Good luck :)

Lys

Take the physics tutoring course in your area it is very helpful and concentrates on the exam ony. 516/622-1400

Jeff in Minneapolis, Minnesota

87 months ago

Hey Kim, I am going to Argosy. How do you like it so far? Is it a good school? Do you know any advantages of echo versus general. I am signed up for echo. Email back if you can!! jgrabow10@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Jeff

Eileen in Helena, Montana

87 months ago

Sandra in Spring, Texas said: I just finished Ultrasound school in Jan. and I have not been able to find a job in Houston. The feedback I am getting is that I need to have one year experience and your clinical does not count. If no experience you must be registered. I went to a school that was not CAAHEP recognized so I would have to wait a year (working) to be able to take the registry, but I can't get a job because I don't have "experience". I really stuck! I have tried everything to get a job and no one cares!.

Some schools out there are not worth the time and money invested. And when you are finished you are not even a candidate for a job. You need to find a program that when you are finished, you are registry eligible. Otherwise, who would want to hire someone that they are going to have to train for a year before they can officially use them. And any facility willing to hire someone that isn't registered is not any place I would want to receive my health care or would want to work for.
My advice, go back to school, but this time, find a reputable school that is certified.
Eileen, BS, RDMS

Anne in Santa Fe Springs, California

87 months ago

Here Here Eileen! I repeatedly encourage people to go the long but safest route (meaning go to a CAAHEP school)! You get the best training and then you are registry eligible and are able to work right away. Don't throw your money to a $30K school and graduate with nothing!

lostnconfused in Mississippi

87 months ago

Yes Eileen (and Anne). Please stay here and post more often.

jhennzzz in Jamaica, New York

87 months ago

Karen in Bohemia, New York said: I googled Ultrasound schools and that school poped up I didn't hear anything negative. Thats good you have your ba. You should get in a.s.a.p it starts in May. The number is 1-212-758-1809. I just applied to molloy and I gonna apply to LIU.

karen

are you still going in iamp? and what school are you talking about for the number that did you post

Karen in Holbrook, New York

87 months ago

Im not going to IAMP because I do not have my BA and you have to wait a year to take the registry. The number that I posted was for IAMP

jhennzzz in Jamaica, New York

87 months ago

Karen in Holbrook, New York said: Im not going to IAMP because I do not have my BA and you have to wait a year to take the registry. The number that I posted was for IAMP

tnx.. now i'm confuse if i still want to go there.

Hosp RDMS in Atlanta, Georgia

87 months ago

jhennzzz in Jamaica, New York said: tnx.. now i'm confuse if i still want to go there.

Another option would be to look at schools with online programs in your area. I am familiar with Institute of Medical Ultrasound (IMU) in Atlanta. They have students here, but also have distant students who do their clincal rotations where they live. I do know that you need 2 years of allied health training or a college degree to get in though. I believe they are strict about this to ensure that their graduates can sit for the registry exams once thy finish and not have to wait a year. From working with the students from their I understand that they are in the process of getting accredited.

Good luck!

Laurel Collins in Los Angeles, California

86 months ago

Has anyone sought legal advice concerning this? I've considered, but hell, I am already 30k in the hole. I just feel it is legitimate and could be a case - for fraud...just curious if anyone else -who has graduated from an unaccredited school has considered legal options? I am sure these schools have all kinds of loopholes to protect themselves, but who knows!

86 months ago

They did file a class action suit against a school in Philadelphia and won however after all the lawyers were paid only the one tech who initiated the case was paid back her full tuition everyone else received somewhere in the range of $1,800. The best thing is to do your research prior to signing up.

cece atl in atlanta, Georgia

86 months ago

ScanMan in Atlanta, Georgia said: You are right LC, I should get paid. More important is addressing the amount of misinformation that permeates forums, and much of it is by individuals not in the field.

You say whatever you like about who you think I am. Point is, anyone pursuing a career in ultrasound should not be misled and believe these forums are the gospel that should be the criteria for directing their career options.

As I did, I suggest ALL of you to request information on ALL aspects of any of the schools you have an interest in. Ideally, try to go to a school during class or lab hours and make contact with present students. If there is something that is not on the up-n-up, they will tell you. I think you will get much more credible information, than what I say, or anyone else.

I happen to have worked with students from the various Atlanta schools. I see what their skills are, and also hear the issues, or frustrations they experience in training and getting employed to base my perspectives. This is the advantage I have, and being in the field I can speak from experience based on many years.

As I have stated previously, and I stand behind it now, the two schools in Atlanta I would consider are Grady, and IMU. Grady, however, does not offer cardiac training. IMU does offer both, and I heard will be offering vascular in the near future. Grady is accredited, while I understand IMU is in the process of seeking it.

ANYONE who graduates from a degree program can sit for their registry exam if the meet the admission requirements (College degree, or 2-years Allied health training).

I would just like to know does i really matter if you come from a school that is not accredited? can you still find a job as long as you get the hands on you need in schools. because after doing research i have found a few schools that are not accrredited but the students feel they have learned a lot.

Page:  « First « Previous   3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.